PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Springs, Pa.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2003, 17:37
Be sure to visit the actual "boiling springs" that gives the town it's name. It's quite a site to see thousands of gallons of water per minute bubbling out of the ground.

Bianchi Veloce
02-06-2003, 23:54
I used to live in Boiling Springs besides the Yellow Breeches Creek. It is a great community. When you hit town, stop by Anile's Ristorante & Pizzaria at 6 Front Street for some awesome pizza pie. Their phone number was 258-5070. Anile and his son don't scrimp on the toppings. Rock on!

Jumpstart
02-07-2003, 15:50
Boiling Springs was a nice sleepy little place. Practically everything was closed when we got there early in the morning, but we did get to feed the (miilions?) of ducks in the town center pond. Theer is an AT center here too, where you can us a phone, a real bathroom and a hose out back for water.

BlackCloud
07-19-2004, 18:33
For whatever reasons, I think only Damascus beats this little hamlet out for best town ON the AT.

The trail center is open weekdays year round and weekends thru the summer. Full of maps, books, and friendly people, try to stop in...........

Jack Tarlin
07-19-2004, 18:51
Black Cloud---

Sorry to disagree, but in something like 10 visits, I've never found Boiling Springs to be particularly noteworthy or hiker-friendly.

In terms of services:

*There are few restaurants other than the Pizzeria
*The supermarket is a good walk from the Trail
*The main restaurant/tavern in town is decidedly UN-friendly to hikers
*Others services---stores,outfitters, libraries, pharmacies, banks, etc. are either inconveniently located or absent
*There is effectively no lodging in town; there is a rather spartan "official" campsite south of town which consists of a Port-A-John and a patch of grass; water must be brought from town; it is very apparent when you visit that this is not an overtly hiker-friendly town; the town does NOTHING to attract or cater to hikers and is clearly not remotely interested in doing so
*There are very few alternative lodging options in town
*In ten years, I've encounted only a handful of residents that have gone out of their way to embrace the hiking community; don't get me wrong, these were GREAT folks......but there were very few of them

When I think of the other wonderful towns that the Trail goes directly through or near, such as Hot Springs, Pearisburg, Duncannon, Delaware Water Gap, Unionville, Dalton, Cheshire, and Hanover, there is simply no comparison in terms of available services and friendliness to hikers.

Comparing Boiling Springs to Damascus is therefore a pretty long stretch; other than the fact that the Trail goes right thru 'em, that's about all they have in common

Frosty
07-19-2004, 22:53
*The main restaurant/tavern in town is decidedly UN-friendly to hikersIs this the one in the old building just to the left of the pond? On a section hike, I ate in the bar and found the bartender to be very pleasant and helpful. Perhaps it's another story in the main dining room, but the biggest problem I had was hauling my butt off the bar stool.

MedicineMan
07-19-2004, 23:53
sounds like a business opportunity in Boiling Springs for someone who might like to live there?????

c.coyle
07-20-2004, 13:33
Is this the one in the old building just to the left of the pond? On a section hike, I ate in the bar and found the bartender to be very pleasant and helpful. Perhaps it's another story in the main dining room, but the biggest problem I had was hauling my butt off the bar stool.

Are you referring to the Boiling Springs Tavern, in the old stone building right across the street from the lake, on the same street as the ATC Office and the Post Office? We've dined at the bar half a dozen times after hikes, and had the same experience you had - very friendly, no one seemed to care that we looked ratty or hung around for 8 or 9 rounds. The dining room is kind of upscale, and hikers would probably be discouraged from eating there.

From a non-thru hiker's perspective: Almost all of my AT experience is in PA. If Boiling Springs is comparable to Damascus, Damascus will be a letdown when I finally get there. Compared to Duncannon and Port Clinton, BS has never felt like a trail town to me. The general impression I get is that folks in Boiling Springs are just apathetic about the AT and hikers.

Never had a bad experience there, but no one on their front porch in BS has ever offered me an ice tea as I walked by on a hot day, as has happened several times in Duncannon.

MOWGLI
07-20-2004, 13:54
I loved Boiling Springs. I did not particularly care for Duncannon. IMO, unless you drink alcohol (which I do not - haven't in 20 years), I don't see what Duncannon has to offer other than food, resupply and a laundry. I found the whole scene at the Doyle to be pretty sad. Many locals were loaded to the gills, and the Doyle's new owner, a lovely young woman, had her father doing crowd control at the bar. He certainly had his hands full as I witnessed several near fights. He nearly got his clock cleaned. Of course, I only spent one night there back in 2000. I did not encounter any friendly locals, although, as demonstrated by posters like Mary on this site, there is certainly a community of folks who like hikers in Duncannon. Thank you Mary.

Boiling Springs was IMO great. Yes, the supermarket is a good walk, and no, no one picked me up while I hitched there. On my way back from the market, I met an elderly gentlemen who was sitting in a chair in his front yard. We chatted for several hours about god, war, Joe Paterno (considered god by many in PA), and all kinds of things. For me, it was one of the highlights of the trip. I also had some great ice cream in town. I recall that the P.O. is just off of the trail. The then Manager of the ATC office offered (without me asking) to slackpack me to Scott Farm. It was an offer I refused, and considering the 95+ degree heat, I got a bit of a funny look. I was certainly grateful for the offer, and expressed my gratitude.

The valley walk north of Duncannon is where I experienced my epiphany. It was an awesome experience, and I still get glassy eyed when I pass by that area on I81 heading north or south.

Anyway, that's my perspective. I'm certain everyone's experience is different. BTW, speaking of the Doyle, the new owner seemed intent on cleaning the place up. I hope she was able to. My room was downright scary. As I recall, the walls were oozing.
Has she made any progress on that front?

Little Bear

Youngblood
07-20-2004, 15:35
I enjoyed Boiling Springs... the good food and pleasant scenery. Of course, I was just a humble thru-hiker and didn't expect to be treated like anything else. Sometimes the problem is not how we are treated, but in how we expect to be treated.

Youngblood

MOWGLI
07-20-2004, 20:25
BTW, speaking of the Doyle, the new owner seemed intent on cleaning the place up. I hope she was able to....
Has she made any progress on that front?

Little Bear Let me answeer my own question. The Doyle has an interesting website that includes photos of thru-hikers. They talk about cleaning the place up, and even buying new beds.

Here's a link to the web page;

http://www.doylehotel.com/_wsn/page2.html

Jack Tarlin
07-20-2004, 21:13
The Doyle is in the process of being renovated and restored, and while it's a work in progress, great improvements have been made.

The new owners are wonderful people who deserve our patronage and support, as well as our thanks for keeping the Doyle going, and going so well.

Blue Jay
07-21-2004, 07:42
I have stayed in the Doyle 4 times over the years and this year it was clean and the bed was new. For the money, in my opinion, there is no better commercial place to stay on the AT. The history alone is worth it.

DMA, 2000
07-21-2004, 20:38
So they've gotten rid of the corpses, Jack?

I'm frustrated right now that I can't remember where I stayed in Boiling Springs, but it was a lovely home/hostel. The name escapes me. Is that no longer there? I stayed there for three nights, dealing with a bad foot, and went out a few times with a local girl. So I remember BS very fondly, if not in great detail.

Cedar Tree
07-22-2004, 06:12
On my 2000 hike, in Boiling Springs I stayed with a lady who went by the name Mother Hen. She let hikers stay in her basement. She was really nice, she fed me and took me to a grocery store. I think I heard later her neighbors were giving her trouble about taking care of hikers. Anybody know if she is still around?
Cedar Tree

NJPacker
07-22-2004, 15:21
I'd like very much to agree with Jack Tarlin. During my section hike this year (PenMar Park to DWG), May 29 to June 15th, I did a 22 mile hike in the rain to get to Boiling Springs. My first stop was at the AT Regional Office. To my dismay, I found the workers there to be unknowledgeable, impersonal, and basically rude. Other than the food at Anile's, I found nothing enjoyable in town. On the other end of the spectrum, I found everyone in Duncannon to be extremely friendly and helpful. Trailangel Mary is truly an angel by BP'in standards. Vickie and Pat were great hosts at the Doyle and the trail angel who took us to the outfitter in Harrisburg and to the market was one of the finest ladies along the trail. In general, I found the populations of Duncannon, Port Clinton and Palmerton to be much friendlier and helpful than those in Boiling Springs. Just my opinion.

DMA, 2000
07-22-2004, 21:29
That's the place. I remember at the time (also 2000) that her neighbors weren't too impressed. That's the kind of place that I could easily see disappearing as a combination of that and disconsiderate hikers. People definitely took advantage of the situation (drinking, noise, etc.)

LIhikers
10-04-2004, 16:01
This summer my wife and I finished up our section hike in Boiling Springs. After we got to our car the first stop was at the community swimming pool. There, for 1 dollar each, they let us use the showers and swimming pool. What a pleasure ! Then the next stop was just up the road at Anile's Ristorante & Pizzaria.

Sparky!
10-04-2004, 17:10
Albeit, I am from around Boiling Springs, as a matter of fact I am from Carlisle just up the road.
I have worked at the ATC there greeting the wave of hikers coming through and I have taken many to the Karn's supermarket up the street and into my town of Carlisle. I have to admit it is a great little town but as far as hiking amenities it does lack some but is a great place to stop, pick up supplies and mail and possibly yogi a slack pack from one of the volunteers there on the weekend.... I am always a sucker for that!
Next time you are there or passing through make sure you get a ride to the Bonanza Steak House in Carlisle for the ayce spread for $8. We also have a Wal-Mart Super Center there as well as a few laundry facilities.

With that said when most hikers hit the ATC they are very focused on crossing the Cumberland Valley so the next day they are at the Doyle. When you come into Boiling Springs your only options for camping are at the designated campsite and yes it is close to an active rail road track. Other than that you will pay dearly to stay at one of the B&Bs....

Peaks
10-04-2004, 17:10
On my 2000 hike, in Boiling Springs I stayed with a lady who went by the name Mother Hen. She let hikers stay in her basement. She was really nice, she fed me and took me to a grocery store. I think I heard later her neighbors were giving her trouble about taking care of hikers. Anybody know if she is still around?
Cedar Tree

I enjoyed my stay with Mother Hen in 2001.

I had an email or two from Mother Hen a year or two ago. To make a long story short, things got out of hand too often. Neighbors complained. Finally the country stepped in and said if she was going to have hikers staying over that the place would need to get licensed and permits and all that. It would have cost several thousand. So, she no longer opens her doors to hikers coming thru Boiling Springs. Too bad.

BlackCloud
11-20-2004, 22:42
Sometimes the problem is not how we are treated, but in how we expect to be treated.

YoungbloodAlthough JT rationally breaks down the lack of amenities in Boiling Springs in a logical manner, I wasn't looking for anything but a nice town. Everyone I met was exceedingly friendly, and two thruhikers on a zero day with whom I spoke were having a fine time.....

But I've only been thru there once, to his 10.

But I must say, Duncannon is a DUMP dude. I've been in latrines fancier then that hole!

LIhikers
12-24-2004, 09:02
This past summer my wife and I finished up a section hike in Boiling Springs. Our first stop in town was the community swimming pool. For 1 dollar each we were able to use the showers and swimming pool. What a great way to end 2 weeks on the trail!

neo
12-24-2004, 10:12
boiling springs is a beautiful town, pizza place is great,enjoyed my visit
at the atc office.the spring feeds a very nice fishing lake.:sun neo

buttah
10-19-2005, 21:46
In defense of Boiling Springs, I really enjoyed the place. We camped for a buck in the back yard of the Garminhaus, a B&B right on the town lake. There is also a perfectly fine place to stay outside of town. It is indeed just a flat patch of grass with a port-a-john, but its flatness far exceeds many campsites I've crashed in. While hanging out on the front porch of the ATC center, I was snared by a family setting up for a birthday party on the lake, and after helping got fed and even did a little karaoke with the folks. Got a ride (with the tour and all that) from a lady into Carlisle and back. Yeah, it is not a place to get rowdy and raise some hell, but it's a nice respite from the hot hellish transect of that valley. Stick to the dogpatch for the hellraisin. BTW, if there is ill will towards hikers in BS, it is because the ATC went on a land foreclosure binge a decade or so ago. For good or bad, they basically used eminent domain laws to foreclose on land that had been held in family farms for generations. There was no other way to blast a trail through prime agricultural land, but you could understand how it could lead to some bad blood. And the water coming out of Boiling Springs is tasty and cold.

General Fireball
10-19-2005, 22:02
I thought Boiling Springs was a lovely little town, and the spring itself was indeed a wonder to behold. Amenities are a bit sparse, yes. The single greatest flaw is the lack of decent public camping (anywhere along the AT in the Cumberland Valley, in fact). The "official" campsite on the outskirts of town did not even have a port-a-john when we camped there perhaps seven years ago; it was just an overgrown field, not even mowed. Even with a port-a-john, let me tell you: those trains that come barrelling through all night long will rattle the fillings right out of your head. For that reason, I have to say that the single most unpleasant night I have EVER spent on the AT (out of a hundred or more) was at Boiling Springs.

MoBeach42
10-19-2005, 22:03
as I walked to the Pizza place a local was filling up some crates of water jugs, so on my way back grabed some water. You have to duck under the railings, but it's good water!

Also - I wouldn't reccomend camping in the ATC's "designated" place. It's RIGHT next to the train tracks, which at least the night I was there went through at least 5 times, blowing its horn as it went. I my buddy stayed at the B&B, and there were several people camping out back there for very little money. I would go for that option next time.

-Jay

Lone Wolf
10-19-2005, 22:05
Set up in the first field NOBO of the ATC Hq.

karoberts
02-24-2008, 22:18
How difficult is it to get to Harrisburg from Boiling Springs? I'm doing a section hike from Harpers Ferry, and I need to get back to California from Boiling Springs. I looked for train and bus routes, but the place must be really small, because I couldn't find anything.

BobS
02-25-2008, 08:39
Boiling Springs is very small, with no public transportation connecting it to anywhere. Our shuttle list has a few folks in the are who should be able to help: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 09:42
Although I have not tried this there are WEEKDAY NON HOLIDAY bus routes shown on http://cattransit.com/routes_and_schedules_bus.php - from Dillsburg (seven miles back-road walking from B.S.), see "Dillsburg Commuter Express"; and from US 11 in the truck stop jungle (two stops listed each two miles either side of the A.T. crossing in the middle of the Cumberland Valley), see "Route C" - these will drop you in downtown Harrisburg "Market Square Transfer Center" four blocks from the rail station, or transfer to "Route 7" which goes to the Harrisburg airport (MDT).

mudhead
02-25-2008, 10:56
Anyone have a picture of the actual springs themselves?

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 11:10
This is the "main" spring on the path between the Post Office and Anile's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bsprings2.jpg

karoberts
02-25-2008, 11:55
Although I have not tried this there are WEEKDAY NON HOLIDAY bus routes shown on http://cattransit.com/routes_and_schedules_bus.php - from Dillsburg (seven miles back-road walking from B.S.), see "Dillsburg Commuter Express"; and from US 11 in the truck stop jungle (two stops listed each two miles either side of the A.T. crossing in the middle of the Cumberland Valley), see "Route C" - these will drop you in downtown Harrisburg "Market Square Transfer Center" four blocks from the rail station, or transfer to "Route 7" which goes to the Harrisburg airport (MDT).

Thanks for the responses.

What about Carlisle? On the map it looks big, and maps.ask.com says it's only 5.1 miles walking.

rafe
02-25-2008, 12:02
I missed the springs by taking an accidental blue-blaze. :o I'd started that morning from Darlington shelter. Got to B.S. early afternoon. Stopped in at ATC HQ for a while, then walked a couple of blocks to some cafe for a cheeseburger. It started raining hard while I was inside having my late lunch. When I left the cafe, I continued sobo, in pouring rain -- on the "wrong" side of that park in the middle of town.

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 12:16
What about Carlisle? On the map it looks big, and maps.ask.com says it's only 5.1 miles walking.

That's where the bus route "C" winds up, but it crosses the A.T. closer than Carlisle, which is why I mentioned that one. There's another commuter bus route that stops on the south side of Carlisle at Wal-Mart, and you can back road over to it from Boiling Springs, but that involves a lot more knowing where to turn than getting to Dillsburg, and it's about as far even if you don't get lost (used to bike both ways a lot when I lived in B.S.)

One thing about PA - don't expect local government services to be more logical than the structure of local government. :)

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 12:25
I missed the springs by taking an accidental blue-blaze. :o I'd started that morning from Darlington shelter. Got to B.S. early afternoon. Stopped in at ATC HQ for a while, then walked a couple of blocks to some cafe for a cheeseburger. It started raining hard while I was inside having my late lunch. When I left the cafe, I continued sobo, in pouring rain -- on the "wrong" side of that park in the middle of town.

The "Bubble" is actually back north from the cafe, on the other side of PA 174 than the rest of the park - you sort of have to wind your way around back of the unfriendly Tavern to get there from that angle. Actually there are also springs that come out right in the lake - you can see them bubbling up right below the big gun next to the clock tower, across that side street from the cafe.

Did y'all know the lake is an A.T. land trust success story? Read about it here: http://conserveland.org/stories/chl1 (http://conserveland.org/stories/chl1)

karoberts
02-25-2008, 12:45
That's where the bus route "C" winds up, but it crosses the A.T. closer than Carlisle, which is why I mentioned that one. There's another commuter bus route that stops on the south side of Carlisle at Wal-Mart, and you can back road over to it from Boiling Springs, but that involves a lot more knowing where to turn than getting to Dillsburg, and it's about as far even if you don't get lost (used to bike both ways a lot when I lived in B.S.)

One thing about PA - don't expect local government services to be more logical than the structure of local government. :)

My main reason for asking was I'm likely to be arriving in B.S. on Saturday or Sunday, so the weekday bus in Dillsburg won't do.

sparky2000
02-25-2008, 13:33
I've got some family history there - it was the center of the underground RR from Maryland before and during the War between the States.

HIKER7s
02-25-2008, 14:57
This is where I got shot with paintballs hiking into town (while hitching)

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 15:21
My main reason for asking was I'm likely to be arriving in B.S. on Saturday or Sunday, so the weekday bus in Dillsburg won't do.

OK, then the weekday buses to Carlisle won't work either, the only one of those routes I mentioned that had weekend service is the downtown Harrisburg to airport. :( So you're back to the other suggestion, last I looked on the shuttle list the Carlisle/Boiling Springs area was fairly well represented.

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 15:50
In 2003 there was a fellow who let you either tent in his back yard or rent a room in the house. If you tented he would give you access to the back door of the house for use of the toilet and shower. Don't remember the fellows name at the moment but the house itself was on the other side of the canal. From the ATC Regional office you walked over the bridge and took a left at the first street. The house was a block or two down on the left.

Only there for the one night so that worked out perfect for me. I chose to save the money and tent in his back yard. Then a group of us walked over for pizza. Later that evening we heard about an outdoor Blue Grass Festival at the local college east of town. A local with a pick-up offered to drive us out and back. We grabbed a couple six packs, spread out our matresses and enjoyed the show.

All things considered, Boiling Springs was a positive experience for me.

'Slogger

Lyle
02-25-2008, 16:35
My impression of Boiling Springs was neither positive or negative. I had hiked in and needed to hike on pretty quick if I wanted to make it across the valley the same day. Definitely was not impressed with the camping facilities. Spent some time on the ATC porch - they were closed. A local did stop by and inform us that the only restaurant that would welcome us was the Pizza place. Just bought some snacks at the Gas Station, did a very quick walk-through of the Outfitter (not at all hiker oriented, more yuppie fisherman), then hiked on.

Too bad all the hard feelings in the valley. Would be nice to be allowed a campsite somewhere, plenty of spaces available. ATC did itself and other Scenic Trails a big disservice by the tactic they used of invoking eminent domain. Other trails do not have that authority, and have been working hard, so far unsuccessfully, to get willing seller authority. The NPS or NFS cannot buy land to protect other trails, even if they have a willing seller. I'm sure some of the resistance is due to the very bad publicity that the ATC brought to the Trails System. A very unfortunate decision.

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 16:51
Ah yes, the "Outfitter," 'tis true we are not their target market. Here's a link to a local info sheet the volunteers in the little cottage use, when they're on duty: http://www.satc-hike.org/BSQA.pdf

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 17:49
OK, then the weekday buses to Carlisle won't work either, the only one of those routes I mentioned that had weekend service is the downtown Harrisburg to airport. :( So you're back to the other suggestion, last I looked on the shuttle list the Carlisle/Boiling Springs area was fairly well represented.

Oops, thought of one other possibility - Capitol Trailways http://www.capitoltrailways.com/default.html if you click "Scheduled Line Service" you can see the off brand 'hound service from Carlisle to Harrisburg that goes on weekends too. On another link it says the bus stop is at Dickinson College on Cherry Street - that will be about 1 mile west of the Carlisle Square or 6 miles from the center of B.S.

zoidfu
02-25-2008, 18:19
Joe Paterno(considered god by many in PA),

Little Bear[/quote]

He IS

mudhead
02-25-2008, 18:32
This is the "main" spring on the path between the Post Office and Anile's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bsprings2.jpg

Thanks. Does it ever cover the rock?

rafe
02-25-2008, 18:55
Too bad all the hard feelings in the valley. Would be nice to be allowed a campsite somewhere, plenty of spaces available.

There's a shelter about 3 miles south of Boiling Springs, and a campsite at the south end of town, I hear. So what's the problem?

I've heard reports that B.S. (and the ATC HQ in town) are not hiker-friendly. That was not my experience at all.

I'd heard reports that camping in the corridor (between Darlington Shelter and B.S.) was not allowed, so I didn't... even though it meant a long afternoon at Darlington shelter, in the rain.

Appalachian Tater
02-25-2008, 18:58
The guy at the ATC HQ when I went through was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Funny, too. They had fuel there you could top off with on a donation-basis. Pretty darn good pizza at the pizza place, and soda by the pitcher. The fishing place was interesting, but not much there for hikers, socks maybe. Overall, an attractive little town and a nice stop for a couple of hours.

Oh yeah, they give free postcards showing geological areas. They must have overestimated demand when they put the order in at the printer.

Lyle
02-25-2008, 19:03
I'd heard reports that camping in the corridor (between Darlington Shelter and B.S.) was not allowed, so I didn't... even though it meant a long afternoon at Darlington shelter, in the rain.

That's the problem, no camping for what, 12 or 15 miles, something like that. If you start at Alex Kennedy (3 miles south of BS) you have a choice of an 18 mile day or a 3 mile day. Would be better to have another, reasonable option.

rafe
02-25-2008, 19:09
That's the problem, no camping for what, 12 or 15 miles, something like that. If you start at Alex Kennedy (3 miles south of BS) you have a choice of an 18 mile day or a 3 mile day. Would be better to have another, reasonable option.

It wouldn't be the only place on the trail with a 15-mile gap between shelters. Like I said, I found the "no camping in the corridor" rule to be a minor imposition. For a fit hiker, the distance 'tween Alex Kennedy and Darlington is an easy 18.

Lyle
02-25-2008, 19:30
It's doable no argument. And it's not just no shelters, it's no camping. It's only necessary because of poor PR and would be much better if there were other options. It's not like there is no good place suitable to camp in that stretch.

Anyway, this thread is about B.S. so this is off topic and the situation is what it is.

B.S. is a kinda pretty little town...

hopefulhiker
02-25-2008, 22:13
I liked Boiling Springs.. I went swimming in their great swimming pool, {with showers), stayed in the back yard of some bed and breakfast, ate at the pizzaria, saw the boiling springs and got a trail water report from the AT center and was on my way.. Charming town....

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 22:17
Thanks. Does it ever cover the rock?

No, it does creep up on it a bit more in high groundwater conditions (can sort of see a line on the stone wall, in this photo, especially if you've been there many times to know what to look for ;) )

ki0eh
02-25-2008, 22:18
The guy at the ATC HQ when I went through was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Funny, too. They had fuel there you could top off with on a donation-basis. Pretty darn good pizza at the pizza place, and soda by the pitcher. The fishing place was interesting, but not much there for hikers, socks maybe. Overall, an attractive little town and a nice stop for a couple of hours.

Oh yeah, they give free postcards showing geological areas. They must have overestimated demand when they put the order in at the printer.

Would that have been a fit but balding man with a white beard and a hearing aid who doesn't quite look you in the eye, by any chance?

elray
02-25-2008, 23:02
Stayed in Boiling Springs a couple of times and remember sleeping in a BB called Galinas Manor. Excellent lodging and a killer breakfast but she made me leave my pack on the porch. The eighteen miles to the North across the Valley is a flat doable walk even for out of shape section hikers like me.

Footslogger
02-25-2008, 23:05
Is there still a tenting area just before you come into town ?? I remember hiking through that area in 2003 but it looked a bit like a swamp and I decided to try my luck getting a place in town.

'Slogger

Cosmo Rules
02-26-2008, 00:12
Any where to park a car for a week?

BobS
02-26-2008, 09:35
Footslogger - Yes. As many posters have noted, it can be noisy. There's an at-grade RR crossing nearby, so trains blow their whistles at the crossing.

Cosmo - Yes. The AT passes through a large parking lot as it heads south out of town. Used mostly by fishermen, but hikers can park there. Stop in (9-5 weekdays) at or call (717-258-5771) the ATC office for a parking "permit". No fee, just helps keep track of whose cars are in the lot. Safe - no history of vandalism we're aware of.

TinAbbey
02-26-2008, 11:17
one plus is the post office is practically on the trail.

Blissful
02-26-2008, 13:53
We skipped Boiling Springs- no place good to stay. We stayed instead in the I 81 interchange area at a motel, and I also spent the night in the very expensive Carlisle Hospital (but that's another story)