PDA

View Full Version : Anybody familiar with wikitrail.org

wordstew
12-08-2017, 13:13
Was checking out this site recently...Anybody use it? Please opine

http://www.wikitrail.org/trails/view/at/appalachian-trail

El JP
12-08-2017, 18:28
In combination with Awol's Guide and National Geo maps, it has been rather useful in plotting checkpoints and re supply. Also helped in breaking down the trail into numerous reasonable sections rather than huge distances between points.

Which Way
12-08-2017, 22:11
I am planning my thru hike for 2018. I wrote down every bubble on the map with all the starting-ending points, the mileage and the avg. grade. It made me aware of the different points along the way, and will help me plan my hike. Thanks wordstew!

wordstew
12-09-2017, 00:23
I am planning my thru hike for 2018. I wrote down every bubble on the map with all the starting-ending points, the mileage and the avg. grade. It made me aware of the different points along the way, and will help me plan my hike. Thanks wordstew!

From what I have read it looks like you can create your route on this site and then download it into your phone to use when offline on the trail.... enjoy your hike

Ruck
12-09-2017, 09:54
It’s useful for route planning, but needs to be used with a topo map (physical or elec.) to really figure resupplies because pace varies over terrain. Water info has been accurate where I’ve used it in the Mid-Atlantic region.

TJ aka Teej
12-09-2017, 10:55
Looked to me like the info was lifted directly from Guthook.

wordstew
12-09-2017, 12:11
Looked to me like the info was lifted directly from Guthook.

I've used Guthook and like it. As for wiki trail.org I don't believe there is any cost associated with using it. I will be curious to hear if anyone find ultility of it over the guthook app or if one would complement/augment the other