PDA

View Full Version : maps or not?

mattp
12-17-2017, 23:55
Hi everyone - I'm planning a NOBO thru hike for this coming spring, and one topic I can't find a whole lot of info on is whether or not to bring maps? I was planning to use the AWOL guide and have the Guthook app/maps on my phone for backup info. However a part of me feels like I should have maps, since they've always been such a critical part of by backpacking safety planning in the past. It seems kind of crazy to set off without them!
I'm sure there are many schools of thought on this topic, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Matt

Turtle-2013
12-18-2017, 00:15
I'm a section hiker so bringing a map along isn't a big deal.... after all I can bring just what I need for that trip and not worry about swapping out, carrying extra till my next bounce box, etc. ALSO, I'm actually competent with maps, in the past I have taught orienteering, and other map skills. HOWEVER, I rarely bring them ... and I don't think I would even consider them for a thru. The AWOL guide will be far more crucial than the AT maps since the maps that will be most useful are the "town" maps showing where services are. Plus if you have the Guthook app (which I don't use), you will have trail mapping available that GPS locates where you are.

That is just my opinion of course .. but as a thru hiker, I THINK that you would find the maps un-used and un-necessary ... at least most of the time.

Ron
Turtyl

Sarcasm the elf
12-18-2017, 00:32
At minimum, have a good set of maps for the white mountains in NH. The A.T. up there was built by borrowing sections of existing trails that were already named and the signage/blazing can get a bit confusing.

KDogg
12-18-2017, 01:42
You have everything you need. I didn't see a single person on my thru that had separate paper maps. You just don't need them. Even Guthooks is an extravagance, but a very handy one.

cockblock moses
12-18-2017, 02:38
Maybe on the PCT, the AT? Nah. When are you gonna get lost on the AT and pull out the TOPO under a bunch trees and figure out where you are (when you are lost in the first place). Lol good luck with that. But you just won’t even use them. You are always under trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
12-18-2017, 06:01
Chances are, you won't need a map. But if you NEED A MAP, and don't have one, what are you going to do? Will you be hiking during winter weather? Will your phone work reliably?

From time to time someone asks whether they need to bring a trowel. Others will say, nah, just use your trekking pole, or the heel of your boot. But neither of those, in my opinion, is even close to adequate. In many conditions, it's difficult to dig a barely adequate hole through roots even with a good trowel.

Do people hike successfully without maps, or without a trowel, or without a shelter, or without a phone, or without water treatment, or without some other item that is thought essential by another person? Yeah. Did they hike responsibly?

DownEaster
12-18-2017, 06:08
I'm going NoBo in late winter, and don't plan on any maps that aren't on my phone. The white blazes are almost always easy to follow. Plus it's a busy trail, so you can generally find someone else to follow if your phone konks out. There are very few people who will walk a considerable distance off trail before noticing, but are also good at locating themselves on a map. Very few indeed.

rickb
12-18-2017, 06:56
i think maps have the potential to provide motivation.

Even if you don’t use them for navigation at all, but rather use them to visualize where you have already been — and appreciate just how far you walked the past day, or weeek, or morning — they can have value.

Amd as for what’s ahead, the can be sort of like your own personal trainer shouting words of encouragement, and pushing you to get your ass in gear for the next workout.

Traveler
12-18-2017, 08:17
There seems to be an opinion that no one needs a map, ever, on the AT. Likely few of these opinions have faced the confusion of the White Mountains (as Elf points out) or needed to find a fast way off the trail for medical needs. One doesn't need shoes to walk the AT either, however they consistently prove to be a useful tool.

There are some basic tools one should have in the back country, weather protection, fire starting materials, water, and navigation tools being high on that list. Many of these opinions rely on someone else to point the way when in fact there may not be anyone there to do that when its most needed.

hikermiker
12-18-2017, 08:26
Antigravity gear sells strip maps printed on water resistant paper that weigh 0.14 oz each. They are not as detailed as a full map but do complement the Awol guide or Companion. https://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/pocket-profiles-guides-books/pocket-profile-appalachian-trail-elevation-profile-map-sets/

Lone Wolf
12-18-2017, 08:52
yes. bring maps

Turtle-2013
12-18-2017, 09:01
All good comments, on BOTH sides of the discussion. Maps CAN be useful, most people don't have the expertise to use them, many should get the training to know how to use them. I've used some strip maps "like" the Antigravity Gear maps in the past ... but they were useless ... leaving off even major road crossings if there were several in a short distance. The Antigravity Gear maps APPEAR to be MUCH better. They appear to be actual topo maps just cut down to what is useful for the AT corridor. I'll probably try them at some point since I like maps.

That said ... I'll stick to my initial comment that "I THINK that you would find the maps un-used and un-necessary ... at least most of the time." as amended by "the Elf". While I have hiked in the White, that is the major section of the AT I have yet to complete, but I can easily see that they may have great value in that area. Also, I wasn't commenting on motivational factors, or safety value. I was only suggesting that in my experience of WATCHING thru hikers ... MAPS ... with the exception of digital maps ... never come out of the pack. AND because it takes SO MANY, I don't think most even have them, and manage quite well. It is like the Original Guide books ... which I really like for their detail and completeness. However, I haven't actually seen a thru hiker use them in recent years ... even though from time to time I'll carry one so that I can read up of the area in the evenings.

Which ever way you go ... stay safe, and happy trails!!

lonehiker
12-18-2017, 09:02
You don't need a map to navigate the AT just as you don't need a seatbelt to operate a car...

Fairway
12-18-2017, 10:04
I didn't carry maps on the trail, instead I relied on AWOL's guide. There were sections of trail where maps who'd have been great... GSMNP, Roan Highlands, Grayson Highlands, White Mountains, Maine. I missed the allure of looking at maps in those areas. I like looking at maps. If you do too, well then carry maps. I wish I did.

TexasBob
12-18-2017, 10:10
Antigravity gear sells strip maps printed on water resistant paper that weigh 0.14 oz each. They are not as detailed as a full map but do complement the Awol guide or Companion. https://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/pocket-profiles-guides-books/pocket-profile-appalachian-trail-elevation-profile-map-sets/

I would be interested to hear other people's opinions of these maps. I bought them but frankly I don't see them as useful because of their scale. There just isn't enough detail to be helpful if you where lost or needed to find a nearby road to get off the trail for an emergency or weather and that is what you need maps for.

TwoRoads
12-18-2017, 11:32
I've never thru-hiked (that's for 2018), but I've only carried pages from the AWOL guide, and have never carried maps, nor thought I needed them or wished I'd packed them. The AWOL guide and white blazes have been plenty for me. Never been in the White Mountains, though, so Elf's comments might have me packing maps there, don't know.

soumodeler
12-18-2017, 12:30
You don't maps on the AT... until you need a map. GSMNP is the only place I personally have needed a map, and that was not for the AT itself, but to get off the AT as quickly as possible. AWOL tells you where side trails are, but not where they go. I had to rely on asking others, and finally ran across a day hiker who had a map that showed where I needed to go.

I now have the Guthook app with the maps for the section I am in downloaded offline. While not a perfect solution, it is good enough as long as my phone works.

Gambit McCrae
12-18-2017, 12:39
Good to go with Awol and Guthooks. If you are confident in your cellphone/ battery capacity/ waterproofness of phone etc etc I would even consider ditching the awol. There are guide books at just about every hostel that pictures can be taken of, but like I said I would just stick with gut hooks. That is all I personally bring.

ScottTrip
12-18-2017, 12:44
I carried no maps on the AT on the AWOL Guide, except through the White Mountains in NH. Just in case a big weather change I had an idea how to bail out....

Dogwood
12-18-2017, 15:06
Hi everyone - I'm planning a NOBO thru hike for this coming spring, and one topic I can't find a whole lot of info on is whether or not to bring maps? I was planning to use the AWOL guide and have the Guthook app/maps on my phone for backup info. However a part of me feels like I should have maps, since they've always been such a critical part of by backpacking safety planning in the past. It seems kind of crazy to set off without them!
I'm sure there are many schools of thought on this topic, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
MattBased on what you've said you probably will not need them.
However, agree with well made pts by Rickb, Traveler, Ilabelle, and LW. Good pt Rick made. Since this is likely your first really long hike I can think of many other things less necessary you'll have to learn for yourself that you'll wind up not needing.

And, FWIW IMO it's best to habituate early to a very high degree of self sufficiency on a long hike than 100% relying on others for navigation, AT lean-to's, popping into towns/hostels at the first signs of inclement weather, etc. IMHO a thru hike can be a life skills building experience as well as a sobering eye opening up from the cultural comforts (standards) of this society?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SkeeterPee
12-18-2017, 15:53
is there any chance of photographing the maps on your phone would work? Then some way to print out a week or two a time when in town? Anyone try that?

Feral Bill
12-18-2017, 16:06
It's not all about not getting lost or achieving a goal. Maps contain a wealth of information that will enrich your outdoor experience. If you can not read them well enough to benefit from them, it is time to learn.

Feral Bill
12-18-2017, 16:08
is there any chance of photographing the maps on your phone would work? Then some way to print out a week or two a time when in town? Anyone try that? I suppose you could store all you want on a thumb drive. Printing could be an issue. Probably easier to have them sent ahead as you travel.

bigcranky
12-18-2017, 16:14
We do longer sections, and I use the maps almost every day. On the Long Trail I was using it constantly. I like maps :)

There are alternative maps available that are easier to use and carry than the "official" ATC maps. National Geographic sells small map books (https://www.postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3), about the size of a folded map but they open like a book. These have big chunks of trail, two or three hundred miles per book. They are excellent quality maps with plenty of detail. Then I think Postholer is still selling three map books that cover the entire AT at this link (https://www.postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3). I've not seen those but they look interesting. You can carry one and have each of the others mailed at the appropriate spot.

soilman
12-18-2017, 19:38
I agree with Soumodeler. You don't need a map till you need one. I have carried a map on probably every hike I have taken in the past 40 plus years. There were a couple of instances on my NOBO AT thru hike where a map came in handy. In one case I came to a valley with a lot of jeep roads and other paths and could not figure out where the AT was. I pulled out my map and quickly found my way back. Now I probably could have found the trail without a map if I spent a good deal of time backtracking and hunting around randomly. The companions and guides do not provide enough detail if you need to quickly evacuate. I used the AntiGravity maps on my BMT hike this year along with the NatGeo maps. The AG strip maps do not have enough detail to be of much use. I mainly kept it in my pocket and referred to the waypoints to make sure I was on the correct trail. I have to admit that I have a map bias. I started at an early age earning my orientation merit badge in boy scouts and then spent a large part of my professional career making and using maps.

LazyLightning
12-18-2017, 20:05
I saw a couple people mentioned the National Geographic maps which is what I have. I plan to bring one to start then swap them at the drop boxes, I'll end up carrying 2 at once since I'll get the next one before I get through the previous. Also bringing pages of AWOL's guide at a time to swap the same way.

Are these maps good enough for the Smoky Mountains and the Whites? ... those are the two places I see mentioned most as far as having maps for.

I bring topo maps when I hike in my backyard just for a better picture of everything, so bringing them on the AT isn't a question for me. I'm just wondering if I should have a more detailed map for the Smokies or the Whites.

fiddlehead
12-18-2017, 21:42
I remember back in '77 when I hiked, we had maps.
They were just strip maps and showed the trail only (about a mile to each side maybe)
Then we met a guy who was carrying the state AAA road maps.
We all gathered around him to see our resupply options.
I guess they don't make them anymore (state road maps) as everyone has a phone with built in GPS and zooming options.
paper maps limit you to the zoom level they are made for, and are going out of necessary use.
Phone maps are just so much better.
Of course, you must think about water and battery with any phone operation.

skinnbones
12-18-2017, 22:16
200 miles on the A.T. and never got lost. This is saying a lot considering how bad I'm with directions. Awol book and just pay attention to the blazes is all you need.

Feral Bill
12-18-2017, 22:57
IPhone maps are just so much better.

A screen the size of a playing card is hardly an improvement over a couple square feet or more of paper. That's what generates the need for the zooming in the first place.

One Half
12-18-2017, 23:12
At minimum, have a good set of maps for the white mountains in NH. The A.T. up there was built by borrowing sections of existing trails that were already named and the signage/blazing can get a bit confusing.
Agreed. Note that Sarcasm states "have a good set of maps for the white mountains in NH" not "the AT map for the whites." In case of bad weather, which can change quickly to an extreme, you want to be able to find a "down route" ASAP. Knowing that heading north for 1/4 mile will connect you to a good down route versus backtracking for 3 miles before getting off the ridge line could be the difference between life and death. And yes, including in the summer.

Feral Bill
12-19-2017, 00:52
Agreed. Note that Sarcasm states "have a good set of maps for the white mountains in NH" not "the AT map for the whites." In case of bad weather, which can change quickly to an extreme, you want to be able to find a "down route" ASAP. Knowing that heading north for 1/4 mile will connect you to a good down route versus backtracking for 3 miles before getting off the ridge line could be the difference between life and death. And yes, including in the summer. So very true. I remember hiking down from the ridge to the Great Gulf on a trail that was knee deep in flowing water,, and being glad to do it. A long ago but vivid memory.

colorado_rob
12-19-2017, 10:21
I echo what others have said about having maps in the Whites... it sure is confusing up there. The actual AT is not well marked, at least to my old eyes...

Being old and having hiked for 50+ years, I love maps. It's fun being able to see and identify your surroundings (peaks, rivers, etc), and occasionally using them to find your way. I never hike without some form of a map.

That being said, if there is any trail you can hike without any sort of a map, the AT is one of those. You won't die on the AT because you don't have any sort of map.

I did find a map REALLY handy twice... both times I was yacking away with a fellow hiker and stopped paying attention to the blazes and got maybe a mile off trail (on a side trail). The "map" I used to get back on the AT was simply Google maps on my phone. If you zoom in enough, the AT does show up on Google maps. I personally think this (along with a TI map of the Whites) is all the "map" you need on the AT for the occasional screw-up. And as far as seeing nearby towns, etc, again, google maps provides all that info nicely with a little blue dot of your current location. NO, you do not need to be in service for that level of zoom, but you do need to be in service for the zoom level that includes the AT. Or you can cache a high level of detail when in service.

Even being a long-time map lover, I now think for the most part that physical maps are a waste of paper and resources. With today's accurate GPS phone and map apps, I just don't see the need. Old timers and other nay-sayers will say: "But phones fail, and then you are up a particular creek w/o a paddle". Well, what actually fails on a phone 99% of the time? The battery, of course. So if you carry an extra battery, this takes away 99% of that worry. Todays phone screens are large enough to zoom and pan around a map easily enough. I carry Jpeg images of maps generated in Caltopo, with the GPS grid (in UTM) turned on, so basically I can always find my way around no problem on obscure trails. Sure, you can lose your phone or drop it, but you can lose paper maps as well. I have.

Being super conservative however, on REALLY sketchy routes, like the Sierra High Route, where routefinding is critical for safety, I do carry a paper backup, and by the way, I always have a 0.3 ounce compass with me.

Just my own Modus Operandi.

mattp
12-19-2017, 13:53
Thanks everyone for your awesome thoughts and suggestions. Super helpful! This is such a great community and I hope to meet some of you on the trail one day.
Cheers and happy hiking,
Matt

Astro
12-19-2017, 15:19
Had maps in GA, nice but didn't really need. Started carrying maps again in NH and will through ME.

Highland Goat
12-20-2017, 07:30
I you have always carried maps, then it is part of you hiking style and you should maintain that. I use maps extensively.

blw2
12-20-2017, 07:55
I've not on the AT, and not on a through hike.....but I enjoy maps. Sometimes I like to study the area around where I am at that moment. I find that I sometimes discover things that I otherwise miss....and a paper map is often better for this than zooming and panning around on that little phone screen. I also find it fun to review...like in the evening look at where I've been and get a preview of where I'll be going tomorrow.
on an AT through hike though, I can see not bringing maps....trying to save the grams and all....just follow the trail.
When I finally do get to do my section on the AT I'll probably bring a map, just for entertainment purposes.

Goingforalittlewalk
12-21-2017, 08:46
Well I'm ok of map reading...sometime..lol
Once I've found myself and decide which way to go, put the map away.. then put it out again... because I forget. .
Now days I just use my phone... offline, gaia , appalachian trail and osmand app.. downloaded maps, gpx and waymarks.. will look for an up to date AT route near the time.
If I feel uncomfortable in a area and can't see a path, I'll just track myself..at least I can go back..

Linesman
12-21-2017, 09:46
If you're just planning on following the AT, data book and elevation profile are more than enough. Maps are required if you're the type who hikes side trails. Check my online map of the AT if its something you're interested in: http://bighike.net/m

Koozy
12-21-2017, 13:20
You don't need maps for the AT.

I have the entire set for the AT, and during my thru hike I had them sent every 400 miles. But the only time I looked at them was after I completed a section, and I'd say to myself, "Oh, that's where I was" or "Wow, look how far I went today." That was one item I wish I left at home.

That said, having a good map for the White Mountains section would prove to be useful. As echoed in a previous post, the AT is not always well labeled at trail junctions in the Whites as it consists of a series of other trails. One wrong turn and a couple miles of backtracking alone is worth the weight of a 3 page map of the Whites.

SkeeterPee
12-21-2017, 18:58
is there any chance of photographing the maps on your phone would work? Then some way to print out a week or two a time when in town? Anyone try that?

Did some experimentation with the PA maps. A picture did not work well. Very hard to get quality image you can zoom in on. But I tried my printer/scanner and one map took 9 scans. for total of about 15mb. I then mailed them to myself so they are on my phone. I can zoom in on these with great detail. Also, I could easily print them in a library of hotel if they have a printer center. I may try it this way on the next section hike.

colorado_rob
12-21-2017, 19:48
Did some experimentation with the PA maps. A picture did not work well. Very hard to get quality image you can zoom in on. But I tried my printer/scanner and one map took 9 scans. for total of about 15mb. I then mailed them to myself so they are on my phone. I can zoom in on these with great detail. Also, I could easily print them in a library of hotel if they have a printer center. I may try it this way on the next section hike.All that is well and good, but give Caltopo a try. It's free, you can zoom to any scale you want, with all sorts of map layer option (NGS topos, but I like the "map builder" topos better, seems newer). Then you can make Jpegs or Pdf's to your hearts content and load those directly to your phone. Easy peasy, once you get past about an hour's worth of learning curve.

Here's an example, the AT from Hot Springs north maybe 10 trail miles or so, took 3 minutes to generate

Skinny Rooster
12-21-2017, 21:46
If you have to ask you probably should bring them.

AllDownhillFromHere
12-21-2017, 22:40
Just print the halfmile maps. Done.

scrabbler
12-21-2017, 23:09
If you dont even understand whether you need a map or not you shouldnt be hiking.

El JP
12-22-2017, 04:30
Like a few above i'm using the National Geographic map books.

I'm having them mailed to me and am switching out at resupply spots. I really like maps and though things can be done via phone i would prefer to keep battery usage to an absolute minimum. In planning for the next day, the map will help me get an idea about the hike and let me see about certain terrain features and changes which will have to be dealt with and also note spots to use as waypoints along the way. To be able to plot things out in emergency situations is a big bonus

It's a fact that you can do the AT without a map, but to me at least it's nice to be able to picture what's ahead rather than hearing a hazy description or so of at a shelter.

swjohnsey
12-22-2017, 08:28
You don't need maps. A guide is sufficient.

Turtle-2013
12-22-2017, 09:06
If you dont even understand whether you need a map or not you shouldnt be hiking.
While that might be true in many places, and possibly even some stretches along the AT ... it is a rather HARSH statement that reflects little understanding when it comes to hiking on the AT. I like maps, I use maps, I often bring maps, I taught my daughter how to use a map ... but on MOST of the AT while a map might be useful, it is clearly un-necessary ...

As swjonhsey said it "You don't need maps. A guide is sufficient." ... with the understanding that there might be a few sections that it is HIGHLY advised because of the confusing of cross-trails and fewer trail signs. I will actually go far as to say that in a few sections even the trail guide is only to help you know the minor things that are coming next, since there are so many signs that will keep you on the path and keep you informed about how far it is to the next major landmarks.

My best advise is to bring a map if the section looks confusing, or if you like to have a map for general information, or if you just like maps, or if you pack is too light, or if you want one for any other reason. But, if none of those reasons apply ... don't worry about it and have fun hiking and follow the white blazes ... the RIGHT direction ;) Happy Trails

Two more miles
12-22-2017, 11:37
Thanks,
Matt

To me maps are one of those things like a first aid kit. 99% of the time you don't need it but when you do bad things can happen if you don't have it. Never trust a cell or GPS. I have even had compasses fail.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2017, 11:40
very foolish to hike without maps

tiptoe
12-22-2017, 11:55
I just really like maps (even in my car). Even if most of the time I don't actually need a map while hiking, I enjoy being able to identify what I see at viewpoints and to get more of a context to areas the trail passes through. I should mention also that I'm a section hiker who has almost finished the AT and a retiree, so time and miles are not the focus for me. And yes, I agree that maps are essential for the Whites, where blazes are limited and local trail names prevail.

soilman
12-22-2017, 12:12
As swjonhsey said it "You don't need maps. A guide is sufficient." ... with the understanding that there might be a few sections that it is HIGHLY advised because of the confusing of cross-trails and fewer trail signs. I will actually go far as to say that in a few sections even the trail guide is only to help you know the minor things that are coming next, since there are so many signs that will keep you on the path and keep you informed about how far it is to the next major landmarks.

Are you referring to the ATC guide books by state or the other guides like the Thru Hikers Companion or AWOL? If the later, they are pretty much useless for navigation.

Francis Sawyer
12-22-2017, 12:17
Unless you find getting lost appealing I'd bring a map.

DownEaster
12-22-2017, 12:19
Unless you find getting lost appealing I'd bring a map.
Why should someone get lost? Just follow the white blazes.

soilman
12-22-2017, 12:44
No one should get lost, but they do.

swjohnsey
12-22-2017, 12:57
Someone who can't follow white blazes and a guide book is unlikely to be helped much by maps.

KDogg
12-22-2017, 13:08
Lol...don't buy them, just wait until you start. You will find plenty of maps in the hiker boxes in GA. Nobody carries maps on a thru hike of the A.T. Get one of the paper guides and guthooks for your phone if you want. This is a very amusing thread. You just don't have to have maps for the A.T. Carrying them is an added weight and logistic issue you just don't need.

Traveler
12-22-2017, 14:16
Why should someone get lost? Just follow the white blazes.
White blazes don't really come into play finding water off the trail, just one of the many uses a map provides those who understand how to use them.

earlyriser26
12-22-2017, 14:23
Cell phones are handy devices. Want a compass? Use your phone. Want a map? Use Guthook. It all works until it doesn't. I found out two years ago on a winter day hike that almost turned into a very bad thing if I had left my paper map home. My phone was dead. I was able to find an escape route without doing something crazy like trying to bushwhack out.

Turtle-2013
12-22-2017, 18:06
Are you referring to the ATC guide books by state or the other guides like the Thru Hikers Companion or AWOL? If the later, they are pretty much useless for navigation.
As you saw I was quoting swjohnsey ... but ... as to the guide books I have multiple versions of every ATC guide books, I have as well ATC maps for the entire length of the AT, often several versions dating from the early 1980's. I KNOW how to navigate, I know how to read maps ... BUT, the AT isn't about navigation MOST of the time, any more than getting on I-81 and driving from Abington, VA to Winchester, VA is navigation. While there are a handful of sections of the AT that SOME navigational skills are useful, MOST of the hikers on the AT, follow the blazes, and the signs, and RARELY do they have any difficulties. AND, most of them that do, wouldn't know what to do with a map anyway. SO, while I like the full text of the ATC guide books, often the Data book is more than enough information, ditto with the AWOL guides. Really, the guidebooks are about way-points, not navigation. They help plan stops, and water, and camping/shelters, etc. Please Note: I'm ONLY talking about the AT ... none of the other places I have hiked (mostly out west) would I venture without maps and my navigational skills. But, people don't need super maps skill, or even advanced maps skills to do well on the AT ... as evidenced by the majority of AT section and thru hikers.

Del Q
12-23-2017, 09:27
In 2000 miles my experience is they are not worth the weight. I make copies of whatever book, use the reverse side for small bit of journaling. Honestly, where I have needed guidance is in some of the towns such as Port Clinton, Pa. In the early days I carried maps, enjoyed looking at them but most time in the woods was not sure where I was anyway, just kept following the white blazes. One simple trick that helped me is if not sure that I am still on the AT, turn around, often there was a blaze on a tree close by going in the opposite direction.

D2maine
12-23-2017, 13:19
Cell phones are handy devices. Want a compass? Use your phone. Want a map? Use Guthook. It all works until it doesn't. I found out two years ago on a winter day hike that almost turned into a very bad thing if I had left my paper map home. My phone was dead. I was able to find an escape route without doing something crazy like trying to bushwhack out.

winter day hike...this thread is referring to the AT in season...no you done NEED a map, the AT a hiking superhighway in a very thin veneer of "wilderness", but feel free free to carry one, its your pack.

unfortunately those most likely to need a map on the AT are the ones most likely not to know how to use one. i see it all the time with things like "carry a compass" but no idea how to use one at all. tools do a person no good whatsoever if they don't know how to use them.

one-eyed guy
12-24-2017, 21:59
I am a "always have paper maps" kind of guy, probably because I am a retired GI. Old school habits and all, but Maps, without the training and experience to use them, are expensive toilet paper. I have seen too many 2nd LTs with a map and compass that couldn't find their way out of a paper bag.

RangerZ
12-25-2017, 09:51
I am a "always have paper maps" kind of guy, probably because I am a retired GI. Old school habits and all, but Maps, without the training and experience to use them, are expensive toilet paper. I have seen too many 2nd LTs with a map and compass that couldn't find their way out of a paper bag.

What’s the most dangerous weapon in the US Army?

Lone Wolf
12-25-2017, 09:57

in the Marine Corps it's a Marine and his rifle

egilbe
12-25-2017, 11:02

Its hazardous. 2nd Lt with a map or an E-5 with a compass

Highland Goat
12-26-2017, 10:25
To summarize the above four pages: ‘People who hike differently from me are stupid.’