12-17-2017, 07:07
https://www.gofundme.com/Thruhike2018

I plan on heading to springer mt somewhere inbetween march 15th and april 1st
anything will be extremely appreciated! even some words of encouragement! xD

Traveler
12-17-2017, 07:19

franky
12-17-2017, 07:35
Good luck. Not sure how I feel about a 29 year year old whose very first post as asking strangers to sponsor his six month vacation. I think I would be embarrassed to do that, but maybe there are some people out there (or on here, rather) who are willing to help, so why not ask.

Also, as you only just joined, and have limited track record, I would also be concerned that this is a scam.

my other concern is that go fund me takes a substantial cut, and I would rather just send a check if I were so inclined.

SoaknWet
12-17-2017, 08:13
Ditto! Ditto!

John B
12-17-2017, 08:45
I read your appeal. So you're "working a lot" and your job ain't all that great, you bought your stuff, but you needd $5-7,000 for daily expenses. Did I miss a step?

Please tell me what I would get in return for giving you cash -- just the warm, fuzzy feeling of helping a millennial? It's the Xmas season, and I try to give money to various charities. Should I forgo, say, the Salvation Army or Catholic Action Charity or our local humane society and instead give you some cash? What is your recommendation?

grubbster
12-17-2017, 09:13
This should be entertaining...

cneill13
12-17-2017, 09:21
Go away you bum.

T-Rx
12-17-2017, 09:29
Go away you bum..

+1. Very articulately stated!

soumodeler
12-17-2017, 09:40
A thru hike is a vacation. If you don't have the money, it can wait another year.

Bronk
12-17-2017, 10:05
Looks like a real douchebag.

Hikingjim
12-17-2017, 10:28
If you want to learn something from this experience, START NOW. Hiking can teach you a lot about self-reliance and grit. Don't start by needing to "fundraise" just to start walking. If you want to ask people if they have any free basic gear, that's one thing. But that platform and ad makes you look truly pathetic.

Funding your own adventures and earning your way will be a good start to your experience. Good luck!

Cookerhiker
12-17-2017, 10:40
If you don't have sufficient funds to thru-hike, then I suggest you postpone i.e. defer your hike until you've worked and saved enough to finance your dream. And yes, it is a vacation.

Slo-go'en
12-17-2017, 11:11
I wonder how many please fund my hike appeals are on the gofundme site this year?

Mouser999
12-17-2017, 11:13
As soon as you help me pay my mortgage, I'll help you

OCDave
12-17-2017, 11:22
Gabriel, You are new here. Most asking for money wil at least feign that they are hiking for the benefit of others. Could you perhaps, dedicate your hike to rasing awareness to the plight of the Nova Scotian Fungus Gnat? The Norway Rat of Toronto may benefit from your support. In fact, your request suggests that you have much in common with any numbuer noxious and ubiquitous pests from which you might choose to dedicate your hike. Look inside yourself and I'm sure you might find a special kinship with a minor species of mosquito, maybe a rare leech? Certainly something along the lines of a parasite.

Good Luck with your fund raising efforts.

ZombieDust66
12-17-2017, 11:29
Hike your own hike, fund your own hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCNC
12-17-2017, 11:36
Gabriel, You are new here. Most asking for money wil at least feign that they are hiking for the benefit of others. Could you perhaps, dedicate your hike to rasing awareness to the plight of the Nova Scotian Fungus Gnat? The Norway Rat of Toronto may benefit from your support. In fact, your request suggests that you have much in common with any numbuer noxious and ubiquitous pests from which you might choose to dedicate your hike. Look inside yourself and I'm sure you might find a special kinship with a minor species of mosquito, maybe a rare leech? Certainly something along the lines of a parasite.

Good Luck with your fund raising efforts.

Your Internet Winner of the Day.

No other entries accepted, please try again tomorrow!

:banana

KCNC
12-17-2017, 11:44
Keep us posted on your progress. My son is planning to thru-hike next year.

(He just finished grad school and is trying to decide between embarking on a career or going to law school - he has sold stuff he no longer uses, worked, and has been specific when people have asked for holiday gift ideas to make it all come together.)

I plan to join my son for a few days here and there as I'm able and hope to meet up with a couple of other hikers my age that I've made connections with as well. If our paths happen to cross I'll be happy to buy you a beer and a burger. Much more efficient than GoFundMe. ;)

egilbe
12-17-2017, 11:46
https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=category&term=Appalachian%20trail

Deadeye
12-17-2017, 11:48
kid looks like a Canadian terrorist!

Coffee
12-17-2017, 12:02
Work and save a few more months and hike southbound. Good luck.

Malto
12-17-2017, 12:15
WOW, everyone is being very mean and oblivious to the needs of our millennials. Thankfully, there is an organization that has been established to help with the truly needy such as the OP. Enjoy. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGvrmltfMrA

SoaknWet
12-17-2017, 12:45
Old saying "If you have to ask you can't afford it anyways!"

LIhikers
12-17-2017, 12:49
I agree with Malto, poor millenials.
Watch the video he linked to before making a judgment..........then laugh as hard and loud as you like :)

devoidapop
12-17-2017, 12:50
I had a feeling this post would get a few replies.

wordstew
12-17-2017, 13:15

I read somewhere on this message board that an older someone was looking for a person to help porter/Sherpa some of his pack weight on the AT in exchange for a small stipend and food ect. ect. ect... you should do a search to find him sounds like that job was made just for you.

Gambit McCrae
12-17-2017, 13:20
Get a job you moocher.
This has scam/ active user creating a profile for personal entertainment written all over it.

Deadeye
12-17-2017, 14:02
Thankfully, there is an organization that has been established to help with the truly needy such as the OP. . :)

That organization is called the Army, established long ago! This young man could learn a few things about the outdoors, and life, if he were to join up.

Tipi Walter
12-17-2017, 14:53
Learn to:
** Eat wild edibles.
** Dumpster dive for your food.
** Hitchhike everywhere you go.

You're now ready for a life of backpacking. These pearls are available from GoBumMe.com

evyck da fleet
12-17-2017, 16:31
[QUOTE=Deadeye;2184450]That organization is called the Army, established long ago! This young man could learn a few things about the outdoors, and life, if he were to join up.

+1

If the OP doesn’t like his job, wants to learn some skills, travel and hike, then this sounds like a better option. Afterwards he can go wherever he wants and spend what he likes.

Coffee
12-17-2017, 16:53
WOW, everyone is being very mean and oblivious to the needs of our millennials. Thankfully, there is an organization that has been established to help with the truly needy such as the OP. Enjoy. :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGvrmltfMrA

LOL, haven't laughed like that in a long time!

Rain Man
12-17-2017, 17:01
I'm just as unimpressed with the gratuitous broadbrush biased comments about an entire group of Americans as I am with the OP's very first post to WB.

TJ aka Teej
12-17-2017, 18:18
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Get a job.

hikermiker
12-17-2017, 18:21
Take a Hike

hikermiker
12-17-2017, 18:21
Take a hike

El JP
12-17-2017, 18:38
Anyone else conside Gofundme and similar sites as something akin to begging?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm woefully underfunded compared to the usual thru-hiker. Nothing I can do about it so might as well head up trail and deal with the hassles as they come about. But if I'm 100% broke down to the bottom I sure as hell would try to arrange for loans rather than beg.

Maineiac64
12-17-2017, 19:10
I’ve seen a lot of people hiking with even less resources. Nice try.

bstiffler
12-17-2017, 19:23
beat me to it. some of those look old though. I guess if people fall for this can I put up a go fund me page to pay off my bmw?

Emerson Bigills
12-17-2017, 19:31
OP must have really believed all that "nonsense" about "the trail will provide". My advice is work a second job and save more money. Learn some lessons about discipline and commitment before you take the first step. Good luck.

bstiffler
12-17-2017, 19:34
https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=category&term=appalachian%20trail%20through%20hike%202018&country=US

looks like 43 so far for 2018 but I guess its still early

Puddlefish
12-17-2017, 19:34
I'm just as unimpressed with the gratuitous broadbrush biased comments about an entire group of Americans as I am with the OP's very first post to WB.

Yep. A whole lot of whining by some bitter old (and old at heart) men.

evyck da fleet
12-17-2017, 19:49
How does a thread get shut down or removed?

Its interesting that a certain number of posts are needed to sell gear but you can sell nothing in your first post and never contribute again.

rickb
12-17-2017, 19:57
Yep. A whole lot of whining by some bitter old (and old at heart) men.
Putting the OP’s particular campaign aside, the link to people requesting donations for their own 2018 hikes was eye-opening.

Hard to fathom.

Coffee
12-17-2017, 20:21
OP must have really believed all that "nonsense" about "the trail will provide". My advice is work a second job and save more money. Learn some lessons about discipline and commitment before you take the first step. Good luck.
I was serious in my earlier reply - the OP should work a few more months and hike SOBO. He only needs $1,500 based on his gofundme request.

Hilarity regarding millennial antics aside, I've met some great young people on long distance hikes. They're doing what I wish I had done at their age.

SWODaddy
12-17-2017, 20:21

I'm going to Spain in July. I'll chip in a dollar for every dollar you contribute to my vacation - deal?

SWODaddy
12-17-2017, 20:29
That organization is called the Army, established long ago! This young man could learn a few things about the outdoors, and life, if he were to join up.

Yep. Camping / backpacking in exotic places...and you get paid for it. :)

Lib
12-17-2017, 20:31
Lol, go to work n save, you'll appreciate it more. I raised 4 kids and delayed my dream for 30 yrs so I could live w the love of my life. March 2018 I'm planning a thruhike on the AT w my 19 yr old son. I've outfitted both of us for approx $700 off of eBay over the last yr. all I need now is shoes n food on the way. DONT BE A LEECH! Get a job save

Huntmog
12-17-2017, 20:43
I'm 30, have 4 kids and 3 dogs.... You wouldn't catch me dead asking anyone for money, let a lone a vacation. Grow up. If you want to hike all day, then be able to afford it. I'll never understand my generations want for free stuff handed to them.

TJ aka Teej
12-17-2017, 20:44
How does a thread get shut down or removed?
Its interesting that a certain number of posts are needed to sell gear but you can sell nothing in your first post and never contribute again.
Excellent point.

Putting the OP’s particular campaign aside, the link to people requesting donations for their own 2018 hikes was eye-opening.
Hard to fathom.
An eye-opener.

A whole lot of whining by some bitter old (and old at heart) men.
Get off my lawn.

Puddlefish
12-17-2017, 20:56
Get off my lawn.

Yep, I always thank the land owners and abide by their rules!

gpburdelljr
12-17-2017, 20:59

Lighten up. The “broadbrush biased comments about an entire group of Americans” were made in jest, and the fact that enough of that generation (e.g. the OP) fit the characterization is what makes it funny.

Feral Bill
12-17-2017, 21:07
even some words of encouragement! xD

Good luck with that here.

Malto
12-17-2017, 21:16
Good luck with that here.
Even funnier was someone asking for contributions on the 2018 PCT thru hiker Facebook page. I can think of no worse group to try mooching off of then a bunch of folks saving up for their own hike.

TexasBob
12-17-2017, 21:52

Eye opening for sure. Who gives these people money? Here is an idea, instead of having a go fund me account stand on a street corner with this sign and see what happens.

jimmyjam
12-17-2017, 21:59
Ok, I've a big was of dough to send you, but first you must send me a good faith security deposit of $500. ��

KCNC
12-17-2017, 22:07
Ok, I've a big was of dough to send you, but first you must send me a good faith security deposit of $500. ��

Are you in Nigeria and trying to disperse the estate of your late spouse, the former assistant to the Head of State?

:D

JJ505
12-17-2017, 22:23
Anyone else conside Gofundme and similar sites as something akin to begging?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm woefully underfunded compared to the usual thru-hiker. Nothing I can do about it so might as well head up trail and deal with the hassles as they come about. But if I'm 100% broke down to the bottom I sure as hell would try to arrange for loans rather than beg.

Well I've known people with cancer to use such sites. Not sure it is the best way to do this, but I have donated to friends who have used them in this way. I thought the post re: who all was using it to fund AT hikes. But some of them seemed to be trying to fund charities and the like. I don't actually know how effective that is. Give to the charity directly, I'd guess dollar for dollar it would be more efficient.

TexasBob
12-17-2017, 22:50
Well I've known people with cancer to use such sites. Not sure it is the best way to do this, but I have donated to friends who have used them in this way. I thought the post re: who all was using it to fund AT hikes. But some of them seemed to be trying to fund charities and the like. I don't actually know how effective that is. Give to the charity directly, I'd guess dollar for dollar it would be more efficient.

There are a lot of people who are deserving of charity. It just frosts me when people who want to walk in the woods for 6 months suck up money that could be donated to people who are really in need like your friends with cancer.

fiddlehead
12-17-2017, 22:54
OP should just buy some bitcoin with the money he has saved up.
It will, more than likely, be enough for a thru-hike by the time he starts the hike.

Too much bitterness on this thread IMO.

AllDownhillFromHere
12-17-2017, 23:13
Why would anyone want to fund you? Hint: you are not a unique snowflake.

gracebowen
12-18-2017, 00:53
Eye opening for sure. Who gives these people money? Here is an idea, instead of having a go fund me account stand on a street corner with this sign and see what happens.

I did it selling water. Made about $20 in an hour. I was genuinely selling water and people were just giving me money. I felt bad so I packed up and went home.
I used the money for groceries. Ive since picked up more hours at work and should be able to actually start saving money next year.

El JP
12-18-2017, 02:45

I understand where you're coming from.

But having to drum up money due to cancer and all that is a whole other thing than asking for handouts to fund something like a thruhike.

DownEaster
12-18-2017, 06:02
I agree wholeheartedly about funding campaigns and the difference between a through-hike and cancer. The first is something you can, and should, prepare for. Cancer: not so much.

rickb
12-18-2017, 06:31
F
I agree wholeheartedly about funding campaigns and the difference between a through-hike and cancer. The first is something you can, and should, prepare for. Cancer: not so much.

Another difference.

Most of the funding appeals for people who find themselves in a really tough spot are not started by the person in need, but rather by a friend, neighbor or loved one.

Not sure if it is sad or funny to scroll down the list of 2018 hikers who have set up pages for themselves, only to find that they have not received a simgle donation.

Is it possible some of these people just don’t have a clue about where they and their hikes fit into the social fabric of their own community? Not because of any character flaw, but because of some deeper condition?

TexasBob
12-18-2017, 09:51
I did it selling water. Made about $20 in an hour. I was genuinely selling water and people were just giving me money. I felt bad so I packed up and went home.
I used the money for groceries. Ive since picked up more hours at work and should be able to actually start saving money next year.

Interesting story. I think most folks want to help those who really need help and are sympathetic toward those who are trying to help themselves. I hope 2018 is a better year for you.

FlyPaper
12-18-2017, 09:58
Donations would be appropriate if this were some noble or sacrificial endeavor. It is a vacation. Nothing more. Writing a blog or taking picture wouldn't change that.

Gambit McCrae
12-18-2017, 10:10
Another strategy that has become popular is people hiking for:"_________________" << Insert heart strings subject here.
People pick a subject to hike for that would be offensive for anyone to call them out as using it for funds to hike. In return they say that all proceeds will go to said subject, and I'm sure they do most time, but I am also sure people have used said heartstrings subject to hike off the proceeds.

Puddlefish
12-18-2017, 10:23
Here's the deal. Hike your own hike. What this guy is doing is flat out not impacting your hike. He's not begging on the trail, he's not robbing hostel owners.

Who would donate funds to someone going on vacation? The same people who provide trail magic because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling to do so, because it makes them feel like part of the hiking community. This GoFundMe is arguably a better method of providing such trail magic, because it doesn't clog up parking lots, and leave litter on the trail.

All it takes is one ex-hiker, who sees something of themselves, something charmingly naive in being 29 and wanting to escape the drudgery of real life for six months to follow a dream. Maybe they see something of themselves at that age, maybe they're physically unable to hike, or even get to the trailside to hand out oranges. Maybe they routinely donate millions to real causes, and just want to amuse themselves by helping to change a random stranger's life.

There's nothing special about any given generation, that's never happened to other generations. There have always been people who whine, who beg, who blame others, who forget what it's like to be young, who don't understand statistics. I know I've seen a picture of someone busking for coins in the 60s/70s on this site, but that doesn't mean I'm going to dump on their entire generation for being annoying street scum. All that's changed is the technology and the way we take in information.

What I'm seeing in this thread, is an angry community, dumping on someone who's attempting to hike their own hike. I'm seeing, just like Rain Man said, a lot of broad brush comments about an entire generation, that's based on ignorance, and disdain for others. I saw none of this when I was on the trail. Do we really want to see the WhiteBlaze community to become a forum that welcomes new hikers, potential hikers with derision and generational politics?

smoovoperator
12-18-2017, 10:31
Yes, because you can generalize all individuals who are millennials into a category that this man falls into. Come on, people. What he is doing is frowned upon, of course. But that doesn't mean that we are all like that. Perhaps learn a new buzzword or two? Bit like others have said, good luck with getting funds from people to help your thruhike. It isn't likely here.

TexasBob
12-18-2017, 10:47
.......What I'm seeing in this thread, is an angry community, dumping on someone who's attempting to hike their own hike. I'm seeing, just like Rain Man said, a lot of broad brush comments about an entire generation, that's based on ignorance, and disdain for others.....

Out of 67 posts only about 4 mention anything about the OP's age and at least two of those where in jest. Lighten up. Someone who invites strangers to be part of his hike by giving him money is not "hiking his own hike" in my book.

Puddlefish
12-18-2017, 11:08
Out of 67 posts only about 4 mention anything about the OP's age and at least two of those where in jest. Lighten up. Someone who invites strangers to be part of his hike by giving him money is not "hiking his own hike" in my book.

It's been a giant dogpile of a thread. You apparently think this guy should hike your hike instead of how he's doing it, that's really kind of weird and controlling.

Old_Man
12-18-2017, 11:41
The request was in poor taste. Ageism is as well. Get over yourselves. I suggest going for a hike.

OCDave
12-18-2017, 12:04
It's been a giant dogpile of a thread. You apparently think this guy should hike your hike instead of how he's doing it, that's really kind of weird and controlling.

Puddlefish, your posts suggest you codone the OP's tactics. Clearly, many more of this community do not. Consider the "dogpile" to be a microcosm of society as a whole. When the individual violates social norms, shaming by the collective whole acts to suppress behaviors the community finds unacceptable. Long before formal legislation mankind relied on a socially reinforced sense of right and wrong. As the OP is new to this community, would it not be appropriate for the community to reinforce their overall collective values? Weird and controlling perhaps but, it is the way of any intelligent society.

ZombieDust66
12-18-2017, 12:11
I’m taking my family to Costa Rica this year. It’s expensive.

1. Will one of you set up a go fund me page. I don’t know how and haven’t looked into yet.
2. Please donate generously after you set it up for me.
3. Who can give us a ride to the airport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickb
12-18-2017, 12:15
Here's the deal. Hike your own hike. What this guy is doing is flat out not impacting your hike. He's not begging on the trail, he's not robbing hostel owners.

Here is another deal.

Thru hikers tend to feel a bond between them— somtimes a brotherhood — that transcends age, sex, economic status, sexual orientation, athletic ability, IQ, or year/decade of their hike, etc., etc.

When confronted with evidence that suggests the core values of some within this fraternity are diametrically opposed to their own, you get no small amount of cognitive dissonance— and a reaction.

How could you not?

JPritch
12-18-2017, 12:42
I'm getting tired of the "hike your own hike" deflection when anybody tries to question or criticize any one else. If I'm gonna blast my radio with vulgar songs the entire way up the trail and punch anybody who complains square in the face, nobody say a damn word to me, because I'm gonna hike my own hike. Yeah, it's no skin off my arse for the OP to ask for a handout, but that doesn't mean I can't tell him/her I disagree with their method of financing or to get a better job :-)

TexasBob
12-18-2017, 12:47

My point is that kids who go to bed hungry, old folks who can't afford their medicine, people with devastating medical problems need charity not people who want a 6 month vacation and I am amazed that anyone would give to the latter rather than the former.

gracebowen
12-18-2017, 12:48

Who would donate funds to someone going on vacation? The same people who provide trail magic because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling to do so, because it makes them feel like part of the hiking community. This GoFundMe is arguably a better method of providing such trail magic, because it doesn't clog up parking lots, and leave litter on the trail.

All it takes is one ex-hiker, who sees something of themselves, something charmingly naive in being 29 and wanting to escape the drudgery of real life for six months to follow a dream. Maybe they see something of themselves at that age, maybe they're physically unable to hike, or even get to the trailside to hand out oranges. Maybe they routinely donate millions to real causes, and just want to amuse themselves by helping to change a random stranger's life.

There's nothing special about any given generation, that's never happened to other generations. There have always been people who whine, who beg, who blame others, who forget what it's like to be young, who don't understand statistics. I know I've seen a picture of someone busking for coins in the 60s/70s on this site, but that doesn't mean I'm going to dump on their entire generation for being annoying street scum. All that's changed is the technology and the way we take in information.

What I'm seeing in this thread, is an angry community, dumping on someone who's attempting to hike their own hike. I'm seeing, just like Rain Man said, a lot of broad brush comments about an entire generation, that's based on ignorance, and disdain for others. I saw none of this when I was on the trail. Do we really want to see the WhiteBlaze community to become a forum that welcomes new hikers, potential hikers with derision and generational politics?

IMHO it already is. You have to have a thick skin to post here.

gracebowen
12-18-2017, 12:49
Or rather stay here

Puddlefish
12-18-2017, 13:08
I'm getting tired of the "hike your own hike" deflection when anybody tries to question or criticize any one else. If I'm gonna blast my radio with vulgar songs the entire way up the trail and punch anybody who complains square in the face, nobody say a damn word to me, because I'm gonna hike my own hike. Yeah, it's no skin off my arse for the OP to ask for a handout, but that doesn't mean I can't tell him/her I disagree with their method of financing or to get a better job :-)

I always felt the general rule was hike your own hike, but don't make anyone else hike your hike. When you blast music on the trail, it forces other people to hike your hike.

There's nothing at all wrong with giving another hiker advice on how to finance their hike, after all this is a website all about hiker's helping other hikers, right?

Telling someone to stop being poor, to stop begging, to work harder, to work smarter, to get a better education, to stop being a bum, to behave off the trail in a certain manner... in my opinion is moralistic grandstanding and has nothing to do with hiking.

I'm not going to donate to the guy either, but judging his life choices is not why I come to this website. Driving him from the hiking community is, again, in my opinion very wrong.

I get it, we all have political agendas, but let's not discourage people, even poor people who make choices that are different from our agenda, from getting out and enjoying nature.

Ankle Bone
12-18-2017, 13:21

With apologies to Lone Wolf:

Oh brother....

Puddlefish
12-18-2017, 13:21
My point is that kids who go to bed hungry, old folks who can't afford their medicine, people with devastating medical problems need charity not people who want a 6 month vacation and I am amazed that anyone would give to the latter rather than the former.

Speaking for myself, I have a charity budget each year (tiny) and an entertainment budget each year (tinier.) I don't know a single soul who donates every cent of their disposable income to charitable causes. Not one. If I were to donate to this guy, it would be out of my entertainment budget. Logically, it's not a one thing or the other decision.

May as well complain that buying that $5.79 six pack is taking food out of the mouths of orphans. Yeah, technically it's true, but it's not relevant to a hiking forum.

Berserker
12-18-2017, 13:33
I'm watching this closely, because if it works I think I'm gonna start a go fund me for my early retirement. I'll let ya'll know when I get it going because I know everyone is eager to chip in.

Ankle Bone
12-18-2017, 13:41
What's relevant is it's a request for charity. A bad charity providing no positive results for those in need.

I don't see anything "entertaining" about funding a sponge, so I can't connect your dots. And my six packs go for $11.00 - 12.00.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2017, 13:46
And my six packs go for $11.00 - 12.00.

$4.29 Busch light for me

Ankle Bone
12-18-2017, 13:48
Some men are wiser with their money then others!

Ankle Bone
12-18-2017, 13:49
"than" others...

JPritch
12-18-2017, 14:31
What happened to the old fashioned way of making money as a last resort...selling one's body? I mean I would rather do that than GFM, but I suspect I'd probably go broke either way. Not much of a market for 39 year old Dad-bods out there.

russb
12-18-2017, 14:33
Some men are wiser with their money than others!

"A fool and his money be soon at debate; which after with sorrow repents him too late. "

Ankle Bone
12-18-2017, 14:39
"A fool and his money be soon at debate; which after with sorrow repents him too late. "

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer".

Sam Adams (I think). :)

OCDave
12-18-2017, 15:36
What happened to the old fashioned way of making money as a last resort...selling one's body? ...

I remember fondly those college years when I sold my plasma to fund my fun.

KCNC
12-18-2017, 20:55

"A fool and his money make some party."

DBOW!
12-18-2017, 23:16
Teach a man to fish! Right�� How much has he raised?
Love the thread and most of the well thought out posts!
I won't be giving him jack but without him I could not have enjoyed this thread. Did he lie to anyone?
money makes people do and say thing all the time, it made him start begging and most of you start talking about it.
I have money and if I bump into a hiker struggling to stay on the trail because of money you can bet I will fund him/her to stay out on the trail a little longer
I could need a Sherpa at some point and a 29yr old young man with a strong back could potentially keep me on the trail a little longer
There is a reason we all like the AT community
Now everyone needs to post a devils advocate post in response to their own original post
It should be entertaining

DBOW!
12-18-2017, 23:22
Puddlefish+10

Mags
12-18-2017, 23:57

Thank you...and come again.