PDA

View Full Version : Guys using runners tights

wordstew
12-18-2017, 15:32
Was on the AT SNP early Oct. Thought it would be a lot colder luckily I brought a pair of shorts that I essentially wore the entire time and never used my hiking Pants.

No onto Georgia in early March I am considering runners tights and shorts I'm curious any guys out there wearing tights and are you wearing lightweight ones just to cut the wind or are you wearing the fleece lined ones for colder temps. curious about how they function in the rain and about overheating or getting too chilly wearing them. Please chime in

nsherry61
12-18-2017, 16:09
I've never been to Georgia in March, but I use thermo-fleece cycling tights extensively (the kind without the pad) for all kinds of weather from about 50 - 20 degrees. The thin tech-fleece tights are great at not being too warm in the 50s and 60s while being warm enough down to a bit below freezing. I highly recommend them for hiking, snowshoeing and skiing as well as cycling.

I have never found the lighter running or cycling tights to be of much use for warmth.

wordstew
12-18-2017, 16:34
I've never been to Georgia in March, but I use thermo-fleece cycling tights extensively (the kind without the pad) for all kinds of weather from about 50 - 20 degrees. The thin tech-fleece tights are great at not being too warm in the 50s and 60s while being warm enough down to a bit below freezing. I highly recommend them for hiking, snowshoeing and skiing as well as cycling.

I have never found the lighter running or cycling tights to be of much use for warmth.

can you recommend a particular brand

devoidapop
12-18-2017, 16:38

can you recommend a particular brand

I bought a brand called 4U cycling on Amazon. They are Asian sizes so at 6'1 I had to buy 4XL. I love them for cold hiking or as camp pants.

nsherry61
12-18-2017, 16:48
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi tights and a pair of Specialized brand tights. Both are great. So no, just buy a pair that fit you well from a reputable manufacturer.

. . . a good pair of similar weight fleece running tights would probably be similar, I've just never tried any fleece designed specifically for running.

JPritch
12-18-2017, 17:04
Not all "tights" are created equally. The stuff from your major brands...Nike, Reebok, UA...are basically just glorified undergarments, provide some wicking, but little in the way of true "compression". Then you have your true compression gear...stuff from 2XU, CW-X, etc... There is a big difference in the amount of support you get from the real stuff vs the underwear. You just gotta find out what level of compression/support you want to get from your tights. Now the problem I've had with all of the above, is bad chafing in the groin from poorly placed seams. I now go with loose fitting athletic boxer briefs, or nothing at all, which I now prefer for anything long distance or repeated day after day hiking. ;-)

Gambit McCrae
12-18-2017, 17:09
In the winter I use smartwool runners leggings extensively along the AT. I like them bc they are not restrictive like pants, and I can use them during the day walking, and around camp as well as sleeping for insulation. I have 2 pair 1 pair is for early fall, and a heavier pair for when it is in the 20's. I wear running shorts on top of them

Dogwood
12-18-2017, 17:10
Was on the AT SNP early Oct. Thought it would be a lot colder luckily I brought a pair of shorts that I essentially wore the entire time and never used my hiking Pants.

No onto Georgia in early March I am considering runners tights and shorts I'm curious any guys out there wearing tights and are you wearing lightweight ones just to cut the wind or are you wearing the fleece lined ones for colder temps. curious about how they function in the rain and about overheating or getting too chilly wearing them. Please chime inOnly now use them for done in a day pursuits like cool/colder fair weather summit bids and day runs. In the context of multi day/multi wk backpacking trips for my bottom half I've found greater versatility in mix and matching convertibles, loose fitting short nylon running shorts, long thermal bottoms(compression, synthetic, merino, or otherwise), and a rain skirt(MLD cuben) or very light wt/UL rain pants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dogwood
12-18-2017, 17:16
Only now use them for done in a day pursuits like cool/colder fair weather summit bids and day runs. In the context of multi day/multi wk backpacking trips for my bottom half I've found greater versatility in mix and matching convertibles, loose fitting short nylon running shorts, long thermal bottoms(compression, synthetic, merino, or otherwise), and a rain skirt(MLD cuben) or very light wt/UL rain pants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using TapatalkOhh, might also throw into the mix Zensa calf/shin compression wear.

FWIW, if wearing tights(3/4)for an early March AT hike what are your plans if encountering snow of 5+ "? Gonna have gaiters if doing a low cut trail runner?

JC13
12-18-2017, 19:14
Under Armour Men's ColdGear Armour Elements Leggings

egilbe
12-18-2017, 20:26
I use OR Winter running tights. If its below 0 I’ll add some Patagucci Cap 2 bottoms and if the wind is howling, Rain pants. What i’m looking to add to that is something like the Swix insulated shorts to keep my groin warm. I’ve found some parts can get kinda chilly and I’ve caught some young women staring, in either awe or horror, I can’t tell. So yeah, shorts are needed in tights.

DrL
12-18-2017, 20:37
I like the short/tight combo. Patagonia Capilene Lightweights have been good enough for recent temps. Granted I've done more running than hiking... YMMV.

evyck da fleet
12-18-2017, 21:45
I went with a shorts/tights combo for the cold. If I thought it was going to rain I wore rain pants. Everything gets wet if it rains long enough and I had the tights for camp. Since then I’ve picked up some merino bottoms. I like the wool better but both work fine.

Dogwood
12-18-2017, 21:52
I use OR Winter running tights. If its below 0 I’ll add some Patagucci Cap 2 bottoms and if the wind is howling, Rain pants. What i’m looking to add to that is something like the Swix insulated shorts to keep my groin warm. I’ve found some parts can get kinda chilly and I’ve caught some young women staring, in either awe or horror, I can’t tell. So yeah, shorts are needed in tights.New User Name...Hot Tub, Ice Box, Peanut Little...?

Uncle Joe
12-18-2017, 21:56
This....had to be done!

https://youtu.be/G59JnM4JKNQ

gbolt
12-18-2017, 22:30
In the winter I use smartwool runners leggings extensively along the AT. I like them bc they are not restrictive like pants, and I can use them during the day walking, and around camp as well as sleeping for insulation. I have 2 pair 1 pair is for early fall, and a heavier pair for when it is in the 20's. I wear running shorts on top of them
+1 I decided to go as cheap as possible in case I didn’t like them. After reading reviews and waiting for a cheap price I purchase Smartdoo Men’s Leggings: https://www.amazon.com/Smartdoo-Compression-BaseLayer-Leggings-Sports/dp/B01A6TZMO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513650154&sr=8-1&keywords=smartdoo+mens+compression+pants

I have prepped with them getting ready for a Mid March Start. I am now taking them to wear under shorts when on the trail. My only issue is that they have now pockets for gloves, headgear or other items. Pants still have that going for them.

KDogg
12-19-2017, 02:04
Not technically tights but I wore shorts with capilene thermals. When it was really cold I was wearing two pairs of the capilene.

Tipi Walter
12-19-2017, 10:18
Not technically tights but I wore shorts with capilene thermals. When it was really cold I was wearing two pairs of the capilene.

"Tights" is a strange word for thermal bottoms or merino leggings etc. The word brings up ballet dancers in super thin . . . uh . . . tights. I prefer the word "leggings".

I started out in the 1970s wearing old style blue polypropylene of differing weights---midweight or heavyweight. What's weird is that on one of my last trips I ran into a guy who was backpacking in a pair of his 1970s polypro he had stored in his house all these years. Even got a pic--

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2017-Trips-79/21-Day-Quest-for-Citico-Creek/i-zN3LHLF/0/4a0df947/XL/Trip%20186%20%28272%29-XL.jpg
Blue polypropylene---We all started out with this stuff and I remember all the pairs I used to have. They stunk to high heaven and melted in laundry mat dryers. It's good to see a vintage pair from the 1970s out on the trail in 2017.

Beyond all this, I evolved to merino leggings in the last 20 years and it's all I use now---Icebreaker 260 weight being the preferred winter weight.

blw2
12-19-2017, 22:51
I call them long johns

TX Aggie
12-19-2017, 23:40
I use runner’s tights/leggings when running in the winter and they’re quite effective. A few people mentioned Under Armour as well as Compression tights, these are two totally different things. If you’re looking for warmth, you want ColdGear Base layers.

Also, if looking into these, check the weight. Many brands have multiple thicknesses, US goes from 1 (the lightest) to 4 (the thickest). When hiking, I tend to like the 1 or 2 on my legs if temps are under 30.

Compression gear is specifically for muscle stamina and/or recovery. Some do provide warmth, but that’s not their primary function, in fact a high compression legging can actually hinder circulation in low temperature/low activity situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highland Goat
12-20-2017, 07:00
During cold weather I wear a pair of wool tights under my kilt. My set is made by Icebreaker and marketed as leggings.

wordstew
12-20-2017, 08:13
I use runner’s tights/leggings when running in the winter and they’re quite effective. A few people mentioned Under Armour as well as Compression tights, these are two totally different things. If you’re looking for warmth, you want ColdGear Base layers.

Also, if looking into these, check the weight. Many brands have multiple thicknesses, US goes from 1 (the lightest) to 4 (the thickest). When hiking, I tend to like the 1 or 2 on my legs if temps are under 30.

Compression gear is specifically for muscle stamina and/or recovery. Some do provide warmth, but that’s not their primary function, in fact a high compression legging can actually hinder circulation in low temperature/low activity situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the specific input

MtDoraDave
12-20-2017, 08:24
I use the Target C9 Power Core "tights" as a base layer below about 40 degrees. They have a very very light fleece-like texture inside. I bought them on a whim, needing some sort of base layer, and they have worked out well for a few years now.
I still wear zip-off shorts/pants to hike in because I like the cargo pockets for snacks/ guide/ phone(camera).

cneill13
12-20-2017, 10:15
Men in tights? Wasn't that the name of a movie.

Not only will you look incredibly "cute" in your tights, but you will likely also get a very memorable trail name.

wordstew
12-21-2017, 12:22
I bought a brand called 4U cycling on Amazon. They are Asian sizes so at 6'1 I had to buy 4XL. I love them for cold hiking or as camp pants.

Got a pair of the 4U pants and seem to be just the ticket and a good deal for 20 bucks... probably gonna also pick up a decent pair of light compression tights as well

JEBjr
12-21-2017, 12:56
I have some Balaef legging that I found on Amazon. Sizing is a little odd but they work for me.

JJ505
12-21-2017, 17:44
Men in tights? Wasn't that the name of a movie.

Not only will you look incredibly "cute" in your tights, but you will likely also get a very memorable trail name.

We're men, we're men in tights.
We may look like sissies, but watch what you say or else we'll put out your lights!

:D

juma
12-21-2017, 22:09
tights, thermals, long johns, whatever plus shorts are the PCT uniform. really cold, wear two. I prefer kmart brand swimsuits and long johns.