PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Puffy from Costco

Hamb0ne
12-28-2017, 19:10
I always try to spend wisely on gear, and especially when I ask for something on my Christmas list.

This year I asked for a down puffy. My mom found a Gerry brand puffy at Costco and gave it to me for Christmas.

I know this is no North Face or Marmot, but is it a respectable piece of gear. I don’t really care if it’s one micromilligram heavier than a name brand, but if it’s 8 oz heavier that might sway my decision. Also don’t care if it’s warm to 27 deg vs the name brand being warm at 25 deg, but if it’s a 40 deg vs 20 deg for the same weight then that to make also sway my decision.

poptart17
12-28-2017, 20:10
I am not an experienced judge of gear but I did just happen to look at this today and thought it was a nice jacket. It did seem a little on the light side in terms of warmth but well made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time Zone
12-28-2017, 20:28
What is the decision to which you alluded? Whether to keep it?
FWIW, I too am inclined to carry something 20% heavier for an 80% reduction in cost. Or whatever it works out to be. Last year I snapped up some similar down-wear (jacket and vest) at Costco, 32 deg Heat brand, for dirt-cheap ($20 and maybe $12, respectively), and have been very happy with its performance and durability.

Gerry is, or was, a respected brand with a history. I remember having Gerry ski jackets back in the late 70s and early 80s.

That said, this year's offering - down jacket from Gerry for $30 - did not impress me. For one thing, it didn't come with a stuff sack, like the items I bought last year. For another, the jackets I saw all were showing insulation leakage. All down things lose feathers at one rate or another, but I've seldom seen a new down item on display showing so many feathers poking out. I took a pass. BTW, these things are not, IMO, the kind of thing you'd rely on to keep you warm in winter. They are down, but they're very thin and light. They're better viewed as an ultra-light, cool-weather layer, for dry weather only. A substitute for lightweight fleece.

Now, Costco also was selling a heavier down jacket by the Spyder brand. It cost about double ($50-60, I forget) and that may well keep you warm down to 32F (assuming minimal activity). IDK how well it packs up but (depending on how the gift-giver would take it) you might want to consider returning the Gerry and applying the proceeds to the Spyder jacket. Depending on what you need and want. I wouldn't hike in either.

Deadeye
12-28-2017, 20:53
I still have my circa 1969 Gerry sleeping bag - it was very good stuff back then.

saltysack
12-28-2017, 23:09
My dog uses a modified Costco down vest as a sleeping bag...I’d guess it’s fine to about 45*-50* over a light base layer as I wore it a few times before modifying it. Theres no comparing it to my Montbell UL down parka or anorak.....If it’s layered over and under appropriate layers it’s fine...you get what you pay for though.....~$20 it’s OK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
12-28-2017, 23:13
Disregard my post...just noticed not same jacket had been selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

staugy
01-08-2018, 12:11
ill need to try out

grubbster
01-08-2018, 12:21
ill need to try out
30 posts in less than 30 minutes? Looking forward to your "for sale" post.:-?

Feral Bill
01-08-2018, 22:30
I'm pretty sure someone bought the Gerry name and logo, and have no other connection with the Gerry of old. They did have good gear, worth looking for on Ebay.

Carl7
01-09-2018, 20:37
I have the $29.99 Gerry down jacket. It's OK for what it is, but is not cut out for the AT in cold conditions. Standing around at 40 degrees would be pushing it hard. I use it for mild weather day hikes or as a mid-layer if its really cold. I would rather sweat all over a $30 jacket for everyday use than my nicer jackets. It does leak a little down, but it's cheap but well made for the price. They call it a down sweater, and that pretty much sums it up.

Night Train
01-11-2018, 10:28
I look forward to the "Costco puffy sale" thread, every year. Never disappointed.

JJ505
01-11-2018, 17:53
I've got one of them they sell at Cosco (and also Amazon) on the label 32 degrees. It has a hood. I've found it warm to about 32 degrees with some basic layering. (I tend to be on the cold side), though it hasn't been much colder than that here. It was $55 I think on Amazon, and I think they are cheaper at Costco.

@Night train: yep, I looked thru the archives, and sure enough Costco down jackets figure prominently. :)