PDA

View Full Version : making my trekking poles permanent

LazyLightning
12-29-2017, 11:18
yea I've had enough with the slipping, I'm putting 2 screws in each adjustable connecter to make my poles permanent at the height I like them.

My thoughts are.... I never adjust the height on my poles, I like them the same for ups, downs and everything in between - I may just use them a little different like palming mostly for downhill but I like the same height. I got my poles in May and hiking every weekend I'd say there in my hands 98-99% of the time. Even if I do a road walk and I'm not using them I'll just hang onto them and then with the wrist straps I have them on and dangling as I take pictures, smoke my pipe, eat a snack, ect. If I needed to strap them on my bag I still could vertically, I have them a little over 3 feet which is about up to my hips. I don't see me ever strapping them to my bag as I love them and use them constantly while hiking. I think I'd rather compromise the adjustable factor to make 100% no slip issues and not worry about it.

I have the Fizan 'compact 4 (169 grams)' trekking poles and it took months before they slipped at all and it's not that they constantly do. It looked like it was only the lower connection so I screwed that one but I noticed a little more this weekend so I think I'm just gonna put screws in all the connections now. I don't go crazy putting all my weight and hammering the things either - plus I'm a light, skinny guy. I think it mainly happens when the poles come down on a rock or something and it doesn't have any give like in the ground... but still I'm not excessively smashing them into rocks or anything - I'm not using any more force then the first few months with no slipping. I pretty much just try to even out the load between my legs and my arms with the poles.

Any thoughts or concerns this might cause besides losing the adjustable factor?

Gambit McCrae
12-29-2017, 11:31
My first thought is the warranty goes right out the window. I don't have slipping issues with my komperdells but they DO have this "wobble" feel even when they are fully tightened. When I was in CT-PA for 2 weeks in October I couldn't stand it for more then the first 15 miles and found a straight stick, split it in half and used my leuko tape to make a tight splint. It worked for 230 miles until the end of my trip.. I named that pole crutchfield and put stickers all over it as we passed thru towns along the way...So when I got to the airport and didn't want to fold crutchfield up it ended up fitting just fine in the overhead compartment of the airplane. I mention this because if you put screws in the sections of the pole, airline travel MAY be an issue....What about using the pipe clamps like pictured below instead that could then be unscrewed with a penny? this would make them travel friendly, as well as not faulting the warranty/ structural integrity of the aluminum. They come in pretty small to much larger sizes then you need.

Uncle Joe
12-29-2017, 11:52
I don't use twist-lock poles for that reason. They just seem like they would be prone to slippage.

LazyLightning
12-29-2017, 12:06
thanks for the advice. I kind of voided the warranty already by screwing the lower connection, I wasn't even thinking about that. Also I plan on renting a car and driving so I don't have to worry about the plane. The clamp sounds like a good idea but do you think those will hold up enough to not have to worry about slipping?

These are the first poles I've used and I'm actually surprised they held up this good. That twist-lock connection had me worried from the beginning especially being a plastic expanding component. They are very light and very strong for the weight though. I'll probably look into some better ones but set these ones in place for now.

TexasBob
12-29-2017, 12:10
Have you tried cleaning the sections? Sometimes that helps.

Gambit McCrae
12-29-2017, 12:14
thanks for the advice. I kind of voided the warranty already by screwing the lower connection, I wasn't even thinking about that. Also I plan on renting a car and driving so I don't have to worry about the plane. The clamp sounds like a good idea but do you think those will hold up enough to not have to worry about slipping?

These are the first poles I've used and I'm actually surprised they held up this good. That twist-lock connection had me worried from the beginning especially being a plastic expanding component. They are very light and very strong for the weight though. I'll probably look into some better ones but set these ones in place for now.

If you tighten those hose clamps down they wont slide. You can use those clamps on garden hose ends doing repair jobs, you can tighten them so tight on garden hose they will cut thru the hosing if your not careful.

Slo-go'en
12-29-2017, 12:15
I had a pair of cheap SwissGear poles which I fixed with a screw through the pole. The only problem was the end of the screw could catch on my pants. Maybe a sheet metal screw which didn't go all the way through the pole instead of a machine screw and nut would have been better.

However, having fixed length poles wouldn't do me any good now. I need to re-adjust the length of my poles in order to set up my tent. I often travel to the trail via bus and train, so I have to collapse the poles to transport them. I also like to collapse them when hitch hiking so their easier to get into the car with. I like to have one pole slightly shorter on the up hill side while hiking along the side of a hill.

Having the poles slip and collapse is a pain, but if you remember to tighten them up every so often during the day, that helps.

Sarcasm the elf
12-29-2017, 12:18
Have you considered selling them and purchasing fixed length poles?

Adjustable poles require a number of design compromises in order to allow them to adjust their length, if it's not a feature you need then it may he worth getting rid of it all together. Fixed length poles are often lighter and cheaper and they should also be stronger and more reliable since they have less complexity and potential failure points.

nsherry61
12-29-2017, 12:35
Also, with time, if there is any movement in the joint, like slippage forces, the screw hole will probably eventually round out and start being loose, even if not slipping in overall length.

Deacon
12-29-2017, 13:40
All I’ve ever had are the Black Diamond Ergo Cork with flick locks. I’ve used them for four years and never had a slip issue. I even oil the screw that holds the lock, so it won’t rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

saltysack
12-29-2017, 13:55
All I’ve ever had are the Black Diamond Ergo Cork with flick locks. I’ve used them for four years and never had a slip issue. I even oil the screw that holds the lock, so it won’t rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1...my son has those and I’ve got std BD alpine carbon cork...I’m 220lbs and have put some serious weight on them with no issues...save my arse on every trip....no pun intended...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leo L.
12-29-2017, 14:38
I once had a set of poles that slipped a lot, and fixed them by applying a generous amount of superglue.
It might also help to wind several layers of tape to the thinner part of the joint.

Using a hose clamp, as mentioned above, would be a very obvious solution, but might bring some danger of catching the trousers while walking.

JJ505
12-29-2017, 19:28
I got some of those cheap Cascade Trekking poles. Very hard to tighten, imo. I might use the pipe clamp idea (though not sure if they might get catch your pants--I walk in long pants, nearly always?), but it's worth a try. I also like that you can undo it, since I will travel with them. Haven't tried taking apart and cleaning, nor contacting the company). Hasn't been that bad I guess.

lonehiker
12-30-2017, 09:12
My only concern would be if you should ever hitch. It is really convenient to collapse the poles so that they fit where every you may have to put them when someone picks you up.

Tipi Walter
12-30-2017, 10:34
My only concern would be if you should ever hitch. It is really convenient to collapse the poles so that they fit where every you may have to put them when someone picks you up.

Very true. I always shorten and pack away my hiking pole when I'm hitching.

Cheyou
12-30-2017, 10:41
I would repair them correctly

Snowleopard
12-30-2017, 18:27
You could make a pair of fixed length poles pretty cheaply. Look on ebay for carbon golf club shafts of the longest length you can find. Use Black Diamond tip replacements and foam fishing pole grips and end covers (perhaps get cork pole end covers, last longer). I've made two pair like this and they work pretty well and are very light.

nsherry61
12-30-2017, 22:21
I've never tried it for this, but the gritty carbon prep material that we use on carbon fiber bicycle seat posts, (and aluminum posts that keep slipping) might work pretty well on trekking poles if you are just too cheap to buy some decent ones that don't slip to start with. Of course, carbon prep isn't all that cheep, but it is cheeper than a new set of poles.

rocketsocks
12-30-2017, 23:00
I pinned my twist locks with a small clevis from the big orange store.

cmoulder
12-31-2017, 08:35
Snowleopard's recommendation to use golf shafts is excellent. You can order Black Diamond (or other) pole tips separately, and use Gossamer Gear grips or modify some fishing pole grips available from places like Mudhole, etc.

In addition to golf shafts, you can also make them from carbon fiber tubes sold on ebay from various vendors in China. I've used 13mm OD x 11mm ID for the main tubes with 11mm OD for a joining ferrule to make 2-piece, fixed-length poles. I got fancy and used some balsa plugs and shock cord to join them together, but that isn't really necessary... more for convenience. These poles weigh right at 4 oz each, and it is indeed very convenient to be able to fold them for transport.

I tried various strategies for connecting the sections and the best yet IME is heavy-duty, sticky-back Velcro.

bamboo bob
12-31-2017, 11:41
You can get American made bamboo poles that are lite and fixed. Keep in mind that they can't be carry on for air ravel.

JJ505
12-31-2017, 12:23
You can get American made bamboo poles that are lite and fixed. Keep in mind that they can't be carry on for air ravel.

I made a hiking stick out of bamboo and it was not especially light, and I bought one made of sassafras, very light, but carbon fiber is MUCH lighter. I can't always use both trekking poles--but the weight is definitely better and easier. But you are definitely right, you aren't getting on any plane with them.

Tipi Walter
12-31-2017, 12:26

I made my own bamboo hiking stick years ago using a bicycle grip and a rubber cane bottom. I think I have some pics of it---

Here is Little Mitten on the South Fork trail showing my bamboo stick on the left and my homemade (and painted stick) on the right. (Wrapped with spare duct tape of course).

This pic shows my bamboo stick at the beginning of the Nutbuster trail in Slickrock wilderness.

Hiking sticks in action!! Me holding bamboo and Mitten with a homemade stick.

LazyLightning
12-31-2017, 12:27
thanks for all the advice, I'm going to make this pair permanent since I already started the process but I'm looking into some new collapsible ones for the AT as hitching is a valid point. I may look into a set of fixed poles in the future for shorter hikes after my thru.

right now I'm liking the Black Diamond 'Trail Pro' poles

JJ505
12-31-2017, 19:22
Foldable ones are nice (scary sometimes with how they "jump" into position), nice and packable, but of course, you have to get them sized properly.

saltysack
01-01-2018, 01:56
thanks for all the advice, I'm going to make this pair permanent since I already started the process but I'm looking into some new collapsible ones for the AT as hitching is a valid point. I may look into a set of fixed poles in the future for shorter hikes after my thru.

right now I'm liking the Black Diamond 'Trail Pro' poles

Stay away from the carbon BD Z poles if your a bigger guy...I snapped one on first trip several years ago.....very happy w BD carbon corks w flick locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowleopard
01-01-2018, 15:29
Very nice, cmoulder. Bamboo poles used to be standard for cross country ski poles and they were pretty light and strong. My poles from carbon golf shafts are very light; if you're heavy or often put lots of weight on them I don't know if they are strong enough. cmoulders look stronger. Also, if you're tall it is hard to find golf shafts long enough.

McPick
01-03-2018, 22:19
I use an old pair of Scott ski poles with breakaway grips that I've had since I was a kid. They are bomb proof. They've got miles and miles on the slopes and later in life, miles and miles on the trails. I like the breakaway grips because I often hike with my hands gripping the tops of the poles and letting the poles pivot forward on my little fingers. (Also a cinch to hang on tree limbs, etc.)

I added landscaping sprinkler system male adapters to the ends. (either 1/2" or 3/4"... can't remember 'cause I put them on prior to my 2006 AT hike. They've been on ever since.) I slipped on Waxman-type rubber chair or table leg tips over the threaded ends. They were fine except on wet leaves or ice, but they wore out rather quickly on rocky trails.

Then one day, years ago, I found an old pair of crutches. The rubber tips (boots) were brand new. I stuck them on the ends on my Scott's. It's true that I haven't hiked the miles I did in the past, but those durable boots are still on there and still in very good shape. They are made to take a beating.

Ski poles are obviously not collapsible, but I've never encountered a problem getting them anywhere. I certainly admit that they are heavier than the poles of today's standards. So? I also say honestly that they have never once failed me... Like when vaulting over those streams that are just a bit too wide to jump across, or putting all my weight on one of them as I crawl down off of steep ledge, etc.

I have purchased a number of the big-box store poles for example, for elderly friends to keep in their cars for when it's icy, and for others going on day hikes with me. They're fine. But when I'm going hiking, I take my Scott's... I don't leave home without them.

Starchild
01-04-2018, 13:04
About 'voiding the warrantee' A couple of times I had to make field repairs on such gear that failed. I never had a issue returning it saying that it was done as a field repair. It actually is more evidence of the failure that such a corrective effort had to be used to make it work because of their faulty product.

cmoulder
01-04-2018, 15:14
About 'voiding the warrantee' A couple of times I had to make field repairs on such gear that failed. I never had a issue returning it saying that it was done as a field repair. It actually is more evidence of the failure that such a corrective effort had to be used to make it work because of their faulty product.

Same here, and I rarely let a warranty stand in the way of modifying a product to better suit my preferences.

blw2
01-05-2018, 08:16
My wife's uncle gave us some hiking sticks a few years back, that he made from saguaro cactus wood. failrly light and flexible for what they are. Prob similar to bamboo......but probably not what the OP was after.

i'd think the golf shaft idea is probably the lightest option.