PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good UL hammock set up...

saltysack
01-01-2018, 01:34
I’ve only farted around with a ENO but seriously considering a hammock for my solo hiking and paddle trips. Anyone sleep with a small dog in the hammock? Most trips are in southeast from temp range of 20*-60* from Sept-April.

My go to ground quilt is a 20* EE Enigma std/wide which I assume would be fine for hammock use. Also have a JRB Sierra stealth 45*. I would need a hammock w suspension, net, tarp and UQ. I’m 5’11” 220lbs, I’ve looked at Dutch’s hammocks but not sure where to start.

Time Zone
01-01-2018, 02:02
You should peruse the forums at hammock forums dot net.

Hammocking is not easy for UL because of the various components you mention. Every part, I suspect, requires little more fabric than ground-dwelling, plus suspension. I'm not sure ENO is a UL hammock, but given your 220 lb weight and the prospect of a small dog too (I do know someone who does sleep with a small dog in a hammock), you may be wise to stick with it or something as robust to weight and claws.

Perhaps someone will let you borrow first, so you can see if it's really for you.

Southeast
01-01-2018, 02:23
They are having a huge hang in Ocala soon. If you could make that you’d see just about every Hammock there is. And hammock people like to talk about their gear so they’d share. Hammockforums has the details on ‘Hangcon’.

Southeast
01-01-2018, 02:24
And I forgot to mention my beagle sleeps in the hammock with me. So yes it’s definitely possible though probably depends on the dog and how you sleep as to how comfortable it would be.

Highland Goat
01-01-2018, 08:38
Some of the asymmetrical designs that Hennessy offers may provide more room for a dog. It is a different style of sleeping than a normal hammock, so you may want to borrow one to test.

Shrewd
01-01-2018, 12:30
You can go light with a hammock, but probably lighter with a tent set up if you go the minimal/cuben fiber way.

I actually think the comfort of a hammock is worth whatever weight penalty.
I carried and slept in a warbonnet Blackbird XLC for the entire Appalachian trail and loved it. I think I was happier overall than most of my tenting buddies, but I was pretty light weight.

Definitely check out hammockforums and take a peek on YouTube at Shug Emery’s channel.

Also; https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/thru-hiking-appalachian-trail-hammock/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vanhalo
01-01-2018, 19:43
You can go light with a hammock, but probably lighter with a tent set up if you go the minimal/cuben fiber way.

I actually think the comfort of a hammock is worth whatever weight penalty.
I carried and slept in a warbonnet Blackbird XLC for the entire Appalachian trail and loved it. I think I was happier overall than most of my tenting buddies, but I was pretty light weight.

Definitely check out hammockforums and take a peek on YouTube at Shug Emery’s channel.

Also; https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/thru-hiking-appalachian-trail-hammock/

Same here....got the hiking bug via Shug...never appealed to me before I met Mr. Hammock.

Venchka
01-01-2018, 20:52
Just Bill here at WhiteBlaze is working hard on a line of bridge hammocks that might meet both of your requirements: Lightweight and dog friendly. Give him a shout.
Wayne

Cheyou
01-02-2018, 08:41
Simply light. great gear custom made great price. Utube simply light .

Thom

ggreaves
01-02-2018, 12:25
I’ve only farted around with a ENO but seriously considering a hammock for my solo hiking and paddle trips. Anyone sleep with a small dog in the hammock? Most trips are in southeast from temp range of 20*-60* from Sept-April.

My go to ground quilt is a 20* EE Enigma std/wide which I assume would be fine for hammock use. Also have a JRB Sierra stealth 45*. I would need a hammock w suspension, net, tarp and UQ. I’m 5’11” 220lbs, I’ve looked at Dutch’s hammocks but not sure where to start.

Dutch hammocks are a great place to start (and end). And you won't find as many suspension options anyplace else.

Vanhalo
01-02-2018, 13:21
Simply light. great gear custom made great price. Utube simply light .

Thom

Jared ships really quick too.

Everything is custom to order.

Cheyou
01-02-2018, 14:31
Jared ships really quick too.

Everything is custom to order.

I orderd I hammock New Year’s Day for my daughter. He built and shipped the same day. That was my 3 order from him . Crazy fast

thom

BobTheBuilder
01-02-2018, 15:42
You might be surprised on the weight thing. My Warbonnet Blackbird, tarp, down underquilt, down topquilt, and stakes are actually a couple of ounces less than my Tarp Tent, down bag, inflatable pad, and tent stakes. Until I got a kitchen scale I never realized.

Vanhalo
01-02-2018, 17:29
You might be surprised on the weight thing. My Warbonnet Blackbird, tarp, down underquilt, down topquilt, and stakes are actually a couple of ounces less than my Tarp Tent, down bag, inflatable pad, and tent stakes. Until I got a kitchen scale I never realized.

under 7lbs.for a 30° setup depending on empty pack weight +/-

Time Zone
01-02-2018, 18:20
Every part, I suspect, requires little more fabric than ground-dwelling, plus suspension.

That was supposed to read, "... requires a little more fabric ..."

Anyway, just to throw out an example, here's the best I can do as far as UL hammock setup with what I already own:

Grand Trunk UL Hammock (250 lb weight limit, I think): 10.4 oz (hooks removed; I use sheet bend)
Teton Poncho Tarp: 12.1 oz
Dutchware Tree Straps (15 ft): 6.8 oz
UST bugnet (head only): 0.4 oz

Right there you've got 29.7 oz. You could probably get it down to 25.7 oz. by going with a silnylon poncho tarp instead of the PU-coated ripstop one I have. You could go with 12' straps and drop an ounce. The GT nano 7 hammock might work for you too, shaving another 3 oz or so. Now you're at around 22 oz, not counting your insulation.

Feral Bill
01-02-2018, 19:34
Take a look at Dream Hammocks. They can get you into a hammock at well under a pound with netting and suspension. Add a light tarp and under quilt and off you go.

blue indian
01-02-2018, 20:32
Been sleeping in a hammock for years. I doubt I will go back to the ground unless im with the girlfriend. My baseweight is 6.5 lbs (without any cuben fiber). So its possible to go light with a hammock setup...

-Dream hammock (Darien, single layer)
-Warbonnet 3/4 20* underquilt
-Warbonnet edge tarp
- Golite 20* top quilt
- 4 groundhog stakes

Billy Goat
01-03-2018, 11:23
I use a netless hammock treated with permethrin and have never had any bug issues. I made it 11 ft with standard width 1.6oz HyperD. It with 8ft tree huggers, dutch clips, and 12 ft whoopies slings with (albeit very small) stainless steel whoopie hooks is 14.3 oz, if I remember correctly. I'm not exactly svelte, at 6'2" 230, so I prefer the security if a heavier weight fabric. I also have a Robic hybrid 10 footer that I made that I just use the same suspension with and it's around 11 or 12 oz, that I use only on ultralight trips. My 11ft hex tarp, cat cut, PU4000 poly tarp with 35ft zingit continuous ridgeline, dutch type flea and very tiny self made hook, with stakes and zing it guy lines, and aluminum tarp "worms" is less or right at a pound. My 20* TQ is 21 oz. 40*TQ is about a pound. My UQ, which is modular is a bit heavy because it's made of costco quilts, but the main body is about 20 oz and the snap in second layer adds about 10 oz more. Maybe not completely ultralight, but even in winter, I'm around 5 lbs. That is less than my tent, but it's a two man and that doesn't factor in a pad and quilt. Sure I can fit another person in the tent, but the comfort factor is exponential compared to ANY type of ultralight ground setup.

Cheers,
The Goat

TX Aggie
01-03-2018, 11:40
As has been mentioned, Hammock forums dot net is a very good sister site to White Blazes, you’ll find many of the same characters in both.

Hammocks are pretty individualistic, much more so than a tent, so you really need to try and meet up with others and see if you can try out different models. Group hangs are great for this.
As far as UL, you can get pretty damn close to being as light with a hammock as you can a tent. The bonus is you don’t have to look for a perfect plot of ground to pitch on. Slope? No problem. Uneven/rocky ground? Bring it on. Plus, you can put your shoes on while sitting upright, and in decent weather you can even stand inside your Shelter.

Good luck with your search.

JoeVogel
01-04-2018, 17:47
Dream Hammock LLC (https://www.dreamhammock.com/) makes some of the best hammocks and hammock set ups around for a very reasonable price. They are a small cottage co so they will work with you to make exactly what you need.

Dogwood
01-04-2018, 20:32
You should peruse the forums at hammock forums dot net.

Hammocking is not easy for UL because of the various components you mention. Every part, I suspect, requires little more fabric than ground-dwelling, plus suspension. I'm not sure ENO is a UL hammock, but given your 220 lb weight and the prospect of a small dog too (I do know someone who does sleep with a small dog in a hammock), you may be wise to stick with it or something as robust to weight and claws.

Perhaps someone will let you borrow first, so you can see if it's really for you.

Or, as most hangers with dogs do especially larger breeds let the dog sleep under or outside the hammock. Erect a small UL tarp, ground cloth, and perhaps some insulation for the dog separately. Where does the JRT lay when you're rockin the Duomid?

You can take whatever shelter path you want although perhaps it best to have a variety of shelter options depending on weather the JRT and/or son(he looks just like you) are along, lowest temps, etc.

Never slept in a hammock with a dog on a backpacking trip. I suspect I wouldn't want to with a active twitchy chaser high energy aggressive possessive breed like a JRT. Does your JRT like to dig? How would you handle the JRT's nighttime constitutional while in a hammock? Usually you can't allow them off leash in the open woods as they are super curious aggressive chasers of everything they see and hear.

You might begin by looking at Dutch's Chameleon, Dream Hammocks, and Hennessey Explorer Series.

saltysack
01-20-2018, 15:46
Or, as most hangers with dogs do especially larger breeds let the dog sleep under or outside the hammock. Erect a small UL tarp, ground cloth, and perhaps some insulation for the dog separately. Where does the JRT lay when you're rockin the Duomid?

You can take whatever shelter path you want although perhaps it best to have a variety of shelter options depending on weather the JRT and/or son(he looks just like you) are along, lowest temps, etc.

Never slept in a hammock with a dog on a backpacking trip. I suspect I wouldn't want to with a active twitchy chaser high energy aggressive possessive breed like a JRT. Does your JRT like to dig? How would you handle the JRT's nighttime constitutional while in a hammock? Usually you can't allow them off leash in the open woods as they are super curious aggressive chasers of everything they see and hear.

You might begin by looking at Dutch's Chameleon, Dream Hammocks, and Hennessey Explorer Series.

Forgot I posted this....planning to order a chameleon wide in 1.6 on Monday.....pup sleeps next to me in the duomid on a cut down zlite. He’s usually ready to hit the sack by time the mid is set up as he gets cold when we stop. I simply put him in his lil down bag and zip him up. He’s not much of a digger..thank god. So far haven’t had any issues with him popping zlite so figure hammock would be ok. He does fine off leash but just few weeks ago he did go after a flock of wild turkeys in Ocala NF glad wasn’t a bear. Just trying to figure out the whole suspension thing now......trying to keep it as simple and light as possible. I’m planning to keep the mid for when my son goes or out west. Hoping to get the wife to do the TMB this summer where I’d also take the mid. Thx

saltysack
01-20-2018, 17:06
Forgot I posted this....planning to order a chameleon wide in 1.6 on Monday.....pup sleeps next to me in the duomid on a cut down zlite. He’s usually ready to hit the sack by time the mid is set up as he gets cold when we stop. I simply put him in his lil down bag and zip him up. He’s not much of a digger..thank god. So far haven’t had any issues with him popping zlite so figure hammock would be ok. He does fine off leash but just few weeks ago he did go after a flock of wild turkeys in Ocala NF glad wasn’t a bear. Just trying to figure out the whole suspension thing now......trying to keep it as simple and light as possible. I’m planning to keep the mid for when my son goes or out west. Hoping to get the wife to do the TMB this summer where I’d also take the mid. Thx

Zlite