PDA

View Full Version : starting at DWG

greensleep
01-10-2018, 09:24
I'll be starting my AT flip flop attempt at Delaware Water Gap heading north and could use some advice about resupply. Being older and just starting the hike, how many days of food should I carry initially? Will there be a fairly good resupply point within a 3 to 4 day span with me averaging only 5 to 10 mpd at first?

Lone Wolf
01-10-2018, 10:01
Unionville, NY is 51 miles north of DWG. resupply there

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2018, 10:16
NJ and NY are plum full of resupply spots. This October I walked from Salisbury, CT down past DWG and we had some sort of resupply within eyesight of the trail pretty much every day. I know there for a couple days we didn't even cook due to the abundance of beers and burgers.

Saying that, we were doing an average of 18-19 miles a day, with a 6 mile day into town that brought our average down quite a bit, so these resources will be a bit more spread out for a shorter MPD average.

There at Highpoint SP in Jersey - Moseys hostel is outstanding...She will come pick you up, take you to resupply, get dinner, beer if your into that too, $20 a night gets you all of that driving around plus a shower, linens, a bunk, breakfast and the comfort of a home, not a dirty hostel.

There is good resupply in Vernon, NJ as well...And from there up in bear mountain, NY if you get off the trail a bit. A bit past that is the Appalachian market right on the trail, hot breakfast and some mountain house meals. Reasonable prices. from there up at Wingdale/ Pawling there is an OK resupply. KENT CT is quite the pricey little town...If you can hold off till Salisbury or even some Mass towns you'll be better off on the wallet.

Thru the beginning starting at DWG, with your MPD average I would carry 5 days of food.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2018, 11:03
Depending on when you start, you might be able to get a meal at the AMC Mohican outdoor center. I got there early in the season and while technically they were open, they really weren't.

The issue you will have is camping is restricted to designated sites and shelters in NJ/NY/CT so that will determine how far you must go each day. These places are also the only place you'll find water (if your lucky, but usually not a problem until later in the summer). Thankfully, the hiking in NJ is pretty easy. The trail in NY gets rough in places, but at least finding food is easy. Study the guide book, it gives you all the info you need.

Kent, CT has a biggish grocery store and their prices aren't bad. Salisbury, CT has a small IGA which stocks mostly gourmet food. If you want IGA brand items, you need to lay on the floor since those are all on the bottom shelf. I dropped nearly 100 bucks at the Salisbury IGA for lunch and 4 days worth of food!