PDA

View Full Version : Altra Lonepeak 3.0 vs 3.5 - Heads Up Things Have Changed

Gambit McCrae
12-28-2017, 09:32
For Christmas I got a new pair of Altra 3.5's. Now the 3.0's have been better then the 2.5's and have been the best shoe I have ever used on the trail. So I wear a 9.5 for an everyday Altra (2.5's) and with my hiking Altra's I have always worn a 10 and they work great, plenty of room. With going into my third set of trail Altras I naturally got a size 10. They were smaller then my everyday 9.5 2.5's felt! My toes were completely flush at the front of the toe box. Returned them to amazon on Dec 25th and 2 days later my Altra 3.5 size 11 were on my front porch. Fit just like my 3.0's in size 10.

Now other then the size downscaling that seems to have happened, the 3.5 has a rock plate in it which I am pretty happy about seeing as how I have PA coming up in July. But as well the other noticeable difference is the large amount of padding in in the shoe as well as what seems to be a better grip on the tread and the durability of the outside of the shoe.

My advice for those looking to transfer from the Altra 2.5-3.0 to the 3.5 is to go up 1 full size from what worked best for you in the previous models. Honestly if the 3.0's had a rock plate in them I would be ordering another pair of them. I will update this thread once I have miles under the shoe.

Kaptain Kangaroo
12-28-2017, 15:06
Same here...normally wear a 10.5, but had to exchange them for a pair of 11.5

Gambit McCrae
12-28-2017, 16:00
Same here...normally wear a 10.5, but had to exchange them for a pair of 11.5

How you liking them??

saltysack
12-29-2017, 00:17
Less volume also...u had to go from SF green to carbon..lower profile. I switched to Timps and so far so good. 3.5 LP toe box seemed to have less room than 3.0 but Timps are very roomy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon
12-29-2017, 14:05
How you liking them??

Can’t comment on the size differential since the 3.5’s were my first Altras. However I will say they are the best rock gripping shoes I’ve ever had, and believe me I’ve tried many different shoes. My garage has about a dozen pair of mowing shoes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zed
12-29-2017, 14:33
Sounds like the sizing is now more in line with the Olympus. I had to size up when I switched from Lone Peak to Olympus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

globetruck
12-30-2017, 17:52
Less volume also...u had to go from SF green to carbon..lower profile. I switched to Timps and so far so good. 3.5 LP toe box seemed to have less room than 3.0 but Timps are very roomy.

Agree that the Timps are more roomy than the Lone Peak 3.5s, but my Timps aren’t nearly as durable as the Lone Peaks for the following reasons: (1) Timp treads have a lot of foam and treads glued onto the foam, which has started to separate on my shoes after about 200 miles of VA hiking. (2) Timp uppers aren’t as durable as the Lone Peaks. Mine suffered some rock scrapes that needed Shoe Goo to patch up. A 1/4 inch hole turned into a 2 inch tear.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171230/d9a441d8ccf7b8beddee4009270803a6.jpg
Wolf Trap amphitheater and state park - live music, plays

Marine Corps Barracks parade - free tickets, but red to get them ASAP

Concert series at USAF memorial

JFK concert series - free every day!

Odyssey of the mind for Paul

Crystal mountain
Mt st Michelle winery
Brewery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

globetruck
12-30-2017, 18:05
Someone please tell me how I can edit my original post - it somehow included some other text from something else. Thanks.

D2maine
12-30-2017, 19:26
Someone please tell me how I can edit my original post - it somehow included some other text from something else. Thanks.

you cannot unless you become a paying member - editing is used as one of the "incentives" to donation

saltysack
12-30-2017, 20:33
Agree that the Timps are more roomy than the Lone Peak 3.5s, but my Timps aren’t nearly as durable as the Lone Peaks for the following reasons: (1) Timp treads have a lot of foam and treads glued onto the foam, which has started to separate on my shoes after about 200 miles of VA hiking. (2) Timp uppers aren’t as durable as the Lone Peaks. Mine suffered some rock scrapes that needed Shoe Goo to patch up. A 1/4 inch hole turned into a 2 inch tear.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171230/d9a441d8ccf7b8beddee4009270803a6.jpg
Wolf Trap amphitheater and state park - live music, plays

Marine Corps Barracks parade - free tickets, but red to get them ASAP

Concert series at USAF memorial

JFK concert series - free every day!

Odyssey of the mind for Paul

Crystal mountain
Mt st Michelle winery
Brewery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love both but neither hold up worth a crap for ME! I kick too many damn rocks....both need shoe goo after 100 miles...timp has lots more volume for sure.

staugy
01-08-2018, 12:09
yes i saw that

Gambit McCrae
01-08-2018, 12:12
I have done very little walking in the new LP 3.5's but since getting a size larger then what I am used to I have walked about 5 trail miles with them and I have good feedback. More cushion, more grip, durability seems to be the same or more then the 3.0's. My toes still have enough room.

saltysack
01-08-2018, 23:30
I have done very little walking in the new LP 3.5's but since getting a size larger then what I am used to I have walked about 5 trail miles with them and I have good feedback. More cushion, more grip, durability seems to be the same or more then the 3.0's. My toes still have enough room.

Go ahead and buy some shoe goo...going to need it...Altra should give a tube with every pair...

Gambit McCrae
01-09-2018, 08:56
Go ahead and buy some shoe goo...going to need it...Altra should give a tube with every pair...

I figured after I finish PA in July they will need a little mending lol

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-09-2018, 17:29
Not happy at all with the sizing/shape of the 3.5's

I normally take a size 10.5, but exchanged them for an 11.5 as they were too tight around the midfoot. (plenty of room in the toe box) Unfortunately the 11.5's are still too tight in the midfoot. Can't go up another size as they will be way too loose everywhere else.

Never had this experience with other shoes. I normally love Altras as I do have wide feet, but the 3.5's just seem to be a weird shape (for my feet at least)

Very sad :(

saltysack
01-09-2018, 18:48
Not happy at all with the sizing/shape of the 3.5's

I normally take a size 10.5, but exchanged them for an 11.5 as they were too tight around the midfoot. (plenty of room in the toe box) Unfortunately the 11.5's are still too tight in the midfoot. Can't go up another size as they will be way too loose everywhere else.

Never had this experience with other shoes. I normally love Altras as I do have wide feet, but the 3.5's just seem to be a weird shape (for my feet at least)

Very sad :(

Had same problem using SF Green had to drop to less volume of carbon SF....not sure if your using super feet though. I ended up switching to Timps...very happy with comfort...much more volume all around....

Night Train
01-11-2018, 10:36
Hey Gambit....Do you also Ultra run? Just wanted some pertinent feedback on the 3.5s as opposed to the 3.0s. I hike and run in 3.0s...and my experience is different between the two as far as comfort and wear goes. Haven't pulled the trigger on the 3.5s because of my love for the 3.0s.

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2018, 11:41
Hey Gambit....Do you also Ultra run? Just wanted some pertinent feedback on the 3.5s as opposed to the 3.0s. I hike and run in 3.0s...and my experience is different between the two as far as comfort and wear goes. Haven't pulled the trigger on the 3.5s because of my love for the 3.0s.

I do not. This body was not designed for running lol Now I have been known to, at the end of 20+ mile day & a few pulls on the whiskey bottle, to run down the last decent into whatever town is going to produce a big hamburger and cold beer...But that's about it lol I can see that there would be a difference though...I could definitely see where a difference between walking and running in crocs would come into play, but its harder for me to see in trail runners a comparison of walking and running. But I am not a runner so I am ignorant to those facts.

Night Train
01-11-2018, 13:23
I do not. This body was not designed for running lol Now I have been known to, at the end of 20+ mile day & a few pulls on the whiskey bottle, to run down the last decent into whatever town is going to produce a big hamburger and cold beer...But that's about it lol I can see that there would be a difference though...I could definitely see where a difference between walking and running in crocs would come into play, but its harder for me to see in trail runners a comparison of walking and running. But I am not a runner so I am ignorant to those facts.

Thanks, I appreciate your candor. Hiking was the catalyst that evolved my love for trail/ultra running. Hey pal...never too late to expand your trail experience.