PDA

View Full Version : If You're Crazy Please Identify Yourself

wordstew
01-04-2018, 11:12
How many crazy folks out there are by choice hiking in this extreme cold and the NorhtEast blizzard... please come forward.

I've been out and about my beagle however has much more sense than I and has chosen to go back to his warm and toasty bed after a brief outing for his daily constitution

LIhikers
01-04-2018, 11:14
I suspect all my walking today will be behind a snow shovel.

LIhikers
01-04-2018, 11:18
oh, and yes, I'm crazy.
At least that's what family and friends think.
After all who else goes out for days and weeks at a time without a daily shower and has to defecate in the woods

wordstew
01-04-2018, 11:19
I suspect all my walking today will be behind a snow shovel.

Snow shoveling counts if you have your pack on

Slo-go'en
01-04-2018, 11:34
oh, and yes, I'm crazy.
After all who else goes out for days and weeks at a time without a daily shower and has to defecate in the woods
Now that my water supply has frozen solid for foreseeable future, that will be me without even leaving the house! I also made the mistake of scheduling my car inspection for today. 10 degrees out and lightly snowing.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-04-2018, 11:48
I'm planning a snowshoe walk tonight once it clears.

tiptoe
01-04-2018, 11:53
I and my old husky were out earlier; she's now very sensiblt curled up on the couch. This storm is as advertised. I'll be out several more times today: to fill up the bird feeder, shovel, and maybe snowshoe a dog-walking path around the property.

sketcher709
01-04-2018, 12:08
Picture or it didn't happen. We have a 5 month old Portuguese Water Dog. there is no choice about at least a few mile, of leash hike/mad run every day. On a positive note, I had the trail all to myself. 41461

1azarus
01-04-2018, 12:30
I got to cross country ski to work today. Time to ski home for lunch soon. Then ski back this afternoon. Pretty sweet work situation, really...

Durunner
01-04-2018, 12:38
I would be if they gave me off work. Head to the local AT. We didn't get much here anyway.

Feral Bill
01-04-2018, 12:51
oh, and yes, I'm crazy.
At least that's what family and friends think.
After all who else goes out for days and weeks at a time without a daily shower and has to defecate in the woods A bear?.......

pesphoto
01-04-2018, 12:53
... i just layered up and went around the block, its nasty.

wordstew
01-04-2018, 14:02
The snow here appears to be taller than my Beagle

SouthMark
01-04-2018, 14:07
I am not crazy but I am a carrier!

tiptoe
01-04-2018, 14:12
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/opinion/in-case-of-blizzard-do-nothing.html

an old nyt op ed, trotted out again for the occasion

peakbagger
01-04-2018, 14:50
I have the gear and the ability but not the motivation to hike in below zero conditions these days. If the winds are calm and the hike has good sun exposure I may stretch the limits a bit. Once it gets up to 10 degrees I am usually good to go and do try to hike most weekends. I did the winter 4000 footer list by just being a fair weather hiker and be willing to cancel a hike. I always check the forecast from the Observatory before I head out in the morning in case it changed overnight. The folks who usually get in trouble are the one from outside the area that drive up on Friday based on forecast from Thursday night. I usually have three options planned in the AM, My primary choice if the conditions allow, a secondary trip to a place like Kearsage North with enclosed fire tower, or cancel the trip and wait for another good stretch. There sometimes can be real nice stretch of late winter weather in the whites in late February/early march and that is the time to call in sick and go wild when the snow pack is prime, the days longer and the suns hihger.

Sure staring into the face of incoming blizzard getting blown around on summit is definitely exciting but they can can turn life threatening quicky.

rocketsocks
01-04-2018, 15:33
Good day for cookin’ in the kitchen, prolly take a walk tonight after the winds die down.

Sarcasm the elf
01-04-2018, 16:21
Dang it, I'd planned on a dayhike, by the time I'm done shoveling it'll be dark and I'll be wiped out!

pesphoto
01-04-2018, 16:47
The weekend should make for some great hiking!

gpburdelljr
01-04-2018, 16:55
Anybody ever read “To Build a Fire” by Jack London? I get cold just thinking about that story.

Two more miles
01-04-2018, 16:55
Sub 0 temps. bring it on! We went on a day hike Monday. Had to get the first one for the year. It was -6 nice and toasty except our hands, still put down a few miles before we called it quits. So yes we are crazy in the Midwest also.

Slo-go'en
01-04-2018, 17:20
So long as conditions aren't horrible, I like hiking around in a snowstorm. It's very quiet and surreal. Even more fun at night, so long as you have a well defined trail to follow.

I think we'll get a good foot of new snow out of this here in the Northern Whites. The snow banks at the end of my driveway already look like they usually do in late March. No comparison to Eire, PA, but getting to be something to have to deal with soon.

This could be a nice hiking winter once the days start staying light later and the temps are a little more moderate. I'm with Peakbagger, anything less then 10 is getting a bit too chilly. Add any wind to that and you have double digit negatives.

Time to fix the bindings on my old wooden snowshoes. This is the kind of snow they were made for.

Sarcasm the elf
01-04-2018, 19:00
Anybody ever read “To Build a Fire” by Jack London? I get cold just thinking about that story.
My fifth grade teacher read that story out-loud to the class in the middle of winter and even opened the rooms giant windows to lower the temperature for added effect.

Sarcasm the elf
01-04-2018, 19:00
My fifth grade teacher read that story out-loud to the class in the middle of winter and even opened the rooms giant windows to lower the temperature for added effect.

nsherry61
01-04-2018, 20:53
No doubt, many people think I'm crazy. I did get my wife to climb a 4600 ft peak in the White Mountains yesterday (something she thinks is crazy), then we drove home to the Boston South Shore today during the blizzard, a three hour drive that took 5 hours. But, the most fun crazy I saw was the 1/2 nude topless man we passed as we were hiking down and he was hiking up, near the top, of the same peak my wife and I climbed yesterday. It was in the trees, but it was still only 10 degrees.