PDA

View Full Version : What did you get for Christmas?

Heliotrope
12-25-2017, 17:02
Time to share your new hiking gear gifts. I picked up a few REI gift cards. [emoji320]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris_Cates
12-25-2017, 17:14
Camp shoes and gaiters.

greensleep
12-25-2017, 17:15
About 5lbs of body weight.

Maineiac64
12-25-2017, 17:26
About 5lbs of body weight.

I don’t even want to weigh myself.

DownEaster
12-25-2017, 17:30
Hillsound trail spikes

Sailor (The other one)
12-25-2017, 17:41
Four Pair of Darn Tough AT socks.

Elaikases
12-25-2017, 17:58
Gaiters did not arrive (guess they will come later). New Patagonia mid weight bottom baselayer. Some Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent.

saltysack
12-25-2017, 18:51
pneumonia and whooping cough

colorado_rob
12-25-2017, 20:24
Dive kit, finally don't have to rent anymore!

fiddlehead
12-25-2017, 20:28
cheap sox and a fanny pack (probably will never use either for hiking)
Not complaining, but they just don't understand some things.
At least she lets me go hiking whenever I want.
She used to say: "You hike for what"?

Venchka
12-25-2017, 20:34
A pseudo wannabe puffy down jacket.
A fleece pullover.
Several consecutive 20 something degree nights in my backyard. A few more are forecast in the coming week.
Merry Christmas Y’all!
Wayne

Chris_Cates
12-25-2017, 20:35
Funny, my gaiters didn't arrive yet either, should be here tomorrow. They were supposed to be delivered two weeks ago.

Hikes in Rain
12-25-2017, 20:43
ATC SW Virginia guidebook and map set (my next section!)
REI wicking Tshirt
Chef Glenn's Recipes for Adventure dehydration cookbook
A set of waterproof stuff sacks
And a bunch of other cool, but not hiking related, stuff.

Astro
12-25-2017, 21:12
cheap sox and a fanny pack (probably will never use either for hiking)
Not complaining, but they just don't understand some things.
At least she lets me go hiking whenever I want.
She used to say: "You hike for what"?

If she understands your need to hike and supports you in it, then that is worth more than any hiking gear she could have given you. :)

nsherry61
12-25-2017, 21:16
A son that decided he's going to hike the PCT starting the end of May. . . grad school can wait.

Deadeye
12-25-2017, 21:20
A rain kilt, a tenkara fly rod kit, wading staff, jerky, via, and beer!

And 6 fantastic hours with my family.

chknfngrs
12-25-2017, 21:38
$$$$. Cold hard cash to add to the gear fund

Huntmog
12-25-2017, 21:39
A 5 day backpacking pass. I have 4 kids under 7 so typically go on one or two night trips. Also got some little things, new buffs, dog pack and leash, new socks etc ... but stoked about the trip!!!

tawa
12-25-2017, 21:45
Osprey Exos pack
Vesquaz boots
gators

RangerZ
12-25-2017, 22:05
A food vacuum sealer. After 39 years of marriage we understand each other.

I bought her a chain saw for her birthday a couple of years ago.

Hatchet_1697
12-25-2017, 22:18
An ultralight hiker’s dream... a can of super ultralight dehydrated water!

Witty Yetis Dehydrated Water 16oz Can. NEW Formula! Essential Camping & Survival Supply. F... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L38SGT/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_ndBqAb...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Pastor Bryon
12-25-2017, 22:31
I will brag on my wife. In my goal to section hike the AT, I finished my first state, and passed 300 miles total. Yeah, it's only WV, but her support and thoughtfulness are amazing. Looking forward to adding more states to my office wall!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171226/695c7a6070f269ee2fda31deac5b1f68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Carl7
12-25-2017, 22:38
Deuce of Spades, blue, 30 degree Englightened Equipment Revelation quilt/850 fill

PGH1NC
12-26-2017, 00:13
A small Shutterfly book with pictures of our SNP section last summer.

Sarcasm the elf
12-26-2017, 00:25
An uncontrollably excited three year old.

LIhikers
12-26-2017, 06:27
I got exactly what I need and wanted, nothing.
It's nice to be in that position.

illabelle
12-26-2017, 07:15
I got some books about wilderness adventures/misadventures. :)

And the sky prognosticators claim we're going to get 1-3" of snow in a few days! With temps almost to single digits - brrrr!

Cheyou
12-26-2017, 07:23
Daughter graduated from college in 3.5 years . Best gift ever . Last of 7 kids.

Thom

El JP
12-26-2017, 08:06
National Geo maps, Leukotape, paracord, Therm a Rest Z seat, Sawyer mini, BRS stove, and an Amtrak reservation to Gainsville.

Slo-go'en
12-26-2017, 10:17
Another 10" of snow and lots of cookies :)

4shot
12-26-2017, 10:39
a new Tarptent and an Exped sleeping pad. Both are at the top of my preferred brand/style/"go to" gear lists. I have been getting by the last year or two with other options but it just feels better when you have your preferred gear....and I am not a gear head by any means. The Exped is a bit heavy but the comfort is well worth the extra ounces imo.

Sarcasm the elf
12-26-2017, 10:40
Another 10" of snow and lots of cookies :)
I'm starting to get real jealous of that show. I just got my car all dressed up and now it doesn't have anywhere to go!

Highland Goat
12-26-2017, 10:50
I was too careful and lost a kilo. I was be having some extra fruitcake for the next few days.
Fruitcake makes excellent trail food, especially if you make it yourself with extra nuts and brandy.

4shot
12-26-2017, 11:03
I was too careful and lost a kilo. I was be having some extra fruitcake for the next few days.
Fruitcake makes excellent trail food, especially if you make it yourself with extra nuts and brandy.

I learn something new everyday. For example, I have known since i was a small child about the existence of fruitcake. I just did not know anyone actually ate that stuff! I thought it was simply another holiday decoration that my grandma and aunts would make and set out each year around this time.;)

Highland Goat
12-26-2017, 11:25
I thought it was simply another holiday decoration that my grandma and aunts would make and set out each year around this time.;)

Fruitcake is only decorative if you buy the stuff with the sparkly green candied fruit on top. The Monks that make those used to make concrete blocks, so those fruitcakes are very structural and pack well.
I make my own, but I like lots of either chestnuts or pecans – which can damage the load-bearing ability of the fruitcake.

Stone1984
12-26-2017, 11:54
My girlfriend got me a nice new Jacket. This thing is so warm compared to my Costco Version 41299

Slo-go'en
12-26-2017, 16:43

I decided to try to make a fruitcake this year. Ended up making two. Man, that turned into one expensive project! I figure the first one cost me well over $30! A little less for the 2nd, as I had some ingredients left over from the first one. I must say, they come out tasting really good.

Goingforalittlewalk
12-26-2017, 17:41
The thought was there... a pair of thermal socks. ... feel great... but 3 times as big of the ones I'm going to take...

dwcoyote
12-26-2017, 17:54
Bearvault 450 (decided to start it on 2 and 3 day trips instead of having to hang a bag), 4 pair of Darn Tough Socks, Icebreaker Neck Gaiter, Outdoor Research Swift Cap, PolarPor Strap mount for my GoPro, Merrell Moab Edge Shoes (4 pair, my wife found them on clearance for $40 at Cabelas and they are my favorite hiking shoes), multiple sets of Lock Laces ( to switch out my regular laces on my hiking shoes), and a large laundry bag to store my sleeping bag in between trips. Pretty good Christmas.

SLMaui
12-26-2017, 18:53
Marmot Precip Rain Jacket
Titanium spork and pot
new headlamp

bigcranky
12-26-2017, 21:31
Got way too much hiking gear already. For the holiday my best gift was having my dad come down from the Philly area, first time in at least ten years as he was caring for my mom full time. My daughter is also here from Tuscaloosa, as she gets a couple of weeks off work. Very nice to have them both here, and also nice that we don't have to travel this year. (Well, I did drive up to get my dad, and I'll take him back next week, so I'm doing the 1100 mile drive twice, but it's easier by myself.)

I'm definitely at that point where I don't really need anything. I did get a new (old) fiddle this month, a ca. 1900 French instrument in terrific condition and it sounds good. That's been fun to play, and it sounds very different from my fancy Chinese fiddle.

What I would really like is some time to hike, but that doesn't look good this year.

JJ505
12-26-2017, 21:41
Smartwool vest. Very nice, would never buy myself something like that.

saltysack
12-27-2017, 00:23
MLD burn that Santa hasn’t shipped yet and a montbell ex light down anorak....

jj dont play
12-27-2017, 00:37
Myself bought myself a GG Kumo

gracebowen
12-27-2017, 00:41
I ruled out ever hiking the pct or cdt because if having to hike in the snow. On Christmas day I read 44 miles hitched or something similar to that. Stopwatch quit the trail for a week then got back on. Somehow her thought about her defining her hike for herself made me realize that while I may never thru hike those trails I could certainly section hike on them.

Venchka
12-27-2017, 01:32
I ruled out ever hiking the pct or cdt because if having to hike in the snow. On Christmas day I read 44 miles hitched or something similar to that. Stopwatch quit the trail for a week then got back on. Somehow her thought about her defining her hike for herself made me realize that while I may never thru hike those trails I could certainly section hike on them.
You can indeed. The two short sections that I have done were silly easy and gorgeous. The CDT that is.
Go for it!
Wayne

Alligator
12-27-2017, 02:09
Found this in my stocking..41307

Alligator
12-27-2017, 02:13
Found this in my stocking... 41310

Gambit McCrae
12-27-2017, 09:12
I got a new pair of Altra LP 3.5s - only thing hiking related
BUT I did get a new Casper mattress and a Samsung UHDTV for the bedroom which I am enjoying both very much

KCNC
12-27-2017, 09:47
Dive kit, finally don't have to rent anymore!

Nothing better than having your own diving gear.

In 20 years I think I've used borrowed/rented gear exactly twice. Much more relaxing to enjoy that tropical reef or wreck when you don't have to think about your equipment.
Not to mention, no fumbling on the dive boat during set-up.

Just remember to service your BC and regulator and you're good to go! (I do mine every 2 years unless it's seen heavy use, but apparently I clean and store mine much better than the average diver, so YMMV.) Can't tell you the number of people I've encountered that forget this little detail and end up with a free-flow at 80 feet (or a BC with a stuck dump valve.) Almost every time the story is "I've only had this for 4 years and it's already busted, what junk. Huh? When did I have it serviced? What do you mean?"

I have a soft weight belt and even take that (sans lead) when I travel.

KCNC
12-27-2017, 09:55
Got way too much hiking gear already. For the holiday my best gift was having my dad come down from the Philly area, first time in at least ten years as he was caring for my mom full time. My daughter is also here from Tuscaloosa, as she gets a couple of weeks off work. Very nice to have them both here, and also nice that we don't have to travel this year. (Well, I did drive up to get my dad, and I'll take him back next week, so I'm doing the 1100 mile drive twice, but it's easier by myself.)

I'm definitely at that point where I don't really need anything. I did get a new (old) fiddle this month, a ca. 1900 French instrument in terrific condition and it sounds good. That's been fun to play, and it sounds very different from my fancy Chinese fiddle.

What I would really like is some time to hike, but that doesn't look good this year.

Did you check out Amtrak? Probably not convenient from Winston, but maybe from Raleigh and definitely possible from Wilson or Rocky Mount to Philly. Could make those visits from your Dad a bit more frequent with a little less driving. Our kids went to boarding school outside of Philly, so I feel your pain.

KCNC
12-27-2017, 10:33
I got an Osprey Atmos 65AG (Santa found it on sale) and a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC (new design, also procured on sale) along with some Farm To Feet socks and assorted DIY rigging supplies for making the specific tie-outs and attachments I "need." Also got a guide book to the National Parks, which I'm looking forward to dog-earing and annotating with visit notes.

My son got a new pack (Baltoro, Santa found some really good sales this year) and a new sleeping bag, along with a Tarptents MoTrail (which will be shared when I have reason to be a ground-dweller.) He also got a good bit of cash and gift cards as well as all kinds of odds-and-ends to help with his planned 2018 Thru-Hike. (Between grad school and law school.)

If my wife's kidney transplant happens in the next few weeks (she has a living donor, just waiting for final approval and scheduling) then there is a solid chance I can catch up with my son for a week or two during his time on the trail. My big goal is rather modest, and that is to go back to Dupont State Forest in October with my wife and hike the High Falls/Triple Falls loop with her again like we did a couple of months ago as her first post-transplant hike. Here we are this past October, with her at about 15% kidney function. Looking forward to seeing how she does with a good kidney!

QuietStorm
12-27-2017, 13:38
This—a collage of hiking photos from this year. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/ac64e7e546b35eee84f46a3a080a5202.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leo L.
12-27-2017, 14:40
My main Christmas present was a gift coupon, very nicely presented:

And this is what I bought today by using the coupon:
http://www.exped.com/germany/de/product-category/zelte/venus-ii-extreme-mossgreen

Traffic Jam
12-27-2017, 17:01
This—a collage of hiking photos from this year. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/ac64e7e546b35eee84f46a3a080a5202.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very cool!

Traffic Jam
12-27-2017, 17:03

I am green with envy...can't wait to upgrade my Chinese-made fiddle.

HighlandsHiker
12-27-2017, 23:25
Looking forward to seeing how she does with a good kidney!

Best of luck to your wife, KCNC, with her upcoming surgery - hope all goes well and she has a speedy recovery. Love the "MST in a Day" shirt, I was out of the state that weekend and could not participate. Dupont and Triple Falls are fantastic - and you get to celebrate post-hike at Sierra Nevada!

bigcranky
12-28-2017, 14:55
Did you check out Amtrak? Probably not convenient from Winston, but maybe from Raleigh and definitely possible from Wilson or Rocky Mount to Philly. Could make those visits from your Dad a bit more frequent with a little less driving. Our kids went to boarding school outside of Philly, so I feel your pain.

Thanks! Yes, the Carolinian stops in Greensboro, about 30 miles east, and in Trenton, NJ, maybe 5 miles from dad's house. I've taken this train home from NYC and it's an enjoyable trip. The departure and arrival times are reasonable, too. We've talked about this with him several times, but he's not interested in the train (and he's definitely ruled out flying.) Alas. :)

bigcranky
12-28-2017, 15:05
I am green with envy...can't wait to upgrade my Chinese-made fiddle.

My Chinese fiddle is actually pretty nice, one of the higher end student fiddles (it's a Shen 800.) I bought it new in Aug '16 and it's really started sounding a lot better in the last year (might be the fiddle, might be me not sucking so much). But I've been keeping my eye out for something more interesting for a while, and found this one on Reverb, from KatP's Fiddle Shop in Knoxville -- she restores old fiddles as a sideline, and still has some that she is working on -- you might contact her through Reverb and ask. This instrument was not that expensive -- in actual cash money terms, not just "compared to other really expensive fiddles" :) I'm keeping the French fiddle in standard tuning and the Chinese fiddle cross tuned in D or A.

The quality of Chinese instruments is all over the place -- I've been blown away by the sound and build quality of some of them, especially for the prices (e.g. some really good mandos in the $1000 range), and I've also seen some pretty bad ones :( especially inexpensive guitars and, yes, fiddles.

Feral Bill
12-28-2017, 17:34
I got time with my out of town kids. Better than stuff.

Highland Goat
12-29-2017, 07:51
I decided to try to make a fruitcake this year. Ended up making two. Man, that turned into one expensive project! I figure the first one cost me well over $30! A little less for the 2nd, as I had some ingredients left over from the first one. I must say, they come out tasting really good.

Yes, it can get pricy. I only make fruitcake when the price on dried fruit and nuts align. However, I usually make at least five, since with enugh brandy the stuff lasts forever.

MtDoraDave
12-29-2017, 09:24
Hiking stuff, I got a pair of Darn Tough socks (my first two pair are showing signs of wear after 3 years), a down puffer jacket, and the National Geographic hiking book by Skurka.
...and for home use, I got a 1.5 liter stainless steel double walled french press and a 1.7 liter electric kettle (I think that was because she didn't like the stove top tea pot whistling and waking her up) . It's nice to go back for a second cup after a while and have it still be hot from the press. The old glass press was for "now" only.

JC13
12-29-2017, 23:03
Cash, a new pack, and new quilt.

jensaito
12-30-2017, 14:33
Universal Camera Lens Kit, Darn Tough Socks and AeroPress :banana

pesphoto
12-30-2017, 14:51
how about hanukah gifts? :) just ordered myself Goosefeetgear down booties...

KCNC
12-30-2017, 14:55
Best of luck to your wife, KCNC, with her upcoming surgery - hope all goes well and she has a speedy recovery. Love the "MST in a Day" shirt, I was out of the state that weekend and could not participate. Dupont and Triple Falls are fantastic - and you get to celebrate post-hike at Sierra Nevada!

Thank you, things are moving along quickly and we may be headed to surgery in just a couple of weeks. The "real" recovery takes about a year, but as other transplant recipients have counseled her - "One year to get your life back is a small price." So we're getting our minds right to be recluses; it's all about being a bit of a germaphobe for a while. We'll probably do some trips in the motorhome this summer and hopefully I can figure out a way to meet up with our son on his AT thru-hike for a section or two.

As a family we covered about 12-15 miles of the MST in a Day - there was a 1 mile section that my wife and daughter did. My son and I teamed up for 3 adjacent sections. She's never done any tent camping, but is becoming enamored with the idea of doing some backpacking in her "next" life. She's already planning some car camping trips with day hikes, so if I ease her in to things I may end up with an enthusiastic backpacking partner before it's all said and done! :D

We've got friends in AVL, so it doesn't take much to get us up there (and it never takes much to get me to a good brewery!)

KCNC
12-30-2017, 15:01
I got time with my out of town kids. Better than stuff.

We got that, too. It's great.

Our oldest is the production manager for a peach farm up north, so he's able to take a week at Christmas without much worry. :)
They left yesterday and our middle child went to spend New Year's with friends, so we're empty-nesters again for a few days.

middle to middle
12-30-2017, 16:30
I got ALEXIA think I can use it to order pizza from a shelter ?

KCNC
12-30-2017, 17:26
I got ALEXIA think I can use it to order pizza from a shelter ?

Go search Youtube for the "Trevor" video from last Christmas. Make sure your bladder is empty and you're not drinking anything.

soumodeler
12-30-2017, 18:51
Best present was the one I bought myself:

Loaded up at the Mountain Crossings 40% off sale!

rocketsocks
12-30-2017, 20:15

Loaded up at the Mountain Crossings 40% off sale!Whats with the three poo shovels? Morning, Noon and Night constitutionals.

LIhikers
12-30-2017, 21:31
Looks like there's multiples of everything

soumodeler
12-30-2017, 21:33
Whats with the three poo shovels? Morning, Noon and Night constitutionals.

:D
I have 2 separate daypacks and I get tired of moving one trowel around and sometimes forgetting it. Now I can just leave one in each pack and not have to worry about it.

soumodeler
12-30-2017, 21:37
Looks like there's multiples of everything

Pretty much, yes. I may have a gear problem...

bigcranky
12-31-2017, 09:56
Pretty much, yes. I may have a gear problem...

You can quit any time you want.

RangerZ
12-31-2017, 10:51
+1 on this. Anytime we are back together is good time. Saw my daughter and SIL at Thanksgiving, then as a surprise at retirement ceremony. My son and DIL are passing thru town today on their way back to Kokomo.

RangerZ
12-31-2017, 10:55
Sorry, that was supposed to be a reply to Feral Bill.

Tipi Walter
12-31-2017, 12:58
pneumonia and whooping cough

Wow, reminds me of a 19 day backpacking trip I pulled in February 2017 whereby I got walking pneumonia or the whooping squirts or the blue munge or the Norovirus or some such crap and had about the worse trip ever. Coughing hacking fits!!!! On many days it took me 7 hours to hike 2 miles. Here's a pic on Rocky Top Mt on the BMT---as I enter my Diseased State.

Loaded up at the Mountain Crossings 40% off sale!

Now this is a great pic!! I'm drooling into my keyboard. There's nothing much better than gearing up for a long backpacking trip and getting new gear for the trek.

What did I get for Christmas and for my next January trip??

Two pairs of Smartwool mountaineer socks---My favorite, in size medium.

Two pair of Wintersilk midweight long sleeve silk tops with mock turtleneck---my standard load baselayer on all trips.

AND BEST OF ALL---
Dan McHale finally sends me a Demo pack to try and while it's not quite the required 7,000 cubic inches I'm making it work and will hump it out on my next trip.

Here's the McHale pack after getting it loaded with some test weights---the pack is in there somewhere behind all my crap.

Here's an initial test pre-Christmas test run.

rocketsocks
12-31-2017, 15:42
:D
I have 2 separate daypacks and I get tired of moving one trowel around and sometimes forgetting it. Now I can just leave one in each pack and not have to worry about it.Not that I get, I prolly have 6 flashlights and got another for Christmas.

George
01-01-2018, 00:50
I bought her a chain saw for her birthday a couple of years ago.

just proves that romance is not dead