PDA

View Full Version : Air mattress patch kit recommendations

dcdennis
12-27-2017, 07:37
Anyone have recommendations for an aftermarket air mattress patch kit? There are so many options its difficult to determine which ones are best.

Gambit McCrae
12-27-2017, 08:53
I would only trust a patch kit in the midst of a current hike to get me by until I could either 1 - Get home from the trip or 2- replace it on my current trip. I have not had long term luck out of patched pads.

But saying that I would seek out a manufacturers repair kit. Most pads these days come with one I believe, I know exped does. Looks like REI makes one and thermarest makes a couple. REI link to the patch kits they offer (https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=pad+repair+kit&origin=web&pagesize=90&ir=q%3Apad+repair+kit&page=1)

HooKooDooKu
12-27-2017, 10:34
...I would seek out a manufacturers repair kit...
My thoughts exactly. Why trust an aftermarket patch kit if the manufacturer makes one?

Gambit McCrae
12-27-2017, 10:43
My thoughts exactly. Why trust an aftermarket patch kit if the manufacturer makes one?

If you have time to spare, you can send your pad in to them and they will most of the time repair it for you. Saves on many things including a learning curve when it will be real important that you got it right, on your next trip. Whenever I have issues with my pad they have always been manufacturer defects.

Dogwood
12-27-2017, 14:29
Anyone have recommendations for an aftermarket air mattress patch kit? There are so many options its difficult to determine which ones are best.Aquaseal UV activated in 1/4 oz tubes.

Too many pluses to list. It's meant for quickly repairing stuff like inflatable mattresses.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-aid-uv-cure-aquaseal?CMP_ID=PLA_GMm005BR&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=4452f527-6c1f-4cc8-8f60-a3b480a72508&rmatt=tsid:1042825|cid:795215208|agid:43037439524| tid:pla-292945978216|crid:189320517810|nw:s|rnd:9831784078 891008798|dvc:m|adp:1o6|mt:|loc:1015254&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pny7eeq2AIVRVcNCh2KuAA2EAYYBiAB EgI2U_D_BwE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dogwood
12-27-2017, 14:39
Anyone have recommendations for an aftermarket air mattress patch kit? There are so many options its difficult to determine which ones are best.If you have the time like at an in town overnight stop McNetts Gear Aid Seam Grip which generally is more easily found works well for cleaned inflatable pads. Works on much more too.

Seam Grip takes about 5 - 7 hrs to cure unless you also find the Cool hardener which cuts dry time. Both products dry flexible and are somewhat self leveling.

I carry a 1/4 tube of Aquaseal UV on desert hikes if I'm using an inflatable pad like a TR NeoXLite.

Dogwood
12-27-2017, 14:41
Spell checker got me. That's Cotol hardener

Leo L.
12-27-2017, 15:43
Before I started using a ground sheet, too many Thermarests got too many leaks, as in the desert every plant/shrub/tree provides some stingy stuff.
Tried many ways to repair.
Sent in the pads to Thermarest (Cascade Designs), and they repaired it nicely, but the shipping costs were quite something.
Bought several Original Thermarest repair kist, and these were complete crap. The glue never stopped being sticky, and the excess glue aroung the patch never stopped catching and sticking the sleeping bag.
Used medical tape with good results.

Finaly I used McNett Seam Sealer (the PU Version) and this is a pretty much perfect solution.
You need some stuff to clean the area of the puncture, and you need a lot of time to let it air off and harden.

So my preferred way to deal with a leaky pad is,
(1) try to find the puncture (you might need a pool of quiet water)
(2) patch the puncture with medical tape to get me trhough some more nights
(3) fix the leakage with Seam Sealer when in town
(4) I usually seal the drop of Seam Sealer with an additional patch of medical tape

Dogwood
12-27-2017, 17:46
Aquaseal UV ACTIVATED dries in minutes. I've tried Seam Sealer even Mcnett's version. It doesn't even permanently seal a pinhole puncture in a flat open material area never mind sealing a pinhole in a ribbed seam, around a nozzle, etc. Yeah, various tapes like medical, lueko, Gorilla, even duct tape might hold a couple of nights or at least slow down the deflation, but they are only temporary. R U sure you R not meaning Seam Grip not Seam Seal?

My other thought is that a tiny tube of Aquaseal UV activated for the quickest repairs or Seam Grip(better for stay put for awhile repairs) have many repair uses while Seam Seal I can't see carrying other than for seam sealing a tent, shoes, etc which IMO should be done pre hike anyway. Maybe, other uses I'm not perceiving?

Leo L.
12-28-2017, 04:15
True, the specific product is called "Seam Grip", and as a description is added "Seam Sealer & Outdoor Repair Adhesive".
Sorry for the confusion.

There would be an additive called Cotol 240 to accelerate drying time down to 2hrs, but who would carry such a full set of chemicals on a hike?
One reason why I apply an additional med tape patch atop of the Seam Grip is, that the latter tends to stick to itself (and most likely to other surfaces too) even when already dried out.

Billy Goat
12-28-2017, 14:19
I have a pad with 2 holes in it. Tenacious tape worked to hold it on my trip and it continues to hold, two years later. It's not used every night for months on end, but it has definitely held up to at least 40 nights by myself, kids, wife with no signs of degradation. I did, of course, clean it fairly well and dry it thoroughly before application.

Cheers,
The Goat

swjohnsey
12-28-2017, 14:49
Gorilla tape work gud.