PDA

View Full Version : ZP Possum Down Gloves

Dogwood
01-06-2018, 19:57
Can anyone make an in field comparison between ZP's Possum Down gloves( I guess 50% merino 50% or so possum down?) and Smartwool Liner Gloves?

I already have the SW merino Liner gloves which are 45% merino 45% acrylic. They work fine as a casual liner. I've had two pr but as one reviewer stated I too have had durability issues where the fingers attach to the palm out on the trail. I typically use these type gloves as liners over a shell.

My main questions are performance related in these regards... Are the Possum Down gloves warmer?, more water resistant?, bulkier? Has anyone with some high degree of use had any durability issues as stated with the Possum down gloves.

Lastly, since I have very long fingers, anyone also with very long fingers use the Possum down gloves in XL? Or, can anyone offer their take on the finger length?

THX

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/possum_gloves.shtml

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/liner-gloves-sw0sc300

Franco
01-06-2018, 20:58
I don't know for sure about the ZP version but typically they have a 30% possum down, 60% Merino wool and 10% nylon.
Without the nylon bit they would be (probably...) too fragile .
I have 2 pairs (likely from the same NZ manufacturer)
They are light, very warm and yes I have had them fully wet without realising they were (I realised that onece when they were wetting my sleeping bag having them next to it)
They are not all that abrasion resistant so handle with care.

Dogwood
01-06-2018, 21:03
Thx Franco. Your input is always valued. :)

jjozgrunt
01-07-2018, 02:57
Used them last year on the AT, wet they keep your hands warm and are very warm if dry, can't use them without some sort of over glove/mitten for extended periods. I was using them on a wet cold day and after 8 hours with poles had holes in the palms of both. Good camp glove or if you don't use poles.

Franco
01-07-2018, 05:45
Thx Franco. Your input is always valued. :)
Thank you, I do try.
In fact my wife is fond of telling people just how trying I can be.

Traffic Jam
01-07-2018, 10:07
Possum-down fibers have a hollow core which creates an insulating layer. Continuous compression is going to damage the fibers.

The recommend ratio for blending possum down with other fibers is 5-45%. By blending at a higher ratio in attempts to make them sturdier, performance will be compromised.

Likewise, i suspect that sewing reinforcement to your garment will also compromise the performance of the possum-down, much like wearing too much clothing in a down sleeping bag.