PDA

View Full Version : Do the neighbors think you wierd for camping in the back yard...the kids excuse

wordstew
12-20-2017, 13:11
So I like to experiment and test out my new equipment...sometimes I just set it up in the backyard for an overnighter. So here it is my new hammock and quilt, I set it up out back and now my neighbors are on their back porch peeking over to see what's going on. I'm sure they look at it as somewhat strange since I don't have kids as an excuse to go outside and play.

But here's the kicker.... Neighbors kids come over they want to try out the Hammock... few days later neighbors ask to borrow a tent and or hammock so the kiddos can sleep out back and of course the parents plan to be out there with them for supervision

Isn't life funny

Hikes in Rain
12-20-2017, 14:08
If they do think I'm weird, they know better than to mention it. ;)

Billy Goat
12-20-2017, 14:09
We had our hammocks strung up on turtledogs in the backyard. Neighbors granddaughter wanted to check it out. They didn't ask to borrow equipment but they thought it was pretty neat. As far as lending equipment to kids, I would have to say no. My kids are hard enough on gear and if I didn't know them VERY well, I couldn't trust them to handle my expensive outdoor gear with the respect and restraint it requires. They sell tents at Walmart for 40 or 50 bucks the kids would be fine in. Let them tear that stuff up.

Cheers,
The Goat

wordstew
12-20-2017, 14:10
If they do think I'm weird, they know better than to mention it. ;)

I like your style

skater
12-20-2017, 14:12
Yes, they think I am weird. Fortunately, I don't care.

SoaknWet
12-20-2017, 14:25
If it were possible I strongly believe my neighbors would have me committed! They can't see the fun in an old gizer sleeping outside when there's snow on the ground. Can't use the wife excuse, I'm single!

Coffee
12-20-2017, 14:28
Not sure about the backyard but I've had some weird looks pitching my zPacks shelter in the local park. It looks like a cheap tarp from a distance and it was dusk...

eabyrd1506
12-20-2017, 14:28
They think me odd yes, but backyard camping is only part of the reason. Walking the dog with a fully loaded pack and stopping at the park to heat tea with an alcohol stove probably contributed more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
12-20-2017, 14:59
One year prepping for a section hike I would go out at lunch with a daypack full of bricks. There were a couple old timer contractors replacing porches on an apartment. We would say Hi walking by and after a week or so one of them asked me what I was carrying in the pack, I told them it was full of bricks. They didn't believe me so I carefully pulled off the pack and acted like it didn't weigh much and handed it to one of them. It quickly went to ground when he tried to grab it. I opened it up and showed them the bricks. They couldn't believe that I was carrying bricks to get ready for vacation.

tawa
12-20-2017, 15:52
What others think of me is none of my damn business!!
Its my life so I live it as I see fit!

tiptoe
12-20-2017, 16:10
Well, my neighbors have watched me split wood, pull invasive weeds, hand-pollinate pawpaws, and snowshoe dog-walking paths, so hammocks and tents are just another "thing."

Scars
12-20-2017, 16:39
So I like to experiment and test out my new equipment...sometimes I just set it up in the backyard for an overnighter. So here it is my new hammock and quilt, I set it up out back and now my neighbors are on their back porch peeking over to see what's going on. I'm sure they look at it as somewhat strange since I don't have kids as an excuse to go outside and play.

But here's the kicker.... Neighbors kids come over they want to try out the Hammock... few days later neighbors ask to borrow a tent and or hammock so the kiddos can sleep out back and of course the parents plan to be out there with them for supervision

Isn't life funny

In Episode 15 I draw a page from Jeff Foxworthy and do a “you might be a thru-hiker if.” I think you might appreciate these quirks and others of our little community, at which point you get your sign :) Check it out, if your interested, on YouTube channel “Thru-hiking with Scars”. Cheers, Scars.

Last Call
12-20-2017, 16:55
No, but my neighbor pulling around a weighted sled is, along with riding their 4-wheeler around the yard at 2:00 a.m.......

Dogwood
12-20-2017, 18:00

Isn't life funnyWeird can be good. It can startle folks out of their cultural, regional, socio-economic, and national norms. Illiciting out of the box thinking and comfort zone expansion is how we can assist developing and inspiring others, our families, and ourselves. For one it can build tolerance. Two, it can illicit greater gratitude. Making the what once seemed weird, abnormal, or non standard an option is how we grow; it is how LD/thru hikers generally operate at some point to some degree in their "careers." In short, weirdness fully considered and possibly embraced can result in greater awareness, some might say enlightenment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

johnspenn
12-20-2017, 18:10
Yeah I've gotten some strange looks. My backyard is my "outdoor hammock lab" so I do quite a bit of testing back there.

I've also gotten some "is that guy homeless?" looks backpacking around the neighborhood lol.

DownEaster
12-20-2017, 20:18
I don't know yet. I just got my Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2, and I'm impressed with how light it is. In fact, I'm so impressed at the lightness of the tent floor that I've got materials on order to make a ground mat for the thing before I try it out in the back yard.

illabelle
12-20-2017, 21:44
Weird can be good. It can startle folks out of their cultural, regional, socio-economic, and national norms. Illiciting out of the box thinking and comfort zone expansion is how we can assist developing and inspiring others, our families, and ourselves. For one it can build tolerance. Two, it can illicit greater gratitude. Making the what once seemed weird, abnormal, or non standard an option is how we grow; it is how LD/thru hikers generally operate at some point to some degree in their "careers." In short, weirdness fully considered and possibly embraced can result in greater awareness, some might say enlightenment.

“Elicit” is a verb that means “to obtain.” It can also mean “to draw out, to extract, or to evoke.” For example, “The community advocate elicited hundreds of signatures to prevent the destruction of neighborhood landmarks.”
“Illicit” is an adjective that means “disapproved for moral reasons.” For example, “The IT department scanned all computers for illicit activity.”

Sorry, but the misuse was bothering me.
:)

wordstew
12-20-2017, 22:09
I don't know yet. I just got my Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2, and I'm impressed with how light it is. In fact, I'm so impressed at the lightness of the tent floor that I've got materials on order to make a ground mat for the thing before I try it out in the back yard.

Got the same tent I'll bet you can set it up for the first time in you back yard in 10 min or less....enjoy

jimmyjam
12-20-2017, 22:18
Yeah they probably think I'm weird, but I don't give a rats arse, I've always done my own thing without worrying about what other people think.

TX Aggie
12-20-2017, 22:57
Not sure what my neighbors think, I’m certain I don’t care.

My wife? Yeah, she thinks it’s pretty weird, especially the past couple of weeks when I’ve been testing new quilts on my hammock in freezing weather.

gunner76
12-21-2017, 00:28
I have my Secret Hammock Institute of Testing in my back yard so I can set up to 9 hammocks at one time. I test all my gear here before I use it out in the woods. Good thing as I have found issues while testing in the backyard that are easy to fix instead of being out in the woods and being miserable. It also makes for a great place to conduct afternoon hammock studies ( take a nap ).

Dogwood
12-21-2017, 00:41
“Elicit” is a verb that means “to obtain.” It can also mean “to draw out, to extract, or to evoke.” For example, “The community advocate elicited hundreds of signatures to prevent the destruction of neighborhood landmarks.”
“Illicit” is an adjective that means “disapproved for moral reasons.” For example, “The IT department scanned all computers for illicit activity.”

TU so kindly for the correction. I kinda knew I was misspelling something but got lazy(too busy) to check. ;)

Old Hiker
12-21-2017, 09:15
6' privacy fence precludes nosy neighbors from peeking over.

However, I was stopped TWICE by the HOA paid security patrol for "wandering around" the neighborhood with a fully packed backpack. I had words wit the patrol about legalities, freedom of movement in America, his lack of official standing with being able to arrest, detain, etc. etc. His attitude just rubbed me the wrong way. I was threatened with the "official" cops, to which I responded, "I dare you". Nothing.

After I called the supervisors to complain about being harassed in my own neighborhood, I was waved at by the new guards, as the old one was allegedly fired for excessive .................... excessiveness? Whatever.

Pringles
12-21-2017, 09:37
I believe I'm the "entertaining" neighbor. Tents, hammocks, kayaks, canoes... everything makes it to the yard at one point or another. I know one worries about me when I go to the woods, so she, at least, is probably happy when I'm puttering with a hammock in the yard instead of in bear country. It's kind of sweet.

TexasBob
12-21-2017, 10:10
Not yet, we just moved into a new house. Next week one night when it gets what passes for cold here I am going to try out my new quilt, then we will see what they think.

rocketsocks
12-21-2017, 10:11
Weird? No, odd yes...weird’s when you set up shop in there yard.

wordstew
12-21-2017, 10:18
Weird? No, odd yes...weird’s when you set up shop in there yard.

Weird is when you start digging latrine holes in their yard

KCNC
12-21-2017, 10:42
If it were possible I strongly believe my neighbors would have me committed! They can't see the fun in an old gizer sleeping outside when there's snow on the ground. Can't use the wife excuse, I'm single!

If anyone asks just tell them you work part-time as a freelance quality-assurance tester for outdoor equipment manufacturers. Then you go from "strange" to "expert." :banana

SoaknWet
12-21-2017, 12:03
Now I like that!!

Gambit McCrae
12-21-2017, 12:25
I don't do a whole lot of backyard stuff but for about 2 years I put on my pack Monday - Thursday and walked 8 miles after work...Im sure they thought I was practicing to be a homeless man. They probably thought it was weird that I would turn the hose on and soak my shoes before I set out down the road lol

They have however told me im crazy in conversation for using every ounce of vacation I get to walk all day every day in the woods...I think they are crazy to waist their time going to the beach but who am I to judge *Shrugs*

Deadeye
12-21-2017, 17:39

I'll bet the use of "prolly" when the writer means "probably" drives you up a wall!!

illabelle
12-21-2017, 22:26
I'll bet the use of "prolly" when the writer means "probably" drives you up a wall!!
Nah, I'm cool with that. Just didn't want Dogwood to get in trouble somewhere for eliciting something illicit. :D

Gambit McCrae
12-21-2017, 23:24
My Writing 1 teacher in college said he would only pass me if I promised to take him for writing 2 so i wouldnt tarnish his name as a proffessor lmao

TX Aggie
12-22-2017, 12:29

Prolly some, not me. I’m fixing to set up my hammock for tonight as it is.

V Eight
12-22-2017, 12:43
Not in the back yard but…
When I lived in Charlotte, NC in the middle of the “rat race” working 50/60 hrs week. With little hope of a LD hike in my near future, I would go to a nice little Park to go walk. It had a bunch of ball fields, playgrounds, a dog park and about 6 miles of wooded trails, right in the city. I used to go there with a full pack and walking sticks and walk various loops for 5/7 hours. I got a lot of strange looks from the “civilians”, but one Sunday got kind of interesting.
It was January pretty cool, breezy and misty. I thought this would be a good time to field test a new stove I made. So, there I am about 150 feet off the trail in the middle of this park, trying to boil some water for coffee. I did not see anyone go by on the trail, but apparently someone did. I’m over in my own little world out there. My stove worked as expected, so as I sat there drinking my coffee, I decided to go ahead and make a nice hot lunch as well. I had some FD meals in the pack and decided to make one of them. As I sit there zoning out as I wait for the food to be ready, I hear a very stern “Don’t Move”. Someone had called the cops about a homeless man “camping” in the park. It only took about 2 minutes to convince the cop’s that I was not home less. We had a good laugh over the whole thing. they were amazed with the alcy stove (one of Zelph’s designs). They did recommend, I stick to just walking the trail. I agreed.

V8

grubbster
12-22-2017, 13:19
Not in the back yard but…
When I lived in Charlotte, NC in the middle of the “rat race” working 50/60 hrs week. With little hope of a LD hike in my near future, I would go to a nice little Park to go walk. It had a bunch of ball fields, playgrounds, a dog park and about 6 miles of wooded trails, right in the city. I used to go there with a full pack and walking sticks and walk various loops for 5/7 hours. I got a lot of strange looks from the “civilians”, but one Sunday got kind of interesting.
It was January pretty cool, breezy and misty. I thought this would be a good time to field test a new stove I made. So, there I am about 150 feet off the trail in the middle of this park, trying to boil some water for coffee. I did not see anyone go by on the trail, but apparently someone did. I’m over in my own little world out there. My stove worked as expected, so as I sat there drinking my coffee, I decided to go ahead and make a nice hot lunch as well. I had some FD meals in the pack and decided to make one of them. As I sit there zoning out as I wait for the food to be ready, I hear a very stern “Don’t Move”. Someone had called the cops about a homeless man “camping” in the park. It only took about 2 minutes to convince the cop’s that I was not home less. We had a good laugh over the whole thing. they were amazed with the alcy stove (one of Zelph’s designs). They did recommend, I stick to just walking the trail. I agreed.

V8
Your lucky they didn't think you were cooking meth! Could have gotten real interesting.

Scars
12-23-2017, 06:00
[COLOR=#373737]“Illicit” is an adjective that means “disapproved for moral reasons.” For example, “The IT department scanned all computers for illicit activity.”[/COLOR

Not to be pedantic... :)

blw2
12-23-2017, 08:11
Is Shug on here? I often wonder this question when watching his videos on youtube. I figure his neighbors know by now..... but that guy to the uninitiated would seem pretty odd to an uptight neighbor....in his back yard hanging in his hammocks, cooking with alcohol, juggling and balancing stuff, and all while jaberjawing to a camera using strange voices and telling jokes!
And with one end of his hammock attached to the fence, that fence must get to swaying sometimes. He's funny to watch, and probably even funnier to watch the unedited process of it all.

nsherry61
12-23-2017, 20:54
Do the neighbors think you wierd for camping in the back yard...the kids excuse
THINK I'm weird? Hell, they KNOW I'm weird and expect my ridiculous behavior. Even though they don't understand and can't relate to it, they are pretty good-natured about it all.

Sandy of PA
12-23-2017, 21:05
Every time my neighbors see me with my pack on, they ask where am I hiking and when. After doing for 7 years in a row it just means spring is coming to them!

Another Kevin
12-24-2017, 14:53
The neighbours are cool with me sleeping in the back yard when I'm testing gear.

Their dogs, on the other hand, will keep me awake - they know I don't belong there, whatever the neighbours think!

LIhikers
12-24-2017, 15:42
Sometimes me and my wife sleep out in the yard but I think the neighbors are used to seeing at this point.
We're not testing new gear usually, it's just that we want to be outside but can't get away to the woods

lesliedgray
12-27-2017, 12:02
I don't do a whole lot of backyard stuff but for about 2 years I put on my pack Monday - Thursday and walked 8 miles after work...Im sure they thought I was practicing to be a homeless man. They probably thought it was weird that I would turn the hose on and soak my shoes before I set out down the road lol

They have however told me im crazy in conversation for using every ounce of vacation I get to walk all day every day in the woods...I think they are crazy to waist their time going to the beach but who am I to judge *Shrugs*

Lol. After i got my new Osprey pack for Christmas last year, i loaded and went on a long walk around my area... i must've looked a bit scruffy, because some guy pulled to the side of the road as i was skirting a field and held out some folded money.. i don't know if he thought i was a homeless waif or if he thought i'd be gullible enough to approach his vehicle... Either way, i SKEDADDLED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QiWiz
12-27-2017, 13:17
My neighbors know I'm weird anyway. Camping out in backyard in winter to test gear is only the beginning. It's more fun to have an interesting neighbor than a boring one IMO.

Leo L.
12-27-2017, 14:55
My neighbors know I'm weird anyway. Camping out in backyard in winter to test gear is only the beginning...

Same here.
Most of the time the neighbours will not know that I'm sleeping out in winter, as I setup camp in the dark and will be gone around dawn.
Can't sleep out in the warmer seasons, as we have a terrible slug infestion. Usually I sleep on the backside veranda instead.
For me, this is a little about gear testing, but more so about getting a little bit of an outdoor feeling during stressful work-weeks.

And we do make campfires in the front yard on a regular basis, where many a neighbour will join us for a beer.

Knee Jerk
01-06-2018, 18:48
My neighbors don't care - but my wife and kids think I'm weird.

TwoSpirits
01-06-2018, 19:02
I'm jealous of everyone, weird or not, who have been able to get outside and test out their gear and themselves this winter so far. I've been down & out with the flu, and just WISHING I could get out to the backyard. My neighbors could think I'm the Queen of Weird for all I would care! (My family already does, so I have experience.)

RangerZ
01-06-2018, 19:10
I know they look at me strange when I set up in my driveway pre and post hikes.

I before E except after C, now that’s weird.

TX Aggie
01-06-2018, 21:44
Camping outside is probably the least weird thing they think I do.

rocketsocks
01-07-2018, 00:14
Truth be told, I think my neighbors are weird.

staugy
01-08-2018, 12:00
too funny hike on