PDA

View Full Version : Coldest temp

stilllife
01-01-2018, 12:20
What's the coldest temp expected to experience on a NOBO starting mid April? I'm sitting here in Mississippi with a 10 degree windchill and can't imagine it being fun to hike in this.

egilbe
01-01-2018, 12:29
It is fun! It's the best time to hike. No bugs, no crowds.

egilbe
01-01-2018, 12:35

Good stuff

ldsailor
01-01-2018, 13:12
In 2016 I started at Springer on April 3. Some of the weather was quite nice for hiking. The only layers I had on were a long sleeve undershirt, shirt and Fleece. Most days the fleece came off by late morning. Temps were in the 50's and 60's during the day and nights were usually in the low 40's or high 30's. Of course there were some extremes. A number of nights, the temps got down into the low 30's and high 20's. The higher you go up in the mountains the colder it gets. The Smokies were quite cold for this Florida boy. There were a few days in the Smokies where I wore my windbreaker/rain jacket as another layer on top of the fleece and shirts.

In 2017 I continued my NOBO LASH in Virginia, which I started in May, so I didn't experience the April weather further south, but the hikers I talked to all mentioned the snow of which there was quite a bit, and there was more cold than what I experienced in 2016.

Hope that helps a bit.

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2018, 14:14
Erroring on the safe side? Plan for some actual overnight lows in the low 20°F's (record lows in May for Mt LeConte are in the high teens). Factor in wind and dampness. Everything you carry will likely be damp to some degree. Plan for the extremes, not the average temperatures (overnight lows in GSMNP in May can range from 20°F to 50°F). Don't expect to change out to warmer gear until Pearisburg, VA or further north. Being cold and not being able to get warm, especially when sleeping, REALLY sucks. Stay dry, stay warm.

Slo-go'en
01-01-2018, 15:49
20's is still possible, but any cold snap doesn't last long. Usually just one night/morning. I've done the GA-VA section a number of times starting at various times in April. Even with an April 1st start I never need more then a 30 degree bag, supplemented with a liner and base layers.

The real issue is how wet it is. Some years like last spring can be real rainy and although it wasn't real cold, just being damp to soaking wet for days on end is pretty miserable. Last year I was planning on again hiking from Springer to VA, but after a week in the rain and being stuffed up with tree pollen allergies resulting serious sleep depredation, I bailed at Hiawassee.

The real question how long will this seriously cold winter last? Will it linger well into spring with lower then average temps or will it suddenly get hot? It seems to me that winters are getting shorter, but more intense.

soumodeler
01-01-2018, 16:01
Ive generally seen lows of 20s in April, although there are definitely colder nights possible. Planning on a 20 degree low should be plenty. You should have enough warning of a cold spell to make alternate plans.

Grampie
01-01-2018, 19:06
What's the coldest temp expected to experience on a NOBO starting mid April? I'm sitting here in Mississippi with a 10 degree windchill and can't imagine it being fun to hike in this.

During my thru I spent a night at Ice Water Springs shelter, in the Smokey’s, where the temp went down to 8 degrees. I was using a 20 degree bag.

Slo-go'en
01-01-2018, 21:33
During my thru I spent a night at Ice Water Springs shelter, in the Smokey’s, where the temp went down to 8 degrees. I was using a 20 degree bag.

Yea, but was that in early May when the OP is likely to be there or much earlier in the season?

HooKooDooKu
01-01-2018, 23:49
I don't think it's reasonable to plan for the coldest the temperatures could possibly get. Seems more reasonable to plan for what is likely to happen, and if weather forecasts show extremes coming, then pause your hike for a few days.

I don't know what to expect later in the season as you get farther north, but hiking the southeast, it seems that the coldest place to expect is the Smokies. You should get there about the first of May. Looking at the charts that shows monthly averages for Clingman's Dome for April and May suggests the average night time low to be 39F. I know from experience that TYPICAL weather is +/- 10F with >+/-15F being unusual.

So what you should plan for is night time lows just below freezing.

BTW: An example of extremes that can happen... a few years ago I stayed at Ice Water Springs shelter on July 4th where the temperatures dipped into the upper 30s.

Christoph
01-02-2018, 12:10
I started my thru on April 11th, '17 and found everything from nice warm weather to 1 foot of snow. Not sure on the temps, but there were some wild swings. Prepare for everything, elevation changes make for some unpredictable moments.

George
01-02-2018, 20:15
for a mid april start I would go for a sleeping set up tested by you to be comfortable under 30 F (without clothes)

this would keep you "alive" under 20 F

reality: 4 out of 5 days in the first month you will be hiking some part of the day in t shirt and shorts

George
01-02-2018, 20:16

better than 95 no breeze and humid

rocketsocks
01-02-2018, 20:59
What's the coldest temp expected to experience on a NOBO starting mid April? I'm sitting here in Mississippi with a 10 degree windchill and can't imagine it being fun to hike in this.Dont know about April, but every US State recorded below freezing temperatures today.

Tipi Walter
01-02-2018, 22:12
Dont know about April, but every US State recorded below freezing temperatures today.

Got that right. I cowboy camped on the back porch last night and it got to about 5F outside my Puma bag---didn't even have to zip up the thing:) (Take careful note: ccf foam pad on top of inflatable is noticeably warmer).

Tonight I'll try a different and new Thermarest---the updated Trail Pro. Gotta keep up my winter chops for the next winter trip.

Slo-go'en
01-02-2018, 22:24
I bet there aren't any Jan 1 starters this year. If there are, they are in for a rough start!
Bet the Feb starters are starting to think twice about that plan too.

Tipi Walter
01-02-2018, 23:20
I bet there aren't any Jan 1 starters this year. If there are, they are in for a rough start!

I fondly remember pulling a 24 day backpacking trip in January 2014 and got hit by various storms and especially the polar vortex of 2014 etc. It was rough and I spent 3 days on Brookshire Creek on the BMT hunkered in until I felt like packing and moving on. See---

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/441816

To your point: When I got home I checked all the AT hikers on Trail Journals for January 6-8 and compiled a fairly long list of people who bailed and went into towns.

Oops, here's a pic from that wonderful time---

fiddlehead
01-03-2018, 02:40
Mid April is a great time to start a NOBO hike. IMO.
I would take a 20deg bag and a nalgene bottle in case I had to heat up the bag using the old "hot water bottle' trick. (and some extra fuel of course)
Have fun.

soumodeler
01-03-2018, 09:34
There was 1 that I know of and at least 2 more that started late December.

George
01-15-2018, 14:47

if you go by the lightning does not strike twice theory, then next year should be good for early starts

Jim Adams
02-23-2019, 01:26
In 2002 the 3rd week of May when hikers were leaving Trail Days both Damascugs and the Grayson Highlands were hit with an ice / snow storm and had temps in the 20's for a week.