PDA

View Full Version : Cans

rickb
02-06-2003, 10:01
The Beer Bag thread got me to thinking about cans. While I am more apt to carry plastic nips than a can of beer, there are almost always a couple cans in my pack. (BTW, in this part of the country a "nip" is an airline-size bottle of booze).

I never figured out why hikers seem so allergic to cans. A small can of ham stirred in with hashbrowns, or a can of turkey tossed in with stuffing is hard to beat. Then there is Spam with cous cous. Hell, I even love the pop top cans of deviled chicken on crackers for lunch. Deviled chicken, mmmm.

The way I figure it, I can always eat something from a can. No fire or water or energy? No problem. As for the deviled chicken, most people say it tastes like wallpaper paste, but I find it to be superb because it is moist and D-licious. Plus its low fat, which is great for a weekender like me.

Then again, I still have some cotton. Any one else out there willing to admit thier love for Spam and Vienna Sausages is more important than weight and style points when revealing the contents of your food bag to other hikers? ;-)

Rick B

chris
02-06-2003, 12:14
A can of hormel ham with velveeta shells and cheese makes an excellent, supremely salty first meal out of town. Once the cans are empty, they are not heavy at all.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2003, 13:49
I always get some smoked baby clams or mussells when I resupply. But NEVER any Potted meat food product @5 for a buck. What is that ****?

Blue Jay
02-06-2003, 15:44
I used to work for the food industry. No part of an animal is thrown away. NOTHING, that is what that and products like Spam is.

Groucho
02-06-2003, 18:26
Lone Wolf,

Potted meat? Poor mans' deviled ham. Supposedly the same struff they put in bologna and hot dogs; including lips, diaphragm, etc. Gives me heartburn. Anyone ever eaten cow diaphragm? Delicious!