PDA

View Full Version : Quilt temp for SoBo section

changed
01-08-2018, 11:30
Looking to do another LASH picking up where I left off on the border of CT and MA, heading south to Harper's Ferry in a proposed 30 day span.

Is a 40* quilt going to be warm enough in June? Here's my gear: https://lighterpack.com/r/fjxn6c

Thanks!

BuckeyeBill
01-11-2018, 16:55
I believe you will be ok.

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2018, 17:21
You will be fine.

Deacon
01-11-2018, 20:00
The comfort level of a quilt is quite different than a sleeping bag with the same temperature rating. Without going through rating numbers as others have already done on this site, I’ll just relay my own experience.

Ive found that no matter how tightly I tuck the edges of my quilt around me when I retire for the night, moving around in my sleep results in cool/cold air getting in.

I’ve tried a 40* quilt, was uncomfortable through the night, then went to a 30*. On a 50* night, I was still a little too cool, so I finally settled on a 20* which covers most all three season nights. Now I take it on all my outings.

The message here is to try one in your backyard before heading out. You can always exchange your quilt for a different rating if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deacon
01-12-2018, 08:29
But as I hike I tend to get slightly dehydrated, which causes me to sleep colder than usual. That’s a factor you won’t see in the backyard.

Gambit McCrae
01-12-2018, 08:52
The comfort level of a quilt is quite different than a sleeping bag with the same temperature rating. Without going through rating numbers as others have already done on this site, I’ll just relay my own experience.

Ive found that no matter how tightly I tuck the edges of my quilt around me when I retire for the night, moving around in my sleep results in cool/cold air getting in.

I’ve tried a 40* quilt, was uncomfortable through the night, then went to a 30*. On a 50* night, I was still a little too cool, so I finally settled on a 20* which covers most all three season nights. Now I take it on all my outings.

The message here is to try one in your backyard before heading out. You can always exchange your quilt for a different rating if you need to.

Both are good points, I would suggest this now after reading his posts rather then just stating "you should be good to go". Research and R&D never hurt...