PDA

View Full Version : NY or MA for July or August section hike?

devoidapop
12-09-2017, 17:51
My brother and I want to do a 5 to 7 day trip in July or August. Between NY and Mass, which would you choose and why?

moldy
12-09-2017, 20:43
I would do all of Mass from The Conn border to the Vt border in 7 days. I like the feel of the pine forests and the better views from the peaks. New York has the feel of one giant ridge walk with out any real forests.

Slo-go'en
12-09-2017, 22:53
Given those options, Mass in August (the later in the month the better) would be my choice. Why? Because it's starting to get cooler with less thunder storm chance and less haze. The only potential down side is you'd be in the tail end of the thru hiker bubble and in the middle of the SOBO bubble.

For NY:

The AT north of the Hudson is pretty nice. Late August would also be a good time and would put you well behind the NOBO bubble, but you could start seeing SOBO hikers. From the Hudson to CT, the AT is truly just a walk in the woods. You walk by miles and miles of stone walls. This was once all farm land.

The AT south of the Hudson is a work out. Water is scare. Not a good section for either July or August.

The other consideration is how will you get to and from the end points. There are several public transportation options, but they maybe too far apart for a 5-7 day hike. You need to factor in travel time too, which can be significant.

Cookerhiker
12-10-2017, 09:10
I'd hike Massachusetts in August, the second half of the month if that meets your time schedule. You could still have heat & humidity but not as much as July, plus the bugs might be less of an issue.

If you want to hike NY, I'd do it southbound to get your body in hiker shape. The AT east of the Hudson has ups and downs, but it's noticeably easier than the stretch west of the Hudson where the climbs are quite steep.

devoidapop
12-10-2017, 14:21
Thanks for the good info.

Is it realistic to think that we can count on Lyft, Uber, or a shuttle wherever we end up after 5 to 7 days?

Cookerhiker
12-10-2017, 14:58
Thanks for the good info.

Is it realistic to think that we can count on Lyft, Uber, or a shuttle wherever we end up after 5 to 7 days?
http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/transportation-options/shuttles-sandbox

LIhikers
12-11-2017, 06:50
Let me suggest NY because every time I've been to the AT in Massachusetts during summer the mosquitoes were very heavy.
They seem to grow them big there too.

Highland Goat
12-11-2017, 12:10
In the event of a dry summer, I recommend Massachusetts over New York. In New York you are more likely to find that you will have to leave the trail to find water. That is not a problem with either an adequate guidebook or good planning, so it depends on your hiking style.

hikermiker
12-12-2017, 08:41
Another consideration is that NY can be a hike from deli to deli to pizza place that delivers to shelters.

devoidapop
01-22-2018, 15:26
I will probably meet my brother near the CT border. he'll be taking the train to Wingdale. Where is the best place to park in that area?

illabelle
01-22-2018, 16:02
You might check with Hudson at Bearded Woods. 860-460-2996. If he can't help you personally, he can connect you.

Tinker
01-22-2018, 16:22
Let me suggest NY because every time I've been to the AT in Massachusetts during summer the mosquitoes were very heavy.
They seem to grow them big there too.

Absolutely! I hike a lot on the Ma. AT for exercise & as a quick getaway. The northern and southern 15 miles are wonderful, with the middle just something to get through. Good 20+ mile/ day hiking.

linus72
01-22-2018, 16:24
theres 2-3 spots at hoyt rd on the border and a larger lot on rt 55 about .3 trail miles north of the border. never had a problem in either...

BillyGr
01-23-2018, 12:22
theres 2-3 spots at hoyt rd on the border and a larger lot on rt 55 about .3 trail miles north of the border. never had a problem in either...

We've used that smaller spot for both day hikes (into CT) and a three night backpack into NY without any issues as well.