PDA

View Full Version : Is this gonna cause a problem

wordstew
12-18-2017, 11:09
Here's the situation....
A good chance I talked the wife into starting the AT with me. However, I quite sure she will be along for a couple weeks then I'll be solo for the duration.

Now here's the potential issue that maybe a few folks with some time on the AT can weigh in on.

We are bringing a double sized pad which seems to work for us much better than trying to connect two pads. After she decides she wants to escape back to civilization I will be out there with a double sized pad...
I don't mind lugging it I actually appreciate the extra real estate. Now if I want to intermittently stay in a shelter are people gonna get irritated that I am taking up too much space as a solo hiker with a double sized pad or is there usually enough personal space in the shelter to comfortably allow for the double pad without causing a riot in the shelter.

Flounder940
12-18-2017, 11:32
Yes, people will get irritated.

Gambit McCrae
12-18-2017, 11:33
If your starting a thru at the same time most are (March), shelter space will be non existent all the way up thru Damascus, and so on. Now you may get a few nights where the shelter isn't over flowing, but the shelters will be very busy. I wouldn't say people will be irritated but I would say it would be more courteous to use a single person matt once she goes home. You could have someone mail you a single person matt a few days before she leaves, and let her take the double home with her.

Looks like the width of these double pads are ranging from 48" - 56" which is in my opinion would be taking up too much space in a shelter when others could possible use that real estate.

-All the extra energy having to blow that dude up every night
-Cramped space in shelters
-Weight

Just some points of interest when thinking of the not needed double pad.
FWIW I carry a wide long pad and feel that I have more then enough room with it.

orthofingers
12-18-2017, 11:37
Couldn't you fold it over to make it into a single (ish) pad?

DownEaster
12-18-2017, 12:29
Couldn't you fold it over to make it into a single (ish) pad?
Doesn't seem like a practical idea to me. You can't fold an inflatable pad any better than you can fold an inflatable beach ball.

soumodeler
12-18-2017, 12:34
If you start in the bubble, that pad won't go over too well unless you can fold it. That is assuming you get a spot in the shelter.

I would say just plan on tenting if you want to carry the double pad. Although getting a regular pad would be better overall as Gambit said.

chknfngrs
12-18-2017, 12:36
Yes you can underinflate a double and then fold it in half. I’d guess a crease would form and potentially deteriorate the integrity of the mat eventually. Why not plan to send it home with the wife and maildrop yourself a better suited bachelor pad?!

Deadeye
12-18-2017, 13:11
I see a bigger problem than a sleeping pad here! But if that's the extent of it, just have a single pad ready to be sent to you at her dropout point.

Tipi Walter
12-18-2017, 13:16
If you know she's gonna bail I'd start out with two single pads and just get a warm good night's sleep---for both of you. No solo backpacker wants to carry a double pad.

Oh and I hike my own hike and avoid shelters at all costs, therefore the whole discussion of a double pad on a shelter floor is irrelevant.

Venchka
12-18-2017, 13:50
Or...
She takes the double pad home with her and you pick up a single pad that you cleverly mailed to yourself at the post office or a convenient hostel.
It’s not brain surgery.
Wayne

Shrewd
12-18-2017, 13:52
Buy another pad, bud, buy another pad.

Lots of times the shelters have plenty of space. But most times the weather is crappy they’ll fill up. Certain areas also fill up just because.

If people roll up and see you taking up twice the space some will be downright angry with you. I’d be.

Think of it this way - you’re about to go on a 6 month long journey where you’ll spend several thousand dollars.

Buy another pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinb
12-18-2017, 14:03
one night in a shelter and you will probably need a single pad very shortly. Two singles is a better bet.

wordstew
12-18-2017, 14:14
Well it looks like you guys are giving me the answer I somewhat expected... I do have an Exped Duo with two independent sides so I suppose I could simply only inflate one side in tight quarters or simply open the wallet and buy a couple decent single mats and send the wife home with one.

evyck da fleet
12-18-2017, 14:49
If you start in March using a double pad and it rains someone else is going to put their pad on top of half of yours. Good luck being that close to your new friend:) I’m not sure why you’d want to carry a double sized pad for5 1/2 months.

nsherry61
12-18-2017, 15:12
. . . or simply open the wallet and buy a couple decent single mats and send the wife home with one.
Or just buy one single mat and pick it up when your wife leaves the trail, sending her home with the double. Or, suffer with the double for a few days until your wife can buy and send you a single mat for the rest of the trip.

tawa
12-18-2017, 16:37
Sure it will be a problem----come on man!!
Ask yourself---if you hiked all day in a cold rain only to get to shelter and be told it was full and you see some dude taking up twice the amount of space as everyone else---how would you feel?

wordstew
12-18-2017, 16:44
Sure it will be a problem----come on man!!
Ask yourself---if you hiked all day in a cold rain only to get to shelter and be told it was full and you see some dude taking up twice the amount of space as everyone else---how would you feel?

I hear you buddy..... just didn't realize that the quarters would be that close even when full. You guys probably saved me from a Mexican knife fight at the shelter.

Gambit McCrae
12-18-2017, 17:10
I hear you buddy..... just didn't realize that the quarters would be that close even when full. You guys probably saved me from a Mexican knife fight at the shelter.

You are going to be should to shoulder in the shelters when you start.... My piece of advice? Find a tent you really really like :)

Shrewd
12-18-2017, 17:27
I’ve seen some pretty packed shelters.

I noticed they were usually full in the beginning, then most ppl stick to their tents, and then near the end a lot of people I chatted with kinda stopped caring and would use the shelter again cause it’s easier.

I hung my hammock every night and confess I was somewhat envious of their ease of pack up in the morning

Deadeye
12-18-2017, 18:27
I hung my hammock every night and confess I was somewhat envious of their ease of pack up in the morning

maybe, but I don't envy their sore tired bones! Whenever I get so lazy that I sleep in the shelter, I wake up regretting it.

KCNC
12-18-2017, 18:40
If you use a double pad in a full shelter I'll wager that it develops some severe leaks overnight.

wordstew
12-18-2017, 18:52
If you use a double pad in a full shelter I'll wager that it develops some severe leaks overnight.

Ahh! shelter justice I get it

wordstew
12-18-2017, 18:53

Ahh! shelter justice I get it

Shrewd
12-18-2017, 19:41
maybe, but I don't envy their sore tired bones! Whenever I get so lazy that I sleep in the shelter, I wake up regretting it.

Oh yeah I don’t regret the hammock.

There were mornings where it would be cold or rainy and I’d look around at people picking up and say Nah, and roll over and sleep another hour

egilbe
12-18-2017, 19:59
You know, someone sleeping on something like a Z-lite or Ridgerest may appreciate sleeping on one half of a double pad thats inflated a night or two, if you are willing to offer it up

Slo-go'en
12-18-2017, 21:01
A double pad implies a double bag, which is okay for a weekend camping trip in the summer. I would argue you'd both be better off with individual bags and pads to start with.

colorado_rob
12-18-2017, 21:44
Double pads are awesome for couples, I cannot believe how long my wife and I waited to finally go this route. BUT, our pad has two air chambers, are you saying yours does not? If you do, you could easily just inflate one side then fold the uninflated side under.... never actually needed to do this myself, but I'm sure it would work.

Single bags work just fine on a double pad, the double pad in no way implies a double bag. But, we do use one of those as well, we now sleep as well as ever on the trail.

One side issue on having a double BAG however... when you stay in a hostel with separated twin sized bunks and only have one (double sized) bag, that is a bit of a problem. We ran into this a few times, we either both slept on one twin bunk (crowded!) or my wife used the quilt and I did without.

Francis Sawyer
12-22-2017, 12:24
You'll wind up ditching the big pad to save weight.

jj dont play
12-22-2017, 12:31
Just invite anyone that complains to sleep on the pad with you [emoji2]

AlamoHiker
12-22-2017, 13:12
Offer to share your pad in the shelter and make some new friends.

wordstew
12-22-2017, 13:30
Just invite anyone that complains to sleep on the pad with you [emoji2]

If it gets cold enough I just might be inclined to do that

Heliotrope
12-23-2017, 01:02
Offer to share your pad in the shelter and make some new friends.

Haha! Friends with benefits perhaps ;)

shelb
12-23-2017, 22:46

You, clearly, are a fast learner! Cheers!

LIhikers
12-24-2017, 08:15
My wife and I almost always do our hiking together.
Separate pads and sleeping bags and we both get a better night's sleep

Tipi Walter
12-24-2017, 10:18
My wife and I almost always do our hiking together.
Separate pads and sleeping bags and we both get a better night's sleep

We go a step further and have found separate tents work better for us---She doesn't have to hear me snoring or wake up every time I toss and turn---she can get up at 2am to read with her headlamp---I can get up at 5am and cook up a pot of hot tea. The separate shelter system works great. And there's one thing I've learned about backpacking couples---Each one needs their alone time in the woods. It's vital.

Little Mitten with her Akto tent.

Comfortably ensconced and sufficiently sequestered in her own personal shelter . . .

Using her Mt Hardwear Light Wedge on Bald River.

Little Mitten on Whiggs Meadow.