PDA

View Full Version : American Hiking Society video

SavageLlama
02-08-2006, 22:27
Interesting video about the American Hiking Society..

http://www.americanhiking.org/video.htm

Anyone here a member of this organization?

Almost There
02-08-2006, 23:04
Yes I believe there are quite a few of us. BTW Mowgli if you read this, I joined the week after the SoRuck, are we supposed to get something in the mail? If so how long will it take? Just curious, but I know you guys got the money...and it is definitely for a good cause!

SavageLlama
02-09-2006, 09:37
Good stuff. I joined last year and I think it's time to renew. It's a great deal - they give you a free subscription to Backpacker with membership.

MOWGLI
02-09-2006, 11:01
Yes I believe there are quite a few of us. BTW Mowgli if you read this, I joined the week after the SoRuck, are we supposed to get something in the mail? If so how long will it take? Just curious, but I know you guys got the money...and it is definitely for a good cause!

Thanks for joining. You should recieve something in the mail within a few weeks. You just missed the mailing of the Winter edition of American Hiker, so the first magazine will be in April. It took about 2-3 months for my Backpacker subscription to kick-in when I renewed in '04. Yes, as a Staffer, I am a member too. And one more thing. As a Staff, none of us were pleased about the recent ads for dirt bikes in Backpacker, and that concern was conveyed to the magazine editors in no uncertain terms.

The video doesn't really cover my program all that well. To give you an idea of my workload in the first half of '06, here is what I'm working on right now;

Completing a Strategic Plan for the Carolina Mountain Club
Testifying tonight in Knoxville about the North Shore Road
Yesterday I had a meeting at Kennesaw Mtn National Park with REI and NPS representatives. We're trying to build volunteerism in the park
On Sunday I head to DC to meet with Congressional Reps regarding funding for trails and the NPS. I'll be in DC all week.
Planning a meeting of the Southeastern Foot Trails Coalition in early May in Gainesville, FL. This meeting will be attended by 25+ groups including ATC.
I have a half dozen speaking engagemenets between now and the end of March including Amicalola Falls SP on 3/5 @ 12:30 PM
Leading a Strategic Planning session for the Alabama Hiking Trail Society in late March at Cheaha SP
Planning a field trip for 40+ blind & visually impaired students to hike in the Tennessee River Gorge in early April
Planning a National Trails Day event on June 3 at Chattahoochee NRA just north of ATlanta

That's a partial list anyway. I have a bunch of other stuff in the hopper including the development of a currciulumn related to hiking for PE students. I'm also helping to develop a workshop for PE teachers relating to hiking.

Your support makes this kind of work possible. You can join AHS at the following link;

http://www.americanhiking.org/join/index.html

Thanks, and happy hiking.