PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of weather?

Flakes
12-16-2017, 22:54
Is this something I should be concerned with? I’ve installed a NOAA weather and radar app on my phone and I’m pretty sure I have a C. Crane AM/FM/Weather Band radio that weighs like 4 oz in a box somewhere. Should I take it or is this overkill?

lonehiker
12-16-2017, 22:56
Overkill, and I would argue that the app isn't really necessary either.

Slo-go'en
12-17-2017, 00:19
Leave the radio at home. NOAA reception is spotty at best and it can take a while until the forecast you want comes around the loop. FM radio is useless. Do you care what the weather in (name a big city) is?

I found the AT weather app to be helpful. It gives the forecast up to 5 days out for any specific shelter or location on the trail. Of course, it does it by extrapolation so it's not real accurate but enough so you can plan for what's coming.

Being able to check the radar in the morning can be the difference between packing up wet or waiting until it blows over in an hour. It really is a marvel to be able to do that.

One Half
12-17-2017, 00:31
Damn. And I spent all those years learning how to tell the coming weather from the clouds.

Cheyou
12-17-2017, 07:57
I always bring a Sangean dt120 Am/FM radio. Get great reception at night. Works for me

Thom

Kaptainkriz
12-17-2017, 09:29
I think there is an ultralight version of the Indian Weather Rock that may be good. If you have a phone with data - The Weather Underground website is more than enough.

bigcranky
12-17-2017, 09:45
MyRadar will often load in places with very limited data connections, though it can take a long time. I find that pretty helpful sometimes.

Sarcasm the elf
12-17-2017, 09:55
I typically use the site below to check weather when I'm on trail:

https://www.atweather.org/

Bronk
12-17-2017, 10:08
Just about that time all your stuff starts to dry out it will rain again. So is your stuff is reaching that slightly damp, mildewy smelling stage, expect rain.