PDA

View Full Version : Dam Tough Sleeping Bag

Rowdy Yates
12-15-2017, 09:20
Has anyone had any experience with the Dam Tough Sleeping Bags. They advertise a 0 degree down sleeping bag that weighs 24 oz. but I can not find any reviews for this company or bag. What has been your experience with them. Their website is https://www.damtough.com

SoaknWet
12-15-2017, 09:45
First time I ever heard of them but they now have my attention! Hopefully someone can give us their opinion after using the bags.

Rowdy Yates
12-15-2017, 10:10
First time I ever heard of them but they now have my attention! Hopefully someone can give us their opinion after using the bags.
:confused: Did you check out their web site? Very interesting, if they are for real. Hope someone that has had experience with them can help. They even have their sleeping bags listed on eBay.

Rain Man
12-15-2017, 10:10
Red Flags galore. No location. No street address. No phone number of any sort, not even a cell number. Not even a certain actual legal entity name.

It appears to my practiced eye that they want you to be in the position of dealing with an Internet African prince.

Rowdy Yates
12-15-2017, 10:12
Red Flags galore. No location. No street address. No phone number of any sort, not even a cell number. Not even a certain actual legal entity name.

It appears to my practiced eye that they want you to be in the position of dealing with an Internet African prince.

Thanks Rainman.

Venchka
12-15-2017, 10:31
Come on Folks! In addition to Zero corporate info as noted by Rain Man, there is no critical information about the bag itself.
Missing info:
Weight of down fill
Internal dimensions
Actual weight of finished bag
Real temperature rating
Rowdy yates, I don't see any mention of the 24 ounce bag weight.
From the DAM web page:

AZF - 10 Degree Down Sleeping Bag

SKU: 0008

Now here's a DAM Good, 10 degree down sleeping bag (0 Degree Extreme)
Full Size design for extra room and comfort
800 Fill Duck Down lofts to 6 inches for extra warmth
Ripstop nylon with water resistant shell and premium nylon interior
Compresses down to a 1.5L volume
YKK snag free zipper with draft guard and two zip direction for ventilation
Hanging loops on bottom of bag
Bag with compression sack weighs just under 3lbs
Sleeping bag length is comfortable for those under 6'2"
Compression sack included!

Why pay over $500 for a down bag when you can get a DAM Good sleeping bag at an amazing value!
If the 6" loft is real, that is approximately equal to a 10 degree bag. It depends on where the loft is measured.
As always, if it's too good to be true it probably is. Buyer beware.
Wayne

HooKooDooKu
12-15-2017, 10:33
Red Flags galore...
I don't even have to visit the website to see Red Flags...

They advertise a 0 degree down sleeping bag that weighs 24 ozThat's a Red enough Flag for me.

Rowdy Yates
12-15-2017, 10:55
Come on Folks! In addition to Zero corporate info as noted by Rain Man, there is no critical information about the bag itself.
Missing info:
Weight of down fill
Internal dimensions
Actual weight of finished bag
Real temperature rating
Rowdy yates, I don't see any mention of the 24 ounce bag weight.
From the DAM web page:

If the 6" loft is real, that is approximately equal to a 10 degree bag. It depends on where the loft is measured.
As always, if it's too good to be true it probably is. Buyer beware.
Wayne

Thanks venchka. I agree with you. The weight was listed on eBay I think. Anyway, I appreciate your advise. I do not intend to buy one under these circumstances.

Crossup
12-15-2017, 11:02
Damtough is a Godaddy domain name, hosted in Mountain View, CA using a shared IP. The site is 6 months, 2 days old and the host has several seeming legitimate websites sharing that IP. Their email is thru gmail, butRegistrant Name: Donald Trent
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 419 Pocahontas Trail
Registrant City: Bassett
Registrant State/Province: Virginia
Registrant Postal Code: 24055
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.5405887842
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected] if you want to try the horses mouth:

Crossup
12-15-2017, 11:05
Lack of editing strike again....:-? to clarify the above the company email is via Gmail, the person owning the domain, Randy Trent is using HOTMAIL

Rowdy Yates
12-15-2017, 11:10
Damtough is a Godaddy domain name, hosted in Mountain View, CA using a shared IP. The site is 6 months, 2 days old and the host has several seeming legitimate websites sharing that IP. Their email is thru gmail, butRegistrant Name: Donald Trent
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 419 Pocahontas Trail
Registrant City: Bassett
Registrant State/Province: Virginia
Registrant Postal Code: 24055
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.5405887842
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected] if you want to try the horses mouth:

Great information Crossup. I'm sure others will appreciate this info also, I know that I do.

Crossup
12-15-2017, 11:19
It may be helpful or it may just be the guy doing the website for known scammers...a legitimate business will want their name on the domain, scammers will NOT.
THIS HOWEVER IS encouraging:
Have a DAM Good Christmas this year! DAM Good Equipment will be at Smith River Outfitters, Saturday December 9th from 9am till 2! Prices good online or pick up in person this Saturday. Sale ends Saturday December 9th. Share and tag a friend!

Crossup
12-15-2017, 11:21
Call them up and ask about Dam Tough:
http://www.smithriveroutfitter.com/

jackwagon
12-15-2017, 11:42
There are reviews on Amazon.com for a hammock made by them, and nearly all are highly positive. However, one of the pics of the sleeping bag that damtough shows on their website looks like the bag in a compression sack is bigger than I would expect for that kind of bag. I can compress my 0 degree synthetic into a smaller volume.

Just Bill
12-15-2017, 12:01
It's not hard these days to buy/commission a run of products off Ali-baba and be 'in the gear biz'

This is a version of the made in china thread we discussed...
An overseas factory is selling someone's design that they've been contracted to build on the side to somebody here in the US.

Hammock is the red flag. You can pay a few dollars and slap your name tag onto an ENO hammock and suddenly you're in the $30 hammock biz!

I haven't looked into it much, but guessing you could go through a general catalog of standard patterns and build a 'brand' around it without knowing how to sew on a button.

This is the sort of 'poser cottage vendor' that is running wild on the hammock side. More or less what golite is at this point too, though they at least contract their own designs.

Anywho... probably an acceptable 35-40* bag built from a vendor's pattern. Probably made from decent enough materials by a decent enough company... after all... they are just making overruns or copies of gear designed by a good company. These could be Sea to summit bags, Kelty or who knows. I'm 99.9% certain though Dam Tough has nothing to do with it other than a label to sew in.
Much like 'house brand' or generic products at the grocery store... all made in the same place- just gets a different label on the can.

I'd rather put my $150 into an economy model quilt from a cottage vendor or into an REI bag.

Rowdy Yates
12-15-2017, 12:12
There are reviews on Amazon.com for a hammock made by them, and nearly all are highly positive. However, one of the pics of the sleeping bag that damtough shows on their website looks like the bag in a compression sack is bigger than I would expect for that kind of bag. I can compress my 0 degree synthetic into a smaller volume.
:-? Jackwagon, I checked Amazon and could not find anything for dam tough. What info did you put in to find what you did?

Rowdy Yates
12-15-2017, 12:13
Call them up and ask about Dam Tough:
http://www.smithriveroutfitter.com/

Smith River Outfitters highly recommend the Dam Tough Gear. ???

Rowdy Yates
12-15-2017, 12:19
Received this response from Dam Tough:

HI Arthur! Thank you for reaching out to us.
We are located in Bassett VA and at this time, we only operate as an online marketplace meaning we do not have a store front. We do have our products available at Smith River Outfitters which we share on Facebook quite extensively. If you would like to check out our display there, the address is 3425 Fairystone Park Hwy, Bassett, VA 24055

We are easily accessible via [email protected] and our team is very responsive to messages though email and social media.

Thank you for your advice and if we can ever do anything for you, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Merry Christmas from Randy and the Team @ Dam Good Equipment

Feral Bill
12-15-2017, 15:26
Took a look at their site. Compresses to 1.5 liters? Not "Dam" likely.

Hikingjim
12-15-2017, 15:39
Could be that you'd never receive anything, and could be that you're getting a cheap product from a site with improper specs and no reputation. either way..

Just to see where they were at before I saw the location info above, I put the bag in the cart to see what shipping to Canada would be. It was free! That's a first.... because it's expensive to ship across the border. ie: maybe it's free because they don't actually intend to ship anything?

jackwagon
12-15-2017, 15:40
Jackwagon, I checked Amazon and could not find anything for dam tough. What info did you put in to find what you did?

I did a google search using the words "damtough" and "reviews' and this URL was one of the results: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Lightweight-Hammocks-Backpacking-Carabiners/product-reviews/B01LZAVYKH

Hikingjim
12-15-2017, 15:40
shipping to algeria is free as well. fantastic!

Hikingjim
12-15-2017, 15:41
But I guess as an online marketplace shipping direct from asia, that cause be plausible for free shipping anywhere

peakbagger
12-15-2017, 17:02
Its not just a new thing. Knock offs been around for years, go to any fleamarket. Years ago a friend was in the service in Korea. He bought a name brand insulated jacket for cheap. At some point after he was in the US he ripped the jacket. The insulation was washed and cut up cigarette butts.

Rowdy Yates
01-27-2018, 10:29
Randy, the owner of Dam Good Equipment, has made some major changes and upgrades in his website. Better and more accurate information is now available. Take a new look at www.damtough.com They are a valid equipment company located in southwest Virginia.

Feral Bill
01-27-2018, 16:14
The bag specifies 6" loft. Hardly a 20 degree bag. No specs on dimensions or weight.

Wyoming
02-03-2018, 16:43
There are some specs there now.

10 deg bag
800 fill down
2.5 L compressed
3 lbs
fits up to 6'2"

And they are now discounted from $379 to $189

I did not run a sample buy through to checkout to see what kind of payments they accept.

Rowdy Yates
02-03-2018, 17:14
They are in the process of moving their entire mfg and offices to SW Virginia. They are also revamping their website to contain more vital information for the outdoor community. Don't give up on them, they are just getting off the ground and trying to become public. Thanks for all the feedback WBer's.

Venchka
02-03-2018, 18:24
The bag specifies 6" loft. Hardly a 20 degree bag. No specs on dimensions or weight.
Western Mountaineering specs. 5.75" @ 20 degrees and 6" @ 10 degrees. I have taken my 20 degree Alpinlite Long to 16 degrees with appropriate clothing and my Xtherm Large.
Depending on where the 6" loft is measured, 20 degrees would not be out of line. Naturally, individual testing will be needed to verify the rating.
Wayne