PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit

tawa
01-05-2018, 13:45
Does anyone have recommendations on a good first aid kit they use when they go on adventure/hiking/backpacking trip where they are the leader of the group?
I know I could go to Walmart/Target and buy the individual pieces etc. but would rather start out with a good one with everything in it and then replace the items I use.
What are some of the items you take that you normally don't find in a kit?
Thank you in advance.

Hatchet_1697
01-05-2018, 14:24
Check out this thread, it’s solo hiker focused but can be easily extrapolated to cover a larger group, and will need to account for any individuals’ unique needs (e.g. bee sting allergy).

First aid kit
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24664&share_tid=126154&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewhiteblaze%2Enet%2Fforum%2 Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D126154&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tawa
01-05-2018, 18:20
Thanks Hatchet. Exactly what I need.

HooKooDooKu
01-05-2018, 18:22
I much prefer to put my own First Aid Kit together... but you can't find all the small single use items you need from Walmart/Target.
Some outdoor outfitters sell some of these individual pieces, but the easier solution is minimus.biz (https://www.minimus.biz)
Shipping is free with a $20 order... and for that you can get a bunch of 1st aid supplies.

Here's a sampling of things I've ordered from them for my 1st Aid Kit

Blixtex Lip Ointment ($0.20ea)
Safetec Burn Gel ($0.13ea)
Safetec Sting Relief ($0.18ea)
Safetec Personal Antimicrobial Wipes ($0.12ea)
Safetec Benzalkonium Chloride Antiseptic Towelette ($0.06ea)
Safetec Triple Antibiotic Ointment ($0.14ea) (they also carry the neosproine namebrand, but it cost something like 5x)
Safetec Hydro-cortisone Cream (0.13ea)
Safetec Oral Pain Relief (0.14ea)

They also sell single dose packets of various OTC medications.

blw2
01-05-2018, 21:26
leader of a group... as in a scout troop perhaps?

A few years back I was cubmaster for a pack. In my case I wasn't concerned about size or weight. I chose to buy a store bought kit as a start to replace one we had that was long since expired from before my time. It was one of those fairly large box kits. I figured that as a CYA, the commercial kit would cover bases and maybe sorta take some liability off of us.... "well you should have had that in your kit"
I bolstered it with stuff that is most frequently used in a group like that.... extra band-aids, some basic meds like tylenol, & benedryl.

Qajaq
01-06-2018, 10:34
Some items I've found very useful in a first aid kit include;

5' of Duct tape for boot and gear repair, blister protection (I also taped up a mountain biker's broken finger with it over the summer, so he could ride out.)
Chapstick
Benadryl
Advil
Earplugs (to drown out noise when sleeping)
Anti-Monkey Butt powder (in a ziplock bag)
Hand sanitizer
Antiseptic wipes
Insect sting wipes
A GOOD pair of tweezers (to remove thorns, splinters, ticks)
Tick key
Band Aids
Neosporin
Gauze pads
Medical tape
Small Bic lighter
Space blanket (Which I've only used for improvised rain protection, but could also be used for an improvised ground cloth, tarp, pack cover, warmth, or signalling)

I've used all this stuff at one time or another; some of it regularly.

blw2
01-06-2018, 11:46
I've recently discovered KT tape. So much better than moleskin or any other medical tape I've ever tried......
doesn't seal but it sticks very well, can get wet, is very stretchy, great for holding on a bit of gauze or covering a hot spot.
I'll plan on keeping a few pieces in any 1st aid kit from now on....

DrL
01-06-2018, 20:15
I've recently discovered KT tape. So much better than moleskin or any other medical tape I've ever tried......
doesn't seal but it sticks very well, can get wet, is very stretchy, great for holding on a bit of gauze or covering a hot spot.
I'll plan on keeping a few pieces in any 1st aid kit from now on....
Cover-roll stretch tape is even better.

Highland Goat
01-08-2018, 08:15
I must recommend against off the shelf kits. Like all gear a First Aid Kit must change depending on the weather, terrain, and the like. This is especially the case for a trek leader. For example, the distance to the nearest hospital and the aggressiveness of a trek will determine whether I bring a chest seal.
In addition, depending on your locality, there may be regulations for administering over the counter medications.
Listed below is a group kit inventory for day hikes. Additional items will get added depending on the skill of the person administering first aid, group size, et cetera

CPR Barrier
nitrile gloves
biohazard bag
cold pack
2 triangular bandages
gauze, large
gauze, small
moleskin
2 large adhesive bandages
15 medium adhesive bandages
4 small adhesive bandages
elastic bandage