PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to know if this was a good price?

Ethesis
12-22-2017, 21:36
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zpacks-bear-bag-kit

no affiliate links. Just curious.

Thanks.

KDogg
12-22-2017, 22:05
Z-packs has a website. I'll bet if you went there you could even find out what the retail price is.

Venchka
12-22-2017, 22:25
A Geezer has to ask:
A Cuben sack offers no more protection than a nylon stuff sack and a small trash bag for substantially less money.
What am I missing?
Wayne

Deacon
12-22-2017, 22:32
A Geezer has to ask:
A Cuben sack offers no more protection than a nylon stuff sack and a small trash bag for substantially less money.
What am I missing?
Wayne

Waterproofness. The Cuben sack is 100% waterproof, the nylon sack is not. No other reason otherwise though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Venchka
12-22-2017, 22:50
Waterproofness. The Cuben sack is 100% waterproof, the nylon sack is not. No other reason otherwise though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My food is in Ziplock bags. The trash bag lining the stuff sack is waterproof.
The 10 & 15 liter dry sacks I own are waterproof and so are the Ziplock bags and trash bag lining them.
Like I said, “What am I missing?”
Wayne

gbolt
12-22-2017, 23:30
The price is at a slight savings, but make sure you add in shipping. Visit the website and price it out to see how much you could save. It looks like the newest version that folds and clips on top rather than an older roll and fold to the side. It also looks like the Carabiner may be located to get a better hang with less stress on the connection loop and Biners.

The Bear Bag System includes a CF Rock Sack, thin cord but slick enough to slide over a tree limb, and the Food bag is lightweight, water proof, with some protection against rodents chewing through it.

Like many gear choices, it is an individual decision. I have had one for Four years now, and would order it or individual replacement pieces if needed.

blw2
12-23-2017, 08:19
abrasion resistance maybe?
strength?
last longer?
I'll guess that the dyneema's strength might slow a rodent down just a bit more than a ziplock. Maybe not stop them so perhaps this is a moot point, but still...

Venchka
12-23-2017, 09:44
You pays your money and takes your choose.
Y’all have fun!
Wayne

Deadeye
12-23-2017, 10:22
My food is in Ziplock bags. The trash bag lining the stuff sack is waterproof.
The 10 & 15 liter dry sacks I own are waterproof and so are the Ziplock bags and trash bag lining them.
Like I said, “What am I missing?”
Wayne

Cool factor! Ziplocks are so 70's

globetruck
12-23-2017, 10:44
The zpacks are also more square-ish as opposed to cylindrical. The zpacks shape results in slightly more efficiently used space in my backpack particularly when fully loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
12-23-2017, 11:22
A Geezer has to ask:
What am I missing?
Wayne
weight is probably a consideration for most that get this.
your nylon sack and trash bag probably weigh more than 1.5 ounce.
And like in any hobby, many people like to buy random new stuff