PDA

View Full Version : Springer to NOC

Zip
02-09-2006, 00:45
I am wanting to do a two week hike. I have never hiked this many days back to back. I'm 51 years old and this past year hiked from NOC to Fontana and loved it. I went back later and hiked from Springer to Amicalola. I'm now considering hiking from Springer to NOC and am in the planning stage. That's where I need help. I am wondering if I could do this with one stop in town. If so where should I stop and for how long? I'm thinking on this terrian I could easily do 10 miles a day so 14 days should be enough but I had considered trying to do it in 11. Since I haven't hiked these many days together I am wondering if I may get slower as the days go by. I'm thnking about leaving around mid April. I would greatly appreaciate any and all suggestions. Thanks Rick

fiddlehead
02-09-2006, 01:32
I think it's always a good idea to ship yourself a box to Neals Gap (around mile 30)
and Hiawasee GA would be my choice of a town stop.
But you already have hiked this section so i'm not sure why you are asking.
Your miles depend on you and your body and your head.
As they say here in Thailand: UP TO YOU!
have fun.

fiddlehead
02-09-2006, 01:34
OH sorry, i thought you said springer to Fontana but you said noc to fontana. (above)
Springer to NOC is a great section to do. A bit rough but about the same as NOC to Fontana, just longer.
No need to carry big loads that time of year. there should be lots of water and warm temps.

Sly
02-09-2006, 01:51
As Fiddlehead pointed out you could easily resupply at Neels Gap since it's right on the trail and Hiawassee being the approximate midpoint. Personally I like doing a short day into town and spending the night if I have the time and money or hiking out a few more miles.

Rather than slowing down you should feel a little stronger after a few days. If you're ahead of schedule you may even consider stopping in Franklin.

Zip
02-10-2006, 21:56
I'm wondering if I could resupply at Neels Gap with enough food to make it to NOC.

Sly
02-10-2006, 23:06
I'm wondering if I could resupply at Neels Gap with enough food to make it to NOC.

Well, what is it? About 110 miles or 8-10 days and 16-20 lbs food weight on average. Of course, it will get easier but, the 1st few days will be that much more strenuous.

Hiawassee is a pretty good town to visit and it should be buzzing with hiker activity. If you stay at Deep Gap Shelter it's only 3.6 miles to Deep Creek Gap. You'll probably get a ride into town within 20 minutes.

Just think about carrying an extra 10-12 lbs for 45 miles over the mountains of northern Georgia needlessly. If you don't, you're knees will likely remind you.

Regardless of your strategy, have a great hike!

Zip
02-18-2006, 10:47
Thanks Sly, I'm going to take your advice about going into Hiwassee. I know my knees would appreciate it. :) Would you by any chance know how far it is from Deep Creek Gap to Hiwassee? I appreciate your help!! Rick

MarcnNJ
02-18-2006, 10:53
11 miles to Hiawassee from Dicks Creek Gap

Turbo Joe
02-18-2006, 11:51
i would plan on stopping in hiawasse because there are two places if my memory serves me that you can go ther from... unicoi gap and dicks creeck gap so you can get to one and decided if you want to go into town then or later... don't stay at the holiday inn in hiawasse rooms are 60 a piece no matter the size of your party

Burn
02-18-2006, 12:44
don't forget franklin NC is a fair resupply town i think it is before NOC....of course it is....what am i thinking....man the mind waunders. You can hit in right from winding stair gap and back in relatively a short time....tho not as quickly as other towns such as hiawassi. i got a hitch into franklin from Rock Gap back in 04 about 4 miles short of the main road....getting back to rock gap was harder than winding stair....but was done...so anything on trail is possible.

food resupply i would use,

neels gap day 3or4
hiawassi day 6 or 7
franklin day 10 or 11
NOC day 13 or 15

i love the fact you can resupply every 2 to 4 days in the south

Ridge
02-18-2006, 14:52
I would consider hiding a cache or 2 of supplies somewhere between the two points, you can bear bag them or bury or cover with rocks. Taking a detour into town will just take up time. Also, it'll be cheaper and you'll already know what you got.

Sly
02-18-2006, 17:40
Some people like to stay out of towns, I like to go in them. To me, meeting a few locals, spreading the wealth and talking up the trail is part of the hike.

I haven't been to the Hiawassee Inn but I thought the Holiday Inn was great. The rooms are tremendous and they have a serious breakfast bar, or did.

Zip, don't worry too much about the 11 mile hitch, it's pretty easy. If you see a car pulled over in the parking area, just explain what you're doing and ask if they can give you a lift.