PDA

View Full Version : Data Books on AT etc.

Anghiker
02-08-2006, 12:41
I would like to know if buying the data book and/or the workbook for AT hikes are a good investments? Do they have enough information to make them worthy? Are there other books out there that are better?
We will be backpacking sections not a thru hike.
Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Angie

Lone Wolf
02-08-2006, 12:42
Data Book and Thru-Hikers Companion. No need for the Workbook.

Ender
02-08-2006, 12:43
Data book is very useful. It's all you really need out there, though the Handbook/Companion are very useful as well. Workbook... don't see it as being all that needed.

Jaybird
02-08-2006, 12:49
I would like to know if buying the data book and/or the workbook for AT hikes are a good investments? Do they have enough information to make them worthy? Are there other books out there that are better? We will be backpacking sections not a thru hike.
Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.ThanksAngie

Just purchased the 2006 A.T. Data Book...(my 2000 model...was a bit out-dated!)...it is precise & to the point with NO FRILLS....thats why i like it & take the pages needed with me on my journey!

Good luck with yer hike:D

Sly
02-08-2006, 12:50
Here you go...

http://www.atctrailstore.org/

TN_Hiker
02-08-2006, 15:47
Or you can make a donation to WB and have access to the databook for free.

attroll
02-08-2006, 16:13
Or you can make a donation to WB and have access to the databook for free.
Make a note the AT Data Base on this site is not the same as the Data Book . They may be simular some what but are not the same.

freefall
02-08-2006, 20:19
Data Book and Thru-Hikers Companion. No need for the Workbook.

What he said.

drsukie
02-08-2006, 20:59
Ditto to the others - I got the Workbook as a gift this Christmas. A bit of a waste of paper....but probably very good for someone who has never hiked at all, let alone more than a day..... Sue

Peaks
02-09-2006, 10:22
It all depends on your experience. If you have never backpacked before, then there are probably some good books out there. In any event, I think that both the AT Data Book and AT Workbook are aimed more at long distance hikers. So, if you are just doing a section hike, then I would not buy either one. I would however, buy a map.

max patch
02-09-2006, 10:43
You may find the ATC Trail Guides a wise investment if you want to know the name of mountain that you are looking at in the distance or the name of the stream you just crossed. I still have mine from my thru and find them to be an invaluable reference for access to the trail via car when sectioning or day hiking outside of Georgia.

max patch
02-09-2006, 10:45
You may find the ATC Trail Guides a wise investment if you want to know the name of mountain that you are looking at in the distance or the name of the stream you just crossed. I still have mine from my thru and find them to be an invaluable reference for access to the trail via car when sectioning or day hiking outside of Georgia.

The Guides include maps which you really should carry with you on the trail.
The Guide itself you may or may not decide to carry with you when hiking.

Blissful
02-09-2006, 10:49
I just picked up the 2005 AT data book at ATC yesterday for $2.00 for our Northern VA section hike. The guy there said that depending on what info the new 2006 Thru Hiker companion has on mileage, etc, you may not need both that and the data book.

Ender
02-09-2006, 11:09
The Guides include maps which you really should carry with you on the trail.

I respectfully disagree. The maps are not a necessity on the trail at all. The trail is very well marked, and easy to follow.

That being said though, the maps are a very nice luxury item, as they allow you to know the surrounding area better, the views better, etc. I didn't carry them on my thru and never once needed them, but next time I probably will just so I can ID the mountains in the views and whatnot.

For on trail info, the data book and the companion/handbook have more than you need. But maybe not all that you want. Personal preference I suppose.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2006, 11:12
Sure the trail is well marked but if you get into trouble and need a quick out you need a map. You should never go into the backcountry without a map.

Ender
02-09-2006, 11:20
Sure the trail is well marked but if you get into trouble and need a quick out you need a map. You should never go into the backcountry without a map.

Well, possibly, except that the AT crosses a road something like every 10 miles (a guestimation, not based on anything other than my own perception) and they are the easiest of easy outs. I also, and this is just my personal view here, don't really consider the AT all that backcountry. Not to knock the AT at all, but it's pretty close to civilization all the time.

But, you're right in that to play it safe you should always have a map. I just don't personally feel that much extra safety at all is gained by taking the maps, given the nature of the trail. And you're also right that there could always be that situation that comes up where the maps could be invaluable.

Brock
02-09-2006, 15:33
2005 Databook - I found this to be a good reference for mileage
2005 Companion - Great reference for town information and town maps along with historical information about the trail
AT Maps - I used these mainly for the topo part that showed the elevation profile for the trail. The entire set is very expensive.

I used those 2 books last year and would probably trade them in for Wingfoots book. The maps were great to know the elevation coming up, but depending on your personality, that can be good or bad. One way or another, you are going to hike those hills anyways. I would not buy these again since they cost so much.
Wingfoots book was more reliable on water sources and was more up to date on some of the shelters being built/remodeled. Also, Wingfoots book showed the elevation more often which is nice to know. But, some of the town maps were not very good and there wasn't much info about history on the trail.

Basically, no AT book shows everything that a hiker might like to know. If all 4 sources described above had their important information put in one source, I would buy that one instead.

mweinstone
02-09-2006, 21:18
just the blazes and the guidebooks.ripped down.purchesed as i go without planning.