PDA

View Full Version : Stoneybrook farm

greenmtnboy
12-27-2017, 10:56
http://question12tribes.com/my-accidental-sleep-over-with-a-cult/

I was wondering what the current status of this farm's connection to the A/T?

Gambit McCrae
12-27-2017, 12:32
Uhhhhh...I would say there isn't a Connection as much as possibly some hikers get sucked into the farms little pool of "Come give us free labor and in return you will learn about organic farming!!!!"

There is another organic farm up in Mass, guy has a bad reputation for getting hikers drunk and then wanting to uh...well you get the idea.

They are 6 miles by road from the trail, 3.5 miles as a crow would go.. I would say they may get some distracted hikers attention but being that close to HF I would say they get overlooked

Edit: well looks like I was wrong. They are in Guthooks and have positive reviews, about 6 reviews currently all very positive.

greenmtnboy
12-27-2017, 14:54
Uhhhhh...I would say there isn't a Connection as much as possibly some hikers get sucked into the farms little pool of "Come give us free labor and in return you will learn about organic farming!!!!"

There is another organic farm up in Mass, guy has a bad reputation for getting hikers drunk and then wanting to uh...well you get the idea.

They are 6 miles by road from the trail, 3.5 miles as a crow would go.. I would say they may get some distracted hikers attention but being that close to HF I would say they get overlooked

Edit: well looks like I was wrong. They are in Guthooks and have positive reviews, about 6 reviews currently all very positive.
What is this reluctance in the US to report on bad behavior? I saw plenty of organic farms years ago where the managers tried to get pretty college students for workers, or others where the pay was on an intern or apprentice basis. I never heard a report of sex harassment like other businesses have been hit by.

As for the so-called "Twelve Tribes" there are thousands of people that have worked for years for them that were never paid. It would be so easy for them to transition to paying workers, but they are a communist system. The re-enforcements from top down are pretty hard to fight.

Gambit McCrae
12-27-2017, 15:24
I tried to get a Hostel/ Shuttle review system started here a few years ago but the fight back seemed to be coming from the basis of :"oh well bad reviews would make hostels look bad so lets not do that." Yea no $#iT! lol

Now the above statement is not reflecting or directly replying to the kind of bad behavior we have been speaking of, just a general kabash on stating factual information that is not positive in nature is frowned upon in the trail community. Which I disagree with. A lot of folks want to feel this hunky dory trail family crap and in return have a big heart for places along the way that are dumps. The republican in me sees it as money and business, and if I gave my money to a business, and it turned out to be a dump, I would have wanted to know prior and spend my money rewarding a clean business. Slightly off topic but I see the connection lol

greenmtnboy
12-27-2017, 16:02
It looks like the "Twelve Tribes" long term objective was to open up a lot more hostels: http://question12tribes.com/hiker-blogs-about-his-stoneybrook-twelve-tribes-farm-experience/

In an increasingly tech and service economy, it is going to be hard for people to resist free stuff like the TT do. Their managers try to put on a benign front when in reality there is a lot of abuse to young and old that happens in their farms. Individuals are often too weak to maintain their strength visiting these groups. I would just advise people to read the many reports of former members who put their sweat and soul into building their system and were left high and dry when they left.