PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to re-waterproof an old tent?

mrappe
12-13-2017, 13:13
I have an old North Face tent that my wife and I purchased in 1985 before we backpacked in Colorado. While it is a smaller 2 man tent we used it an many trips even when our son was small for everything. Later we bought a REI Half Dome 2 + and the older tent was stored away. I got it out years ago and it had a bad smell so I made the mistake of washing it in the machine and the old waterproofing peeled off. I would now like to take it on solo trips since it packs down smaller and is lighter than the REI one. I need to put some waterproofing on it and the fly before I do. I have seen some videos on Youtube about different products but would like to get opinions as to the best product and method by those who may have done this before.
Thank You,
Mike

HooKooDooKu
12-13-2017, 13:44
1985?
I'd say the best way to waterproof that old tent would be to buy a new tent.

I can't imagine anything you could do as a DIYer at home that would allow you to adequately reapply a water proof layer that isn't going to add a lot of weight to the tent.
However, if someone can supply you with a suggestion to waterproof the rainfly, then simply ONLY water proof the rainfly and get a sheet of plastic to place INSIDE the tent to make the floor waterproof... that's only of the old tricks I read about in a camping book from the 70's.

And unless you need this tent in a hurry... you're coming up on the time where you can usually find tents at really good discounts as retailers start to try to clear this year's inventory to get ready for next year's tents.

Gambit McCrae
12-13-2017, 14:15
1985?
I'd say the best way to waterproof that old tent would be to buy a new tent.

I would have to agree. I have tried on 2 older tents to waterproof them and it is a loss cause IMO. Besides...1985- Lets say even if the tent was $600 that over 32 years its only cost you 18.75 a year to own. And if it is needing to be waterproofed then you probably either got your moneys worth out of it or it has started to dry rot due to age. Nothing better then the reassurance of a waterproof solid tent....then in a rainstorm on the trail.

Billy Goat
12-13-2017, 14:31
I have used spray silicone to improve a tent's waterproofness, but I've not had to start right from scratch before. I have used it to waterproof a jacket or two and a hat but I wouldn't trust them in a downpour. Never really tested them in extreme weather and don't intend to.

Is there a sentimental reason you want to carry a heavy, potentially leaking, old tent? The technology that we have now is vastly superior to what it was 30 years ago with regard to fabrics and hydrophobics. You can get a reasonably light (less than 4 lbs) two person tent for just over $100. If you're willing to spend what you spent on that north face tent in 85, you could get a 2lb tent.

Putting a lot of work into what now is essentially a worn out tent may be worth it if it's for sentimental purposes. If it's just because you have the tent, my best advice is to get a new one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

tawa
12-13-2017, 14:56
----don't waste your time or $$$ on 30 yr old gear!
Let it go---it has served you well but time for newer and better gear,
Nothing lasts forever!

Feral Bill
12-13-2017, 15:23
Nothing lasts forever! True for tents. For some other gear, not so. I routinely use a nearly 50 year old stove (SVEA, of course), with 30+ year old cook ware. And my son uses my nearly as old pack. None of these has needed much cash input. A few $.50 gaskets for the SVEA, and a new hip belt for the pack 10 years ago or so. No need to replace things that work well.

mrappe
12-13-2017, 17:53
I already have a newer tent but it is more bulky. The old tent is not heavy and not worn out. The fabric in good shape otherwise. It is about 4 lbs which is not heavy for a few days backpacking trip. If I was going on a extended hike I would certainly get a ultralight tent. I guess I also have a big emotional attachment to the thing as well so it is not just the money.

"I routinely use a nearly 50 year old stove (SVEA, of course), with 30+ year old cook ware. And my son uses my nearly as old pack. None of these has needed much cash input. A few $.50 gaskets for the SVEA, and a new hip belt for the pack 10 years ago or so. No need to replace things that work well."

I also still have my old SVEA with Sigg Tourist Cookset but I don't use it much anymore.

Thanks,
Mike

Slo-go'en
12-13-2017, 21:00
You could try Thomason's Water Seal. You got nothing to loose and they list waterproofing fabric as one of it's uses.

The original coating is probably a polyurethane of some kind. I forget the exact name used with packs and tents, but it can (or could) be bought in a can and painted on. I tired that once on a bivy tent with mixed results. You really can't replicate the factory job.

But really, consider buying a nice new tent :)

clusterone
12-14-2017, 01:17
Might try https://www.walmart.com/ip/Silicone-Water-Guard-Water-Repellent-13-13-Ounces/52130847?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228045769597&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=101597420537&wl4=pla-247651347137&wl5=1013028&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=52130847&wl13=&veh=sem. Have not tried to rehab anything, but have great success with a healthy few coats (saturation).

Venchka
12-14-2017, 10:35
I had a similar experience with my first The North Face tent. I returned it to The North Face with a note asking if they could repair the tent. A few weeks later I received a larger, nicer, free standing, 3 pole tent in the mail. Needless to say the “repair” was very much appreciated.
Wayne

handlebar
12-14-2017, 21:30
You could appeal to North Face. I had the same issue with my Marmot EOS1 that I carried on the AT in 2006. When I got it out of the gear closet in 2016 so give to my son-in-law for his RAGBRAI bike trek, I noticed a lot of delamination. Returned it to Marmot and they replaced it with a brand new and slightly lighter version.

AllDownhillFromHere
12-15-2017, 09:46
What about one of those wash-in potions from Nikwax?

Turtle-2013
12-15-2017, 10:01
Based on my experience, you may find out ... at the most inopportune time ... that the fabric has weakened as well. We had three tents from the 70s/80s. One of them I touched up the waterproofing, but during the first windstorm it ripped badly. As I daughter and a friend were staying in it on a trip out west with my wife in a teardrop, they had to buy a new tent the next day.

rocketsocks
12-15-2017, 10:13
Based on my experience, you may find out ... at the most inopportune time ... that the fabric has weakened as well. We had three tents from the 70s/80s. One of them I touched up the waterproofing, but during the first windstorm it ripped badly. As I daughter and a friend were staying in it on a trip out west with my wife in a teardrop, they had to buy a new tent the next day.this^^^^^^^^^

Bronk
12-15-2017, 14:01
The key to waterproofing an old tent is to make sure you've gotten all of the old silicone off. Once it has begun to deteriorate it will peel off in sheets or rub off in much the same way as dead skin comes off after a really bad sun burn. This video shows how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wARB3Ljv404

Deadeye
12-15-2017, 14:20
1985?
I'd say the best way to waterproof that old tent would be to buy a new tent..

Exactly that.

AllDownhillFromHere
12-15-2017, 17:43
I nominate this for the Classic Whiteblaze Thread list.

Q: "I would like to do X, how can I do it?"
A: "Do Y or Z. X is stupid."

mrappe
12-15-2017, 19:10
I have washed it in the bathtub and scrubbed it and lifted it when wet to remove all of the old PU coating an hung it up outside to dry. Also, I have pulled on it to test the fabric and seams for strength and it appears sound. These older North Face tents were made pretty well it seems. I am going to put some Tentsure on the inside surfaces an spray the Nickwax solarproof on the outside. I talked to the guy at Tentsure and he recommended these procedures

Feral Bill
12-15-2017, 19:51
I have washed it in the bathtub and scrubbed it and lifted it when wet to remove all of the old PU coating an hung it up outside to dry. Also, I have pulled on it to test the fabric and seams for strength and it appears sound. These older North Face tents were made pretty well it seems. I am going to put some Tentsure on the inside surfaces an spray the Nickwax solarproof on the outside. I talked to the guy at Tentsure and he recommended these procedures Please report your results.

mrappe
12-15-2017, 20:20
I will do that. Hopefully I will get to use it soon.

scrabbler
12-15-2017, 22:43
Did you even bother to call North Face and see what they say? They might have made you a good offer.

Slow Trek
12-16-2017, 00:04
Good plan-why add to the landfill if you like the tent? Hope it works for you.

Runner2017
04-22-2018, 11:37
I have an old North Face tent that my wife and I purchased in 1985 before we backpacked in Colorado. While it is a smaller 2 man tent we used it an many trips even when our son was small for everything. Later we bought a REI Half Dome 2 + and the older tent was stored away. I got it out years ago and it had a bad smell so I made the mistake of washing it in the machine and the old waterproofing peeled off. I would now like to take it on solo trips since it packs down smaller and is lighter than the REI one. I need to put some waterproofing on it and the fly before I do. I have seen some videos on Youtube about different products but would like to get opinions as to the best product and method by those who may have done this before.
Thank You,
MikeIf you bought it from REI, just bring it back and they will take care of you. The other day I witnessed a guy returning a TNF down jacket that he bought in 1970s. No kidding.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
04-22-2018, 11:53
Nothing lasts forever!

I can understand the sentimental attachment to a tent from the 1980s or the 1970s!! I'd give almost anything to do a trip with my old North Face Toulumne tent or my old North Face Westwind tent. Both are in the Trip Archive Toilet.

Ye Olde Blessed Toulumne circa 1978.

Sadly when Shunka Dog was a puppy I had the old Toulumne set up next to my Tipi and he chewed the floor in half. Sayonara tent.

But I agree with Tawa and others---Tain't no point in trying to keep an old tent alive. I regard tents as disposable items like socks and once worn out need to be replaced. A good tent needs to keep you alive in the backcountry, meaning dry and warm---despite rain deluges and high winds and bitter cold and blizzards etc. Sentimental tents can be used in the backyard to relive the glory days, otherwise it's upgrade city for me with the best tent I can find.

Feral Bill
04-22-2018, 11:54
If you bought it from REI, just bring it back and they will take care of you. The other day I witnessed a guy returning a TNF down jacket that he bought in 1970s. No kidding.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk Which is why they had to revise their returns policy.

MuddyWaters
04-22-2018, 18:25
Based on my experience, you may find out ... at the most inopportune time ... that the fabric has weakened as well. We had three tents from the 70s/80s. One of them I touched up the waterproofing, but during the first windstorm it ripped badly. As I daughter and a friend were staying in it on a trip out west with my wife in a teardrop, they had to buy a new tent the next day.
^^
1. Not worth trouble
2. Not worth risk

Alligator
04-23-2018, 15:40
How about a nice lightweight tarp to go over it? Leave the old rainfly home. You could leave the windows open sometimes, even the doors. If it is big enough, you could even sleep under just the tarp. Might even decide to leave it home to rest once in a while.