PDA

View Full Version : Can I cut a sleeping pad?

CampTim
02-08-2006, 15:28
Does anyone know if cutting a Ridge Rest Pad (for the purpose of dropping a couple tenths of an ounce) will harm its effectiveness? Can I just cut it and leave it, or should I duct tape the cut edge, or will both do irreversible damage to my prized possesion?

Lone Wolf
02-08-2006, 15:30
Ain't gonna hurt it a bit but why *** it up for .2 of an ounce?

Ender
02-08-2006, 15:31
Does anyone know if cutting a Ridge Rest Pad (for the purpose of dropping a couple tenths of an ounce) will harm its effectiveness? Can I just cut it and leave it, or should I duct tape the cut edge, or will both do irreversible damage to my prized possesion?

yes you can cut it, and no it won't hurt it's effectiveness. No need to worry about taping up the edges.

Cut away.

orangebug
02-08-2006, 17:42
My dog, as a puppy, chewed up a Ridgerest for me. I now have lots of pot cozies, situpons, and other spare bits of pad. No problem with them, and that was about 6 years ago.

Kerosene
02-08-2006, 17:53
Sure you can do it, but I'd only bother if I was saving a quarter-pound or more. Think about cutting to the length of a torso pad, running from your shoulders down past your hips. Use a pillow for your head, and your pack for your legs and feet (assuming you have an internal frame with a padded framesheet!).

Sly
02-08-2006, 17:56
If you cut it you may want to save the smaller portion for a sit pad or to double up under your hips, especially if you stay in shelters.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2006, 19:10
.2 of an ounce wouldn't be enough to make a friggin thong never mind a sit pad.:rolleyes: You anal weight weenies amaze me.

Doctari
02-09-2006, 11:39
I cut mine "to fit" mostly so it would fit me, and fit in / on my pack easier. Probably took off 1 to 2 oz, which I counted as a bonus but was not the reason I cut it. I also rounded the corners, (6" radius) no reason, just seemed a good idea at the time.

Doctari.

Streamweaver
02-09-2006, 11:50
I cut my Ridgerest down to about 50" and it weighs in at about 10 ounces or so .Thats about a 1/4 lb savings .Didnt hurt the pad a bit! I use the peice I cut off for a sit pad on fishing trips etc.