PDA

View Full Version : Hand-made sub 1 oz alcohol stove cook systems for sale...maybe?

hipbone
12-13-2017, 18:35
I have been making alcohol stoves since before my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2001. I make them for friends, coworkers, and people I meet on the trail. They are really well made, efficient, and light. The stove weighs 7-8 grams. The stove, pot stand, wind screen and heat reflector all weigh less than an ounce (25 grams on my scale). I usually make the wind screens out of local beers cans so they look pretty cool.

.75 oz of alcohol boils 2 cups of water in about 6 minutes and burns for about 10 minutes total (every stove will be a little different). I like this style of stove because it needs no priming due to it having a separate pot stand. As soon as the alcohol is lit the flame begins to heat the water. I also like the pot stand not being attached to the stove because I feel safer moving the pot around with less chance of disturbing the stove.

1 ounce of alcohol seems to be the most efficient (I count on using 1 ounce per meal on the trail but I usually have fuel let over). The stoves edges are sanded and I try to give them a really nice finish. They are sturdy (I can stand on one) and simple to use. They are origami style, meaning no glue, adhesive, or JB Weld was used, just folds and creases. The setup works best with 750 ml or smaller pots due to the size of the windscreen. I can make a bigger windscreen but I don't have any put together right now.

I have about 15 complete sets made and I was thinking about selling them for $20 dollars which includes shipping. If anyone is interested I can take more pictures or maybe make a Youtube video of one. I like making the stoves but I'm getting a backlog of them :)

I guess reply to this thread if you're interested?

Thanks,
Hipbone

Starchild
12-13-2017, 19:23
I used a tea-light candle holder as a stove. 4 of them together on my scale still did not register any weight on grams. It is a functional stove that weights nothing.

hipbone
12-13-2017, 21:06
I used a tea-light candle holder as a stove. 4 of them together on my scale still did not register any weight on grams. It is a functional stove that weights nothing.Pay the shipping and I'll send you a stove set for free (probably around $5 for the shipping). I think you'll find that the stove is really efficient in alcohol use and boil times. You can leave a post in this thread and tell us what you think of the stove.

If Starchild doesn't want one I'll send someone else a free one if they want to test it out. They're pretty nice stoves [emoji16]

hipbone
12-13-2017, 21:12
Also 4 tea candle light holders weigh 2.6 grams... I just weighed them, so that's a pretty light option depending on how efficient it is

Starchild
12-13-2017, 21:27
Also 4 tea candle light holders weigh 2.6 grams... I just weighed them, so that's a pretty light option depending on how efficient it is

Just to add I only use one at a time, usually bring 2 since they are fragile. My scale refuses to measure them (where I got 4 from, which is what I had to see if it could weight a gram).

Starchild
12-13-2017, 21:31
Pay the shipping and I'll send you a stove set for free (probably around $5 for the shipping). I think you'll find that the stove is really efficient in alcohol use and boil times. You can leave a post in this thread and tell us what you think of the stove.

If Starchild doesn't want one I'll send someone else a free one if they want to test it out. They're pretty nice stoves [emoji16]

I'll take you up on this and report back on it. Will PM you.

gracebowen
12-13-2017, 23:19
Aw man. I would have liked one to try too.

TNhiker
12-13-2017, 23:22
I'll try a 5 dollar one as well...

hipbone
12-13-2017, 23:26
only one $5 stove was available :)

hipbone
12-14-2017, 00:07
I made a quick video of the stove that I will send out. Boil time was about 6.5 minutes in a cold garage. Flame out was about 12.5 minutes. .75 oz of alcohol was used. Toaks 550 pot was the vessel.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v8LKRWsbS7AAae312

hipbone
12-14-2017, 07:33
I'll take you up on this and report back on it. Will PM you.You inbox is full...can't send pm you

Starchild
12-14-2017, 08:10
You inbox is full...can't send pm you

OK, just made some room.

hipbone
12-14-2017, 09:49
Also, if you already have a windscreen I'll sell the stove and the pot stand for $15 bucks (you can make your own heat shield). I can make larger windscreens but it takes more cans and I can only drink beer so fast [emoji16][emoji16]

Starchild
01-29-2018, 21:44
I have received this a bit back but hadn't had time to test it till now, and that just a quick test, in winter I ski so not much time for hiking and testing. It is more powerful then I expected and got a boil of 16 oz water in 4:30 seconds, but could not reasonably extinguish the excess fuel so let it burn out, so have no measure of efficiency. When I have more time I will test it more and perhaps take this on some field tests. Right now it appears impressive compared to the standard caldara 10-12 cone burner, supercat and the Starlite. But again I need time to do this and now my time is spent on other outdoors stuff.

hipbone
01-30-2018, 01:06
I have received this a bit back but hadn't had time to test it till now, and that just a quick test, in winter I ski so not much time for hiking and testing. It is more powerful then I expected and got a boil of 16 oz water in 4:30 seconds, but could not reasonably extinguish the excess fuel so let it burn out, so have no measure of efficiency. When I have more time I will test it more and perhaps take this on some field tests. Right now it appears impressive compared to the standard caldara 10-12 cone burner, supercat and the Starlite. But again I need time to do this and now my time is spent on other outdoors stuff.Good test. 16 oz in 4:30 seconds. That means you used between .40 oz and .45 oz of alcohol to boil 16 oz (based on .75 ml of alcohol flame out = 10 to 11 minutes). For 2 cups of water I usually use .6 oz so that stove you have is pretty efficient...all of them are a little different.

4:30 seconds is pretty fast. Is that counting from when he stove was lit or when it bloomed? Thanks for testing. Hope the stove is useful to you.

hipbone
01-30-2018, 01:14
Also I have about 10 more full sets of these stoves if anyone is interested. I have about 40 stoves but no wind screens or pot stands made for them yet...

15 bucks plus 5 bucks to ship for a full set.

Starchild
01-31-2018, 11:03
Good test. 16 oz in 4:30 seconds. That means you used between .40 oz and .45 oz of alcohol to boil 16 oz (based on .75 ml of alcohol flame out = 10 to 11 minutes). For 2 cups of water I usually use .6 oz so that stove you have is pretty efficient...all of them are a little different.

4:30 seconds is pretty fast. Is that counting from when he stove was lit or when it bloomed? Thanks for testing. Hope the stove is useful to you.

The pot went into the stove after about 5 seconds after lighting. I usually don't wait for it to bloom as that seems like wasting fuel which also can start it's job, but the delay was getting to the stopwatch on the iPhone. Also I tested with 20g of fuel as I was hoping to extinguish it to get a idea of how much I need, then readjust. The higher then normal fuel level might have contributed to a quick burn time.

hipbone
02-13-2018, 08:56
Still making these if anyone is interested in trying them out. They really are nice stoves...$15 plus $5 shipping.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

zelph
02-13-2018, 14:17
How about a trade, Fancee Feest for a Hipbone :-) Fancee Feest is a one piece integrated pot support stove cost $16.00+$4.00 ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAFAsPfC4s

hipbone
02-13-2018, 16:54
How about a trade, Fancee Feest for a Hipbone :-) Fancee Feest is a one piece integrated pot support stove cost $16.00+$4.00 ship

Nice trade! I have a trip coming up as soon as the days are a little longer...It'll go with me :)

pm me :)

hipbone
02-13-2018, 17:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAFAsPfC4sShug... [emoji16]

chknfngrs
02-14-2018, 14:02
How do you warrant $16 built from a can of cat food that costs $.50

hipbone
02-14-2018, 15:20
How do you warrant $16 built from a can of cat food that costs $.50They're nice stoves that are efficient and simple to use. Carbon felt is a pain to find and so is fiberglass wicking. I found a square of carbon felt on line for about 20 bucks but most people only need enough for 1 or 2 stoves. Dutch sells a square piece of carbon felt that you can make a few stoves from. Pretty easy to make if you want to put effort into it. If not...you don't have to...buy one from Zelph

chknfngrs
02-14-2018, 15:50
Back in the 90’s there was a great band from Raleigh, NC called Hipbone...

But I can make a stove with nothing more than a hole punch and can...

hipbone
02-14-2018, 19:06
Back in the 90’s there was a great band from Raleigh, NC called Hipbone...

But I can make a stove with nothing more than a hole punch and can...

I'm a resident of Raleigh, NC...small world :)

Thats the beauty of a diy stove...you do it yourself...go drink 3 beers and make a stove; go feed a cat and make a tomato based dish and make a stove. go open a can of tuna and make a stove, go get a tealight candle and make a stove...if you're not into making a stove there are resources and dealers that will sell you one without the hassle of making one. if your stove is really good there might be people willing to buy one from you...

My girlfriend is a freaking fantastic sewer but instead of making our own tarp we purchased one; we found that the trouble of making a tarp isn't worth paying a premium for a pre-made time proven model that someone else can sew for us.

hipbone
02-14-2018, 19:08
making a tarp IS worth....typo above...

D2maine
02-14-2018, 19:38
How do you warrant $16 built from a can of cat food that costs $.50

supply and demand

QiWiz
02-15-2018, 17:23
Everyday price for a DualFuel burner (holds up to 0.75 oz) or DualFuel XL burner (holds up to 1.5 oz) and stainless mesh pot support (http://qiwiz.net/Burners.html) shipped in USA for just $7.80 plus $3 shipping. These burners work quite well. Lined with carbon felt. Lid can be used as an Esbit tray. Add a titanium foil windscreen if you like (or not, if you make your own). Just another option for folks to consider.

TexasBob
02-15-2018, 19:41
........Carbon felt is a pain to find and so is fiberglass wicking..........

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Soldering-Flame-Protector/1043403

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-White-Fiberglass-Cloth/3228210

Available at my local Lowe's probably Home Depot as well. Used both for DIY Fancy Feast stoves.

zelph
02-15-2018, 21:26
Everyday price for a DualFuel burner (holds up to 0.75 oz) or DualFuel XL burner (holds up to 1.5 oz) and stainless mesh pot support (http://qiwiz.net/Burners.html) shipped in USA for just $7.80 plus $3 shipping. These burners work quite well. Lined with carbon felt. Lid can be used as an Esbit tray. Add a titanium foil windscreen if you like (or not, if you make your own). Just another option for folks to consider.

How about we do a trade. :-)

1 Fancee Feest with integrated stainless steel pot support for 2 dual fuel XL burner and mesh pot support?

chknfngrs
02-15-2018, 22:06
Did not want to insinuate yall toads are doing bad things. Keep on makin the sweet stoves and hope people keep buying them from you. The lofi tech of these are what makes them brilliant

hipbone
02-16-2018, 07:35

Available at my local Lowe's probably Home Depot as well. Used both for DIY Fancy Feast stoves.Excellent example! You get 8 square feet for $8...I need a strip that's 8 inches by 1 inch...the rest of the material is just laying around my garage doing nothing. Wasted junk in my garage...or I can make 20 stoves and sell them for a small profit with leftover material. If you buy a stove pre-made from Zelph it'll only cost you $12 more and you don't have to deal with making it yourself...and you don't have 7.7 square feet of stuff laying around you don't need.

I do understand ones hesitation of buying a piece of hiking material made out of recycled items for what seems like an unreasonable price, but I've made my own gear before and some stuff just isn't worth making to some people...

Also, you're supporting a person that has taken initiative to add something to our community. If you want to make your own gear I encourage it. If you don't want to make your own, buy a tried and true stove from a reputable dealer in the community that we have created...

hipbone
02-16-2018, 07:58

Available at my local Lowe's probably Home Depot as well. Used both for DIY Fancy Feast stoves.Also...if you want to try one of my stoves then pay the shipping and I'll send you out a whole set (stove, pot stand, wind screen, hest reflector). I guarantee you'll see that it's harder to make than cutting up a few soda cans and jamming them together. I've been jamming soda cans together since 1999 so mine go together pretty nicely.

zelph
02-16-2018, 09:58
Excellent example! You get 8 square feet for $8...I need a strip that's 8 inches by 1 inch...the rest of the material is just laying around my garage doing nothing.

The rest of the material will be needed to make more stoves for yourself because carbon felt deteriorates quickly to a point of non absorption due to flame oxidation. Experience has told me so ;-)

TexasBob
02-16-2018, 10:23
Also...if you want to try one of my stoves then pay the shipping and I'll send you out a whole set (stove, pot stand, wind screen, hest reflector). I guarantee you'll see that it's harder to make than cutting up a few soda cans and jamming them together. I've been jamming soda cans together since 1999 so mine go together pretty nicely.

Thanks but I have plenty of stoves now! I enjoy making alcohol stoves. I have made about 8 different types and come up some of my own designs as well but you are right that buying is a lot easier but not as fun for me.

hipbone
02-16-2018, 10:29
Offering another stove for the cost of shipping ($5) if anyone wants to try one out. It'll come with stove, pot stand, heat shield, and windscreen. The whole set weighs less than 25 grams. These stoves are begging to see the woods [emoji16]

QiWiz
02-16-2018, 13:10
How about we do a trade. :-)

1 Fancee Feest with integrated stainless steel pot support for 2 dual fuel XL burner and mesh pot support?]

Sure, Dan, why not . . . another stove never hurts :) I'll PM you the contact information and you can do the same.

zelph
02-17-2018, 09:48
Sure, Dan, why not . . . another stove never hurts :) I'll PM you the contact information and you can do the same.

The trade is on :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcE_HwzWFVk