PDA

View Full Version : Snow in the whites

peakbagger
12-13-2017, 07:26
Looks like snow has moved into whites for the season. In the past this wasn't unusual but in recent years that was not necessarily the case with some Decembers substantially snow free or with warm ups that would knock back the snow. The snow in the area changed to rain farther south so I expect clueless day hikers will head up this weekend and find far more snow than they expected. Barring a big weather shift its finally going to be good snowshoe season.

Slo-go'en
12-13-2017, 11:08
Yep, we got dumped on. I haven't gone outside yet to deal with it, but looks like close to a foot here in the valley and it's still coming down and another storm for Thursday? I guess I need to go dust off the snowshoes :)

Here's what it looks like out my living room window: The ground was bare a few days ago.

Venchka
12-13-2017, 11:23
The Blue Ridge Mountains of TN & NC joined in the fun too! My grandkids had their first snow day last Friday. Today could be another.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
12-13-2017, 17:14
Snow depth was 17" in Randolph and 18" at Wildcat at noon, so I expect the final total to be an inch or two higher. If your coming to the very white Whites this weekend, bring your snowshoes. A storm like this will drift 4-5 feet of snow into the trail higher up. Wind chill on Washington -45 earlier and the wind is just picking up as the sun sets. Winter has arrived big time.

egilbe
12-13-2017, 19:17
Looking forward to a winter ascent of one of the Presi's this Winter. Probably won't be this week though, the wind is a killer

Slo-go'en
12-13-2017, 20:51
Looking forward to a winter ascent of one of the Presi's this Winter. Probably won't be this week though, the wind is a killer

Going up is okay, coming back down with the wind out of the north west can be challenging. I bet it will be real pretty up there when the clouds clear but it's going to be brutally cold and windy too. March is the best time - more light, most snow, temps not as extreme.

One Half
12-14-2017, 23:12
I cringe every time I hear about snow up in NH. Our son moved back in January and I'm so afraid he'll have an accident driving in it. At least he won't go hiking in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
12-14-2017, 23:26
I cringe every time I hear about snow up in NH. Our son moved back in January and I'm so afraid he'll have an accident driving in it. At least he won't go hiking in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am confused why someone who lives in NH wouldnt want to winter hike. plenty of us do and look forward to it. Most trailheads are full on nice winter days. Just pick the days carefully and the views are better and the hiking is easier. No mud, no bugs and the trails are like sidewalks. Views are much farther than in the summer. For driving, just buy snow tires (not all seasons) and learn to drive slow. Its the idiots with SUVs with summer tires in the passing lane that end up in the ditch.

Slo-go'en
12-14-2017, 23:33
Looks like at least a few people hit the trails today. Good, let them break trail. I'll wait.

egilbe
12-15-2017, 07:47
I am confused why someone who lives in NH wouldnt want to winter hike. plenty of us do and look forward to it. Most trailheads are full on nice winter days. Just pick the days carefully and the views are better and the hiking is easier. No mud, no bugs and the trails are like sidewalks. Views are much farther than in the summer. For driving, just buy snow tires (not all seasons) and learn to drive slow. Its the idiots with SUVs with summer tires in the passing lane that end up in the ditch.
The trails are so much smoother in the Winter. All those rocks are buried.

One Half
12-17-2017, 00:34

I have never winter hiked. I like the warm weather. That's part of why we now live in Texas!

Slo-go'en
01-05-2018, 17:13
We got a LOT of snow out of this storm here in the Whites. Plus it's windy as all get out and it's drifting like crazy. Breaking trail after this storm will take some serious work.

nsherry61
01-07-2018, 21:34
The Falling Waters trail up to Franconia Ridge was like a perfectly groomed toboggan run, pretty much every step of the way on Wednesday. On the way down, we passed a guy hiking up without a shirt on! It was an amazing day.

41471 41472

staugy
01-08-2018, 11:56
thanks for the info

staugy
01-08-2018, 11:57
it was awesome

staugy
01-08-2018, 11:57
that's crazy hike on