PDA

View Full Version : New Record Low on Mt Washington today -33 F

peakbagger
12-28-2017, 07:16
Add in the wind, 82 MPH and the wind chill is -82 F. Looks like its going to stay this way for several days. My place about 5 miles away was a balmy -13 F an hour ago.

This is not as bad as its can get, but a few weeks early, normally the lowest temps are usually late January.

Cheyou
12-28-2017, 08:10
It’s -28 in Northern Ny . Chaumont bay is ready for ice fishing

Thom

egilbe
12-28-2017, 08:21
I'm assuming the parking lots are empty at the base of the mountain :D
Hopefully not many college kids on Christmas break are trying to summit any of the Presidentials.

Puddlefish
12-28-2017, 08:30
My outdoor thermometer reads -12° F. The local NOAA station is reporting -21° F, in Lebanon, NH (which makes sense as it's in a valley and cold air falls.) Anyway, this is why I don't hike in the winter. Stay safe you winter hikers!

Sarcasm the elf
12-28-2017, 09:36

Kaptainkriz
12-28-2017, 10:59
That is mighty chilly!

Heliotrope
12-28-2017, 11:08
I think I’ll stay in CA an extra week before heading back to Maine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
12-28-2017, 11:23
It's not about how cold it is around Mt Washington, it's about how many backpackers are out in it hiking and setting up their tents.;)

nsherry61
12-28-2017, 12:02
It's not about how cold it is around Mt Washington, it's about how many backpackers are out in it hiking and setting up their tents.;)
Indeed. My son has been camping out in the back yard all week. But then, it only got down to 2 degrees here last night, not -33F.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2017, 12:02
Yep, a tad chilly and we got a week of this to go. Low of -14 at my place this morning, now -6 at 11AM. Glad I went snowshoeing yesterday afternoon when it was a balmy 4 degrees out. I think I'll stay inside today.

Willie Melt doesn't seem to mind though.

Tipi Walter
12-28-2017, 12:32
Indeed. My son has been camping out in the back yard all week. But then, it only got down to 2 degrees here last night, not -33F.

Reminds of the time I was stealth camping all around Watauga County NC (near Boone NC) and I got hit with the Arctic Outbreak of January 1985 where Boone got -28F and Grandfather Mt got -34F (Knoxville was -24F). I had really good gear and a -10F rated sleeping bag but it got to be too much so I hiked into town and slept under a pew (cowboy camping) in the town's unlocked Baptist Church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_1985_cold_wave

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/anniversary-of-the-great-cold-wave-of-january-21-1985.html

Another Kevin
12-28-2017, 15:10
Reminds of the time I was stealth camping all around Watauga County NC (near Boone NC) and I got hit with the Arctic Outbreak of January 1985 where Boone got -28F and Grandfather Mt got -34F (Knoxville was -24F). I had really good gear and a -10F rated sleeping bag but it got to be too much so I hiked into town and slept under a pew (cowboy camping) in the town's unlocked Baptist Church.
I'd heard that the hiker who passes gas in the sleeping bag sleeps in his own pew, but didn't know that referred to taking sanctuary in a sanctuary.

BillyGr
12-28-2017, 17:16
Yep, a tad chilly and we got a week of this to go. Low of -14 at my place this morning, now -6 at 11AM. Glad I went snowshoeing yesterday afternoon when it was a balmy 4 degrees out. I think I'll stay inside today.

Willie Melt doesn't seem to mind though.

I'd suspect that the answer is not anytime soon ;)

Rain Man
12-28-2017, 20:29
Y'all are making me glad that I spent the last two days in Death Valley!!!

Time Zone
12-28-2017, 20:40
I'd heard that the hiker who passes gas in the sleeping bag sleeps in his own pew, but didn't know that referred to taking sanctuary in a sanctuary.

Just think if someone had been using the church kitchen that night. Then that church would have definitely been his salivation!

(sorry for the Spoonerism, but my daughter just showed me something on her phone that referred to the "abdominal snowman", so that got the word-play part of my mind going)

tawa
12-28-2017, 21:11
Predicting a low of --17 for Indianapolis on Monday!! Pretty damn cold for central Indiana.
Hope this weather last for about a month to kill off all the bugs and ticks from mild winters the past 5-10 yrs!!

egilbe
12-28-2017, 22:27
The plan is to camp out in the yard this weekend to get my gf used to cold camping. Should be fun.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2017, 23:27
The plan is to camp out in the yard this weekend to get my gf used to cold camping. Should be fun.

Better get a dozen hand warmer packages to put in the bag with ya :) Gonna be wicked cold.

DownEaster
12-28-2017, 23:30
Better get a dozen hand warmer packages to put in the bag with ya :)
If you're in the back yard then haul out that old Nalgene bottle, fill it with boiling water, and put a thick wool sock over it. Lots more heat than those little hand warmer packs.

psyculman
12-29-2017, 06:23
I came through Franconia Notch. at 11 am yesterday. (Thursday) My car doesn't have a thermometer, but it was the first time I ever saw the engine temperature gage go down while at highway speed. It went down to about 1/3 of what would be normal. Though sunny, it was 'other worldly'. Steam condensation was billowing from the tail pipes of all the traffic.

Slo-go'en
12-29-2017, 13:25
Well, my water supply finally froze up last night. Too many -17F nights in a row. Hopefully it's just the intake to the cistern which froze up and some work with my ice axe will fix it. It's -1F out now. Time to bundle up and hike up to the stream and see what I can do.

Cheyou
12-29-2017, 13:44
Frozen water lines no fun at all . Good luck

Thom

Slo-go'en
12-29-2017, 18:52
Frozen water lines no fun at all . Good luck
Thom

Looks like I'll be living 1800's style for the rest of winter given how much ice I found in stream. I have a weep hole to keep the water flowing in the pipe between the cistern and where it goes underground. The spray from the weep hole froze right up to the hole and once the water was no longer flowing, I have 15 feet of frozen pipe in the stream bed.

Thankfully, I don't have to go far to get a bucket of water to flush the toilet with and I can fill up jugs of water at a friends place, but not taking a shower for the next 3 months might be rough :)

Cheyou
12-29-2017, 19:40
I live off grid ,wood heat , gas generator to pump water ever few days. I know your pain !

thom

peakbagger
12-29-2017, 21:43
Time for a health club membership. Or bring a roll of quarters to Pinkham Notch. :)

Venchka
12-29-2017, 22:05
I came through Franconia Notch. at 11 am yesterday. (Thursday) My car doesn't have a thermometer, but it was the first time I ever saw the engine temperature gage go down while at highway speed. It went down to about 1/3 of what would be normal. Though sunny, it was 'other worldly'. Steam condensation was billowing from the tail pipes of all the traffic.
You need a new thermostat.
Wayne

double d
12-30-2017, 00:57
There is a guy on Facebook boiling water and then dumping it out on the top of Mt. Washington, of course the water freezes and is vaporized!!! Its about -86 with wind chill today (12-30-2017).

Venchka
12-30-2017, 06:26
Add in the wind, 82 MPH and the wind chill is -82 F. Looks like its going to stay this way for several days. My place about 5 miles away was a balmy -13 F an hour ago.

This is not as bad as its can get, but a few weeks early, normally the lowest temps are usually late January.
Is this a record for the date? Surely it’s not the absolute record for Mt. Washington?
One enquiring mind wants to know.
Wayne

egilbe
12-30-2017, 06:52
For the date. We don't usually get this cold this early. And definitely not for a week straight. I'm on the coast and normally temps are moderated by the warmer Atlantic ocean. All that 50* water has a warming effect, buts it's not being felt at all. -11 as I write this.

psyculman
12-30-2017, 07:06
Thanks, I didn't think of that. Hope it can keep closing up enough to work till spring.

psyculman
12-30-2017, 07:14
Thanks venchka
I didn't think of that!

George
01-01-2018, 00:18
I did mt baldy on the n end of lake tahoe today - it got a little chilly on the way back down and I had to put my jacket back on

Cookerhiker
01-01-2018, 13:22
On the drive from Manchester, VT to Rutland last night, the temperature per the car thermometer went down to -18. This morning's low at the Rutland airport was -11.

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2018, 16:22
Is this a record for the date? Surely it’s not the absolute record for Mt. Washington?
One enquiring mind wants to know.
WayneFrom wikipedia:
For many years, the record low temperature was thought to be −47 °F (−44 °C) occurring on January 29, 1934, but upon the first in-depth examination of the data from the 19th century at NOAA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Oceanic_and_Atmospheric_Administration)'s National Climatic Data Center (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Climatic_Data_Center) in Asheville, North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asheville,_North_Carolina), a new record low was discovered. Mount Washington's official record low of −50 °F (−46 °C) was recorded on January 22, 1885. However, there is also hand-written evidence to suggest that an unofficial low of −59 °F (−51 °C) occurred on January 5, 1871. . .On January 16, 2004, the summit weather observation registered a temperature of −43.6 °F (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit) (−42.0 °C (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius)) and sustained winds of 87.5 mph (140.8 km/h), resulting in a wind chill (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill) value of −102.59 °F (−74.77 °C) at the mountain.

hikernutcasey
01-03-2018, 09:27
Is there some kind of device that generates storm terminology? First we had "polar vortex" and now it's "bomb cyclone". Come on, they have got to be making this stuff up as they go. Next month it will be the "siberian matrix" coming up the east coast to destroy us all!

Traveler
01-03-2018, 10:30
Is there some kind of device that generates storm terminology? First we had "polar vortex" and now it's "bomb cyclone". Come on, they have got to be making this stuff up as they go. Next month it will be the "siberian matrix" coming up the east coast to destroy us all!
A lot of terminology used in many aspects of science and technology are not necessarily known by the general public. For example few people outside of those involved with aviation would know the "cone of confusion" is not describing a device used on Get Smart.

The term "polar vortex" has been around since the 1950s in meteorology, the phenomenon was first discovered in the mid 1800s. The general public picked up the term during the winter of 2013-4 with its particularly active polar vortex generation and now applies the term frequently, if not incorrectly during the winter months. The term describes a disruption in the normal polar cyclone system that creates one or several smaller stratospheric vortex systems, usually defined as being under 600 miles diameter and at levels down to around 18,000 feet. This causes very fast cooling of the planet surface under the phenomenon, which can remain in place for long periods of time.

The term "bombogenesis" has its origins in the 1940s, which is used sometimes interchangeably with explosive cyclogenesis and extratropical cyclone. Other terms that have been used are weather bomb, explosive development, and meteorological bomb. Without going into very deep detail, bombogenesis is a term used when storms strengthen as a low pressure system deepens a set amount over a set period of time. Sometimes these are referred to as "perfect storms" as well.

Unless one is studying meteorology forecasting or related sciences, the public has little need to know terminology at that depth. With news being a product now, this (and many other technological terminology) is used in reporting and picked up quickly via social media, making it seem like these are new terms when in fact they have been around a while.

Tipi Walter
01-03-2018, 10:42

Thanks Hikernutcasey for reminding me of this craziness. I've made fun of the "wee'tards"(weathermen) for years for coming up with all sorts of nonsense, as you say. Embedded thunderstorms? What? Arctic blast?, tornadic winds?(something to do with torn nads??)---

I wrote this in a previous Whiteblaze post---
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Dogwood https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1837576#post1837576)
"Is butt cold a TN hiking term?"

"Butt Cold" is a technical term which I do not expect the reading public to understand. It's in the same category as "Embedded thunderstorms", "heat indices", "snow banding" and all the other kind of crap the Wee'tards(weathermen)like to spew.

The worst aspect is their naming of winter storms; what we used to call just a snowfall or simple blizzard. Now it's the Weather Event of the Decade. What's next? The Joseph Stalin Outbreak or The Ted Kaczynski cold storm of January 3? Or The Colon Flaccid Drop Your Drawers Embedded Dingleberry Event?

NSHSDad
01-03-2018, 10:46
Unless one is studying meteorology forecasting or related sciences, the public has little need to know terminology at that depth.
Yes, but it's fascinating. I'm still trying to understand explosive cyclogenesis. For this one to qualify, there has to be something like a 20 hPa drop in pressure in 24 hours at the latitude of Boston. That's a pretty big drop - will be checking the barometer. Right now, it's at 1019 hPa.

There is the famous case of the 1979 Fastnet sailing race off Great Britain, where a bomb cyclone caused huge damage and was unexpected in the deepening of the trough.

peakbagger
01-03-2018, 14:21
The bombogenesis term crops up in the book about the Kat Montrosova rescue/recovery.

I don't remember hearing the term used to describe the "The Storm of the Century" depicted in later movie but expect it probably qualified.

rocketsocks
01-03-2018, 14:37

http://w1.weather.gov/glossary/

rocketsocks
01-03-2018, 14:38
BombPopular expression of a rapid intensification of a cyclone (low pressure) with surface pressure expected to fall by at least 24 millibars in 24 hour.

hikernutcasey
01-04-2018, 12:53
For those of you who have followed this thread you may be interested in keeping tabs on the Observatory website https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/current-summit-conditions.aspx over the next 36 hours or so. The high summits forecast predicts well over a foot of snow with wind gusts approaching 130 mph. Then the real cold comes in Friday night with lows in the upper -30's! This will produce wind chills of 85 - 95 below. Fun stuff :)

Slo-go'en
01-04-2018, 18:08
For those of you who have followed this thread you may be interested in keeping tabs on the Observatory website https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/current-summit-conditions.aspx over the next 36 hours or so. The high summits forecast predicts well over a foot of snow with wind gusts approaching 130 mph. Then the real cold comes in Friday night with lows in the upper -30's! This will produce wind chills of 85 - 95 below. Fun stuff :)

And it's not much better down here at the foot of the mountain either!

egilbe
01-04-2018, 18:16
And it's not much better down here at the foot of the mountain either!

But, what a view!

staugy
01-08-2018, 12:07
miami is 65