PDA

View Full Version : Exped Customer Service, two thumbs up!

egilbe
12-18-2017, 20:18
I finally requested an RMA to get my Synmat Hyperlight Duo repaired. On the RMA, they suggested including some local delicacy, snack, chocolate or beer. I thought it was kinda funny to request a bribe, so I included a bottle of Long Trail Ale and a can of Zombie Bunny IPA. The RMA suggested it would take 30 days to get the pad back. It took 10 days, including shipping and they included an inflatable pillow and repair kit, with their thanks for the beer.

I love free stuff! They even found the two pinholes I couldn't locate and patched them.

Gambit McCrae
12-19-2017, 09:00
I have always had excellent CS from Exped...I use their synmat 7 and an older version was known to be having some baffle issues. I blew 3 baffles over about a 1.5 year time. They were always great to work with and that is why I stuck it out with them until they fixed the issue.
Great story, great company.

Tipi Walter
12-19-2017, 10:07
I took an $199.00 Exped Downmat out on a couple winter trips and then had a baffle blow on Day 1 of a 19 day winter trip into the Snowbird wilderness in NC. Was I steamed? Yes---had to detour 12 miles on foot to pick up an emergency thermarest cache at one of the trailheads in the area (before the trip). Exped fell outside my Circle of Trust.

I got home and did the whole Exped email thing and yes they sent me a brand new Downmat just by sending them a pic of my blown baffle and the stock # on the old pad. Great.

Problem is, will I ever take out an Exped downmat on another trip? No way. Just because a company has a great warranty does not mean you can trust their product in the field. A superb warranty means nothing in the field.

nsherry61
12-19-2017, 10:15
. . . detour 12 miles on foot to pick up an emergency thermarest cache . . .
A thermarest cache, really?!

Tipi, once again, you put a smile on my face.

Tipi Walter
12-19-2017, 10:35
A thermarest cache, really?!

Tipi, once again, you put a smile on my face.

For many years I had thermarest caches in whatever area I was shuttled to for a long trip. When I got dropped off at some trailhead I'd carry in an extra carefully wrapped sleeping pad to be retrieved in an emergency, i.e. Exped.

Here's a typical emergency thermarest at a trailhead and carried up into the woods to be buried under leaves by a rock face etc.

Here's another Thermarest I had cached and picked up at the end of a trip.

It's a good system until a black bear discovers one of them in the woods. Oops.

Black Bear 2 Thermarest 0.

There are various alternatives to leaving an emergency cache---Take two inflatables and use together and if one dies the other LIVES!

My current solution and alternative to an emergency thermarest cache is to pack the smallest NeoAir made as a backup if my inflatable dies. I also bring as part of my standard load a Ridgerest Solar pad at 3.5R---so if my comfy inflatable dies I have the NeoAir for comfort with the ccf pad on top for warmth.

In what way can your standard backpacking sleeping pad die? See this pic.

Or the Exped blown baffle, sob.

Bansko
12-19-2017, 11:17
I have nothing but good things to say about Exped. A Synmat UL7 used almost 5 months on the trail never had a leak or baffle issue (full disclosure - I always put a 1/8 inch foam pad under it). The storage bag was made cheaply though, and started falling apart halfway through. They promptly sent me a new one, no questions asked, and I didn't have to send the old one in.

TNhiker
12-19-2017, 12:04
Problem is, will I ever take out an Exped downmat on another trip? No way. Just because a company has a great warranty does not mean you can trust their product in the field

but, any piece of gear/equipment/whatever has the potential to fail out in the field.....

Tipi Walter
12-19-2017, 12:17
but, any piece of gear/equipment/whatever has the potential to fail out in the field.....

But the exped was practically brand new and blew its gasket on Day 1 of a trip. Not even Asolo boots or a Thermarest inflatable has such bad luck. Oh wait, let's reconsider Asolos!

Alas poor Asolo. Two year old 520s, blew out in Mt Rogers area.

3 month old Asolo Fugitives---third trip---blew out seam.

nsherry61
12-19-2017, 13:08
. . . Oh wait, let's reconsider Asolos!
Alas poor Asolo. Two year old 520s, blew out in Mt Rogers area.
3 month old Asolo Fugitives---third trip---blew out seam.
I had a pair of Vasque boots back in 1990 that were some of my first "light-weight" hiking boots. The eyelets broke out of the first and second pair in the first month I owned them. Then, the third pair had redesigned eyelets and the seam gave way right where your Asolo Fugitive seam failed. When the 4th pair failed again, along the seam where the 3rd pair failed, all within one season, I gave up warranty replacements and had a cobbler sew the seam back up for me (cost $1.25). Then I used that 4th pair for the next year or so until I wore them out.

I don't believe that Vasques, in general, are inherently poor boots or have an exceptionally high failure rate. I do believe that some of their early attempts, like many early engineering attempts, of making a light-weight, waterproof boot were released for sale before they were really adequately tested.

As my dad used to say, "Never buy the first year production of a new product. They will always have issues."

colorado_rob
12-19-2017, 13:23
Funny little story about the bribe beers! Thanks for sharing.... Being a huge "beer state", I wonder if any of the Colorado companies, like Big Agnes or Osprey have a similar policy....

We have that Exped Duo, so far so good, not sure if I bought it before or after that bonding flaw was fixed. The nice thing about the Duo is that it's redundant; if one side blows, you can always just use the other side for both of you in the torso area at least, not great comfort, but better than bare ground on the entire body.

Tipi Walter
12-19-2017, 13:26
Reminds me of a bad Vasque experience with a pair of sundowners in the 1980s. Man, I thought when I bought these babies I'd be stylin' on my backpacking trips. In 6 months the leather on top of the boot split open with a 3 inch crease rip. Used duct tape of course but useless.

martinb
12-19-2017, 15:22
The only problem is the expeds had/have a problem that occurs repeatedly. I'v had four synmat 7s blow baffles (2 originals and 2 replacements). This is a pretty high rate of failure for one piece of equipment. Exped has certainly been excellent in replacing them but it adds that uncertainty to any trip plans.