PDA

View Full Version : Is The Dog Gotten Better?

Mother Natures Son
12-14-2017, 20:11
I've been thinking of hitting the trail soon. (Near Pine Grove S.P., PA) and heading North. Is the Dog (Grayhound) gotten any better or is it still as bad as it has in the past?

Sovi
12-14-2017, 21:32
All depends on what areas you're traveling through. I've been on some decent buses through decent stations and some that should be declared bio-hazards and burned.

devoidapop
12-14-2017, 21:48
Last one I rode was Little Rock to Texarkana. I cannot recommend it.

Slo-go'en
12-14-2017, 23:13
It's always an adventure, but up and down the east coast isn't too bad. If it's longer than one overnight, I opt for the train.

John B
12-15-2017, 06:27
While it's marginally better than clinging to the side of a moving freight train, and while some stations and sections may be better than others, I would do everything possible to avoid stations in Lexington and Louisville, KY; Knoxville, TN; Charlotte, NC; and Atlanta.
The station in Lexington does not accept credit cards (or it could be that their machine is forever out of order), and bus routes between Lex. and Charlotte are plagued by buses prone to mechanical failures.
Just keep in mind that you don't ride the Dog, the Dog rides you.

moldy
12-15-2017, 09:09
In many ways the dog is worse than ever before. Less ridership, less revenue, fewer buses, less service. On the verge of chapter 11.

Gambit McCrae
12-15-2017, 09:29
This thread has my attention lol I have never dreamed of "letting the dog ride me" LOL but it almost seems like something every true blooded merican should experience. I may have to take a trip on it for a weekend just so I can say I have.

squeezebox
12-15-2017, 09:31
You'll live through it. But it won't be fun.

Gambit McCrae
12-15-2017, 09:37
Yea that was the shortest trip planning I have ever had...Was going to be a 4 day trip to go from my town to Duncannon, PA...How in the hell is Greyhound in anyway more affordable then just renting a car and making the drive? 4 day travel time is 3 hotel nights...+ the 220 bucks to let the dog ride you lol

Old Toad
12-15-2017, 10:03
I haven't tried it, but I have heard that Mega Bus is pretty good for long distance routes.
https://us.megabus.com/

JJ505
12-15-2017, 12:26
I can't imagine it will ever be better (or that much worse) it's always been an unpleasant mode of travel. But you will live thru it and maybe you will tell about it. :)

Slo-go'en
12-15-2017, 14:15
In many ways the dog is worse than ever before. Less ridership, less revenue, fewer buses, less service. On the verge of chapter 11.

I don't believe that. Every bus ride I've taken the bus has been pretty much full. My last ride was in April. Still plenty of people take the bus who can't or won't fly for one reason or another. Megabus is okay if your just going from major city to major city, but Greyhound still services many smaller towns.

Gambit McCrae
12-15-2017, 14:33
So the Trip from My small town directly on i40 to duncannon, PA was going to be a 4DAY commute...how is this even realistic?! Its not because I would spend my entire vacation traveling to and from the trail instead of renting a car and driving the 11 hours(guessing people take the bus because they don't own a car) but with a damn 3 day travel time, I don't see how this is realistic at all over just renting a car for ONE day and being done with it.

El JP
12-15-2017, 15:13
When was the last time you rode the dog? Busses and major stations are usually quite full.

Puddlefish
12-15-2017, 16:22
I'd be hesitant to travel with my pack sliding around in the cargo department getting abraded. When I last planned a route, it was basically like 36 hours of travelling with two or three transfers from NH to Atlanta, GA. Some of the transfers had a 30 minute window, which would have me concerned about a slight delay throwing all the plans off, other's had an 10 hour delay between buses, which means you get to spend some quality time in a bus station.

If you can get a good price, and a trip with a single transfer of the appropriate time, it might be worth the risk. Just protect your pack with plastic and duct tape, or a disposable duffel bag, or something.

moldy
12-15-2017, 16:26
Like one of the posters above I live near Cookeville Tennessee on I-40 a major cross country route. The bus is crowded because they have cut back service. We get one East bound and one West bound bus each day. 10 years ago we had 3 each way. 10 years before that it was even better. They have cut out service to most small towns that are far off the interstate highway system. In the North East Grayhound and several others are doing a fine business. The rest of the country...not so much

Gambit McCrae
12-15-2017, 17:04
Still not understanding the perks of taking a dern bus/ trail vs driving a car or flying....

TNhiker
12-15-2017, 17:12
Still not understanding the perks of taking a dern bus/ trail vs driving a car or flying....

if one doesnt have a license and/or a credit card------cant rent a car......

Slo-go'en
12-15-2017, 17:19

It depends on where your going and for how long. In your case, you tried to go to and from places which aren't directly serviced, compounded by the fact you only had a few days for the trip. For a short trip it matters how long it takes to get there and back. For a long trip, not so much.

There are only a hand full of places along the AT which are conveniently located to a Greyhound or affiliate bus stop. But these places break up the trail into 4 or 5 nice chunks. The trick is have enough time to go from bus stop to bus stop, which is 4-6 weeks.

My packs have traveled a lot of miles under the bus in the last 15 years or so. Never had a problem. The trick is to have nothing other then the poles attached to the outside of the pack. I tape up the ends so their less likely to snag and rip someone else's stuff. I warp the waist belt around the front of the pack and snap the buckle. I do the same with the chest strap. This keeps all the straps tight and helps secure the poles to the pack.

Sovi
12-15-2017, 17:32
You'll live through it. But it won't be fun.

maybe, had a layover in Atlanta one year, went out for a smoke and got mugged at gunpoint. Not the stations fault, but the neighborhood it's in isn't great. Every time I've ridden I've met some interesting characters on the buses.

Deacon
12-16-2017, 10:07
Spent 18 hours on Greyhound from Toledo to Marion VA. (near Damascus). I survived but my legs were stiff from being tucked in those tiny seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bronk
12-16-2017, 12:40
If you're going to spend 2 or 3 days on a bus eating crappy food at bus stations it would probably be cheaper to use other modes of transportation. Haven't used greyhound or flown for several years, but to give an example greyhound used to have a deal where you could go anywhere in the country for $68. But it would take 3 days or more to travel 1000 miles. Or you could get a discount airline ticket for $175 and be at your destination in a couple of hours. Eating on the road for 3 days and being very uncomfortable and taking 4 times as long as it should take to get there. When you figure in food cost for the extra travel time you're not saving much money and you're wasting a lot of time and sacrificing comfort.