PDA

View Full Version : A Tent that can be converted into a Hammock?

moldy
01-10-2018, 09:19
I like my hammock, well most of the time.....except when it's cold. Then I just lay it on the ground and set up the tarp over it. It's makes a poor tent but it's better than freezing. They make hiking pants that convert into shorts in seconds with a zipper. My question is: Do they make a backpacker type tent (bug proof, water proof, light weight) that can be set up as a hammock?

Squirrel!
01-10-2018, 09:43
I like my hammock, well most of the time.....except when it's cold. Then I just lay it on the ground and set up the tarp over it. It's makes a poor tent but it's better than freezing. They make hiking pants that convert into shorts in seconds with a zipper. My question is: Do they make a backpacker type tent (bug proof, water proof, light weight) that can be set up as a hammock?

REI has one that may or may not be discontinued soon.

https://www.rei.com/product/110804/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-air-hammock

Weighs 3# 2 oz though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2018, 09:50
Ahh the good ol Lawson Hammock. Little heavy at 4.2 lbs. Includes hammock, poles and fly. pad can be used or not used. I do not own one of these but I have wanted one since the boy scouts.

Pictures are not of me or mine

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2018, 09:51

Here is a picture of it pitched on the ground

BuckeyeBill
01-10-2018, 12:32
I have a Blackbird XLC with a net and winter cover. I also have a Hammock Gear cuben fiber tarp. I have and can set either one or both up on the ground using my hiking poles. The tarp has doors at both ends and I carry a piece of tyvek that I use as a ground cloth. I also have a GG lightweight pad if I think going to ground may be a possibility. I still prefer to hang from trees than sleeping on the ground. This may work for you I don't know. Good luck.

TX Aggie
01-10-2018, 14:07
The Lawson and the Clark Jungle Hammock both advertise as dual use. The issue is more a question of weight. If you want to keep your weight down as still use a traditional hammock, your best bet may be to simply use your tarp as a tent and add a bivy and sleeping pad. If you already use a pad instead of quilts, then your tarp and a bivy make an excellent cold weather tent for low weight and volume. If you want something a little more enclosed than a typical bivy, check out Mountain Laurel Designs Bug Bivy 2. At only 7oz, I’m seriously considering this to complement my Superfly tarp in areas where I can’t hammock.

TX Aggie
01-10-2018, 14:08
Forgot the link:
https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/bug-bivy-2/

stilllife
01-10-2018, 16:05
What TX said. I recently got the MLD bicycle and it will fit in your front pocket.

stilllife
01-10-2018, 16:06
Dang auto correct. Bivy not bicycle [emoji23]

rmitchell
01-10-2018, 20:28
Darn. That bicycle seemed interesting.

TX Aggie
01-11-2018, 12:35
What TX said. I recently got the MLD bicycle and it will fit in your front pocket.

How do you like the bivy? Did you get the mesh or the winter version?

stilllife
01-11-2018, 13:43
How do you like the bivy? Did you get the mesh or the winter version?

I got the mesh but haven’t tried it out yet. It feels and looks great. Weighs nothing. A hammocker could stick it in just in case they had to gtg.

TX Aggie
01-11-2018, 13:58
I got the mesh but haven’t tried it out yet. It feels and looks great. Weighs nothing. A hammocker could stick it in just in case they had to gtg.

That’s what I was thinking as well. Cheap tent for times when you are in areas that you know you can’t Hammock: just use your existing tarp and poles and you’ve got a easy, light tent that’s probably more coverage than the “UL” tents.