PDA

View Full Version : Where are most NOBO's right now? (2006)

Pages : [1] 2

Askus3
02-08-2006, 16:23
I was thinking the same thing as ATTROLL and starting this thread as he suggested.

gargamel
02-08-2006, 18:34
Ok, so I will transfer my entry from "General" over here:

Papabear started at 01/01 and was last reported in Hot Springs.
Patriot started at 02/01 and should have made it past Unicoi Gap by now.
Jaws started at 01/29 and was in Hiawassee at 02/06.
icecrmman and his daughter ebony started yesterday.

That's just 4 of them I know, but there may be others. I hope they all are well.

Walessp
02-09-2006, 09:03
I met Pariot at the Hiker Hostel and walked with him to the top of Springer on 2/01. Met another thruhiker there named Troy who was ahead of Patriot when we last saw him on 2/02. He's fairly young, and was an Army Ranger, but didn't have a trail name as yet. Best wishes to all of the class of '06!

Sky Rider
(walessp)

Walessp
02-09-2006, 09:04
I met Patriot at the Hiker Hostel and walked with him to the top of Springer on 2/01. Met another thruhiker there named Troy who was ahead of Patriot when we last saw him on 2/02. He's fairly young, and was an Army Ranger, but didn't have a trail name as yet. Best wishes to all of the class of '06!

Sky Rider
(walessp)

Waterbuffalo
02-11-2006, 20:44
Was at Neels gap today about they said about 15 NOBO have passed through so far as of today Although no one had signed the register at Blood mtn but the day hikers.

wane oh
02-12-2006, 14:17
Youngblood and I met Pirate on the trail above Springer last Wed. He is 65 and said he did a thu-hike in '95 and wanted to get an early start this one. He said he was going to get to Franklin and take a couple of days off. I hope he is okay.

Wonder
02-12-2006, 20:23
In my nice warm apartment

Zzzzdyd
02-12-2006, 21:12
Left Springer at 2:PM Friday.

Snow on the ground all the way to Hawk Mtn Shelter. Got there at dark. One other hiker there. EZ 1 is his trail name. He's 83 and said he did a thru-hike 2 years back. I broke 4 to 6 inches of snow all day Sat. took me 7 hours to make Cooch Mtn shelter. Met a weekender named Bill there. EZ 1 arrived 2 hours later safe and sound. The temp got into the teens F. and got more snow Sat, night. EZ 1 is a WW II Vet, I am a Vietnam vet , and Bill is a Desert Shield and Desert Storm vet, which we thought was kind of cool, and maybe we should question our sanity a little too ? :>))

I took a hard fall Sat. and almost went over a 200 footer today so I came off at Woody Gap, and got a ride with Bill, untill the snow is less and it warms up a little, it's just to darn slick coming down some of the steep downs. I am holed up with Keith Bailey at Goose Creek cabins for the next two or three days I guess. News station in Atlanta is calling for 60 by Wed. so I am hoping to restart then.

I saw 5 turkeys and got to watch a Coyote for a few minutes Sat. which made all the snow and cold well worth it. Lots of dear and rabbit tracks too, but never saw any, but did see some small birds today, Sunday.

keep your powder dry

N.Andrew Bland

no trail name yet .............:sun

P.S. Mountain Crossings at Neals Gap charged me a $1.00 "donation for hikers food" they said, for me to pick up my USPS package today. Something about this bugs me !! What kind of hiker would need food that soon into their hike ? Could happen I guess ? Maybe I should hit em up huh. After all I am SNOW bound !! :>))

neo
02-12-2006, 21:16
most are at home lol:cool: neo

02-13-2006, 00:55
Youngblood and I met Pirate on the trail above Springer last Wed. He is 65 and said he did a thu-hike in '95 and wanted to get an early start this one. He said he was going to get to Franklin and take a couple of days off. I hope he is okay.

Priate was at Neel's on Friday. He did hike in '95 and as far as I know (and Ido know Pirate) he has been out almost every year since.

Also the hiker food at Neels is the cookouts he does for hikers. When he gets enough money up they will have a cookout on the back deck.

tiamalle
02-13-2006, 01:00
Priate was at Neel's on Friday. He did hike in '95 and as far as I know (and Ido know Pirate) he has been out almost every year since.

Also the hiker food at Neels is the cookouts he does for hikers. When he gets enough money up they will have a cookout on the back deck.
Profile was Pirate just there or heading North?

Cheesewhiz
02-13-2006, 01:46
Im still at home, not able to sleep due to the trail and a rather soon departure date, If you notice the 12:45am post time you see what I mean

02-13-2006, 10:33
Profile was Pirate just there or heading North?

I think with the weather he was staying at least for a few days. But he is heading North. Said he wanted to be ahead of the crowd this year. Mentioned he would spend time off at his normal trail towns.

papabear
02-13-2006, 15:18
Hey folks ... Papabear here, just responding to this thread. Currently I'm located on the Weastern Side of Miss Janet's Kitchen sitting in front of a view of a Dell 17" monitor.

'Bear' and I, got snowed in for a few days and have been trying to recover fron having the flu, which I recieved in Hot Springs. Been having a grand time however, and enjoying the hike, the people and the towns. Miss Janet has been preparing us for the next few months mentally and emotionally. It really has been a blessing to be staying here.

We hiked in to Erwin and got here around 12:05am Saturday morning. We we're outrunning a storm that seemed to be directly behind us. We had waist high snow drifts on top of Bald Mountain and Big Stamp. Leaving in the morning, best wishes to everyone else that's out there, and following from home.

tiamalle
02-13-2006, 15:49
I think with the weather he was staying at least for a few days. But he is heading North. Said he wanted to be ahead of the crowd this year. Mentioned he would spend time off at his normal trail towns.Thanks,he is a friend of mine.

bear
02-13-2006, 19:08
well my name is bear and myself and papabear are at miss janets house . leaveing for the wonderful roan mtn complex tommorrow.Wish us well
peace
bear:welcome:banana

cls
02-16-2006, 01:06
Was SOBO after a round trip day hike from Amicolola to Springer on 2-13. Passed Mawee and Pawee NOBO on Frosty MTN.

Zzzzdyd
02-17-2006, 17:16
Blood Mtn. yesterday. I go t back on trail Thrusday 2-16-06 at Woody Gap and hiked to Neals Gap. View from Blood Mtn. was fantastic and very little snow left on the trail. I had a big Red headed woodpeacker raise hell with me for a few minutes just south of Bird Gap. Passed Gary from TX and was passed by Harry and Katy, two thru hikers. Also run into a day hiker. Caught Harry and Katy at Neals Gap where they were checking out some different gear options.

Still trying to help Keith out here at Goose Creek as he is still in the hospital and looks like might be there several more days ? Tyler, one of his grandsons, and I are holding down the fort pretty well thus far, but I am itching to get to hiking !!

keep your powder dry :sun
N.Andrew Bland

Stoker53
02-17-2006, 19:17
Info I got at Mt. Rogers on Thurs PM 2/16 was that they had seen the 1st NOBO 3 days earlier when he passed thru Damascus. I didn't get his name ( trail or otherwise ) .

gargamel
02-22-2006, 13:50
Just a quick message from the public library in Hiawassee. Im staying at the Blueberry Patch Hostel with Pilgrim, Redblaze and Sunset. We all are taking a zero day today. Hiking has been great so far even if the weather wasn't that good the last couple of days. But we are hiking into spring so it will get better ever day (at least this is what I hope for)
I love it. And I mean everything, even the bad moments :sun

CU

Happy Feet
02-23-2006, 11:40
Mawee and Pawee (GAME 03) left on Valentines Day Feb. 14! Haven't heard where they're at now.

cls
02-25-2006, 19:06
Left Springer on a cold, cloudy, icy morning on 2-19. Arrived in Franklin on a sunny afternoon 2-24.
Notes so far:
Georgia has done a real good job with signs and shelters. Stover Creek and Blood Mtn are the only ones that I saw that I would rate low.
North Carolina needs to either tear down the old Carter Gap shelter or put up a sign saying new shelter ahead on right.
Everybody has been pleasant and upbeat so far. Even the guys with the Lab in the shelter on a rainy night were nice about it.
Stayed at Budget Inn in Franklin. Ron Haven was great host. Laundramat right behind motel. AYCE steakhouse about 3 minutes away. No trouble getting shuttled around town. Called for reservation from top of Albert Mtn, but it took about 30 seconds for cell phone to get a signal after I turned in on. Called for pick-up from top of last hill before Winding Stair Gap. Most of the trail is on the backside of the mtn. from Franklin but there is a gap just after you get to the top and you can see Franklin off to the right. I called here and it took me about 40 minutes of fast walking(trying to beat sunset) to get to the highway. At a normal pace it would probably take about an hour.

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 19:16
Even the guys with the Lab in the shelter on a rainy night were nice about it.

Are you saying that there was a Meth Lab in one of the shelters?

freefall
02-25-2006, 19:30
Are you saying that there was a Meth Lab in one of the shelters?

That's what I was wondering:-? - beat me to it.

Chef2000
02-25-2006, 20:00
you never know where a meth lab will pop up.
On the original thread, spoje to jeff And nancy at hike INN a few days ago and they say 5 and 6 went over the dam this week

Ridge
02-25-2006, 20:12
Most NOBO'ders,as of today Feb 25, are probably still at home getting ready. But it won't be long.

cls
02-25-2006, 20:14
Brown Labrador named Toby. He did have his own jacket to sleep in and did not snore.

freefall
02-25-2006, 20:49
Brown Labrador named Toby. He did have his own jacket to sleep in and did not snore.

Thanks for clarifying!:)

Pedaling Fool
02-25-2006, 20:59
Left Springer on a cold, cloudy, icy morning on 2-19. Arrived in Franklin on a sunny afternoon 2-24...

Does this equal 18 - 20 mile days?

Skidsteer
02-25-2006, 21:08
Does this equal 18 - 20 mile days?

17.8 miles per day average.

Lugnut
02-26-2006, 01:37
they say 5 and 6 went over the dam this week

They should have been more careful! :D

Skidsteer
02-28-2006, 19:03
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10170&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

As of last Saturday, 2-25-06, Crutch and JulieAnn were at Blue Mtn. shelter in GA.

I passed a pleasant 1/2 hour with them at the campfire before moving on. They seem to be in excellent spirits and enjoying their hike.

ed bell
02-28-2006, 19:29
I was on a quick overnight/ birthday party this past weekend, Feb 25th and 26th, on Roan High Knob. Met a thru-hiker named Red Dane just North of the High Knob shelter in the parking lot of Carvers Gap. She has been through some cold nights (7 deg on Sat. 25th) and lots of deep snow. There is still a good bit of snow on West and North slopes in the trees, but the Balds are about clear. She was in the middle of a 12 mile or so day. She was looking foreward to the Overmountain Shelter and Kincora. My friends and I left her some hot chocolate packs and a breakfast bar (quick energy never hurts) and she drank a beer with us before heading on. Good company. We wish her well.:sun

Mountain Man
02-28-2006, 20:19
Mrs Gorp was at Hog Pen gap this morning, I met Granade starting from ASP yesterday morning. Also a young couple leaving the Len Foote Hike Inn yesterday but didn't get any names.

drsukie
03-01-2006, 14:39
Most NOBO'ders,as of today Feb 25, are probably still at home getting ready. But it won't be long.

Yup! Still in the ATL, just itching to get this practice sold and pack up all my stuff for a long walk......:p Sue

Spiritual Pillgrim
03-04-2006, 11:02
Nuts and I are currently at the Hike Inn taking a zero getting ready for the Smokies. Sunset and Mother Trail Angel are staying at the Fontana Village Inn. J**** & J****** were at the Dam yesterday. They came all the way from Ocala, FL. Batman and Robins Nest are a few days ahead (I think). The last several shelters (from about Wine Spring Campsite to Sassafras Shelter) did not have trail logs so its hard to say where everybody else is.
Nuts said I should be called "Pill"grim because I take so much stuff (Vitamin I, fish oil, glocosamine, multivitamin and others, nothing illegal though).

neo
03-04-2006, 11:08
my buddy cement sneakers was in blairsville ga yesterday:cool: neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9955&catid=578

Skidsteer
03-06-2006, 20:42
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10283&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10282&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

Underground spent the night at Plumorchard Gap shelter, GA Saturday night(3/4/06)

jhedrick
03-10-2006, 08:07
One of the first(if not the first) Northbounder is presently hiking in the SNP. Trail name is Will Call and he stayed at Pinefield Hut Wednesday, March 8th. He left Springer on January 3d. This puts him about 884 miles into the hike.

Web Breaker

MOWGLI
03-10-2006, 08:26
Batman and Robins Nest are a few days ahead (I think).

I stayed at the Fontana Hilton with Batman & Robin on Wednesday night March 1. Nice kids. They had hoped to go straight through the park to Standing Bear.

Miss Janet
03-10-2006, 10:39
Well, it feels like Spring... and I sure need Spring this year. I have been caring for an elderly family member for the past 4 months and my obligation there is officially over as of today. Now I can think about this season and I know it is here... because...

High's in the 70's expected here today.

My flowers are blooming. The willow trees have green buds.

My list of Spring Cleaning chores is a mile long.

I am hearing from alumni... all sick with Springer Fever.

The last 05 SoBo's are leaving town today.

Yep, it is SPRING!! and "gulp"... I am not ready for the NoBo's headed this way. Thank you all for posting your encounters with hikers. It really helps to know when I can expect the wave to start hitting me.

Where do you all think Beamis and Southpaw will start seeing NoBo hikers in numbers everyday?

Cheesewhiz
03-10-2006, 10:45
High's in the 70's expected here today.

My flowers are blooming. The willow trees have green buds.

My list of Spring Cleaning chores is a mile long.

No need to fret Miss Janet. I am a landscape foreman in my "real life" so I will take care of some of your outdoor chores if needed by the time I get there. I start next Wednesday so I won't get there until maybe the third week in April. But the offer is there.

Lone Wolf
03-10-2006, 10:57
My pack is packed. Ready to go next week. In the mean time, I'll run, ride my Harley, play some golf, smoke some meat on my new smoker and drink some beer. See ya Wednesday Janet.

Heater
03-10-2006, 14:51
My pack is packed. Ready to go next week. In the mean time, I'll run, ride my Harley, play some golf, smoke some meat on my new smoker and drink some beer. See ya Wednesday Janet.

What kind of smoker did you get? Brinkmann, Weber Smokey mountain, (my favorite)... Klose?

Lone Wolf
03-10-2006, 17:58
Got a Brinkman vertical smoker.

TACKLE
03-11-2006, 06:23
As of March 6th,Crutch was up to Franklin.

gargamel
03-12-2006, 14:35
Taking a zero at the Standing Bear Farm. Made it through the Smokeys in 5 days in perfest weather. It was so much easier to hike in the Smokeys than in Georgia or the parts of N.C. before the Smokeys. I had to take 3 days of at the Hike Inn in Fontana because I got sick (fever, the runs, and so on) but after that I felt really great. Until now it was such a wonderfull trip. People are friendly and polite and the weathergod has held his protecting hand over me.
Tomorrow I'm hiking on to Hot Springs and afterwards to Erwin where I hope to spend one or two zeros at Miss Janet's.
Seems to get busy now as Curtis told me there are quite a few hikers in the Smokeys now. So the Hostels might get a bit crowded.
My best wishes to all hikers I have met so far. It was great to meat ya'l.

PS: If you going to stay at the Hike Inn in Fontana you have to take a look on Jeff's incredibl;e collection of artefacts (arrowheads, fishing hooks made of bone, stoneknifes). And DON'T eat at the Chinese Buffet in Robbinsville. This place really sucks!

TREE TOP
03-12-2006, 14:48
Started my section hike on 3/7 with soul rebel an black toe .Ran into frosty,daisy and muddflap at woody gap .Weather was great.Finished my section toiday at hogpen gap leaving behind soul rebel and black toe to finish their quest to khatadin.

mingo
03-13-2006, 12:43
"will call" rolled into gravel springs hut in the shenny saturday night. said he started jan. 3 at springer. nice guy

Spiritual Pillgrim
03-13-2006, 14:00
Pa Bert (named by his Grandson) is leaving Hot Springs today (his buddy, who talked him into thru hiking, got bored after 9 days and left the trail); Sunset and I are in Hot Springs. I'll probably be leaving Wed. Elmer's place is way cool. Jason (I call him Slurpee) and Jessica (call her Munchkin) are also her as well as Lewis & Elizabeth. B-line told me at Groundhog Shelter he was getting off the trail iin Hot Springs. Heard Wayfarer left Newfound Gap maybe yesterday or the day before. Nuts should be just about through the Smokies after an xtra day at The Hike Inn sitting on the toilet.

Spiritual Pillgrim
03-13-2006, 14:03
Oops, see post 47. that's Nuts. Glad to see he smoked the Smokies (one day I was talkin with another hiker and said "I was smokin the hikies" and yesterday i said good morning to a SOBO dayhiker at 2:30 in the afternoon. must have been zombie zone.

Pirate
03-13-2006, 16:38
I am taking another day off the trail here in Franklin to rest up. Have taken over 40 zero days since getting on the trail in Feb. Trying to average a 2 mile day this year. Going for the record!!! Wolf, catch me if you can. Will be heading out tomorrow. Dollywood will not be open until 1 April hope to make it there for opening day. Guess I will have to speed up and do more miles per day. Got to go for now and check my schedule and maps.

freefall
03-13-2006, 16:45
Freefall here. Made it to Dick's Creek Gap today. Staying the night at the Blueberry Patch then off to the GA/NC line in the AM.

JohnK
03-16-2006, 18:40
Trying to average a 2 mile day this year.
Have you planned mail drops a thousand days in advance?

Pirate
03-17-2006, 16:17
Made it to Gatlilnburg yesterday. Doing the tourist things today will be heading out tomorrow.

freefall
03-17-2006, 17:30
Freefall here. Made it to Dick's Creek Gap today. Staying the night at the Blueberry Patch then off to the GA/NC line in the AM.

Now in Franklin.

mheider
03-18-2006, 15:53
Big X Left AFSP last Saturday. After a Day Stop to Pick up Supplies in Suches, He will be at Neels Gap Tonight

TREE TOP
03-19-2006, 05:11
my buddy soul rebel should be just ahead of you.should you see him tell him tree top puts out a hell yea !!! from Atl da dirrdy south.He should be easy to spot he carries a silver golite umbrella. You my friend who I have never met keep up the good work!

Spiritual Pillgrim
03-19-2006, 13:36
At Miss Janets. Trek & Pebbles are also here and told me Mrs Gorp & Moleman are here. Saw Mother Mary at Uncle Johnny's so I guess Sunset is there. Everybody else left me in the dust after leaving Hot Springs. Wish nuts would catch up.

Topcat
03-19-2006, 20:20
Ran into 'Will Call' last night at Ensign Cowell shelter in Maryland just south of the PA border. I was with a small group of scouts and he was patient and great for them to meet. Hope he has a great rest of trip.

justusryans
03-20-2006, 14:24
justusryans taking a quick overnight in Hiwassee. Hands are still cold,can't type. Good luck to all thruhikers!

gargamel
03-22-2006, 12:27
Sitting in the kitchen of Miss J's. and enjoying a quiet house because almost everybody left today. Met: Mrs. Gorp, Spiritual Pillgrim, Garry and his dog Pepper, Coconut Monkey, Guns of Jesus, Braveheart & Messenger, Jolly Green Giant, Bone Pac (didn't stay at M.J. but met him on the trail one day before I arrived), two guys called The Dingleberrys, Noose & the Poolerbears and Dave. It's my second zero and probably not the last because my knees are looking like swollen sausages. But what a better place to ride it out than this center of the trail universe?
To clear something up: Bruno, Nuts and Gargamel are the same person. So there is no German invasion on the trail. Call the Marines back, it's just me. :D

cls
03-22-2006, 14:51
Arrived in Damascus yesterday, leaving tomorrow. Staying at Lazy Fox. Breakfast is justly famous. I think Papabear is off trail with pnumonia, or it could be Bear that's sick. Regardless, he will try to return later. Trek left here this morning. Mawee and Pawee are about 3 or 4 days ahead. Red Dane is about two week ahead. Batman and Robinsnest are a couple of days behind. 2 to 3 inches of snow fell in the high country two days ago. More flurrys expected next 3 days. Mighty lonely up here. No trouble getting shelter space or in-town lodging.

mnof1000v
03-22-2006, 16:03
Life is good here at Miss Janet's. Lovin' the Erwin Burrito I had on my way here. Had some snow this morning, and two days ago, but no biggie. I'm warm now... Although I kinda stink... Perhaps I should take a shower and stop screwing around on Whiteblaze!:rolleyes:

-"Yahtzee"

Skidsteer
03-25-2006, 11:01
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone has seen a thru-hiker named Underground lately?

We met him at Plum Orchard shelter 3/4/06.

Thanks in advance.

Oops! Here's a photo.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10283&catid=favorites

ARambler
03-25-2006, 13:51
Underground looks like the underground I saw in 2004 and 2005. Furthest north I saw him was Chestnut Knob. Very hard to keep track of because... he's Underground.
Rambler

Lone Wolf
03-29-2006, 12:40
The first wave of NOBOs are hitting Damascus. There's quite a few here.

Pirate
03-29-2006, 14:42
Am here at Miss Janets taking another day or two off. Yesterday Underground was at Standing Bear. Minnessota Smith had just left there recently. Got to get back watching James Bond.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2006, 17:48
I dunno where most NOBO's are right now, but there are at least thirty-five hikers in Franklin right now, the town is pretty well infested. Great day today, Ron and his staff slacked about 23 folks 10 miles North today so we could spend a second night in town and alsdo celebrate a hiker birthday in style; absolutely beautiful up on Siler Bald this afternnon, as nice as I've ever seen it.....there should be a TON of folks arriving at the NOC mid-afternoon Friday; some are planning to come back here for Ron Haven's hiker weekend party which looks to be a really fine time, hope to see some of you here in Franklin Friday nite.

Skidsteer
03-29-2006, 19:10
Am here at Miss Janets taking another day or two off. Yesterday Underground was at Standing Bear. Minnessota Smith had just left there recently. Got to get back watching James Bond.

Cool. Appreciate the update.:)

Spiritual Pillgrim
03-31-2006, 08:12
Damascus. Saw Guns of Jesus, The traveling dingleberries, elizabeth & lewis, here. Moleman, Mark, sunset, trev and pebbles all left a day or 2 ago.
will stop at Daves Place this morning before leaving to see who else is in town.

cls
03-31-2006, 15:22
Arrived Pearisburg today Leaving Sunday. Mawee and Pawee got here yesterday. They missed out at the Relax Inn in Rural Retreat. Arrived on Saturday night with out a reservation not realizing it was race weekend in Bristol. No room at the Inn. I was reminded in Damascus of the race and arrived Sunday afternoon. Watched race on TV in my room. (Note to self: check NASCAR schedule for rest of year, particularly Dover and NH.) Mr. President was at Rural Retreat last Sunday also, don't know when he left. Trek is probably three days ahead now. Red Dane is still about two weeks ahead according to register entries but had to have some dental work done here in Pearisburg. Talking to a section hiker last night at Docs Knob Shelter who got snowed in at Hogback Shelter with a bunch of thru-hikers last weekend. I went over Mt Rogers last Friday, the first day of the storm. Windy, cold but only a couple of inches of snow. Friday night and Saturday, leaving Old Orchard for Partnership a couple more inches. Windy and cold again. First frozen water bottles in several weeks. Much better Sunday. Guess it was a lot worse in NC. Otherwise pretty quiet up here.

minnesotasmith
03-31-2006, 15:25
Underground looks like the underground I saw in 2004 and 2005. Furthest north I saw him was Chestnut Knob. Very hard to keep track of because... he's Underground.
Rambler

He was at Standing Bear Farm when I left there about 5 days ago. His plan was to zero there for at least 2 more days before leaving.

I've made it to Hot Springs, FYI.:banana

Adom
04-01-2006, 01:08
holiday inn, hiawassee, everything else was sold out when we got to town and I was in dire need of laundry and a shower... plus it was supposed to storm tonight, it isn't bad here but I'm not sure about up in the mountains..

tiamalle
04-01-2006, 09:39
Arrived Pearisburg today Leaving Sunday. Mawee and Pawee got here yesterday. They missed out at the Relax Inn in Rural Retreat. Arrived on Saturday night with out a reservation not realizing it was race weekend in Bristol. No room at the Inn. I was reminded in Damascus of the race and arrived Sunday afternoon. Watched race on TV in my room. (Note to self: check NASCAR schedule for rest of year, particularly Dover and NH.) Mr. President was at Rural Retreat last Sunday also, don't know when he left. Trek is probably three days ahead now. Red Dane is still about two weeks ahead according to register entries but had to have some dental work done here in Pearisburg. Talking to a section hiker last night at Docs Knob Shelter who got snowed in at Hogback Shelter with a bunch of thru-hikers last weekend. I went over Mt Rogers last Friday, the first day of the storm. Windy, cold but only a couple of inches of snow. Friday night and Saturday, leaving Old Orchard for Partnership a couple more inches. Windy and cold again. First frozen water bottles in several weeks. Much better Sunday. Guess it was a lot worse in NC. Otherwise pretty quiet up here.
Lots are right here in Franklin for the Fool Bash:D

Cheesewhiz
04-01-2006, 12:57
I am sitting in Frankilin for the Fool Bash, I got into town Yesterday noonish. great internet cafe HOBNOBER's in town.

Jaybird
04-01-2006, 13:18
talked to "Model T" this morning..via email...he is off to GEORGIA & Springer mtn for his 4th Thru-hike...this one for a cause.

He is calling it his: "Hike for Hope"...raising money to build a homeless shelter in Clarksville,TN (his hometown).

i urge all of you to support the cause & ship a few bucks if you can...

go to Model T's website for details: www.ModelT.net

section-hikin' w/ "Jigsaw" Apr 22-May 3 Pearisburg to Glasgow,VA
say "HELLO" as you pass me by:D

DavidNH
04-01-2006, 13:27
I am now in Franklin, NC. I have hiked 106 miles from Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap. Weather by an large is good. Had snow and cold in Georgia and lot of rain last night when I was snug in a shelter.

Still working on a trail name.

Cheers,

David

BW2006
04-03-2006, 21:33
BW2006 and Harley Hog Pit here at the Budget Inn in Franklin. We're loving the mountains and enjoying our hike. Had a big bear scare a few nights ago about two miles north of Plumborchard shelter but managed to scare the bugger off. He spent 1/2 an hour trying to get our bear bags but we hung em well and he missed out on our food. Weather was very cold to start but is warming up nicely for this week. Next week we should be in the Smokies, can't wait.

New trail name for me BW2006 is Spaghetti Oh! (spilled spaghetti in my tent on a very rainy night, hence the name)

Lone Wolf
04-04-2006, 05:00
Mrs. Gorp is in Damascus. She bought me and Pirate a beer at Dot's yesterday.

onesocktwin
04-04-2006, 10:36
Anyone seen Sandman? Met him 3/19/06 at Plumorchard Gap Shelter.

Onesocktwins

Ewker
04-04-2006, 10:37
A few of us did some Trail Magic this past weekend at the Cheese Factory. I am guessing we saw about 12-20 thru hikers and a couple of section hikers. Wish I could remember all of their names. Here is some pics I took this weekend. Maybe some of you will recognize them.
http://community.webshots.com/album/549143340fTzdYg

Spiritual Pillgrim
04-10-2006, 12:54
Spiritual Pilgrim here, leaving Pearisburg today.

A-Train
04-10-2006, 15:09
Anyone run into Riverside, who should be near Franklin, or Nate aka Old Spice from this site? What about a section hiker from Jersey named Rob who should be near Erwin now.?

Thumper 2006
04-10-2006, 16:29
I hiked into Damascus yesterday the 9th.

nyushka42
04-10-2006, 20:44
I'm still at home. :-( 3 weeks though, almost here.

cls
04-11-2006, 18:10
Taking a break in Lexington, VA, west of trail on US 60.792mi done, 1381 to go. Set up my tent for the first time last night. Bunch of Scouts and leaders beat me to shelter. Blue Mound was across the creek in his tent. Good weather so I didn't put the rain fly on. Got hit by a thunderstorm last Friday night about 8:00. Lots of wind not much rain. Lots of fresh blowdowns north of Black Horse Gap. Haven't seen any other thru hikers, other than Blue Mound in about a week. Other than the rain last Saturday and cold Sunday morning have had great weather for the last week. Saw first snake of the trip last Friday, about 3 feet long, black, took off when it noticed me. Second snake yesterday afternoon. Looked like a copperhead sunning itself on the trail. It decided to challenge my right to use the same trail it was using so I swatted it with one of my trekking poles and overcame his objections. It took off down the hill and I did not follow.

chuckbuster
04-12-2006, 10:18
Made it into Franklin, NC last night! Left Springer on 3 April! Met Crutch and Kid Rock at Wallace Gap and got beer and a ride into town. Zero day today and back on the trail tomorrow. Next stop Fontana Dam!
Later,
Chuckbuster

minnesotasmith
04-12-2006, 13:05
1) I'm in Erwin, having arrived here yesterday. (Spent last night @ Uncle Johnny's, and am now at Miss Janet's.)

2) I think Sandman was here at Miss Janet's, having left here this morning.

3) Underground is supposed to have gotten a ride back to Hot Springs from Hercule's and Fal's about 4 or 5 days ago due to tendon issues.

Jaybird
04-16-2006, 20:09
as of this EASTER SUNDAY..."Model T" (& "Ranger Dawg") is @ SILERS BALD & is expected to hit CLINGMANS DOME tomorrow.

its reported "Model T" had an extra special EASTER Dinner which included RAMEN NOODLES.....yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:D

StarLyte
04-16-2006, 22:09
MrsGorp in Daleville, Red Dane just passed thru Blackburn Center Sunday morning and Stumpknocker is in Erwin.
Marsha

Ewker
04-17-2006, 12:55
I was in the Smokies this past weekend and ran into about 11.
These folks were headed to Cosby Knob Shelter Sat so they should be at Max Patch and beyond by now: Outlaw, Bama, Peter Rabbit, Firefly, Piper,Trusty,Oldie or Odie,Thomas and a few others.
One guy was doing the ECT. He started Jan 1 from Key West

Rendezvous01
04-21-2006, 09:31
Just returned home last night from a section hike southbound out of Rockfish Gap which was cut short due to a sprained ankle in our trio. We ran into quite a few thru-hikers, as you might imagine.

Monday afternoon, 4/17, met Pa Burt, BonePac, and Red Ranger all heading into Waynesboro.

Tuesday, 4/18, met Lee, Mark, LumberMac, and Batman & Robin, all intending to go into Waynesboro that night. At Maupin Field Shelter, just about sunset we met an unidentified hiker who came in, filled a gallon jug of water from the spring, and quickly departed to knock off a couple more miles before total darkness. Didn't get his name, but he was hiking shirtless, in Tevas, and had that definite thru-hiker demeanor.

Wednesday, 4/19, we took the Mau-Har Trail to the falls, followed Campbell Creek down to Campbell Mountain Road to Va. 56 (we had planned on climbing the Crabtree Falls Trail back to the AT), then eventually hitched into Montebello and met Quailin, Graham, and Travers at the store there. They all headed back up Fish Hatchery Road, planning on camping at Spy Rock or hiking on to The Priest Shelter that night.
At Dutch Haus in Montebello we met Taco, Woody Crow, Brian, Sunset, Hatteras Jack, Guns of Jesus, Skeemer, and Walter enjoying the good food and pleasant surroundings of that fine establishment.

Rendezvous, with Stranded and PobreMax

Jaybird
04-21-2006, 09:45
"Model T" & "ranger Dawg" will be in Hot Springs, NC this weekend!
Apr 22-23

i'll be section hikin' w/ "Jigsaw" Pearisburg to GLasgow,VA
Apr 22-May 3

hope to meet some of you out there!:D

Spiritual Pillgrim
04-22-2006, 16:53
Montebello, VA at Dutch Haus B&B.

Smile
04-22-2006, 18:57
Anybody run into Eagle and Falcon, two guys hiking together, should be between Fontana and Erwin.

Cheesewhiz
04-22-2006, 20:08
This is Cheesewhiz's g/f. He is currently 14 miles north of Hot Springs hiking along with FDR and Keystone. They are having an awesome time despite a little rainy weather. They are takin a day in Asheville, TN and plan to hit trail in the morning.

partly cloudy
04-23-2006, 04:59
Stopped at Cowell shelter in Md.on April 20. Meet Bear on his thru-hike. In good spirits and heading for Devil's Racecourse for the night. Said Red Dane has made it back from DC and is right behind him.

swens002
04-24-2006, 11:12
Hi. Has anybody seen my brother Twinkle Toes? He should be between Neals Gap and Franklin? Thanks.

Freighttrain
04-24-2006, 11:28
anyone seen a female hiker named Christy? no trailname yet... should be past Franklin by now

Freighttrain
04-24-2006, 13:33
how about ... pink panther, or Copilot???

Thanks

6's and 7's
04-24-2006, 13:37
this is Granite (Heather from bar harbor, ME) I'm in Pearisburg, leaving tomorrow

Tree-girl
04-24-2006, 13:41
I'm in Pearisburg, although techinically 20 miles past it, since I slackpacked that part yesterday. I'm heading out tomorrow.

lilmountaingirl
04-26-2006, 15:11
lilmountaingirl (No-Whammies!) and GreenMonkee (Fire God), checking in from Franklin, NC. :D Got picked up by Ron Haven as we hitched in and decided to stay the evening.

Trail has been great to us so far...looking forward to the balds and the Smokies!

Ewker
04-26-2006, 16:11
ok lmg..tell us about no-whammies

sellis
04-27-2006, 13:40
Saw Red Ranger, and Moses who started from Damascus, at Gravel Springs Hut last Friday the 21st.

Cookerhiker
05-02-2006, 20:22
This morning while visiting the section I maintain in Shenandoah National Park, I met 4 NOBOs hiking down from HighTop Mountain. First was Silver Streak at about 8:45. Half hour later, I met Firefly and Feather. BTW, Firefly did a SOBO section hike from Katahdin to Hanover last August-September so we must have met in Maine but neither of us remembered the other. The final was Dreamer who I met about 45 minutes later.

I'd estimate that all of them are beyond Bear Fence Hut tonight.

Took photos of all of them which I'll post in the "Faces-Thruhikers" section. Unfortunately I didn't have any Trail Magic for them and the vaunted SNP facilities aren't open for the season yet.

Alligator
05-02-2006, 22:46
... Unfortunately I didn't have any Trail Magic for them ...
Sure you did.

This morning while visiting the section I maintain in Shenandoah National Park ...

astrogirl
05-03-2006, 10:54
"Model T" & "ranger Dawg" will be in Hot Springs, NC this weekend!
Apr 22-23

i'll be section hikin' w/ "Jigsaw" Pearisburg to GLasgow,VA
Apr 22-May 3

hope to meet some of you out there!:D

I met Model T and Ranger Dawg at Uncle Johnny's on the 29th. I think they headed out that day. I'm currently in Gatlinburg having come from Fontana on the 30th, but I'm just a lowly section hiker. I also met Tipper, Master Plan, Soda Pop, Marley and a few other really nice people whose names have slipped my mind.

It's kinda fun having done more miles that most of the thru-hikers though! I get a little more respect than other sectioners for that. :D (When I get back to Erwin, TN, I will have done a little over 1400 miles of the AT).

Here in Gatlinburg are Roni and J-Man and we're shuttling back to Newfound today. I stayed with Muddy Shoes, Rick and Wild Poodle at Derrick Knob the night before last.

Looking forward to the easier side of the park for the NOBO!

BW2006
05-03-2006, 14:09
Spaghetti Oh! Here in Erwin for the night. Loving the trail-wildflowers are gorgeous. Happy Trails To All!!!

cls
05-03-2006, 14:21
Arrived Duncannon, Pa yesterday, leaving tomorrow. 1133 miles done, 1041 to go. Staying at the Doyle. Moses wandered in yesterday afternoon so last night, for the first time on this trip, I had dinner with another hiker in a restaurant. Moses is getting off the trail for a couple of weeks at Port Clinton to take care of some business. Sorry to see him go, he has been a good hiking companion the times we've been together. Passed the half way point April 30. By the way, that morning my thermometer showed the temprature to be in the upper 20's and there was some ice in one of my water bottles.
Notes on this section:
1.Bear poles vr. bear cables. I experienced bear poles for the first time in Shenendoah. I have a lot of experience with bear cables in Ga. and the Smokies. I can see where bear poles would be easy to install and maintain, but heres a simple test to determine which is better for the hiker. Wait till it's dark, and the wind is blowing, and it's raining, and foggy, and try to hang your food bag on each device. Cables win hands down.
2. Large groups on the trail. Unlike Smoky Mtn NP, Shenendoah NP does not take reservations for shelters. After a 26 mile day, my pal Moses arrived at a shelter to find 3 groups and assorted section hikers already there. He estimated over 40 people within 100 yards of the shelter. I don't doubt it because the next night I was in a shelter with 2 of the same groups and there were at least 30 people in the area. The first shelter north of Caledonia State Park in PA. had three groups last Saturday night. I was at the next shelter north that night and it was totally full of a group that had done about 5 miles. Boy Scouts get most of the blame for this but not all these groups were scouts. I don't have a solution that would not be worse that the problem. Maybe someone else can think of one. Meanwhile I will continue to confine my section hiking to winter.
3. After Shenandoah NP I learned not to expect anything to be open no matter what the Guide books say.
4. The spring pollen season lasts a long time when you are walking north. I've been taking allergy pills for 10 days and picked up another 10 day supply yesterday.

Spiritual Pillgrim
05-05-2006, 16:53
I am in Harpers Ferry sittin in the ATC HQ. I am the 30th thru hiker to get my mug shot. Still needin a ride to trail days

cls
05-10-2006, 16:53
Now in Slatington, PA. Two more days in PA and then NJ. Although able to do over 20 mile days will be glad to get out of the rocks. Other thru hikers are finally catching up. By Port Clinton the group was up to about 10 people. I'm glad to be taking a zero day here to let some of them move on. The shelter areas were getting a little crowded. Glad that the leaves are finally coming out on the trees. I'm trying to stay covered up as much as possible to avoid the sun. I'm regretting my time in the sun when I was younger, although my dermatologist is making a good living. And we didn't have tanning beds when I was young. Another 15 to 20 years and skin cancer will be as common as headaches. Replacing my shoes here. Will be getting the same kind ( Garmont Eclipse, no blisters in over 800 miles). Everything else is working well and am having no physical problems. Still taking allergy pills. Picked up ten more here. At night you can see the pollen flying around in the beam of a flashlight.

tiamalle
05-10-2006, 20:36
Spaghetti Oh! Here in Erwin for the night. Loving the trail-wildflowers are gorgeous. Happy Trails To All!!!you diggin any ramps:confused:

Spiritual Pillgrim
05-14-2006, 12:42
taking a mid-hike rejuvenation, respite, siesta weekend off in carlisle, pa. the motel 6, located on rt 11 beside the penna tpk charged me about $36 a day (including taxes). will head out tomorrow. plan to do some 20 miler days, but we'll see. maine's not going anywhere.

chuckbuster
05-14-2006, 17:59
Chuckbuster into Damascus on 7 May! Stayed at the Suzanne's Hiker's Inn and had a wonderful stay. Zeroed on 8 May and Catoctin Nomad (SOBO '93) picked me up to take me back to Maryland to marry off a son and hang out with my oldest son in from Colorado. Back to Damascus on 19 May to pick up where I left off. Hoping to catch back up with Postcard, Masterplan, LB, Biz, Zoomer, Booger and Butterball, Dagum and Pacecar, Weatherman and just about everyone else. Going to slackpack Maryland this week and try to put back on 10 pounds! Small Gregory waistbelt on overnight Fedex from Summit Hut! Can't wait to get back on the trail, feet are itching to go! Later!

brz
05-14-2006, 18:06
trail log (via GPRS from trail)

notes:
(14 may): bumper crop of poison ivy/sumac/oak this year according to USFS.

springer 19 april
bly gap 01 may (bear got my bear bag on sharp mtn. during thunderstorm:eek:)
fontana 13 may

Cheesewhiz
05-15-2006, 14:14
Just checkin' in with ya'll. I am now sitting on the computer here in Bland heading to Pearisburg by Friday to wait on a ride from my girlfriend down to trail days.

Nean
05-15-2006, 16:37
trail log (via GPRS from trail)

notes:
bly gap 01 may (bear got my bear bag on sharp mtn. during thunderstorm:eek:)

This is unfortunate.... for the bear.:( From my experience, bear bagging causes more problems than it solves.:( Hopefully you learned something from your mistake and more bears will not have to suffer the consequences.:-?

minnesotasmith
05-16-2006, 15:34
In Pearisburg as of yesterday.

neighbor dave
05-18-2006, 17:02
heard from a very reliable source(his grand dad) that spiderman is in connecticut!! he left springer 2-14-06

astrogirl
05-19-2006, 22:49
Hoping to catch back up with Postcard, Masterplan, LB, Biz, Zoomer, Booger and Butterball, Dagum and Pacecar, Weatherman and just about everyone else.

- deleted -

Cherokee Bill
05-22-2006, 18:43
Was out for a weekend trip 5/20-21/06 on the AT. On Saturday I saw more thru-hikers, than I can remember. I know I should have written there names down, but hind-site is well :-?

In Central Virginia, at Brown Mt. Creek shelter I saw; Irish, Atom + 1 friend, Chill-out, Conductor + 1 friend. Wish I could remember the others! All were in excellent spirits/health and were averaging 20+ miles per day.

Let me say that on this day I meet some of the finest folks I have meet anywhere. Most enjoyable weekend trip I've had yet!

Cookerhiker
05-24-2006, 19:30
...I met English, a flip-flopper who started at Daleville. After reaching Katahdin, he plans to hike Daleville-to-Springer. As the name implies, he's a Brit.

Preacher Dude
05-26-2006, 04:12
Goliath started 3-4 and has just reached Waynesboro
Zama and Lug left from Springer on 2-22 and reached Harpers Ferry on 5-11
Righty, Lefty, and Buoy started 4-12 and are now in Hampton, NC
No Whammies is in Erwin, TN

saimyoji
05-26-2006, 19:10
Spent the night at Kirkridge shelter last night.

CedarMoe is in DWG tonite. Great guy, gonna start a hiker ministry in the smokies when he's done.

Mountain goat, an Aussie finishing his hike after an injury two years ago, went through DWG yesterday.

Spiritual Pilgrim was a day or so ahead of them.

Some others whose names I forgot.

Y'all sure do complain about the rocks in PA alot.

Best entry from the register there: Y'all are candy asses. Grow some balls and suck it up.

saimyoji
05-26-2006, 20:41
Forgot to mention Dreamer (older guy-55?, quite the character) strolled in as well, camped in back of the shelter.

wilconow
05-31-2006, 13:28
Went from hog camp gap to rt.56 /tye river memorial day weekend.

met tec, coolhand, grinds & bravefriend right below spy rock on sunday the 28th

also met postcard the night of the 28th at the priest shelter. he was with two other guys - someone from maine and another guy with a southern accent

Cheesewhiz
05-31-2006, 17:28
Cheesewhiz and about 5 or 6 others will be in Troutville today. They camped out at McAfee Knob last night.

MileMonster
06-04-2006, 20:38
I saw my first NoBo of the season up here a few days ago,a fellow named Bleach. He had just crossed the White River in West Hartford. He said there was one NoBo ahead of him, as far as he knew.

Cookerhiker
06-06-2006, 20:55
Just returned from weedwacking my section over HIghTop Mt. in the southern section of SNP. Met the following thruhikers:

Salt (and her dog Pepper)
Kilgore
Jason
Lichen
Car Bomb
Sleepy the Arab
Morning Fit
Trickster
What
Bama
Little Wing
Endoro
Old DrumAnd there were others whose name I didn't catch

Alligator
06-06-2006, 22:16
Didn't know that Sleepy was on the trail this year. Go Sleepy. Or better yet, Stop and Zero!

minnesotasmith
06-07-2006, 21:20
Got here today.

Cookerhiker
06-12-2006, 21:19
...I set up a one-person hiker feed. Mostly basic stuff like burgers, hot dogs, cold drinks, chips, salsa, veggies, cookies, fresh local strawberries, & cantalope. I home-made 3 items: a pineapple/banana cake, potato salad, and fresh guacamole.

Anyway, I served 17 hikers - a few were section-hiking long sections but most were thru-hikers. Here's the list:

Squarl
Yukon
Plunger
Slim
Boogeyman
Bison
Miss Fortune
Joel
Compost
High Pockets
Grinds
Snickers
Enduro (also met him at Shenandoah NP last week)
Comfortably Numb
Kodak
Old Navigator
Silver Streak (also met him at Shenandoah in early May)There were a few others who passed it up and didn't stop.

jlb2012
06-12-2006, 22:14
I stopped up at Hightop Hut in SNP tonight with some drinks for the hikers - met Rapunzel, minnesotasmith (WBer), Samuri, River Weasel, and Cheesewhiz (WBer)

minnesotasmith says hi and notes that he will soon pass 900 miles - now carrying his est 60 lb load in a Gregory Whitney pack - his next resupply is in Harper's Ferry so he is carrying a large amount (aka a **** load) of food.

Askus3
06-14-2006, 14:41
Leaf, near East B Hill Road on Tuesday, June 6.
TREK - NB thru-hiker met descending Old Speck toward Grafton Notch. 6/7.
Woody Crow & Bleach stayed at Hikers Paradise in Gorham, NH. Sat. 6/10.

Barrel Roll
06-19-2006, 01:29
Went on a dayhike in NH over Mt. Flume and Mt. Liberty. Coming down the Liberty Springs trail I ran into Red Ranger, a NOBO who started Feb 12th (I think). He was just coming off a town visit with his wife and his pack looked BIG! He seemed in good spirits and ready to tackle the rest of his hike. He had gorgeous weather going across the Franconia Ridge for sure.

jlb2012
06-19-2006, 08:13
I camped near Bear Fence Hut in SNP on Sat. June 17 - several thrus were there including Pokie the Pink Squid. On my way back to Swift Run Gap I met Ranger Dawg, Last Train, Big Foot, Grey Goose, Model T and Chewy - Last Train indicated he was interested in some beer so I picked up a case of Yuengling and met back up with them near Pocosin Cabin - good times sitting around a trail post on the AT. Later Last Train wanted to get off trail to see his wife so I gave him a ride back to his car at Rerun's place near Harper's Ferry so I got to meet Rerun too.

Nokia
06-19-2006, 08:57
Just saw Chardonay, Cash, and Rusch Hour all near Gathland State Park. Lucky Dime and Boy named Sue near Waynesboro. Good Times Charlie and Outlaw should be in Front Royal. Harley Hogpit, Daniel, Playdough, Trail Boss are all near Catawba. $3 is in Waynesboro

A-Train
06-19-2006, 11:15
My friend Riverside was in Falls Village Connecticut on thursday, so should be atleast to Dalton by now, if not further. He's been averaging between 25-30 miles a day for the most part

Spiritual Pillgrim
06-19-2006, 20:38
At Hikers Welcome Hostel with Coconut Monkey and Atilla The Hun (section hiker). For all you purists out there, figured I'd stir the pot and let you know I yellowblazed VT. Been there, done that, section hiked 1996-2001.

emerald
06-19-2006, 21:14
Jangles is one of my favorites on trailjournals.com. To read her journal beginning at Shenandoah National Park, click on the link below. Continue to click next when you have finished each journal entry until you reach Harpers Ferry, where her journal currently ends.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=142309

Ewker
06-20-2006, 10:10
I meet Hardcore at Roan High Knob Shelter this past weekend. He didn't start from Springer until May 1st. He is planning on doing a flip flop somewhere down the trail

minnesotasmith
06-21-2006, 22:22
I'm at Bears Den Hostel, just south of Snickers Gap, VA. This is about 20 miles south of Harpers Ferry, WV, and about 998 miles north of Amicalola (where I started my thruhike attempt).

Askus3
06-23-2006, 02:41
Yesterday, Thursday, June 22 at around 6 - 6:40 PM. I took my first Trail Angel hike to Wildcat Shelter. Here I shared several cans of beer and did my first of several visits to this shelter 2 miles north of NY 17A (Greenwood Lakee/Warwick). Of course I had along Sam "the PUG". At the shelter at the time of our visit were:
Traveling Mac & Free - thru hikers heading for Maine from Springer Mountain. They were a young couple in good spirits doing quite well. They just made a stop here and were continuing on to Mombasha High Point for the night. I told them not to miss taking a shower in Fitzgerald Falls. They were hoping to make Fort Montgomery Saturday morning for a postal drop.
Trump was also there. He was a section hiker working his way north from Shenandoah to Bear Mt. NY. So he only has two more days left on the trail.
The Wanderer started at Wind Gap and has Great Barrington as a goal.
PopPop is going from the Delaware Water Gap into CT to round out the 5 hikers I visited with this evening. The spring at the shelter is flowing nicely right now. This evening was a warm humid evening - 80 & hazy. Next visit is tentatively scheduled for Sunday evening, June 25.

tiamalle
06-23-2006, 07:39
I'm at Bears Den Hostel, just south of Snickers Gap, VA. This is about 20 miles south of Harpers Ferry, WV, and about 998 miles north of Amicalola (where I started my thruhike attempt).Good Luck MS.You are doing great.Sorry I missed getting to Meet you as you passed thru Franklin,NC
:o

Just a Hiker
06-23-2006, 08:38
I am SOBO right now and I am in Andover, ME taking a zero. As far as NOBO hikers.....TREK is in the lead with BONEPACKER right on his tail. They both should be north of Monson by now. DO-RAG, TACO, PA-BERT and SUNSET should be in north of Stratton by now.

Nokia
06-23-2006, 11:32
CheeseWhiz, Keystone, Edi, Tattoo & Pidgeon, Rapunzul, Willow, Barely, Cheeto, Contagous, Squirrel Master, and 5 unknown thrus are in Harpers Ferry or close by right now.

Adom
06-23-2006, 13:39
trenchfoot
skunk
m&m
mountain goat
sumo
swiss miss
master plan

all in or leaving DWG today

minnesotasmith
06-24-2006, 00:03
A couple took me into their home and are hosting me tonight. Saved me from 6 mile walk to shelter north of town after dark in the rain when I was already a bit beat.:D :welcome :banana

P.S. Thanks for the sentiments, Tiamelle.

Spiritual Pillgrim
06-24-2006, 15:05
Ended up detouring to my sisters in South Paris ME, about 1 hr from Pinkham Notch, NH. My bounce box was MIA but a nice guy named Mason called from the AMC center at the notch to say it is now there. Will head back out tomorrow and tackle Wildcat and her Kittens. Meow!!!

Barrel Roll
06-25-2006, 14:01
Stayed with Chestnut, a NOBO who lives near Springer, at Liberty Springs Tentsite - gave him my Mountain House and a pull of scotch :). Left this morning and passed Buffalo Bob, a NOBO from last year who had to get off at Hanover, finishing up his thru-hike this year, and Bluebird and Abandon, all three were in good spirits.

Nokia
06-25-2006, 16:51
Saw Model T and his buddy(not sure of name) and Carnivore in Harpers today.

stephanie
06-28-2006, 12:49
Has anyone seen or heard from Pi and K'ache. I was following their trail journal but there hasn't been an update since June 1st.

A-Train
06-29-2006, 23:52
A couple from Lousiana, Gumby and Coyote Bec, came into my shop in NYC today to buy some gear. They were with another thru-hiker (young guy) from Mississippi. Noticed them real easy with the Crocs and hiking skirts. They had taken the train from Pawling.

Spiritual Pillgrim
07-02-2006, 13:43
More weather poker games. Forecasted storms and early morning rain kept me off the trail from a slack pack. Imagine that. Am I soft or what. Will be picking back up on South Arm Rd (Andover, ME) and slack to Rangeley over 2 days before blasting (sputtering?) off from RT 4 again in a few days. Saw Chestnut and 10-Speed at The Cabin when I passed thru town.

Spiritual Pillgrim
07-06-2006, 20:26
Chestnut and I are at the Stratton Motel. Heard that 10-Speed is getting back on the trail in Andover today. There's about 1/2 doz SOBO's here.

Cookerhiker
07-08-2006, 10:22
Yesterday on HighTop Mountain, Shenandoah NP. I met some late-season NOBOs:

Fire & Whisp - started May 10, so they're making good time
Tooth Fairy - started May 1 - may stop sometime in PA and flip-flop
Old Coach
DocKnarly (sp?)

mweinstone
07-10-2006, 15:25
treegirl, jaywalker,wayfarrer,guns of jesus, taco you sly devils? i miss yall,alot.

Cheesewhiz
07-10-2006, 15:54
I am currenly at PA309 Blue mt. summit when I get back on trail tomorrow. I am currently at my aunts house in sinking springs, PA. My Leki's broke so I am curently waiting for the replacement parts so I can hike on. Hoping to covwer some good ground when I get back on.

ferryman
07-10-2006, 22:52
Northbounders continue to get closer to Katahdin daily as 7 thru-hikers crossed the Kennebec River this morning. W. A. Cooke, Graham McDaniel and Jon Drumm (start date 2-16) all from Signal Mtn, TN; Leiv "Waldo" (3-22) from Norway; Tim "Solo" Wilson (Feb) from Searsport, ME; Craig "Lockjaw" Stanley (3-4) from Columbia, SC; Last but not least is former 1998 thru-hiker and Yo :sun Yo super hiker, the one and only "The Can-do man" (3-4) who arrived to the Kennebec River with a new set of titanium hips. I remember Jeff Murkett's crossing on the Kennebec River back in '98' when he was headed south on the flip side of a yo yo. Jeff was the second hiker to reach Katahdin that year, however, he was one of the strongest hikers with a 75 lb pack hiking from GA to ME and then ME to GA in one year! Glad to see Jeff back out on the trail once again! About 20 northbounders have reached the 2020 mile mark at the Kennebec River so far this year. Along with the current 9-11am shift, we will be starting the second shift of 2-4pm this coming Sat July 15 until the end of September.

welsa
07-13-2006, 22:04
For those interested, Do-Rag, Taco and Pa Bert completed their thru-hikes on July 1, by climbing Katahdin together. We were #5, 6 and 7 for the season.
Pa Bert

VictoriaM
07-14-2006, 12:29
My husband saw four hikers coming out of High Point in NJ yesterday, hitching a ride to town. He didn't have room for them all so didn't stop. Any idea who it might have been? He was pretty sure they were thru hikers, based on their condition. ;)

Ridge
07-14-2006, 14:04
Probably the bulk scattered between NY and Gorham(NH/MA).

Spiritual Pillgrim
07-15-2006, 16:33
:banana Ron, Chestnut (accompanied by his Dad, Mark) and myself all reached the Holy Grail by noon on Friday, July 14th. The three of us "cruised" thru the 100 mile wilderness in 5 days, leaving Monson on July 10th. Chestnut and Ron reached the Birches by Thursday night. I did almost 30 miles from Potaywadjo lean-to to Hurd Brook lean-to on Thursday and started out Friday morning at 4:30 a.m. on the final leg. We were numbers 15 thru 17 according to the register at the Katahdin Spring CG Ranger station . Kip arrived at the CG late Friday afternoon and Red Ranger should be right behind him. I left Red Ranger at Cloud Pond lean-to on Tuesday morning. The Big K was all that and more. Congrats to Mark for hikin' up and down Hunt trail like a pro!

:D Was so glad I didn't have to hike this morning when I woke up at the AT Lodge in Millinocket. But now I wonder, what does life off the trail have in store for me ?

:sun NOBO's keep on truckin'! SOBO's, best of luck to you all. If I did it, you can too.

Lellers
07-15-2006, 17:42
I was camped at Big Meadows in Shenandoah Jul 12-14. Met Rickles McPickles and two women from England (Clair and Cin??). They were doing a bit of slack packing. The ladies are planning on yellow blazing PA. But Rick is gonna plow through those rocks. Rick told me about WhiteBlaze, which is why I'm here checking it out!

There were a fair number of late NOBOs at Big Meadows. Also met a SOBO from Detroit on Jul 12. Missed his name. He was only 11 days on the trail, having started with a 68 pound (!) pack. He was down to about 40 when he waved good-bye and headed out in good spirits.

Dharma
07-15-2006, 22:33
I was doing magic on July12-13 between RPH and Pawling and saw a number of NOBO hikers:

Compost, the Chocolate Bandito, Rematch, Low Gear, Kurly, Swansons, Montreal, Moe, Ponch, Snickers, Energizer Bunny

Footslogger
07-16-2006, 10:57
Here is a list of hikers we met last week between Rangeley and Gorham. There is a mix of northbounders and southbounders and by now they are all probably about 100 miles further than where we met them in both directions:

Mole Man
Pebbles
Jolly Green Giant
Salsa
Fat Camp
Huff n Puff
Rocky
Bullwinkle
Slow Leak
Truth & Mercy (the newlyweds)
Pond Water
Snickers
Just Joe
Soft Lipped Swam Donkey
Cletus
Sheep Frog
Blue Bird
Abandon
Ten Speed
Can Do Man
Caveman
Boots
Kansas
Chestnut
Fruity Pie
Wolf Clan
Mountain Squid

emerald
07-16-2006, 13:37
Baro and Jangles crossed the Hudson River as of July 14. If Donkey Love, Hot Springs and Mouse survived NYC, the Tribe's likely into Connecticut by now.

http://www.challengepoint.com/ (http://www.challengepoint.com/)

Larry's journal was updated at the time of my post, Jane's was not.

Askus3
07-17-2006, 08:01
Yesterday evening I made my irregular visit and second in a series of seven trail angel hikes to Wildcat Shelter. The shelter at 7 PM north of NY 17A was solely occupied by Iron Wolf. He seemed to be hurting and certainly appreciated the cold beer that I offered him. He said his knee is hurting and I believe he will have a tough time later on climbing and descending the serious mountains ahead in Vermont and northward.

He also told the story at the beginning of the trip where a fellow hiker (Phoenix) way back in Georgia he declared dead when he could not revive him at Collins Shelter. That must have been a tough discouraging blow and a bad start to his journey. Iron Wolf also showed us his hernia and other wounds he has dealt with on the trail. I wish him luck, and yesterday he did hike a considerable distance from Vernon, NJ in the intense heat, 90 degrees. But he is a determined old fellow giving it a go.

Tentatively, my next scheduled evening trail angel mini-hike is scheduled for Friday, July 21.

Spiritual Pillgrim
07-17-2006, 08:12
For those interested, Do-Rag, Taco and Pa Bert completed their thru-hikes on July 1, by climbing Katahdin together. We were #5, 6 and 7 for the season.
Pa Bert

Pa Bert,
Remember blowing me off the trail just before getting to Hot Springs? Hope I'm in the shape your in when I get to your age! What a story your grandchild can tell about his Grandpa Robert.

Askus3
07-21-2006, 22:03
Tonight Wildcat Shelter was hopping when I made my evening trail angel visit. Here tonight, Friday evening, July 21 from 6-7 PM were:

linc & Jeanne, willow & switch, Jersey, route step, Johnny K, rapunzo & Lone Wolf, then as I was leaving the woods heading back to NY 17A, coming north were Old School & Young Blood. There were also a couple of section hikers to add to the entourage.

Meanwhile Alex & I gave out beer, soda and snacks to a few of the lucky recipients and Sam "the Pug" provided the entertainment. So the shelter and tent sites were all filled and everyone was now going to figure out a way to avoid the mosquitoes.

Nokia
07-21-2006, 22:47
Saw Crazy Nuts and Power Stroke, both on the summit of Moosilauke (spelling?) yesterday. Crazy started at Springer May 9th, hence his name. Power Stroke was trying to do the Key West to Canada thing, but has been sick so he's not sure if he'll make it.

A-Train
07-21-2006, 22:56
2 more nobo's came into my shop in NYC today. Came off the trail from rt 23, High Pt. I've been terrible with getting names this yr, but they were a very young couple from the south. Girl had red hair and the guy was on his 2nd thru. One of them may have been called Squirrel...

A-Train
07-25-2006, 23:34
Saw lots and lots of NOBOs on my short Rt. 2 to Chesire overnight hike. Tented at Mark Noepel and met Shasta, H-Bomb, Snickers, Jesse James and Professor. Met Mulligan in Chesire today. Other names I remember include Johny Appleseed, WildBill, Gary. Passed probably 10 others who didn't stop to chat.

VictoriaM
07-26-2006, 22:22
I was out today in NY, about 10ish miles from NJ (near Greenwood Lake), and saw a nice lady called PA Bluebird. She stopped to chat with me and Askus3, and seemed to be doing well. She was excited about seeing a nearby waterfall tomorrow.

Askus3
07-27-2006, 00:10
Victoria beat me to this post. The two of us along with Magnus (correction) "the Pug" were out for some trail angel activity at Wildcat Shelter (first shelter northbound in NY), and nobody was there for our surprise generosity. So we left a frozen gallon of water and some other goodies and fed the mosquitoes with some of our blood and rested. On our return to 17A we came upon PA Bluebird, the lone thru-hiker we met on our hike. What was interesting to note is that PA Bluebird said yesterday she met her first southbound thru-hikers, so they are already invading New Jersey. The falls PA Bluebird mentioned was Fitzgerald Falls which is a pleasant ice cold shower to be enjoyed on these hot muggy days.

VictoriaM
07-27-2006, 16:42
One correction: The pug is actually Magnus (named after Magnus Samuelson, former world's strongest man). He's a pug embassador for hiking dogs.

dfiske
07-27-2006, 22:59
We saw Baro and Donkey Love at Upper Goose Pond on 7/23 (just
south of the Massachusetts Turnpike). Baro was aiming to make
Dalton, Mass. that night, and Donkey was planning to go into
Lee. Charonnay and Cabernet, and Jangles, were already further
north, from what they said.

Also, saw SOBOs Webster, Mono, and Agate.

Preacher Dude
07-28-2006, 00:39
Checked trailjournals.com today and discovered that "Skywalker" entered New Jersey a couple of days ago.

Preacher Dude
07-28-2006, 15:12
Got this info from Trailjournals.com. 93 NOBOS who are keeping trail journals on trailjournals.com have submitted entries during the month of July. They are scattered from Pennsylvania to Katahdin....with most being in NJ, NY, CT and Mass. Following is a list of some of them, their start dates and last known location...Many others can be found at www.trailjournals.com

NAME TRAIL NAME START LOCATION DATE

Brett & Bronwyn Social & Dandelion 4-1 Vernon, NJ 7-26
Beth Miller 4-30 Echoille Shelter, PA 7-26
Daniel McGee 4-4 Duncannon, PA 7-15
Michelle Bolling Brusier 4-2 Stewart Hollow Brook
Lean-to, CT 7-24
Josh Turner Yoshi 3-25 Rutland, VT 7-12
Erin & Lindsey Chardonay &
Cabernet 3-29 Race Brook Tent Site,MA 7-20
Tim Hunt Cohiba 3-12 Pawling, NY 7-19
Jean Zortman Jelly Bean 4-10 Cheshire, MA 7-23
Mark Hughes Postcard 4-6 Mt. Graylock, MA 7-18
Righty & Lefty 4-12 Del. Riv. Water Gap. NJ 7-26
Tonka & Patches Duncannon, PA 7-22
Upload and Stitches Hanover, NH 7-27

minnesotasmith
07-28-2006, 16:56
Occasionally rainy, and worth it IMO to break the heat.

VictoriaM
07-30-2006, 22:29
I ran into three nobo hikers today near wildcat shelter in NY. The first - a big guy in a white bandana - kept his eyes down and didn't speak to me, so I let him pass by. Forest and Hollywood came along shortly after. I'm wondering if there's a regular town stop just before here, because the four hikers I've seen so far have appeared very clean. Or is the rumor of thru hiker filth a bit exaggerated?

TJ aka Teej
07-30-2006, 22:49
Riverside, Mountain Squid, ToeJam, and Midlife Crisis probably are/were at Katahdin today. They were all about 30 miles south of Abol Bridge on the 27th.

A-Train
07-31-2006, 15:59
Thanks for the update Teej! Congrats to my buddy Riverside who finished in under 4 months! AND to all the others who completed or attempted the journey!

Askus3
08-01-2006, 14:58
Yesterday's (7/31 - 5-8 PM) trail angel mini-hike on a hot muggy evening brought beverages to this collection of hikers at the Wildcat Shelter (the first shelter you come to northbound into NY):

Mark a section hiker from Oregon started hiking at DWG and is hiking 16 days northbound to wherever it gets him.

Snail from WV lost 60 pounds and is doing admirably well as she progresses onward northbound. She is excited by the tales of cooler weather and exciting mountains ahead.

Bee Keeper and I exchanged stories and tales of our experiences in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. He has hiked there regularly as he is from Old Town, ME & now he is working his way back home from Springer.

Then on the way out after visiting the shelter I intercepted Possum (from Fredericksburg), Skywalker from New Boston, NH, Righty (part of the Righty-Lefty mother-daughter combo) from Myrtle Beach and Jericho from Ohio.

All these recipients enjoyed some refreshing beverages on a hot evening and all appeared to be doing well.

I am planning two more hikes into the Wildcat Shelter and maybe with some luck I will start seeing some southbounders.

Victoria M.: About 15 miles south of Wildcat Shelter is Vernon, NJ and the hostel with shower in a church basement. Many stop there and resume from NJ 94 and head north and their next overnight stop is Wildcat Shelter.

Aaron

gumball
08-01-2006, 18:46
My husband talked with Dreamer today, and I believe he said he is about a day or so away from the 100 mile wilderness in ME.

gum

minnesotasmith
08-02-2006, 08:21
Prana, Lumber, Garden Gnome, Blue, Mr. Miyagi (formerly Rooster) are all here as well. Arius left here this morning.

Jack Tarlin
08-02-2006, 15:57
Well Hanover's starting to get busy.

We've had folks at the house or out in the yard every day for the past week; the swimming hole's seen a lot of action as it's been around a hundred degrees the past few days, and the washing machine does nothing but bitch and moan. You can't walk down Main Street without seeing a backpack, and the air in the library and Post Office is redolent of hiker. Five Olde is also seeing a ton of business, along with Ramunto's Pizza which has been giving out free slices to thru-hikers for the past week. There also seem to be even more women on the streets than usual; none of the hikers seem to be in any hurry to leave, and at least one seems determined to take a zero week here.

Just like the old days!

Gotta run, time to see how much trash has collected at the house.

mweinstone
08-04-2006, 17:35
our conversations around clingmans dome are with me till i die and teaching me still. you are an honest man. thats what it should say on your tombstone.he was one of the most honest men i ever met. matthewski sends godspeed dreamer.

and to your wife whom you love i know.

and to the people you teach at your job.

godspeed dreamer.

the_iceman
08-06-2006, 10:42
I was on the trail SOBO from Dalton, MA to Lee last weekend and ran into Thor & Sven, Spitball, Sleepy the Arab, Chow Chow, and several others I forget to get their names. It was really hot but they were start to feel the pull of the Big K.

_boulder_
08-07-2006, 07:55
Not hiking yet on broken foot so took odvantage of a GREAT invite from Rock Dancer ('97) and Stitches ('99) to do some trail magic in the Whites. Set up at Crawford Notch on Saturday the 5th and Sunday the 6th.

On Saturday we saw:
Dub, Andy Dyfresne, Rematch, Grinds, Postcard, Chemist, Magic Shoes, Stumpknocker, and Mrs. Gorp. (And one more guy who, sadly, didn't sign the register and whose name I forgot even thought we've met previously on the trail.

Yesterday we saw:
Don Quixote, Da Bear (who's lost 80lbs since I last saw him in TN), Rain Maker, Humuhumunuhunukuapuoa (Hui), and Salt & Pepper.

Time To Fly 97
08-07-2006, 11:34
[quote=_boulder_]Not hiking yet on broken foot so took odvantage of a GREAT invite from Rock Dancer ('97) and Stitches ('99) to do some trail magic in the Whites.

Please say hi to Rock Dancer for me! TTF

mweinstone
08-07-2006, 16:56
mrs gorp and stumpy are the dope!we love you guys . ssssmooooooocccchhhh!

dfiske
08-07-2006, 20:03
Hiked Mt Cube in western NH and encountered:

Fred, Walkabout, Caboose, Energizer Bunny, Lunchbox, and Wild Bill.

All in good shape--looking forward to hitting the Whites soon.

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 02:47
Anyone have any word on the likes of Cedar Moe? There was a 'Dreamer' I met back in June in PA that should be close to finishing now....anyone know. He was an older guy with white hair who prefered to sleep in his Eureka Zues.

gumball
08-16-2006, 05:44
Anyone have any word on the likes of Cedar Moe? There was a 'Dreamer' I met back in June in PA that should be close to finishing now....anyone know. He was an older guy with white hair who prefered to sleep in his Eureka Zues.

Dreamer summitted just this past weekend, and still sleeps in his Eureka Zeus :)

mweinstone
08-16-2006, 07:35
on night dreamer camped far up trail from the shelter. that night me and clothspin(julie ann) could hear every word while he was on the cell till late into the night. in the morning he came to the shelter and we wanted to know why he diddnt hang out with us. he said he diddnt want to disturb us knowing he had hours of calls to make. the funny thing was when we told himm we heard him all night on the phone. he was like,.. did you hear what i was saying? and we were like,.. no but the sound of your voice was nice and we couldnt figure out at first if it was people comming or dreamer talking. hes the best of the best. nothin but honest.

gumball
08-16-2006, 16:34
on night dreamer camped far up trail from the shelter. that night me and clothspin(julie ann) could hear every word while he was on the cell till late into the night. in the morning he came to the shelter and we wanted to know why he diddnt hang out with us. he said he diddnt want to disturb us knowing he had hours of calls to make. the funny thing was when we told himm we heard him all night on the phone. he was like,.. did you hear what i was saying? and we were like,.. no but the sound of your voice was nice and we couldnt figure out at first if it was people comming or dreamer talking. hes the best of the best. nothin but honest.

Dreamer is really the best of the best. He and his wife are the ones who introduced us to the AT...he guided me over the Knife's Edge on our first AT hike in POURING down rain, and I knew when he reached out his hand, I'd make it over and be just fine. I was terrified. Of course, he stopped to take my picture first (Dreamer takes LOTS of pics)...he's a great human.

Topcat
08-16-2006, 18:56
Does anyone know if "Will Call" made it alright? We saw him in Maryland and he was great talking to scouts who were with us and seemed like a really nice guy. He was first through Harper's Ferry but havent seen him talked about lately

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 19:00
Dreamer is really the best of the best. He and his wife are the ones who introduced us to the AT...he guided me over the Knife's Edge on our first AT hike in POURING down rain, and I knew when he reached out his hand, I'd make it over and be just fine. I was terrified. Of course, he stopped to take my picture first (Dreamer takes LOTS of pics)...he's a great human.

Yes, he did make sure to take all of our pictures that night.

emerald
08-17-2006, 22:29
Chardonnay fans will be happy to learn she's reached Pinkham Notch.

Click on the link below to hike with her through her home state of New Hampshire. Check out her photos too. She was blessed with some fine weather.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=152690

emerald
08-17-2006, 22:43
Snail from WV lost 60 pounds and is doing admirably well as she progresses onward northbound. She is excited by the tales of cooler weather and exciting mountains ahead.

Bee Keeper and I exchanged stories and tales of our experiences in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. He has hiked there regularly as he is from Old Town, ME & now he is working his way back home from Springer.
Aaron

Thanks for the Snail update. She has many fans pulling (or is that pushing) for her back in West Virginia and I've done as much as I can to help.

I know she's really been looking forward to New Hampshire and Maine and is closing in on it now!

trailangelmary
08-18-2006, 04:21
Anyone have any word on the likes of Cedar Moe?

He summitted on Aug 4. He then started hitching his way back to Tenn. I met him in Duncannon on 8/9 and gave him his ninth ride on 8/10 since his hitch started. He said it took him 5 days to hitch to Duncannon. He was really happy to have made it this far so quickly and loved seeing Duncannon again. I took him an hour down I-81. His hope was to walk into his home church on Sunday the 13th. Oh...but don't tell his Mom he was hitching south. She thinks he is taking a bus!!! :)

Cheesewhiz
08-19-2006, 19:39
Im in Rutland, VT zeroing with my GF then hiking again tomorrow

Mountain Dog
08-21-2006, 17:16
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Power Stroke. He started in Key West Florida on 1/1/2006 headed to Canada. I crossed him in Alabama and again in Hot Springs, N.C. I read he was sick in N.H and might have to stop. Any updates since?

Roland
08-22-2006, 17:02
These folks haven't posted in a long time. Does anyone know how their thru-hikes are going?

justusryans (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=124890#post124890)
dje97001 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=125209#post125209)
DavidNH (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=127562#post127562)
lilmountaingirl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=131442#post131442)

Ewker
08-22-2006, 19:57
I heard lilmountaingirl and green monkee had to get off but are hiking the Long Trail instead

Jack Tarlin
08-22-2006, 20:07
Still plenty of folks in Hanover, with lots more still coming. According to the ones I spoke with today, Rutland and Manchester Center are full of folks, so I think it'll stay busy here til at least the first week in September.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2006, 20:35
Has anyone spotted Coconut Monkey or Dinosaur lately?

Alligator
08-23-2006, 22:01
These folks haven't posted in a long time. Does anyone know how their thru-hikes are going?

justusryans (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=124890#post124890)
lilmountaingirl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=131442#post131442)

dje97001 is off the trail.
http://www.ellishiking.com/

Preacher Dude
08-24-2006, 18:33
Jellybean, Cash, Lifesaver, waterwings, Sourdough, Parkbench, Irish, Sandman and Lunchbox all crossed into Maine around 8/17.
As of yesterday, Skywalker was in Vermont.

Dadgum
08-24-2006, 18:41

Yeah (dje97001--I'm now Dadgum!) I got a hernia in Manchester VT and had to get off. I'm pretty disappointed right now, but there isn't much I can do about it. I've got surgery coming up near the end of september and in the mean time am looking for a job. Too bad the trip ended that way, but what can you do...

minnesotasmith
08-25-2006, 20:56
Along with about 7 other NOBOs and 2 SOBOs.

_boulder_
08-26-2006, 13:49
I got a call from Uberdude yesterday. He summited three days ago.
Got a message from Energizer Bunny. She summits on Monday.

I'm still home but will get back on trail around Hanover next week.
Foot's recovered.

emerald
08-26-2006, 14:00
[Hikers he met at Hanover indicated] Rutland and Manchester Center are full of folks

Anyone there now with access to WhiteBlaze.net who can tell us who's there? I am especially wondering about Snail and Beekeeper.

Also wondering about Adom who has not yet replied to a PM I sent. Is Trenchfoot well and planning to finish this year?

mweinstone
08-26-2006, 16:01
me and coconut monkeywalked into hot springs together and hes the fstest hiker i ever met next to bone pac so barring any stoppage,.. he must have summited long ago . this guys a 40 mileler on a regular basis. hes a runner. he can run 75 miles at a time.i hope we find out what happened to him.

Kaptain Kangaroo
08-26-2006, 17:43
me and coconut monkeywalked into hot springs together and hes the fstest hiker i ever met next to bone pac so barring any stoppage,.. he must have summited long ago . this guys a 40 mileler on a regular basis. hes a runner. he can run 75 miles at a time.i hope we find out what happened to him.

I last saw Coconut Monkey leaving Gorham as we were coming into town. He summited Katahdin on July 6 (six days before we did !)

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

trailangelmary
08-27-2006, 10:18
Copied from an email from Waltzing Matilda who is off the trail because of blood clot in her leg.

Bluey, Vegemite and Knock Knock have just reached the Whites and Hawkeye is
trying to catch them after spending some time with me while I was in
hospital. Knock Knock has also spent a couple of days in hospital as a bite
on his leg became very infected. Hawkeye ran into Mudflap, Daisy and Sizzle
the other day so all your unintentional southbounders are doing well.
(Except me I suppose)

Waltzing Matilda

Cheesewhiz
08-29-2006, 21:07
im now in glencliff

Askus3
08-30-2006, 10:36
On Friday, August 25, I went up to complete my section hike with a hike from Mahoosuc Notch to Success Trail southbound. This hike was tabled from my section hike in June (from South Arm Road near Andover, ME to US 2 near Gorham, NH), where the rains and my case of pneumonia aborted my hike. So on this date in the Mahoosuc Range in ME-NH my group met: Northbounders: Mr & Mrs Parkay, Lush, Shumo, Shenanigans, Montreal & redb with his daschund LP. Amazingly, I also ran into Free & Wedgy resting on Fulling Mill Mountain. This couple I first ran into back in early July at the Wildcat Rocks in NY where Free took a photo of me and partook in the beverage I offered as part of my weekly Trail Angel activity. She remembered me! Southbounders I met were: ToothFairy whom I enjoyed walking with between East & West Goose Eye as well as Seagrass.

Preacher Dude
08-30-2006, 14:48
Skywalker, Righty and Jericho crossed into New Hampshire on 8-29.

illusionistG
08-30-2006, 20:32
Good to hear Shumo and Montreal are still making their way north. While on R&R from Iraq my son and I took a day off from trail maintenance, and were in Plymouth for lunch. We saw them hitching out of town so we shuttled them to the Rt. 25C trail head(next road crossing after the Ore Hill shelter.) I think she had to go to the Plymouth Hospital. Very nice folks enjoying the trail and America.

mweinstone
08-31-2006, 23:49
sup lp? yo were still bros.xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxlp!matthewski.

Smile
08-31-2006, 23:54
Yeah! Energizer Bunny made it - cool :)

Thor
09-01-2006, 17:39
Just entering Hanover today:
Garden Gnome, Danger, Pixie, Two-Step, Iroc, Tomato Gravy, Snake-Eyes and myself, Wooly Bear.

Appalachian Tater
09-01-2006, 18:11
Powerstroke was halfway up Katahdin on August 27th when he fell from an iron rung and broke his wrist.

The Old Fhart
09-03-2006, 10:39
Out doing trail magic in Grafton Notch yesterday and had a great time seeing the following hikers who are all doing well. Slick B, Mule, Bruiser, Baltimore(Bill), Otter Cohiba, She-Bear, F-Bomb, 42, Pinata, Ranger Dawg, and Model T.

SourBall (A.T.'94) was also there to greet Model T who he had hiked with in 1994 and stayed to hike with him for the day. SourBall recognized me from meeting me on the trail, probably pre 1990, and I remembered commenting on his name when we first met. I had hiked with Model T in 1998 and planned my trip to meet him as he got to the notch. Everyone had a great time swapping trail stories plus the Grafton Notch Park Rangers talked to us about thru-hiking and were great hosts.

"Maine, the way life should be" lived up to its motto!

Shirl
09-03-2006, 15:59
As of Sept. 2, 2006, Bama, Brainfreeze, Fiddlehead, G-Walk, Rusch Hour, Baldylocks, Moe & Ponch, Professor & Jesse James, Birkenstock, Cool Hand, Identity Crisis, Treehouse, Adirondack 46er & Storyteller, Rising Sun, G-Man and BP were at The Cabin in Est Andover, ME.

Lawn Sale
09-04-2006, 00:49
Powerstroke was halfway up Katahdin on August 27th when he fell from an iron rung and broke his wrist.

He was just ahead of me when it happened at the first set of rungs, nasty sight. He was treated on site by a cute Canadian medical student, taken back off the mountain by someone who had twisted their wrist in the same spot and could not continue, and both were treated at the local hospital. His wrist was bent into an "S" shape, definitely broken in at least 2 places. I felt really bad for him knowing how far he'd come.

Lawn Sale
09-04-2006, 00:52
Big Toe is headed back south (flip-flopper), but without Trapper, who developed more back problems on the 100 Mile Wilderness and went home. I got Big Toe resupplied and rested, he was headed south from Monson last Wednesday, 8/30.

StarLyte
09-04-2006, 08:08
Out doing trail magic in Grafton Notch yesterday and had a great time seeing the following hikers who are all doing well. Slick B, Mule, Bruiser, Baltimore(Bill), Otter Cohiba, She-Bear, F-Bomb, 42, Pinata, Ranger Dawg, and Model T.

SourBall (A.T.'94) was also there to greet Model T who he had hiked with in 1994 and stayed to hike with him for the day. SourBall recognized me from meeting me on the trail, probably pre 1990, and I remembered commenting on his name when we first met. I had hiked with Model T in 1998 and planned my trip to meet him as he got to the notch. Everyone had a great time swapping trail stories plus the Grafton Notch Park Rangers talked to us about thru-hiking and were great hosts.

"Maine, the way life should be" lived up to its motto!

WOOHOOOO thanx for the posts you guys!!! Always love this thread!!!!!!

mweinstone
09-04-2006, 09:54
lunchboxdoodlefingers and scarecrowaposhtaphy along with that fab 4,..cucumberlettucelips and ouchmyfoothurtsmike, joeythepig and nympho were all seen nowhere cause they dont exist. but if they did they'd have cool names.

Big Oz
09-04-2006, 11:14
lunchboxdoodlefingers and scarecrowaposhtaphy along with that fab 4,..cucumberlettucelips and ouchmyfoothurtsmike, joeythepig and nympho were all seen nowhere cause they dont exist. but if they did they'd have cool names.You will find this cartoon run over by a car
at a trail crossing before he gets to Maine.When I first saw him in Helen,I
was surprised he made it out of Ga.

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2006, 14:54
Half a dozen arrived in Hanover this morning, but it's definitely slowing down big-time.

If folks aren't here by the tenth, they'll have to make good time to hit Baxter by the fifteenth, as most folks take from 34-39 days from here to finish their hikes. Of course, there'll be some stragglers and folks who are planning to summit later than the 15th, but hiker season here is pretty much winding down.

Anyone out looking for big crowds of hikers would do well to check out Gorham or Andover, both of which are probably swamped. There's also a quite large group planning to summit on the 23rd, which would put them somewhere near Andover right about now.

Am bittersweet about the end of the season in Hanover as there have been some great folks passing thru this year or staying out at the house but the good news is once the season ends here, I can get the hell outta town and go hike for a bit. Time to test the knee and lose the gut.

Lugnut
09-05-2006, 18:01
Time to test the knee and lose the gut.

Gettin' tired of kids asking if you used to be Baltimore Jack? :D

Mystic's Journey
09-06-2006, 12:20
Mystic, Marley, Gator Goat, Chill and Tex summited Katahdin on Saturday, September 2nd.:banana

Ewker
09-06-2006, 12:49
I see where Upload and Stitches's summited on Sept 1st

Namaste
09-06-2006, 20:01
Has anyone seen Mac? I saw him at the Gren Anderson shelter in NJ about August 27th. A bit slow for a NOBO but in good spirits. He's from Ohio about 50+ years. I hope he makes Katahdin by Oct. 15th.

Jack Tarlin
09-07-2006, 19:29
A dozen at the house last night, mostly NOBO's, but also three wonderful sectioners from Israel. The NOBO's seem to think there are very few hikers behind them who plan to get to Katahdin by 15 October, and if these folks don't arrive in Hanover by the 12th, I'm inclined to agree. Time's getting kinda short.

6's and 7's
09-12-2006, 09:54
anyone seen stinky and orangutan?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-12-2006, 16:47
Anyone seen lichen & carbomb?

boarstone
09-14-2006, 14:55
While picking up food pails and trash pail, a fellow by the trailname "pumpkin" was taking a break. Older gentleman, blue backpack, unknown where from. Didn't get to ask. He was in the "100 mile wilderness" at Cooper Brook/Jo-Mary road crossing this day around 2pm.:sun

mweinstone
09-14-2006, 18:06
minnisota smith sighted somewhere on trail .that is all.

Cheesewhiz
09-14-2006, 20:15
they are here with me in Andover ME and I passed Minnesota Smith in gorham

Cheesewhiz
09-14-2006, 20:19
Samauri, rapunzel, shrek, soulive, giggles, E.D., Keystone, Nickname, Flying tourtise, bright eyes, catch up, Forrest, Sizzle, mudflap, daisy, me(cheesewhiz) stinky, orangutang, tae, one-step, .......maybe even more. plus some flip-floppers i've not met yet.

boarstone
09-15-2006, 19:44
Scoop & Bucket from Tennessee were at Jo-Mary road Sept. 12, both are doing fine...got food cach and are still north bound....

Kerosene
09-19-2006, 11:56
I encountered Polar Bear, Riceburner, and Longshot several times during my trek through the Whites last week. Polar Bear was at Lakes of the Clouds Hut on Friday night, 9/15. Riceburner and Longshot hitched to Montreal and were off the trail for 3 days; we shuttled them from Pinkham Notch to Crawford Notch on Sunday afternoon, 9/16.

Alligator
09-19-2006, 13:05
they are here with me in Andover ME and I passed Minnesota Smith in gorhamDid you bark this time:D ?

Jack Tarlin
09-19-2006, 17:34
There are STILL hikers passing thru Hanover. They either intend to hike very fast indeed, or acknowledge that they will arrive at Baxter after the 15th.