PDA

View Full Version : Simmerlite owners, may I pick your brain?

mnof1000v
02-08-2006, 13:31
On a whim, and a recommendation from a friend, I recently bought an MSR Simmerlite, and I'm having some difficulty igniting it properly. I release the requisite fuel onto the burner head, and upon igniting that fuel, I can never seem to get a useful flame. To be honest, it seems like I'm creating some sort of flamethrower rather than a stove.

After a handful of tests, I've gotten many wonderful fireballs, followed by a weak or intermittent flame.

Any suggestions?:sun

mdionne
02-08-2006, 13:46
On a whim, and a recommendation from a friend, I recently bought an MSR Simmerlite, and I'm having some difficulty igniting it properly. I release the requisite fuel onto the burner head, and upon igniting that fuel, I can never seem to get a useful flame. To be honest, it seems like I'm creating some sort of flamethrower rather than a stove.

After a handful of tests, I've gotten many wonderful fireballs, followed by a weak or intermittent flame.

Any suggestions?:sun

after the initial flame has burned out from the cup. turn the gas on to fully open (all the way to + as far as it will turn) then ignite the stove from the top. (there is a trick to getting it lit with just a little flame in the cup but it fails sometimes.) oh yeah, don't hover over the stove when you're lighting it!;)

Hikes in Rain
02-08-2006, 13:47
Note that these ideas are for a Whisperlite, but may help. First, try using alcohol in the cup, instead of fuel. A little squirt bottle is good. Burns cleaner; the naptha (white gas) burns pretty sooty in an open condition, and mucks up the bottom of the stove. Second, try more fuel. the heating coil needs to get pretty hot to vaporize the fuel so it'll burn properly. That's likely the source of the weak or intermittent flame. Does it get stronger over a coule of minutes after you get it lit? Finally, although the instructions say (mine, anyway) to light the stove say you should use the last gasp of flame from the cup, that never seems to happen with me. Either too late (no light) or fireball from too much fuel in the cup. (Sound familiar?) Or the wind just blows it out. Let it burn out, then crack the valve and light with a match or lighter.

The Solemates
02-08-2006, 14:22
ive never had trouble lighting my simmerlite. pump it 10-12 times. prime it with a little fuel, wait til it burns out, then turn on the jet and light. fires right up. i always pump mine a few more times to get a nice blue flame, then turn the jet to mid-range.

ARambler
02-08-2006, 15:27
I think I'm closest to Hikes in Rain.
1) The stove is most suceptible to wind when priming. Put the foil around the stove first, and make sure the preheat tube is down wind if anything.
2) Practice. If you get a big fireball use less fuel. Also note, there is a significant amount of fuel in the line when priming. First there will be a delay before the fuel comes out, then you will get additional fuel out after you light it.
3) The big yellow flame is part of the process. Most of us don't put our pot on the stove until the flame turns blue. You need a lot of experience before you prime next to your tent, never in the tent. The intermittant flame is not that big a deal. If the sputtering is very big, you probably want to cut back on the fuel so a larger fraction of it gets vaporized for the same amount of heat.
4) Try to learn to prime without over pressurizing the fuel tank. The stove will be easier to simmer if the pressure is lower. I often waste a little fuel simmering my water for a second cup of coffee/ hot choc. rather then letting the stove cool and repriming it.
Rambler

Alligator
02-08-2006, 15:56
I prime mine with enough gas to just see the burner holes get wet. That is, as soon as wetness appears. I can turn it on at just before the prime flame goes out, but I prefer not to as the first second of burn or so is generally yellow and sooty. On the flip side, letting the prime flame go out then relighting sometimes ends up in burnt hair on my hand.

bulldog49
02-08-2006, 16:02
I prime mine with enough gas to just see the burner holes get wet. That is, as soon as wetness appears. I can turn it on at just before the prime flame goes out,

That's how I do it, never had any problems except for a little soot on the burner.

dje97001
02-08-2006, 17:00
My only problem lighting this thing is that the Prime flame is HUGE. It always seems like I mis-judge the amount of fuel in the cup before lighting. Oh well... I'm betting that after a few weeks on the trail I'll have it down.

mnof1000v, if you let the initial flame almost go out, then open the fuel nozzle quickly, you will have a sound like a car struggling to start and then the sound becomes more consistent when it gets enough fuel.

mweinstone
02-08-2006, 17:36
pump up alot,release primer fuel alot,cant hurt to use a little more,close valve snug,lite,wait till flame is small not a candle,open valve ,any flare and close and continue primer flame or start with more preheat fuel.and know if you overpressurized when spurtng and flame balls happen before half the preheat is gone. some wrong advice on this thread,be carful.the instructions are the very best in the biz. follow them .your under primeing.when preheat is lit flame should be10 inches high and entire stove base must be engulfed.its not a controled thing,its a big flaming thing. then your stove will lite ,without a match and dosnt have to be opened all the way .mine lights with many different amounts of preheat.its not a science its a feel.

The Will
02-08-2006, 17:57

mnof1000v,

At what time (with respect to the height/intensity of the priming flame) after you have lit the minimal amount of fuel required for priming the stove do you again open the fuel line?

It sounds as if your are trying to prime you stove with the fuel line open or you are opening the fuel line too soon.

rainmaker
02-09-2006, 00:42
I've never really had a problem with lighting the Simmerlite, but I've never been able to get it to simmer properly. Any suggestions?

otterman
02-09-2006, 12:10
Carefully watch how much fuel goes into the cup. You'll get the feel for how much you need to prime. It shouldn't be much. It took me a little while to get used to the flare up during priming. I would say the reply saying to get the burner holes we is most accurate.

mnof1000v
02-14-2006, 16:20
Thank you all for your suggestions. I finally got a brilliant blue flame.

With a little more patience, and understanding of the proper size of the priming flame, I was able to prevent any ridiculous fireballs. I think I may have something useful here!

Thanks again!:banana