PDA

View Full Version : First Net is going to change Cell Coverage on the AT

peakbagger
12-29-2017, 09:55
Some folks may be aware of the First Net emergency communications system being implemented across the country. It was created as during 911 and other big disasters that the emergency services couldn't talk with each other due to different frequencies and technologies and the cell phone networks would rapidly get overwhelmed. First Net sets up a priority cell phone network where authorized users are given priority access to the cell network. Essentially what happens is regular cell traffic is curtailed or shut off to free up space for emergency services during emergencies. (note there are big brother debates about this option but I will let others discuss the conspiracy aspects) ATT has the lucrative government contract for all the states. ATT coverage has been known to be poor to nonexistent in the more rural areas along the AT especially in Maine and Northern NH. Even where there is ATT coverage, its frequently contracted to a third party which limits third party resellers that hang off the ATT network. Under First Net ATT has to have control over the network so they will be installing far more ATT antennas instead of third party. One thing ATT has to guarantee is coverage over entire states including rural areas so they are going to be deploying a lot of new towers. In NH that means 48 more towers spread over the state. I expect in Maine the numbers will be much higher.

I have not seen a deployment schedule but expect that ATT and its hangers on will start to be a lot more viable for AT and long distance hikers in general once the build out is complete.

Note there is down side to this in that since these towers go in under the auspices of state approved emergency services, local permitting is ignored and eminent domain is possible on protected lands to allow towers to be built where previously they could not be built. It has already happened in the past in NH where a summit protected by private funds and put in long term conservation easement preventing development had a state built radio tower built on it under the guise of "emergency services".

Slo-go'en
12-29-2017, 12:23
I guess my neighbor who does cell site prep will have plenty of work for a while. But didn't our governor reject implementing First Net in NH?

Dogwood
12-29-2017, 12:44
Well, that was some insight Peakbagger.

peakbagger
12-29-2017, 14:20
I guess my neighbor who does cell site prep will have plenty of work for a while. But didn't our governor reject implementing First Net in NH?

Nope, he changed his mind last minute and went in with ATT.

staugy
01-08-2018, 12:10
thanks for the input

zelph
01-08-2018, 13:35
Thank you! very interesting.

Starchild
01-08-2018, 13:42
Do you have a reputable link?

rocketsocks
01-08-2018, 13:57
When the poo poo hits the fan (and it will) cell service will be the least of the worries. Do yourself a favor and decide today, right now, what level of comfort you’ll except, since your options will be limited, here’s a few I like as a jumping off point, food and water, cold weather gear, medicines if ya can. Good luck, don’t rely on our government to help much...help yo-sef, start today.

Over...

tommaloney
01-08-2018, 14:11
http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=First+Responder+Network

Sorry, couldn't resist.