PDA

View Full Version : Shoelace wax vs. tying techniques

RuthN
12-09-2017, 15:02
Looking for opinions on the best ways to keep boot laces from loosening. Someone suggested shoelace wax. Is that effective and is it more or less effective than finding a knot specific to your needs?

Venchka
12-09-2017, 15:13
Tie as usual. Take the two loops and tie an overhand knot. Works for me & never comes untied. Since forever.
There are knot tying videos online.
Wayne

daddytwosticks
12-09-2017, 15:34
Double-knot and be done with it. I do this all the time with my hiking footwear. :)

Venchka
12-09-2017, 15:43
Double-knot and be done with it. I do this all the time with my hiking footwear. :)
That makes two of us.
Wayne

Cheyou
12-09-2017, 15:45
Save the wax for your mustache. Just double knot

RuthN
12-09-2017, 16:20
Save the wax for your mustache. Just double knot

Lol, if I grow a mustache I have bigger problems than tying my shoes. ;)

RuthN
12-09-2017, 16:57
That makes two of us.
Wayne

My issue is not necessarily keeping them from untying. My heel slips somewhat in the boots. The surgeon's knot helps but as I walk the laces loosen up.

Feral Bill
12-09-2017, 17:05
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm This is what you want.

RuthN
12-09-2017, 17:06
Looking at a video for the surgeon's knot, I realized that since my boot only has one pair of eyelets that may be the problem. I have these: https://www.rei.com/product/113733/merrell-moab-2-vent-mid-hiking-boots-womens

RuthN
12-09-2017, 17:07

I'll try this one. Thank you.

Venchka
12-09-2017, 17:08
Different ballgame. Need more input. What brand/model/photo of boots?
Off the wall question: Why boots?
Wayne

HooKooDooKu
12-09-2017, 17:09
Tie as usual. Take the two loops and tie an overhand knot. Works for me & never comes untied.
Still comes untied for me...

Add I don't know exactly what a double knot is...

But what works for me without fail is to tie a normal knot... but when you go around the bow, go around twice.

Venchka
12-09-2017, 17:19
Different ballgame. Need more input. What brand/model/photo of boots?
Off the wall question: Why boots?
Wayne
Never mind.
Ironically, I gave away my Moab Mids last week.
HooKooDooKu:
Look up overhand knot. Take the two loops made after tying your shoes and tie them together in an overhand knot. I’m guessing that is also known as double knotted.
Wayne

1azarus
12-09-2017, 19:36
I'll try this one. Thank you.

I use this knot every time I tie my shoes...That's the only way I can be good enough at it to be willing to use it. Works wonderfully...

Hikingjim
12-09-2017, 20:08
Not sure if this was mentioned above under a different name, but I do the heel lock on my hikers. easier to tie tighly, doesn't loosen on me
https://www.locklaces.com/blogs/resources/how-to-tie-a-heel-lock

Venchka
12-09-2017, 20:12
Not sure if this was mentioned above under a different name, but I do the heel lock on my hikers. easier to tie tighly, doesn't loosen on me
Can this work with the open hooks on Ruth’s Moab Mids?
Wayne

KCNC
12-09-2017, 21:02

This is how I lace my hiking and running shoes. Learned it from the Auburn equipment manager several years ago and love it. Combine it with the first step of a surgeon's knot when tying the laces (before double knotting the bows) and everything is rock solid.

KCNC
12-09-2017, 21:03
Can this work with the open hooks on Ruth’s Moab Mids?
Wayne

I don't see how it would adapt well. Generally does best with shoes that have the "extra" eyelets slightly behind the top of the tongue in my experience.

JJ505
12-09-2017, 21:40
Merrell Moabs have lousy laces, at least they did when I had them. I substituted lock laces, but I don't like the new design. Also I read somewhere to make sure your shoes are tied with a square knot vs a granny knot. A square knot will make a neat bow that sits horizontally. The granny knot sits on a diagonal. I did find this helped.

Analog_Kidd
12-10-2017, 08:58

This is the absolute best knot I've ever used for tieing shoes. Since I started using this knot, I've never had them come loose. And it's easy to untie.

fiddlehead
12-10-2017, 09:04
cord locks.

MtDoraDave
12-10-2017, 09:31
I just use the regular, quick, poke the lace through the hole and pull it tight method. The guy at the outfitter told me the two loops method holds better, but I've never had my laces come loose the way I've done it since I was 4. I pull the knot really tight. It stays. Perhaps, as others have suggested, it's the lace that comes with some boots?

I do, however, tighten my laces for a long downhill section to keep my toes from sliding forward into the toe box.

If your "heel slips somewhat in the boots", it's not the knot that's the problem, but the boots or the insole. Lots of hikers use the Superfeet insoles... perhaps give them a try?

Analog_Kidd
12-10-2017, 10:32
If you use the old fashioned shoe tieing method we learned as kids, it's important to pay attention to the way you cross the laces. For instance if you make the first overhand knot right lace over left, and then make the second part of the knot also right over left, you end up with a granny knot. Reverse the second one and you get a square knot. I realised I was doing grannys all my life. When I changed, to a square, my shoes came untied a lot less often.

TexasBob
12-10-2017, 10:46
If you use the old fashioned shoe tieing method we learned as kids, it's important to pay attention to the way you cross the laces. For instance if you make the first overhand knot right lace over left, and then make the second part of the knot also right over left, you end up with a granny knot. Reverse the second one and you get a square knot. I realised I was doing grannys all my life. When I changed, to a square, my shoes came untied a lot less often.

After 60 years of tying my shoes and wondering why they came untied often, a couple of months ago I realized that I was tying granny knots and when I started tying a square as you described they never come untied. I guess I wasn't paying attention when my Mom taught me to tie my own shoes.

RuthN
12-10-2017, 11:13
I don't see how it would adapt well. Generally does best with shoes that have the "extra" eyelets slightly behind the top of the tongue in my experience.

I think I'm going to have to go back to REI and re-evaluate the boot altogether.

The problem may simply be the size. I have tiny feet. In everyday shoes I wear a 3 junior (kid's size), generally no larger than 3-1/2. My boots are a 6 women's, and while I understand the need for extra room to accommodate for foot swelling and to prevent toes bumping against the toe box, I feel like my feet are swimming in them. If they were ordinary shoes I would never, ever have bought this size. Maybe I need to try a kid's size. (Plus, kid's sizes are half the price of adults!)

Venchka
12-10-2017, 11:28
I think I'm going to have to go back to REI and re-evaluate the boot altogether.

The problem may simply be the size. I have tiny feet. In everyday shoes I wear a 3 junior (kid's size), generally no larger than 3-1/2. My boots are a 6 women's, and while I understand the need for extra room to accommodate for foot swelling and to prevent toes bumping against the toe box, I feel like my feet are swimming in them. If they were ordinary shoes I would never, ever have bought this size. Maybe I need to try a kid's size. (Plus, kid's sizes are half the price of adults!)
There it is. The whole story.
Something it’s taken me decades and hundreds of dollars to figure out: After you’re professionally fitted for hiking shoes/boots, buy a half size larger. You won’t get blisters or loose toenails.
Do you shop at the REI on Westheimer or the one on 1960? I really miss REI since I retired and moved to the country. I don’t miss Houston.
As for shoes with extra eyelets: They are gone with the exception of a few high end running shoes.
Good luck!
Wayne

JJ505
12-10-2017, 12:40
It's what I was saying was a square knot vs a Granny knot. Odd but this does have a rather big effect and I was doing it wrong (sometimes) for years.

RuthN
12-10-2017, 13:35
There it is. The whole story.
Something it’s taken me decades and hundreds of dollars to figure out: After you’re professionally fitted for hiking shoes/boots, buy a half size larger. You won’t get blisters or loose toenails.
Do you shop at the REI on Westheimer or the one on 1960? I really miss REI since I retired and moved to the country. I don’t miss Houston.
As for shoes with extra eyelets: They are gone with the exception of a few high end running shoes.
Good luck!
Wayne

Do you mean a half size larger than the boot they recommended? Or do you mean I should look for a kid's 4 or 5?

I go to the Baybrook REI because it's the closest to me. They're awesome. I went to the Westheimer store recently to get something Baybrook didn't carry.

Thanks for all your advice - I really appreciate it.

Venchka
12-10-2017, 14:52
Do you mean a half size larger than the boot they recommended? Or do you mean I should look for a kid's 4 or 5?

I go to the Baybrook REI because it's the closest to me. They're awesome. I went to the Westheimer store recently to get something Baybrook didn't carry.

Thanks for all your advice - I really appreciate it.
Sizing: In my particular case, in a shoe store I measure as a size 9. As a result of wearing Size 9 hiking footwear I get instant blisters and/or loose toenails. I finally saw the light. I exchanged the size 9 for size 9 1/2. No blisters or lost toenails.
Kids shoes only come in whole sizes. REI stocks Vasque kids boots. Unfortunately, they only come in waterproof varieties.
The REI phone app will show what stores have a particular product.
Good luck!
Wayne

El JP
12-11-2017, 10:10
cord locks.

Bingo.

This is exactly what i was going to post. Been using ones i've i picked up from Brigade Quartermasters for years.

JPritch
12-11-2017, 10:56
Heel Lock for the win. If you don't have the extra eyelets needed to do the heel lock, drill them in! It's the best lacing technique to deal with slippy heels.

Highland Goat
12-11-2017, 11:44
When I ran Cross-Country in College we used the one linked below, which is a variant on the Surgeon’s knot. It is easy to tie, easy to untie, and is secure.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/surgeonknot.htm
I am afraid that “double knotting,” fails on the second point.

RuthN
12-16-2017, 02:14
Heel Lock for the win. If you don't have the extra eyelets needed to do the heel lock, drill them in! It's the best lacing technique to deal with slippy heels.

I went back to REI today and the young lady showed me how to do the heel lock lacing. Problem. Solved. :)

Venchka
12-16-2017, 14:58
I went back to REI today and the young lady showed me how to do the heel lock lacing. Problem. Solved. :)
Bummer. Grinning. You don’t get to buy new shoes.
I guess this old geezer needs to learn something new.
Good luck with your hiking.
Wayne

handlebar
12-16-2017, 20:54
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm This is what you want. +1. I've been using this for years and it really works, plus just pull on the end (first making sure it hasn't passed through a loop) and the knot comes untied.

Odd Man Out
12-16-2017, 22:30

A number of years ago I was having trouble with laces coming untied so I Googled tying techniques and found Ian's page. I have used it ever since and never had a lace untie since. Guarentee to work. Easy to tie. Easy to un tie. One trick is to tug on the loose ends a bit after tying to get all the threads lined up, and the retighten. When done correctly you will have the two vertical loops in middle holing everything in place. Ian's page also has many lacing suggestions.

Dogwood
12-17-2017, 17:07
Looking for opinions on the best ways to keep boot laces from loosening. Someone suggested shoelace wax. Is that effective and is it more or less effective than finding a knot specific to your needs?Might try stretchable/bungee type laces that usually come with cord locks. They stay laced for me while offering some tolerance to foot shape, shoe type, fit issues, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JJ505
12-17-2017, 17:54
Once I had the problem of my heel slipping. I looked up alternative tying of shoelaces and was amazed how many ways there are to do this. There is a way to tie them to reduce this.