PDA

View Full Version : Tenkera Fishing Rod

blw2
12-26-2017, 12:21
This Tenkara fishing rod came up ion my massdrop email. I keep seeing mention of this thing from time to time as a lightweight backpacking thing. I'm fairly sure this is what I saw Dixie using in one of her PCT videos....and I've seen it in some other contexts too...

But I'm wondering...

This thing is expensive....AND it really doesn't look all that different from the Bream Buster rods I used as a kid. I of course can't find a weight spec for a bream buster in my searches since most folks that would use them wouldn't be all that concerned with weight

are these tenkara rods all that much lighter or better in some way?

Massdrop is listing the weights at 1.1 and 1.9 oz depending on the model. I find that almost hard to believe...even the rod alone but with line, spool, flys, etc..... that's unbelievable

Huntmog
12-26-2017, 12:39
My buddy brought one over the other night, not sure which model... insanely light weight but too long for me still for backpacking... it's no real, just line and tipper and fly. I used to fly fish in college a lot and it's by far the lightest rod iv ever seen.

saltysack
12-26-2017, 13:19
I plan to buy one for next trip to Sierra.....heard nothing but great things from all who have used including a friend who’s a fly fishing guide....no reel just rod etc...UL = ultra simple concept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swisscross
12-26-2017, 13:45
Many different things to consider before purchasing a setup.
Check out Tenkarabum's site and read everything.
You will be overwhelmed and will make your decision more difficult.
I wanted to purchase last year and could make my mind. I regret not taking the plunge for a trip to the winds.

Maineiac64
12-26-2017, 14:11
I considered tenkara and watched a lot of videos about it and decided to stick with my traditional 5wt rod which is only 3.4oz (not including reel/line). My rod is a 4 piece so it can break down enough to be easily strapped to my pack. The bad part is when I am going to do serious fishing and bring vest, waders, and wading boots too.

Deadeye
12-26-2017, 22:05
I got a Tenkara set-up for Christmas. Like Saltysack, I was interested in the simplicity. The whole thing, ready to fish, comes in at 3.2 ounces, the neoprene carrying sleeve adds another .5 ounce. The rod telescopes down to 18 inches. I can extend the rod and have a fly in the water in less time than it would take to put my 4 piece fly rod together. I'm planning to take it on all my New England hikes, and in my golf bag! It seems perfect for the small brook/beaver pond trout fishing I like to do. I was convinced to give it a try after watching our local PBS outdoor show do an episode on Tenkara fishing... it just looked simple and fun, and pretty effective, too.

blw2
12-28-2017, 21:08
Yeah, so the same thing as a bream buster.....but ok, so at 3.2 oz.....that's pretty light. I'm guessing the bream buster is heavier than that. Probably significantly heavier. Still, it's not like they are pounds.... and they are probably a good bit longer than the tenkara when folded....but a whole lot cheaper!!!

Maybe I'll dig mine out over the weekend and weigh it.

Anyway, I used to love fishing with thing. I agree it's a great way to fish. lots of fun.

saltysack
12-28-2017, 22:00
Yeah, so the same thing as a bream buster.....but ok, so at 3.2 oz.....that's pretty light. I'm guessing the bream buster is heavier than that. Probably significantly heavier. Still, it's not like they are pounds.... and they are probably a good bit longer than the tenkara when folded....but a whole lot cheaper!!!

Maybe I'll dig mine out over the weekend and weigh it.

Anyway, I used to love fishing with thing. I agree it's a great way to fish. lots of fun.

Not sure where your hiking but if it’s southern AT don’t bother taking a rod...just my $.02

Deadeye
12-29-2017, 13:22
BTW - I re-weighed it last night before I showed it off to my brother - it was 3.2 ounces with the neoprene sleeve, only 2.7 ounces with line & spool, I didn't even think to weigh it without the spool to get the actual "fishing" weight. Suffice it to say it's psycho-lite fishing, and I'm super-psyched for May or June, or whenever it manages to warm up in 2018. It's 6 below right now, hoping for a high of -4 today!

saltysack
12-29-2017, 13:47
BTW - I re-weighed it last night before I showed it off to my brother - it was 3.2 ounces with the neoprene sleeve, only 2.7 ounces with line & spool, I didn't even think to weigh it without the spool to get the actual "fishing" weight. Suffice it to say it's psycho-lite fishing, and I'm super-psyched for May or June, or whenever it manages to warm up in 2018. It's 6 below right now, hoping for a high of -4 today!

Which model did you go with?

Deadeye
12-29-2017, 15:55
Which model did you go with?

This one: https://www.tenkararodco.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-cascade-package

Qajaq
01-06-2018, 10:13
Most Tenkara rods weigh in around 2.0 to 3.2 oz, depending on the length and construction. Small stream rods will be in the low 2's. I take one hiking, biking, and backpacking when I have some express interest in fishing remote streams. Fishing is often my primary intent, actually. Since they are delicate, I pack them in plastic rod tube tucked in the water bottle pocket on my backpack, and secured under a strap. They are wonderful on small native trout streams, but the longer rods work well for river fishing, too. My shortest is 5' (considered an uber short specialty rod), my small stream rod (U.N.C.) is 8'6" and my longest (Sato) extends variably between 10'8", 11'10", and 12'9". Like someone else mentioned, check out Tenkarabum's website, as well as Badger Tenkara, and Tenkara USA. Daniel Galhardo (Tenkara USA) has many good video clips on rod selection, use, knots, etc.

zelph
01-06-2018, 10:36
My Tenkara weighs in at 2.0 oz. When it's not in my pack, it's under the seat of my car, always ready to go.

imscotty
01-06-2018, 15:12
I bought a Tenkara for my JMT thru, that and the camera were the two best pieces of equipment I brought with me. I had never been able to catch a fish on a fly in my life until the Tenkara. I got a short rod for use in the mountain streams, you might want a longer one if you prefer to fish the lakes.

The trout fishing in the Sierras was great.

DuneElliot
01-06-2018, 16:20
Many different things to consider before purchasing a setup.
Check out Tenkarabum's site and read everything.
You will be overwhelmed and will make your decision more difficult.
I wanted to purchase last year and could make my mind. I regret not taking the plunge for a trip to the winds.

Me too :-)

rocketsocks
01-06-2018, 16:33
If your gonna fish the creeks and streams of the East, learn to roll cast, way to many obstructions (ie;tree trout) for Tenkara in all but the largest rivers.

marilandica
01-08-2018, 12:12
A tenkara is THE rod for mountain fly fishing in the East (which is all roll casting anyway, and tenkara will give you beautiful drift and access). It will land big fish out west too, but it's the ideal back country rod for the East. Really. Incredibly light and minimalist. Don't over-think it. And for the person who called them expensive, have you shopped for fishing gear lately, especially fly fishing gear? One of tenkara's virtues is its accessible price point. The BF and I do a lot of hiking and fishing in the east and rarely bother to carry conventional fly fishing gear to the back country anymore.

blw2
01-08-2018, 22:28
I called them expensive....compared with a bream buster. I still haven't gotten a chance to weigh my old bream buster. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow.....