PDA

View Full Version : SOLO vs. Couple

Two more miles
01-08-2018, 14:41
I am planning a Sobo For 2019 with my better half. Is there anything I need to know about going as a couple vs solo. Do I need dubble up on passes, permits ect.? I know some of the pros and cons. Just wondering if there is anything I"m missing.

bigcranky
01-08-2018, 14:49
You'll each need individual permits in Shenandoah and the Smokies.

Have a great hike. My spouse of 30+ years is my main hiking partner and we've had a lot of great experiences on the trail.

Two more miles
01-08-2018, 14:55
Thanks, It's info like that I am looking for. I was hopping I didn't, but that's fine at least I know now not on the trail.

Two more miles
01-08-2018, 15:00
Is it the same for the AMC huts in the Whites? Any other advice would be help full.

chknfngrs
01-08-2018, 15:01
one permit in Shenandoah is all that’s needed, given you’re camping in the same places. I’ve been several times on the blue blazed and one permit sufficed for the crew.

Two more miles
01-08-2018, 15:09
Cool. I'm doing this on a tight buget, so I want to make sure I can keep any extra costs down to a min. or at least factor them in. Thanks for your input.

rickb
01-08-2018, 16:17
I am planning a Sobo For 2019 with my better half. Is there anything I need to know about going as a couple vs solo. Do I need dubble up on passes, permits ect.? I know some of the pros and cons. Just wondering if there is anything I"m missing.

I would suggest doing a bit more research on cheap accomodations (to they exist for SOBOs) than the typical solo hiker who can just go with the flow.

Some hostels have a very limited number of private rooms, which may cost about the same as the price of two separate bunks.

In the case of a place like the Notch Hostel in North Woodstock, you can call ahead to reserve.

I cannot provide more detail, but should be easy enough to make a list of possibilities and phone numbers with the help of one of the AT guides.

The Snowman
01-08-2018, 16:40
Each person needs a reservation for the AMC Huts.

Slo-go'en
01-08-2018, 17:01
Doesn't matter if your a couple or not, your still two people taking up two slots. Food costs might be slightly lower, but that's about it. A solo hiker can often split the price of a motel room or a shuttle with another hiker, but since your a couple you pay full price.

Thru hiking on a tight budget solo often doesn't work out for long and with two of you, well good luck. I've seen people run out of money even before getting to the Smokies.

Starchild
01-08-2018, 17:21
Having done the AT mostly solo but with a friend for a bit, and as a couple in Spain on El Camino, there are advantages and disadvantages of hiking as a couple. All and all it is I would say slightly cheaper hiking as a couple and you will get better stays - if you as a couple are also willing to stay as 2 singles if needed for the accommodations you want. Hosts often have some rooms, even private ones, for couples for less the then price of 2 singles, which you might even not know about unless you are hiking as a couple. I have also found that couples typically get the better spots then singles. As for splitting hotel/motel and shuttles rooms, it works the same, however you and your mate pay two shares one per person - fair dinkum.

bigcranky
01-08-2018, 21:21
Doesn't matter if your a couple or not, your still two people taking up two slots. Food costs might be slightly lower, but that's about it. A solo hiker can often split the price of a motel room or a shuttle with another hiker, but since your a couple you pay full price.

Well, sure, but full price for two is half price each, right? If you look at it a certain way.

When my wife and I hike together, we do end up saving money on some things, but it costs more for others -- e.g., we usually want our own room or even a B&B when in town, versus staying in the bunk room at the hostel for cheap.

dudeijuststarted
01-08-2018, 23:16
I have a friend who emptied his pee bottle without opening the vestibule flap first. It went all over him, his wife, and their gear. Remember to open the vestibule door if you use a pee bottle.