PDA

View Full Version : Garmin InReach or similar device

Redbird2
12-08-2017, 16:09
For those who've actually carried this device or something similar, would you do it again? Was it worth it's weight? Did it give you or your family the peace of mind knowing you could communicate?

rhjanes
12-08-2017, 16:53
Yep. It interfaces nicely with the Earthmate app to send emails. I usually just send the wife two...."OK, Starting here" and "OK, Finishing here". She loves it as she knows roughly where I am and that I can SOS if needed. My wife/family was really concerned on my first "I'm vanishing into the mountains, NO CELL service and will be back in 5 days".....that was met with a "Oh REALLY!!!". Until I said I'd get and use this device. Even just testing it, left the family with a collective "ahh.....OK". Well worth it.

LoneStranger
12-08-2017, 17:23
Yup. Yup. Yup.

The weather reports can be nice sometimes too.

Coffee
12-08-2017, 18:20
Yes, I have one and have carried it in the Sierra Nevada the last two summers. I really like the two way communication capability. I leave instructions to family to only contact me in emergencies. I like the fact that message sending confirmations exist, unlike the Spot. Recommended.

Maui Rhino
12-08-2017, 18:52
Love mine for the peace of mind it gives my wife. It especially came in handy on my JMT hike. I was supposed to meet a horse packer on day 15 for a resupply, but was unable to make the daily miles I had planned in the comfort of my home. Thanks to my inReach, I was able to coordinate with my wife at home to let them know I would be a day late..... Saved my hike.

scrabbler
12-08-2017, 20:21
Have InReach and would recommend to anyone, good to have, esp if folks at home worry.

johnspenn
12-08-2017, 20:34
If your loved ones are left behind and tend to worry, it's invaluable. The suckers are pretty heavy tho lol.

DuneElliot
12-08-2017, 21:21
I agree with everything that was said above me. I actually had to use mine to connect with my parents when my water filter froze I needed to get a replacement halfway through a week-long trip.

jjozgrunt
12-08-2017, 23:14
I bought mine, Inreach, originally for traveling in mainland Africa and on Madagascar for business. My wife loved that she could track me on a map and we could text from anywhere. Then when my PLB needed renewing I just decided to carry it instead on walks. Invaluable in really remote areas, read most of Australia. Used it twice once for me and once for another bushwalker I found injured on a trail. Two way comms with the rescue/medical people are a bonus.

Tundracamper
12-09-2017, 09:12
If you want to be able to communicate, sure. I wanted to give my family peace of mind that even when I couldn't communicate and something happened, I could get help (those positioning devices are not very powerful). That's why I got a PLB. Now my family knows hat I can get help in any situation and to not worry if they don't hear from me.

jjozgrunt
12-09-2017, 09:35
If you want to be able to communicate, sure. I wanted to give my family peace of mind that even when I couldn't communicate and something happened, I could get help (those positioning devices are not very powerful). That's why I got a PLB. Now my family knows hat I can get help in any situation and to not worry if they don't hear from me.

I've never understood the quote they are not very powerful. Both times I have had text from the control in Denver? within minutes, and then contact from the Australian Rescue within 10 minutes. People who have used a PLB have no idea their signal is being heard until someone turns up. Knowing help is on the way instead of hoping it's coming can be a very powerful tool when dealing an injured person. It also helped the rescue people knowing what they were dealing with. I had a PLB just find the inreach more useful.

DuneElliot
12-09-2017, 10:39
I've never understood the quote they are not very powerful. Both times I have had text from the control in Denver? within minutes, and then contact from the Australian Rescue within 10 minutes. People who have used a PLB have no idea their signal is being heard until someone turns up. Knowing help is on the way instead of hoping it's coming can be a very powerful tool when dealing an injured person. It also helped the rescue people knowing what they were dealing with. I had a PLB just find the inreach more useful.

I think it has to do with the power of the signal...I don't know the exact specs but the PLBs put out a locating emergency call at something 10x the power that the Spot and InReach do. It's the difference between say a handheld walkie talkie radio and an HF backpack radio. I am a Ham Technician so know what difference power can make with a unit.

Coffee
12-09-2017, 11:57
Plus one thing about PLBs is that the battery is one use - if you trigger the unit, you have to send it in for battery replacement before it is operational again. Battery life is five years. They are more powerful but single purpose in nature. I wanted a device primarily for making my family and friends comfortable with my trips. I should note that the InReach usually picks up a signal within a few minutes but sometimes more if under forest cover.

if I didn't have anyone back home who cared to monitor my progress I would definitely carry a PLB but the InReach is good for my purposes.

Fireplug
12-09-2017, 12:35
I love my Inreach. The only reason I carry it, is because my family and friends like to watch my progress on earthmate.

JJ505
12-09-2017, 12:38
I've thought about a PLB. Can't really think of anyone else to use it with so that SPOT is just more expensive--if you think of monthly payments (though I think the initial cost is less). This one is the most inexpensive PLB I've seen. https://www.amazon.com/McMurdo-Fast-Find-220-PLB/dp/B008OPJGBC

The InReach has the advantage of also being a GPS.

Venchka
12-09-2017, 13:50
I've thought about a PLB. Can't really think of anyone else to use it with so that SPOT is just more expensive--if you think of monthly payments (though I think the initial cost is less). This one is the most inexpensive PLB I've seen. https://www.amazon.com/McMurdo-Fast-Find-220-PLB/dp/B008OPJGBC

The InReach has the advantage of also being a GPS.
I saw no mention of the McMurdo unit being waterproof. Is it waterproof? Floating?
I own the ResQLink+ purchased from REI. It rides on my backpack shoulder strap. Ready to send two signals for 24 hours.
https://www.rei.com/product/843146/acr-electronics-resqlink-gps-personal-locator-beacon
Wayne

JJ505
12-09-2017, 16:36
I saw no mention of the McMurdo unit being waterproof. Is it waterproof? Floating?
I own the ResQLink+ purchased from REI. It rides on my backpack shoulder strap. Ready to send two signals for 24 hours.
https://www.rei.com/product/843146/acr-electronics-resqlink-gps-personal-locator-beacon
Wayne

From what I read, waterproof but not buoyant. They have other units that float.

steady123
12-09-2017, 18:04
I hike the AT now with the Inreach. Previously used a SPOT. SPOT would sometimes NOT send a preset message and neither I nor the recipient knew until I got home. I know configure the Inreach to send the recipient and me on the Inreach preset messages. If I get a message back which I sent home I know the message home made it.

Venchka
12-09-2017, 18:15
From what I read, waterproof but not buoyant. They have other units that float.
A nice unit and price. Details from McMurdo:
“The battery enables it to operate continuously for a minimum of 24 hours. Waterproof to a depth of 10m, the FastFind 220 is also supplied with a flotation pouch, for easy retrieval.”
Does anyone know how long the InReach will broadcast? What is the battery life with minimal on trail use?
Wayne

blw2
12-09-2017, 21:12
my understanding is that the satellite network used by inreach is not as extensive as that used by the plb. Also, I don't believe the inreach transmits the VHF location signal either, does it? (VHF being picked up by aircraft, both overflying airliners and Civil Air Patrol coming to look for you, and then the searchers can use it to home in on your location using DF equipment)

Regarding how long it transmits....My best guess based on my research is that it doesn't work the same way. It sends out a message with gps coordinates. I'm thinking it's not a continuous transmit thing.

My read on them is that both systems offer some strong pros and cons...
if you want to be found, the PLB is likely better.
but the iridium device offers support on lots of other levels.

A big drawback in my thinking with the inreach is, that if you have been using the device to chat with home and draw down the battery before you really need it for emergency, it might put you in a bad situation.... on the otherhand, IF its not relying on a constant transmission, maybe you don't need much battery to get a signal out...assuming you have satellite view

tflaris
12-09-2017, 23:02
Love mine. I carry it religiously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coffee
12-10-2017, 11:34
Regarding the InReach battery, I only use maybe 2% per day sending two or three messages and then turning it off the rest of the time. I don't use tracking. It's always in a shoulder strap pocket. Initially I was concerned about having to recharge often but that's a total non issue the way I use it.

DuneElliot
12-10-2017, 18:13
Regarding the InReach battery, I only use maybe 2% per day sending two or three messages and then turning it off the rest of the time. I don't use tracking. It's always in a shoulder strap pocket. Initially I was concerned about having to recharge often but that's a total non issue the way I use it.

I have never got below 90% on a week long trip but I also only use it for morning and evening check-in messages. I don't use tracking either.

JJ505
12-10-2017, 19:47
Delorme Inreach (vs the Garmin) are cheaper (around $250). Much limited GPS (I think black and white screen, don't know as I have never seen one IRL).

Venchka
12-10-2017, 19:53
Delorme Inreach (vs the Garmin) are cheaper (around $250). Much limited GPS (I think black and white screen, don't know as I have never seen one IRL).
Garmin bought DeLorme. I would make sure that Garmin supports the older models.
Wayne

TX Aggie
12-10-2017, 23:02
my understanding is that the satellite network used by inreach is not as extensive as that used by the plb. Also, I don't believe the inreach transmits the VHF location signal either, does it? (VHF being picked up by aircraft, both overflying airliners and Civil Air Patrol coming to look for you, and then the searchers can use it to home in on your location using DF equipment)

Regarding how long it transmits....My best guess based on my research is that it doesn't work the same way. It sends out a message with gps coordinates. I'm thinking it's not a continuous transmit thing.

My read on them is that both systems offer some strong pros and cons...
if you want to be found, the PLB is likely better.
but the iridium device offers support on lots of other levels.

A big drawback in my thinking with the inreach is, that if you have been using the device to chat with home and draw down the battery before you really need it for emergency, it might put you in a bad situation.... on the otherhand, IF its not relying on a constant transmission, maybe you don't need much battery to get a signal out...assuming you have satellite view

While the InReach doesn’t continuously transmit a locator signal, what it does transmit is specific GPS coordinates.

I used to be on a Civil Air Patrol SAR team, and the PLB’s are a great device, but they’re not very precise. It takes multiple passes past the beacon to actually hone in on the signal.

With regards to power: the biggest difference between the two devices is the PLBs locator beacon is an a oooh signal, which take MUCH more power to operate effectively, vs the InReach which uses a digital signal. For comparison, this is why it’s easy to receive 20 or more channels with the new digital TV antennas at the same location where you used to get 4.

Shutterbug
12-10-2017, 23:27
One thing to keep in mind when deciding between a PLB and an InReach is that emergencies happen at home too. A PLB doesn't have a receiver so if your family has an emergency, there is no way to reach you. With an InReach, the communication is both ways.

This summer my son and I were on the Wonderland Trail. One of his children had a medical issue that needed his attention. My daughter-in-law contacted us on the InReach. We hiked to the nearest trailhead and headed home. If we had been carrying only a PLB, it would have been another 4 days before we made contact with home.

JJ505
12-10-2017, 23:36
The ACR PLB allows some units to send, I think I have this right, a text message to your phone which sends the message (on common carriers like Verizon, Spring, etc.) for a service fee. I don't believe it's as complete a service as something like a SPOT has.

connolm
12-11-2017, 07:24
I have an I Reach and love it. Got it when they were DeLorme and haven't had any problems through the Garmin takeover.

Several thoughts:

Because it supports two-way messaging, you will get confirmation of your SOS and can begin dialog with rescuers. (Caveat: I've never used the SOS.) In the scenario they advertise, someone breaks a leg, pushes SOS, and then communicates nature of the energency with dialog.

I purchase the GEOS search and rescue insuance through Garmin/DeLorme for only $18 per year. It covers associated rescue fees $50K per occurence to max $100K. Seems like a good deal.

If you use the tracking feature and "share" your map, designated "friends" can see where you are on your map in real-time down to 10 minute intervals. This is useful in case you go missing without pressing SOS - ie, get incapacitated, fall down a well, buried in avalanche, etc. Your last known coordinates will be available - even if just for body recovery.

Plans and prices are cheaper than satellite phones. Those are still in the $800-1500 range with $150 month airtime fees. This InReach is a nice middle ground between a PLB and a sat phone.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
12-11-2017, 09:20

The Garmin ones are 450 the DeLorme version is 250 but they are older. They have full capability on GPS and have a colored not black and white screen

Garmin bought DeLorme. I would make sure that Garmin supports the older models.
Wayne

Garmin still supports all the older models. I had to replace my SE because it quit charging but my Explorer works just fine.

It is worth buying the older version if you can still find one due to the $200 price difference. I actually managed to find my DeLorme Explorer on sale for $200 and the store gave me a discount which made it $175.

rhjanes
12-11-2017, 09:20
On the Delorme tracking, there is a downside to frequent tracking points being sent. Battery life. I had mine on some frequent interval and the battery discharges much faster than with it set at say, 2 hours.

Coffee
12-11-2017, 13:28
Being able to be informed of emergencies *off trail* is an important feature of the InReach for me. Although I do not keep it turned on all the time, I do turn it on every morning to see if I have messages, and then incoming messages are checked automatically when I sent in check-ins around lunchtime and when I set up camp. If there's some serious problem back home, I'd want to know about it. But I've made it very clear that ONLY emergencies that would likely make me want to abort my trip should be sent to me. I don't need to know if someone is suffering from tooth pain or has a minor cold. I don't want to use the InReach to chat. That would break the wilderness experience for me.

Redbird2
12-11-2017, 16:06
Like many of you, my plan was to use the InReach twice a day to send check-in messages and to receive any emergency messages that might require me to leave the trail. Seems like money well spent. The good news is that you only need to pay for service for the months that you'll actually need it. God forbid you actually have a legitimate emergency, you will have another tool in your tool belt for dealing with it.

JJ505
12-11-2017, 20:06
The Garmin ones are 450 the DeLorme version is 250 but they are older. They have full capability on GPS and have a colored not black and white screen
Garmin still supports all the older models. I had to replace my SE because it quit charging but my Explorer works just fine.

It is worth buying the older version if you can still find one due to the $200 price difference. I actually managed to find my DeLorme Explorer on sale for $200 and the store gave me a discount which made it $175.

Thanks for the good info. Yes, it looks like you might be able to get one for quite a good price.