PDA

View Full Version : Forefoot Pain: Morton's Neuroma

Bravefoot
02-09-2006, 06:25
Been running for years. One year, developed intense pain in the ball of my left foot while running. Took off running shoes and massaged foot between 2d and 3d toes. Pain disappeared. Went to Dr who confirmed Morton's Neuroma, a swelling of the nerve between the 2d and 3d metatarsals caused by the toes constantly rubbing together during running/hiking. Tried cortisone shots to no avail. Eventually had to have the nerve cut out. Never had a problem with that foot ever again.

Now I'm geting ready to thru-hike the AT in March, 2006, and I'm feeling pain in the other forefoot(to the extent I had to take 2 Alleves to finish a 24-miler the other day), and paranoid that it's Morton's Neuroma coming to greet that foot as well. Question is: Has anyone had luck with orthotics or footpads, specifically to alleviate forefoot pain, and if so, what types/brands have been best?

SteveJ
02-09-2006, 08:42
Has anyone had luck with orthotics or footpads, specifically to alleviate forefoot pain, and if so, what types/brands have been best?

Ouch, Bravefoot. I feel your pain! About 10 years I developed the same pain you're talking about. My orthopod diagnosed morton's neuroma. 1st thing my orthopod suggested was custom-made insoles. I've used them ever since - won't leave the house without them being under the insole of whatever shoe/boot I'm using. The one on the foot with the neuroma has a built in metatarsal pad that presses up against the neuroma. When I wear this, just walking around, running, or hiking, I'm not awareof the neuroma being there. If I don't wear it, it soon makes itself known.

The key to me has beenhaving a custom-fitted ortho insert that has the metartasal pad fitted to my foot. I've needed no other medical intervention.....

Best wishes!

Steve

Smile
02-09-2006, 08:43
Superfeet are terrific, help a variety of ped. maladies. You can get them custom fitted/molded at many outfitters, they have usually one person who has taken the course on how to do this.http://www.superfeet.com

Newb
02-09-2006, 09:26
I suggest Jack Daniels special Foot Tonic...I think it's Old. Number 7...

peter_pan
02-09-2006, 09:32
I have neuomas in both feet also... cortizone shots help in my case...superfeet help....the custom fitted support is the key to recovery without surgery.

BTW, this condition is often found in minor degrees...if it is known and understood it is not scary and can often be delt with by a shot or orthopedic inserts....

For me the first sign several years ago was a feeling that the socks were bunching up under the area between the ball of the foot and the toes...when I checked they were not... I mentioned it during an annual physical...got referred to a pediotrist, was diagonosed...got a shot and hiked 650 miles a month later...

Lesson learned...discuss the seemingly small stuff with your doc during a physical... especially if passed 50.

Pan

icemanat95
02-09-2006, 10:06
My wife's got them. Custom made orthotics and careful choice of footwear are her solutions. Any tendancy in your footwear to squeeze your toes together is a BAD thing with Morton's Neuromas. Good orthotics are going to cost you 350.00 plus every year or so. For a thru-hike I'd strongly consider having a spare pair handy at the halfway point, or even getting re-fitted after a month or so on the trail to have a new set made for you (sometimes the feet change during a hike.

AbeHikes
02-09-2006, 10:40
Had mine cut out. Was in the US Marines when I developed on in my left foot between my 2nd and 3rd metatarsals. USMC gave me $12K to go home in '92. Went to a podiatrist the next year to have it done and my wife's insurance paid for it. Outpatient in the doc's office. Total cost was about $700. Laid up for about 2 weeks. Light running in 2 months. The only time I feel the tissue stretch now is around 12-15 miles.

gravityman
02-09-2006, 13:58
Been running for years. One year, developed intense pain in the ball of my left foot while running. Took off running shoes and massaged foot between 2d and 3d toes. Pain disappeared. Went to Dr who confirmed Morton's Neuroma, a swelling of the nerve between the 2d and 3d metatarsals caused by the toes constantly rubbing together during running/hiking. Tried cortisone shots to no avail. Eventually had to have the nerve cut out. Never had a problem with that foot ever again.

Now I'm geting ready to thru-hike the AT in March, 2006, and I'm feeling pain in the other forefoot(to the extent I had to take 2 Alleves to finish a 24-miler the other day), and paranoid that it's Morton's Neuroma coming to greet that foot as well. Question is: Has anyone had luck with orthotics or footpads, specifically to alleviate forefoot pain, and if so, what types/brands have been best?

Wife developed it on the trail in 2001. Main contributor to leaving the trail in Harper's Ferry. She got custom Orthotics with a Metatarsal pad (although I have heard good things about Lyncos L405 inserts with the met pad. Check out www.footrx.com) Trained for and ran a marathon in 2004 to see if they would prevent the problem, and it didn't appear. Hiked entire trail in 2005 and didn't have an issue. Actually, that's not entirely true. She did have some generalize forefoot pain that we were able to fix with padding (thick mole foam with a hole cut out for the ball of the foot. Helped relieve the pressure). This showed up in GA already, but we had it pretty well solved after a week.

2001 issue was most likely caused by shoes being too tight in the forefoot. Once the pain was there, we got new shoes, but it was too late since it was aggravated.

Gravity and Danger

Skidsteer
02-09-2006, 18:17
My wife has them in both feet, one is worse than the other. Tried everything: custom insoles, cortisone, alcohol schlerosing...nothing worked. She started hiking in Chacos and that made it painless enough to get her mileage up again-for about a year. Now the pain is as bad as ever.

She's down to the last option of getting them cut out, but since she's not hiking much these days because of a bad hip anyway, she's putting it off. But I fear it's inevitable.

Footslogger
02-09-2006, 18:37
I suggest Jack Daniels special Foot Tonic...I think it's Old. Number 7...
==================================
Maybe that's my secret. Been using old Jack Daniels tonic for years (medicinal purposes only, of course) and no sign of foot pain yet.

'Slogger

Fat Man Walking
03-02-2006, 20:01
Yes, Old Number 7!!!!

I kept it handy for years in case of a snake bite.
Of course, I kept a snake handy too!!!!:banana

weary
03-02-2006, 20:29
==================================
Maybe that's my secret. Been using old Jack Daniels tonic for years (medicinal purposes only, of course) and no sign of foot pain yet.
'Slogger
Well, I use Makers Mark and a 101 proof "pretty good" substitute. And, of course, 180-proof pure grain alcohol when I can find same. (never in the north)

But despite the sad omissions. (being a liberal I blame the failures of the capitalist system) I have yet to have a foot problem since the emergency room claimed gout was a staff infection, 13 years ago in Franklin, NC.

So 'slogger generics seem to work okay. Hmmm, Can $40 a bottle Makers Mark possibly be a generic? Questions? Questions? I need answers!

Weary