PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Section Hikers

LittleRock
01-11-2018, 09:21
The last few years there has been a running thread for us section hikers to post the sections they've completed or planned for the year. Most likely very few of us have completed any section hikes yet, but I bet lots of folks have been thinking about it. I know I have :)

This year I'm planning to hike from Rockfish Gap, VA to Front Royal, VA (basically all of SNP) in April. Hoping to get out again in the fall to hike from Front Royal, VA to Pen-Mar (with my first ever zero day in Harper's Ferry).

So let's hear it - what section hikes (AT or other trails) have you got planned for this year?

dcdennis
01-11-2018, 09:43
lol this is a weird thread. why would i care what OTHER people are hiking :P

Night Train
01-11-2018, 10:21
I have to agree.

windlion
01-11-2018, 10:35
Now that my boots are resoled (thanks, Pennsylvania), I plan to start off with Delaware Water Gap northbound as soon as the weather in the Hudson valley starts to warm up, and step off trail when the bubble catches up to me. Salisbury, possibly?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2018, 10:39
12 Trips to walk from Watauga Lake to Springer for Map2
Finish PA, Mass and Vermont for Map1 in 2 trips

JG13
01-11-2018, 10:51
Hot Springs thru the Roan Highlands in late October...did Max Patch to Hot Springs this past October.

Berserker
01-11-2018, 11:12
Preliminary plan for the year is to finish VA (got 41 miles left mostly in SNP), do the last 49 miles (Eastern most) in PA and do Rangeley to Monson in ME.

chknfngrs
01-11-2018, 12:04
I don’t mind reading what other people are planning only because it helps get me fired up for my own plans. Share the stoke!

LittleRock
01-11-2018, 12:27
12 Trips to walk from Watauga Lake to Springer for Map2
Finish PA, Mass and Vermont for Map1 in 2 trips
Roan Highlands in February? BRRRR.

KCNC
01-11-2018, 12:38
No firm plans yet, but hope to join my son on his thru-hike for a section somewhere (probably Harper's Ferry or beyond) and meet up with another thru hiker who will be a couple of weeks ahead of my son. Lots of factors up in the air, so it's all speculative at the moment. I'm doing all I can to prepare, which means pretty much everything short of buying food.

ldsailor
01-11-2018, 13:32

I have to agree.

So why are you both on this thread reading?

ldsailor
01-11-2018, 13:48
I did 746 miles in 2017. That mileage is from Marion, VA to Wind Gap. In 2016 I started at Springer and made it to Marion, so my NOBO section hikes are progressing as I had planned them. This year at the end of May, I go back to Wind Gap in PA and continue NOBO. There is no firm goal this year. I would like to finish, which would mean a little over 900 miles to Katahdin, but I'm going to leave my options open and possible finish after around 500 miles. There are other things I want to do in 2018, so dedicating nearly 3 months to the AT might not be possible.

TwoSpirits
01-11-2018, 14:31
I don’t mind reading what other people are planning only because it helps get me fired up for my own plans. Share the stoke!This. I think this will be a great thread to follow because I can fall into a dreary funk at this time of year, and seeing what other section hikers are planning helps keep my head in the game.

JPritch
01-11-2018, 14:44
I see lots of hikers and backpackers are getting the itch now that we're in the new year, me included! First order of business is picking up my section from Winding Stair Gap and going through the Smokies...with the bubble! I like the vibe. My original plan was to hike the AT in order, but I am going to revise that plan and also begin a section from Damascus and do as much of VA as I can, and eventually join the two sections up. No use waiting for the time/money to travel hours away to another state when so much of the AT is in my backyard! I am also trying to get a Wonderland permit, and if that falls through - either do a walkup, or the Wind River High Route. Happy Trails to everyone!

Pastor Bryon
01-11-2018, 14:58
Finished ALL of WV last year :)

Planning to finish all of MD this year and finally get to Grayson Highlands!

Very little changes being made to my kit, grateful for the help of this community and others that have helped me get dialed in!

soumodeler
01-11-2018, 15:00
Plans for this year include finishing up from Carvers Gap to Damascus. Also looking to do the BMT in several sections this year.

Berserker
01-11-2018, 15:05
I see lots of hikers and backpackers are getting the itch now that we're in the new year, me included! First order of business is picking up my section from Winding Stair Gap and going through the Smokies...with the bubble! I like the vibe.
Whew, good luck with that. I did the Smokies during a non-bubble time of year, and all the shelters except 1 were beyond capacity. Not trying to discourage you, but you may want to consider not hitting that area with the bubble...gonna be a ton of people in there.

devoidapop
01-11-2018, 15:48
Planning my first full week backpacking trip for this summer. All of NY or Mass, depending on when my brother and I can get time off together. Will probably go to Roan Highlands again this year because it's just beautiful and my last two trips there got cut short.

ChrisMek
01-11-2018, 15:58
I am considering starting to knock off some of PA. Either Pen-Mar to Duncannon or DWG to Port Clinton. My other option is to SOBO all of Connecticut... With a little luck, I will do both CT and some of PA.

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2018, 15:58
Whew, good luck with that. I did the Smokies during a non-bubble time of year, and all the shelters except 1 were beyond capacity. Not trying to discourage you, but you may want to consider not hitting that area with the bubble...gonna be a ton of people in there.

I hike the smokies every March/ April WITH the bubble. It is entertaining lol

Slo-go'en
01-11-2018, 16:38
I figure I'll do VA again, starting at Harpers Ferry towards the end of April and finishing at Marion. Then think about maybe giving the Colorado trail another go.

SteelCut
01-11-2018, 16:48
All of the Maine AT section in September plus the usual weekend overnighters in the Southern Appalachians.

Berserker
01-11-2018, 16:53
I hike the smokies every March/ April WITH the bubble. It is entertaining lol
Yeah, that's cool. I like hanging out with other hikers, and tent around the shelters to do so but I also have some anti-social components to me.

I don't like having a bunch of people "on top" of me at any one point. That's what happened when I did GSMNP. I was staying in the shelters, and every shelter except 1 was beyond capacity. It was fine for a couple of nights, but by the 4th and 5th nights I was ready to be out of there. Same thing happened in the Whites when I was cooped up in Lake of the Clouds hut with like 100+ people in thick fog, I was ready to be out of there too.

JPritch
01-11-2018, 16:57
Good food for thought Berserker. I enjoy meeting other hikers tremendously and had the pleasure of being the red headed step child of a fledgling trail fam last year, but having to stay in a packed shelter night after night might get old after a while.

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2018, 17:12
Good food for thought Berserker. I enjoy meeting other hikers tremendously and had the pleasure of being the red headed step child of a fledgling trail fam last year, but having to stay in a packed shelter night after night might get old after a while.

For sure it does. I look at it like this. If I am forced to stay int he shelters in the GSMNP, then It will really make me appreciate my tent for the rest of the year! lol

QuietStorm
01-11-2018, 19:23
In the midst of finishing VA. Plan to finish by March 4th. The next 100 or so miles south from Damascus end of March. Continue in TN in April and May. Vermont in May-June. Resume TN/NC in the summer. NH in September. Continue south through December.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC13
01-11-2018, 19:30
Starting at Hot Springs and going NOBO for ~120 miles is the current plan.

map man
01-11-2018, 19:52
I'm planning to hike from Bland VA to Daleville VA in mid-May this year -- that will complete everything south of Daleville for me. This will be the last year I have to shoehorn a backpacking trip between work obligations -- I am retiring in February 2019. So starting in 2019 I am free to do much longer hikes if I choose. I am contemplating a SOBO thru-hike attempt in 2019 or a LASH of at least a month also starting at Katahdin. I will decide as the date gets closer.

Carl7
01-11-2018, 19:55
My last larger section is from Rt 4/Killington, VT to Kent, CT with 255 left in total for all sections. I hope to finish this year, but may have to split the big section it into two hikes. This may involve the first week of April for the first part. Is MA/CT reasonable for the first week of April? It appears to be a wildcard for weather. I've never hiked MA/CT in the winter or early spring.

LIhikers
01-11-2018, 20:26
My wife and I plan to be in Maine this summer.
Last year we finished at route 27, Stratton, so I suspect that's where we'll start this year.
Before we decide on an end point I'll have to see how much time I can get off work.

Slo-go'en
01-11-2018, 20:55
Is MA/CT reasonable for the first week of April? It appears to be a wildcard for weather. I've never hiked MA/CT in the winter or early spring.

Generally no. It's still winter. There may still be snow in places and where there isn't it will be mud. Best to stay away from these trails at least well into May to let them dry out. That's why I head south that time of year. It's too messy anywhere in New England.

chknfngrs
01-11-2018, 21:19
have plans go hike the trail in Shenandoah National Park in August. Might take the kids on some weekend trips near home too.

Astro
01-11-2018, 22:33
Glenncliff, NH to Mt Katahdin. Last 398 miles for me. Want to start mid June, worst case late June.
Hoping all of this cold weather and snow might make the blackflies a little milder.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kolokolo
01-12-2018, 20:38
I am planning to hike the 101 miles from the Humpback Mountain Picnic Area on the BRP South of Waynesboro up to Elkwallow Wayside in Shenandoah, probably sometime in April. This will finish up VA for me. :)

Femadog
01-12-2018, 20:57
Elk Wallow (where I had to quit last year because of foot issues) SOBO to at least the James River Bridge and hopefully a few days past there in April.

JohnThe Snail
01-12-2018, 20:57
Last summer got cut short for me when my knee started bothering me too much. Right now waiting to get replacement knee surgery scheduled. Hoping to be able to get back out on the trail with my daughter by this summer.

Uncle Joe
01-12-2018, 23:50
My next section is the NOC to Fontana. Then I plan to do some other sections after that as I’m not sure about moving into GSMNP. Probably skip further North, though I may decide to move on into the Smokies.

Bubblehead
01-13-2018, 09:08
Finishing the AT starting May 11. Pawling, NY TO Katahdin.

macheek
01-13-2018, 18:06
We wanted to start at Neels gap, go nobo to Dicks Creek gap. However, we can't go till June18th. Is that a bad time of year to hit that part of trail, that is, do you think it will be too hot then? is that part fairly shaded or open? Will we miss the bubble, so that we can stay at the shelters?

Astro
01-13-2018, 19:18
We wanted to start at Neels gap, go nobo to Dicks Creek gap. However, we can't go till June18th. Is that a bad time of year to hit that part of trail, that is, do you think it will be too hot then? is that part fairly shaded or open? Will we miss the bubble, so that we can stay at the shelters?I did that part in July. Didn't seem too hot to me, but I grew up in South Florida.

sore ankle
01-14-2018, 08:29
A section in NH or ME, or maybe Wawayanda to Pawling, or maybe my last 75 mile piece down south. Did 350 miles in 2017 but it has gotten a little trickier since I went back to work last fall. 604 miles to go.

blw2
01-14-2018, 09:05
no plans to section the whole trail in a year.....but I'm loosely thinking of doing my 1st ever section sometime this summer....June or July maybe.
I'm from FL, so logically it'll be GA..... Amicalola to Neels? or Springer to Neels? .....depends I guess if any of my kids come along & I'll only have a week give or take, but that includes travel....

u.w.
01-14-2018, 15:49
If all goes well, I hope to complete the AT this year. What I've got left is from Kent to Wentworth, and from Caratunk to Katahdin. It seems like both, so long ago & only yesterday, that I met our own Gambit McCrae down in GA on my first "long distance" section (Amicalola Falls SP to Winding Stair Gap). That was Memorial Day weekend/week 2015. I think I've only met one other White Blazer on trail so far, that being Birthday Girl. New Years Eve and Day 2017, up on Priest Mountain. I just went up for the new years sunrise, but she was doing a section - with a broken toe! Talk about a tough gal!
Man! It's been one heck of an amazing time so far! And I look forward Very Much, to A Whole Lot More!
It was 'ole Gambit that taught me, "ten by ten", which I started doing more or less immediately, upon hearing such simple brilliance. Later that same year, while doing another "long" section in VA, I added to "ten by ten", with 'twenty by two'. I'd kind of already been doing it for a while without realizing it, when it dawned on me. It made sense to me, and is 'more or less' just keeping that same 10x10 pace. It has worked pretty well for me over the years now. I don't always get twenty by two, it is a 'rough' goal. I sometimes beat it, and sometimes not - terrain, weather, if I 'sleep in', resupply/town days/nights, all come in to play. As I said, it's just a 'rough' goal when I hike, that works pretty well for me. It all started as simple info being passed among hikers on trail. Thanks again Gambit! It has served me well over the years!

u.w.

Astro
01-14-2018, 18:04
If all goes well, I hope to complete the AT this year. What I've got left is from Kent to Wentworth, and from Caratunk to Katahdin. It seems like both, so long ago & only yesterday, that I met our own Gambit McCrae down in GA on my first "long distance" section (Amicalola Falls SP to Winding Stair Gap). That was Memorial Day weekend/week 2015. I think I've only met one other White Blazer on trail so far, that being Birthday Girl. New Years Eve and Day 2017, up on Priest Mountain. I just went up for the new years sunrise, but she was doing a section - with a broken toe! Talk about a tough gal!
Man! It's been one heck of an amazing time so far! And I look forward Very Much, to A Whole Lot More!
It was 'ole Gambit that taught me, "ten by ten", which I started doing more or less immediately, upon hearing such simple brilliance. Later that same year, while doing another "long" section in VA, I added to "ten by ten", with 'twenty by two'. I'd kind of already been doing it for a while without realizing it, when it dawned on me. It made sense to me, and is 'more or less' just keeping that same 10x10 pace. It has worked pretty well for me over the years now. I don't always get twenty by two, it is a 'rough' goal. I sometimes beat it, and sometimes not - terrain, weather, if I 'sleep in', resupply/town days/nights, all come in to play. As I said, it's just a 'rough' goal when I hike, that works pretty well for me. It all started as simple info being passed among hikers on trail. Thanks again Gambit! It has served me well over the years!

u.w.u.w. Hope to run into you this summer. But if you are doing 20 by 2pm in NH and ME, it will probably just be that one time. Definitely a faster pace than mine.

ZombieDust66
01-14-2018, 19:28
I’m doing around 36 miles near Pearisburg, VA in late June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZombieDust66
01-14-2018, 19:43

Why are you involved in a forum if you don’t care about others opinions? That’s weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2NewKnees
01-14-2018, 20:57
I'm hoping to do the stretch around Roan Highlands in mid March. Would like to go stay at the Mountain Harbour Hostel to finish/ shuttle out of for the hike. Looking forward to that section solo and another trip in late June! Should be a a fun season of backpacking trips.

blw2
01-14-2018, 21:12
ok, sidetrack.....but expain....10 by 10, 20 by 2....I get it get 10 miles in my 10AM or 20 miles in by 2PM....but why? brilliance?

Astro
01-14-2018, 21:48
ok, sidetrack.....but expain....10 by 10, 20 by 2....I get it get 10 miles in my 10AM or 20 miles in by 2PM....but why? brilliance?If you want to knock out a lot of miles it is easier if you start early in the day, especially if hiking in the summer.

u.w.
01-15-2018, 20:59
ok, sidetrack.....but expain....10 by 10, 20 by 2....I get it get 10 miles in my 10AM or 20 miles in by 2PM....but why? brilliance?

Why? I enjoy it.
Mid twenty to mid thirty mile days are not uncommon for me. Not for everyone of course, but I do enjoy it. Plus, as Astro says, it can be handy when it starts getting hot/humid. When the temps go into the nineties or the hundreds, starting early can be pretty nice.
That said, I don't always hike that way, I usually do - but not always. If I'm hiking with someone (pretty rare) I have slowed my roll if needed, and for the various reasons I wrote of above.

"Brilliance" as in it's just a simple thing, it's a catchy way of saying something, and I'd never heard at that time but it totally suited me, and my hiking. Twenty by two is just a continuation of it. In the eye of the beholder perhaps, as with other things. "simple brilliance": just a nice way to talk of something too.

u.w.

u.w.
01-15-2018, 21:09
u.w. Hope to run into you this summer. But if you are doing 20 by 2pm in NH and ME, it will probably just be that one time. Definitely a faster pace than mine.

Definitely! Hopefully our paths will cross out there. That'd be way cool! I'm planning on knocking out half-ish of the southern section CT, MA, VT starting toward the end of May.

Oh and I remembered too... Another person I've not just met, but also hiked with, who's a WhiteBlazer. Johnspenn. We did a hike down in GA last February. Definitely enjoyed that hike with he and his nephew a lot.

u.w.

LittleRock
01-16-2018, 09:27
u.w. Hope to run into you this summer. But if you are doing 20 by 2pm in NH and ME, it will probably just be that one time. Definitely a faster pace than mine.
Yeah, you guys must be some seriously fast hikers. If I wanted to do 10 by 10, I'd have to start on the trail at 5 a.m! Then I might be able to pull 20 by 2, but only if a bear started chasing me.

Gambit McCrae
01-16-2018, 10:38

u.w.

Hey Ol' U.W.! Man you are really wrapping this AT thing up aren't ya!? Good on you! I have since slowed my pace to 20 by....dark lol PM me for some Mid Atlantic talk, Ill be stumbling around up there in Mass/ VT this September 1st for 2 weeks

Still haven't hit over 30 in a day. Its on the to do list when I complete PA this july 4th week :)

Red Sky
01-16-2018, 11:23
Did Springer to Deep Gap NC last year, so the plan this year is to start in March, hopefully a little ahead of the bubble, and work towards Fontana. Then maybe skip the Smokies and work on southern VA over the summer. Might come back to the Smokies in the fall.

linus72
01-16-2018, 11:39
Finish MA (about 24 miles left) and NJ (about 63 miles left)... agree reading these in the depths of winter gets me stoked for the upcoming season! That's why I'm here reading this site :)

tenlots
01-16-2018, 16:49
Looking for a good time to do Clingmans dome to Hot springs. Any time is good except winter, BRRRR. And they have water.......

Berserker
01-16-2018, 17:34
Yeah, you guys must be some seriously fast hikers. If I wanted to do 10 by 10, I'd have to start on the trail at 5 a.m! Then I might be able to pull 20 by 2, but only if a bear started chasing me.
Yeah, me too. I'm kinda more of a 5 by 12 and 15 by 5 kind of guy. It doesn't have so much to do with my pace, but more with not wanting to leave at the arse crack of dawn.

Carl7
01-16-2018, 20:35
Generally no. It's still winter. There may still be snow in places and where there isn't it will be mud. Best to stay away from these trails at least well into May to let them dry out. That's why I head south that time of year. It's too messy anywhere in New England.

Thanks for the advice Slo-go'en. My wife is a teacher, and the first week of April is Spring break. She could watch our kids that are also out of school that week. However, a voluntary week in the mud may have to wait for another time. Everything has a time and a place. I've done all of the South but the last few miles to Springer, which I am saving. New AT miles are coming hard at this point. I will keep it local for now. Enjoy!

SLMaui
01-17-2018, 18:15
Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry in mid May.

jlp1976
01-17-2018, 22:13
I'm planning on doing the Maryland section northbound at the end of April if I can get logistics figured out. I am wanting to park at Pen Mar area and shuttle to Harper's Ferry to start. Just need to figure out shuttle options.

Earthtimber
01-17-2018, 23:40
Last year, I hike from Springer to Fontana Damm. This May I am planning Fontana Damm to Irwin, NC.

Gambit McCrae
01-18-2018, 16:22
https://youtu.be/B_Y_8XwdbM0

Not sure if Vlogging is for me but Im gunna give it a go this year I believe.

Rmeugene
01-20-2018, 21:05
Did our first ever section of the AT last year going from Iron Mountain Gap to Clyde Smith(day 1) to Roan High Knob(day 2) to Overmountain(day 3) to US 19E(day 4). Extremely challenging for us but we loved it. Not many places to prepare for it in the suburbs of Chicago!

This year we are looking at doing a 5 day hike SOBO from Fox Creek to Damascus. Just started planning so if anyone has any input I would love to hear from you. A little worried about that first day up Pine Mountain but it seems less than what we had last year. Have heard going SOBO in this area is a bit easier.

jfarrell04
01-23-2018, 13:38
The good Lord willing, our 32nd annual section hike this fall will include the ~50 mile stretch between Lyme-Dorchester Road and Franconia Notch in NH, which would leave us with ~375 miles to completion.

chknfngrs
01-24-2018, 11:04
close to securing a 50 mile section hike with my son sobo from whiskey springs road to PenMar just following the Labor Day weekend for four nights. That’d be his longest hike to date.

buckaroo007
01-24-2018, 16:53
Starting at Ma. 2[Williamstown] and heading north soon after the 4th. of July.

Kaptainkriz
01-24-2018, 20:59
Every other weekend I do a little more... Probably will be out and about this weekend. :D

chknfngrs
01-24-2018, 21:25
Every other weekend I do a little more... Probably will be out and about this weekend. :D

Just watched your cold weather camp vid and curious who made your red hoodie. Quite a bit of cover for yu

chknfngrs
01-24-2018, 21:30
Just watched your cold weather camp vid and curious who made your red hoodie. Quite a bit of cover for yu

Disregard homey. I saw your reply on the other read!

Kaptainkriz
01-25-2018, 06:53
I just replaced the red hood with a blue one that has a little cross piece over the nose. I like it because it's removable and when I warm up and can put it away.

Disregard homey. I saw your reply on the other read!

misterblitz
02-10-2018, 23:41
I'm planning a SOBO section from Rockfish Gap to Daleville in April. This will be my third section starting from Harper's Ferry.

LIhikers
02-11-2018, 07:53
I was going to be hiking north from Stratton, Maine but I'll be starting a new job in March and don't know if I'll be able to get time off.

dcandel823
03-18-2018, 18:44
I have been section hiking each year since 2014. This May, 2018, I would like to hike from Hot Springs, NC to Pearisburg, VA (Approx. 363 miles). I am a Vietnam Veteran, and if possible I would like to find a friend, Veteran or not, but preferably age in 60s as I am not a fast hiker that can join me. My wife would feel most comfortable if I found such a hiking friend. Unfortunately, my wife has MS and can not hike. I do not know if there is a special forum on WhiteBlaze to place such a request. Last year, I hiked with a female friend (and her friend), and she had the perfect hiking pace. Thanks, Del

JC13
03-19-2018, 09:29
Starting at Hot Springs and going NOBO for ~120 miles is the current plan.Plans have changed. Filling in the section from Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana Dam that we skipped last year due to the fires. Now if the BMT goes down this fall, will have the 500 mile loop completion.

Treebeard#1
03-19-2018, 12:20
We are headed out of Manassas Gap VA and hiking 7 days to Caledonia State park (Rocky mt shelter) PA. 80 miles. Leaving this Saturday afternoon and landing in PA on Friday. Snow and rain for the week but don't care, we're back on the AT!!
"There's no cryin in Baseball"

PcolaDawg
03-19-2018, 15:38
Just finished my first section hike of the year. Went from Newfound Gap to I-40. Left Newfound Gap on a very cold morning last Thursday (3-15). A Park Ranger met us, looked at our permits and asked if we had appropriate traction (ie, metal spikes of some kind). We did not, but she let us go anyway, mentioned there had been some broken bones by Icewater Spring Shelter, and gave us a number to call in case of emergency. It was cold all day with ice and snow on the trail all the way to Pecks Corner shelter. Spent a cold night at Pecks Corner with a great group of thru-hikers and some hikers who were doing a loop hike. The next day we hiked 13+ miles to Cosby Knob. Although it was still chilly, the weather started moderating some. On the last day as we hiked out of the park it actually got warm as we descended to Davenport Gap.

Met thru-hikers WanderingDad, Underdog, Tractor, and a bunch of others.

We got picked up by a shuttle from A Walk in the Woods. They did a great job and, when I called them and told them we arrived early, they sent the shuttle right away.

I'm planning my next section hike for the end of April where I will pick up at I-40 where I left off and hike to Hot Springs, NC.

Red Laces
03-19-2018, 15:39
Did HF to Port Clinton last year, this year PC to the Bear Mountain area in NY, leaving later in May so the thru hikers will be around

Fireball76
03-21-2018, 16:20
My wife and I started from Springer in July 2017, YES it was HOT! LOL We went from Springer to Woody Gap.
This year we have gone from Woody Gap to Addis Gap on one section hike and a few day hikes. Our next trip will get us into NC.

TSWisla
03-23-2018, 20:21
My next section is the NOC to Fontana. Then I plan to do some other sections after that as I’m not sure about moving into GSMNP. Probably skip further North, though I may decide to move on into the Smokies.
I did this exact section last year. It was great. I am going into the Smokies this year and I am very excited!

Bigg Jilm
04-02-2018, 07:07
Smokies...have some questions though...posting a new thread.

JC13
04-02-2018, 10:12
Looks like another 103 miles on the Pinhoti is happening as well. Now if I can get the time in the fall for the last third, I will have it completed.

rlong01
04-10-2018, 21:12
New Here, Doing my first AT section hike May 16th. I am very excited and been dialing in my gear for months. Going to do the approach trail at Amicalola Falls and get feeling of what thru hiker feels like, However, I have to back to the real world around NOC, NC. Any tips are appreciated.

146/2200 pending 6.6%

Wolverine Rick

jlp1976
04-22-2018, 17:26
So why are you both on this thread reading?

My thoughts exactly

jlp1976
04-22-2018, 17:35
Doing either Pen Mar to harpers Ferry or Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar in May.

windlion
04-24-2018, 07:47
Planning to start north from Del Water Gap on May 4 and keep going for a month. Wawayanda to Wildcat will be a tough day for me, suggestions appreciated!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

greenpete
04-24-2018, 11:34
Beautifully said.

stephanD
04-25-2018, 08:52
I have to agree.
I have to agree too... that us section hikers should have our own forum.

stephanD
04-25-2018, 09:32
My story in a nut shell...
May 2015: attempted to flip flop thru hike starting at HF going north
July 2015: got off the trail at Hanover NH due to a knee injury (stress fracture right knee).
Stayed off the trail next two years
July-August 2017: Decided to get back on the trail and completed a section hike from Newfound gap (GSMNP) to Springer Mt, including approach trail. Felt like i'm back from the dead.
April 2018: Completed a section from Front Royal, VA to HF, WV during Spring Recess
July - August 2018: Hope to complete my own "Virginia Challenge": 500 miles from Front Royal to Damascus in six weeks.

Hikingchef
04-25-2018, 10:08
My story in a nut shell...
May 2015: attempted to flip flop thru hike starting at HF going north
July 2015: got off the trail at Hanover NH due to a knee injury (stress fracture right knee).
Stayed off the trail next two years
July-August 2017: Decided to get back on the trail and completed a section hike from Newfound gap (GSMNP) to Springer Mt, including approach trail. Felt like i'm back from the dead.
April 2018: Completed a section from Front Royal, VA to HF, WV during Spring Recess
July - August 2018: Hope to complete my own "Virginia Challenge": 500 miles from Front Royal to Damascus in six weeks.

How long did Front Royal to HF take you? I’m planning the same trip for later in the year, but don’t really know how long to plan for it since it will be my first section.

stephanD
04-25-2018, 15:55
How long did Front Royal to HF take you? I’m planning the same trip for later in the year, but don’t really know how long to plan for it since it will be my first section.
Stayed at the Mountain Home B&B (highly recommended) which is right next to the trail and started hiking north the next day, Sunday April first. Arrived to Harpers Ferry Thursday afternoon. Stayed two nights at the Bears Den hostel as Wednesday was a slack packing day from Keys Gap back to the hostel (about 19-20 miles). Loved every moment, even the Virginia "Roller Coaster", even the 20 degree F temperatures at night. Enjoy.....

shelb
04-25-2018, 19:24
Planning my first full week backpacking trip for this summer. All of NY or Mass, depending on when my brother and I can get time off together. Will probably go to Roan Highlands again this year because it's just beautiful and my last two trips there got cut short.

That is a great area!

I plan to continue NOBO from where I left off last year (Cheshire, MA) for 200 miles... any input on the VT area I will cover would be appreciated! I will not start until mid-July...

stephanD
04-26-2018, 08:58

The section is, i think, 53 miles. I do, on average, 12 to 15 miles a day. You, being only 24 y/o, maybe can do more and finish your hike in 3 - 4 days.

Hikingchef
04-26-2018, 09:00
The section is, i think, 53 miles. I do, on average, 12 to 15 miles a day. You, being only 24 y/o, maybe can do more and finish your hike in 3 - 4 days.

I had been planning on 4 days for it, but I wasn’t sure if that was possible at all. Thanks for the reply!

Rantosaurus Rex
04-26-2018, 21:39
My wife and I did Springer to Bly Gap (GA/NC Border) last year and a short SOBO hike from Deep Gap Parking Lot to Bly Gap two weeks ago so that we can start our next NOBO section from Deep Gap in May. Going from the Deep Gap parking lot to Fontana Dam for this next big section.

Last year we carried everything for the whole hike with us from day one. This year we are going to restock in Franklin, NC and in Wesser. It will be a lot better carrying 3 days of food at a time rather than 9 days of food.

Patrickjd9
04-26-2018, 22:17
Swatara Gap to Port Clinton, PA next month, Gorham, NH to Maine Route 17 in July.

Red Laces
04-27-2018, 11:31
Still on track to fly in from Florida around May 23, 501 shelter to Bear Mountain this year, 218 miles, loving all the close resupply spots, wanting to keep my total pack weight at 30 lbs. or less. Any know if there is fuel canisters to be found near the 501, can't fly with one. Otherwise its no cook to Port Clinton.

PGH1NC
04-27-2018, 20:44
I plan to complete a 19 mile part in SNP and then Front Royal to Harper's Ferry in July. With at least one son, this will complete Waynesburg to Harper's Ferry.

Crushed Grapes
04-30-2018, 13:38
Couple of options I'm thinking of for early fall (all depending on how much time I can take off):
Reids Gap to Rockfish Gap (pretty much a long day hike, I know, but then I'll have Tye River to Rockfish Gap done. Maybe push a little further North into SNP?)
Harper's Ferry to Big Meadows
Front Royal to Rockfish Gap

JERMM
04-30-2018, 15:02
hiking my last section in Maine beginning in mid July

Bubblehead
05-06-2018, 12:25
2016: Springer Approach to Pearisburg, Va.
2017: Pearisburg, Va. to NY-55 (Pawling, NY)
2018: NY-55 Pawling NY to Katahdin, beginning 5/11....stoked!

ldsailor
05-07-2018, 10:50
Any know if there is fuel canisters to be found near the 501, can't fly with one. Otherwise its no cook to Port Clinton.

How are you getting to the trail from the airport? If by shuttle, most of the shuttle drivers will pickup a fuel canister for you if you ask them. That's what I did last year when I flew into Roanoke and shuttled down to Marion, VA.

shelb
05-08-2018, 22:39
If all goes well, I hope to complete the AT this year. What I've got left is from Kent to Wentworth, and from Caratunk to Katahdin. u.w.

You might meet me! I have run into three people from WB on the trail, so far!
~Einstein (only if my hair is loose... otherwise, it is in a black Pigeon Hill Brewery ball cap)

shelb
05-08-2018, 22:41
Last summer got cut short for me when my knee started bothering me too much. Right now waiting to get replacement knee surgery scheduled. Hoping to be able to get back out on the trail with my daughter by this summer.

Hope you are recovering! I have my surgery for several tears in meniscus tomorrow. Doc says I should be able to hike in August... we will see!

Debbie
05-18-2018, 10:11
NY 17A to 301 this June. Its my last 50-odd miles to finish a section hike of the AT that has spanned 20 years. :banana

Deacon
05-19-2018, 06:32
NY 17A to 301 this June. Its my last 50-odd miles to finish a section hike of the AT that has spanned 20 years. :banana

Debbie that is terrific! Good for you and congratulations in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Debbie
05-19-2018, 10:44
Thank you Deacon! I just hope the recent storm doesn't cause me to have to put it off. I've been planning this too long.

Carl7
05-19-2018, 13:54

Debbie, Nice job!!! Think of all of the great memories you have over 20 years! Enjoy, Carl.

Debbie
05-21-2018, 08:04
Thanks, Carl. I"m glad I did it this way-I've had 20 years to enjoy the trail, and will continue after I"m done to revisit areas I especially liked. I've also been able to see the changes occurring over those years.

clwhatley26
05-22-2018, 06:24
Congrats Debbie. I’m headed to Harpers Ferry late June to begin my first hike on AT. Gonna head north and see how far we can make it in 10 days.

Debbie
05-22-2018, 13:34
Thanks and enjoy your first AT experience.

Astro
05-22-2018, 19:13
2016: Springer Approach to Pearisburg, Va.
2017: Pearisburg, Va. to NY-55 (Pawling, NY)
2018: NY-55 Pawling NY to Katahdin, beginning 5/11....stoked!

Bubblehead, hope to see you out there. Looking to finish this year also, starting from Glencliff, NH on 6/9.

shelb
05-23-2018, 00:20
Congrats Debbie. I’m headed to Harpers Ferry late June to begin my first hike on AT. Gonna head north and see how far we can make it in 10 days.
That is a GREAT WAY to DO IT! Hike your hike~

Berserker
06-12-2018, 12:40
Preliminary plan for the year is to finish VA (got 41 miles left mostly in SNP), do the last 49 miles (Eastern most) in PA and do Rangeley to Monson in ME.
Ok, so finally got out on my first section this year. Wasn't sure how my right knee was going to hold up because I started to have trouble with it earlier this year, but it did ok. Had to brace it up for a few days, and it's sore sitting here right now. Anyway, ended up just going ahead and finishing PA, so did 90.6 miles from PA 183 to Delaware Water Gap. Ended up doing this in a odd order. I did 2 nights out from Little Gap to Delaware Water gap, then 3 nights out from Port Clinton to Little Gap, and finally day hiked 183 to Port Clinton. Had a great time for the most part.

So first off, how about them rocks? I've been hearing about the rocks for years, and wondering where in the heck they are...well I found 'em. So now I see what the deal is with the rocks. I think I was expecting miles of stuff like what one would see when you get near the top of the climb going NOBO out of Lehigh Gap (i.e. piles of medium sized loose rocks), but that's not what most of it is. Most of it is walking across flat ridge lines with stationary rocks that are pointing straight upward where there are sections of that going on for miles. At first I scratched my head as to what the big deal was (I mean I have hiked the Whites and first part of ME so I thought what could be worse), but about 3 days in I finally got it. It's just flat out mind numbing walking through the same scenery with minimal views and having to watch every single step. Plus the feet just start getting sore no matter how hard one tries to pick their way through that stuff.

At any rate, the rocks notwithstanding the hike was quite enjoyable. Had good weather most of the time where the trip was bookended by rain. The first night out it rained, but tailed off by morning. The day hike was wet and wild. A stationary front parked itself over Southern PA on Sunday, and it rained heavily during the whole hike where the trail became a creek about half way in. The climb up out of Lehigh Gap was also interesting as that was the hottest day, and by the time I was going up it those rocks had gotten heated up by the sun.

Some items of interest are I saw a lot of wild life: newts, snakes, toads, a turtle, a possum (during the middle of the day) and some deer. Also ran into the family of 8 at the Microtel in Hamburg and got to meet them. Got my first confirmed deer tick bite. That sucked, but at least I found the little b$%^ard and have him in a snack bag in my freezer. So I'll be watching for symptoms over the next few weeks.

So with PA finally done I now have 261.8 miles of the trail left consisting of 41.4 miles in VA (mostly in SNP) and 220.4 miles in ME (Rangeley to Katahdin).

wolfywolfy
06-17-2018, 08:15
The last few years there has been a running thread for us section hikers to post the sections they've completed or planned for the year. Most likely very few of us have completed any section hikes yet, but I bet lots of folks have been thinking about it. I know I have :)

This year I'm planning to hike from Rockfish Gap, VA to Front Royal, VA (basically all of SNP) in April. Hoping to get out again in the fall to hike from Front Royal, VA to Pen-Mar (with my first ever zero day in Harper's Ferry).

So let's hear it - what section hikes (AT or other trails) have you got planned for this year?

Section hiking for me is going after the thru hikers have cleared the area. I am usually alone and the bears have already been fed and they are looking for more and the homeless have been left behind and are panhandling on the trail.
But Seriously all 3 of those things happened to me on my latest section hike!

u.w.
06-17-2018, 19:43
You might meet me! I have run into three people from WB on the trail, so far!
~Einstein (only if my hair is loose... otherwise, it is in a black Pigeon Hill Brewery ball cap)

That'd be cool if we do. I did from Bulls Bridge, CT up to Bennington, VT this past end of May (Memorial Day week). I don't recall bumping into you? I was wearing a green bandana headband, grey/green button up shirt, short black shorts & some grey/orange Brooks Calderas, ULA Ohm & Leki poles.
Man it was a hot (90 degree or a tad more) and humid start, but did thankfully cool down a bit in short order. Recalling some of the hikers I ran into on this one: Jawbone, Scooter, Treeline, Grits, Timezone, Happyfeet (from Switzerland), Cinnamon Girl & her husband (I don't recall his name at the moment), hmmm.... etc... I'm sure there were a few others, but I don't recall their names at the moment.
I was surprised by how many times I hit pavement and towns in MA. I wouldn't call the section a stand out section so much, but still a good one and always good to be on trail living the good life!

Next month (July 4th week) I'll finish up Maine (Caratunk to Katahdin), and then in Sept (Labor Day week) start and finish the last remaining section (from Wentworth, NH to Bennington, VT)... Hard to believe it's at this point now... It has been one hellofa fantastic time so far, and I sure don't intend to stop... Next trail... yer on deck here in a bit...

And HUGE CONGRATS to Debbie!!!!!!!!!! OhHellz Ya - You rock!!

u.w.

Flahema
07-05-2018, 19:00
Pinkham Notch New Hampshire to Grafton Notch Maine

sore ankle
07-06-2018, 06:27
AT train station at Pawling SB to Wawayanda SP about a month ago. 1665 miles down.

KCNC
07-07-2018, 10:57
I'm headed to meet my son in a couple of weeks in mid-PA (Eckville Shelter-ish) and will go as far as 7-8 days takes us, then I plan to rejoin him in a couple of months in Maine.

Meenkya
07-10-2018, 08:00
HMW NOBO this Sept with my 22yoa firefighter daughter....STOKED!!!!!

zachzz12
07-10-2018, 10:43
I am going to hike 7/26-7/30 Thursday morning to Sunday. over 20 MPD if anyone wants hang SOBO from Sam's gap.... give me a holler!

Berserker
08-13-2018, 11:29
Preliminary plan for the year is to...do Rangeley to Monson in ME.
Got back a couple of days ago from this section. I split this one up into 3 subsections that were all hiked NOBO as follows:

Subsection 1 – Caratunk to Monson
Subsection 2 – Stratton to Caratunk
Subsection 3 – Rangeley to Stratton

For those familiar with this piece of trail you already know that this was probably a good way of breaking this up as the subsections got progressively harder.

I’ve been battling some minor injury problems this year (knee and achillies), so I didn’t hit this section in the best of shape. It made it quite interesting because for the first time I couldn’t rely on my physical conditioning to power through, but rather I had to will myself mentally through this one. Let’s get to it.

SUBSECTION 1 – CARATUNK TO MONSON
This is neat section in ME because out of the 167.3 miles I’ve done in ME so far (NH/ME line to Monson) this was the easiest piece of trail. The weather on this piece stayed dry, but it was hot and humid. Nonetheless, the dryness resolved a lot of the mud issues that I was hearing about from the previously week of multiple days of rain. Highlights in this section were the beach at Pleasant Pond, the summits of Pleasant Pond and Moxie Bald Mountains, the absolutely heavenly ripe blueberries on Moxie Bald, the loons at the ponds and Horseshoe Canyon.

This section was planned for 4 days and 3 nights out, but I ended up finishing it in 3 days and then took a zero on the 4th day.

SUBSECTION 2 – STRATTON TO CARATUNK
This section has Bigelow and Little Bigelow mountains in it, and they end up being almost half the section. The summits of the peaks of Bigelow were stunning, but the terrain had me dub this sucker “Big and Nasty”. It was more of the same hot and humid junk, but things took a turn on the first night. I was camped at Safford Notch, and it rained heavily for several hours during the night and kept going on as a lighter rain until lunchtime the next day. The heavy rain got a lot of my stuff damp, and I took on some water in the tent. Sil-nylon can only handle so much. It was warm so it wasn’t a big deal though.

I stayed at West Carry Pond the next night, but wasn’t able to dry anything out even though it cleared up as it was still humid and got a bit foggy overnight. Then I spent the third night at Pierce Pond. I got there earlier in the afternoon on a clear, hot breezy day, and the first thing I did was hang everything out to dry. It dried in like 20 minutes, and was a huge boost to moral. There were more loons at both ponds (I love loons because it’s a childhood memory from MN), and at Pierce pond there was a chorus of loons, bullfrogs and ducks going on all night, which was a weird combo but yet enjoyable.

Then of course there is the Kennebec ferry at the end of this section that was a neat experience.

SUBSECTION 3 – RANGELEY TO STRATTON
This was the beating. I came into this section a little worn out. This one is just 32 miles of going up and down the whole time, and the terrain ranges from moderately challenging (the Crockers and Lone Mountain) to the all-out ME smackdown stuff that resembles the Whites (Saddleback, Spaulding and the descent down the other side of the Spaulding ridge). Although I loved most of it I was ready to get the H…E…double hockey sticks out of there by the last day or two.

Highlights here are the summits of all the mountains. However, the Spaulding summit is not on the AT, and was fogged in when I went up there and North Crocker is wooded. My physical beating started with getting sunburnt and overheated going over Saddleback and the Horn. Got hit by a big T-storm that night at Reddington campsite. The next day was Saddleback Junior and it was all I could do to drag my arse to Spaulding Lean-to. Rained during the night and part of the next morning, so the hike over Spaulding pretty much blew. Drug my rear into the Crocker Cirque campsite and got some good rest. The cirque is really neat if you have a chance to check it out (continue up the blue blaze through the campsite about 0.3 miles off the AT). Got a very brief T-storm in the afternoon, and then it cleared out, cooled down and got drier. The next day was a pleasant hike in cool dry weather, but I was pretty beat when I got to the parking lot. I had to basically limp in because I had tweaked a tendon or something in my ankle a few days prior that was flaring up.

FINAL NOTES
So, with this trip in the books I have 155.9 miles left to finish the trail consisting of 41.4 miles in VA (Pinnacle Parking in SNP to VA 55 at Manassas Gap) and the final 114.5 miles from Monson to the summit of Katadhin. Hopefully somewhere around this time next year I’ll complete my section hike of the AT if all goes well.

jimmyjam
08-13-2018, 17:55
Hiked Marion, VA to Dragons Tooth VA. Hiked the White Mountains.

Naughty Pines
08-13-2018, 18:30
My wife and I recently purchased a beautiful piece of property near Little Wilson Falls (about 3 miles away) near the beginning of the hundred mile wilderness. We are hoping to host a few lucky hikers next year. We are 8 miles from the trail town of Monson ME. A great base camp for the 100 mile wilderness or day hikes to the falls or Baron Ledges. If you’re thru hiking and looking for the peace and quiet of the trail with all the benefits of a hostel (minus the chaos) or looking to section hike in the 100 mile wilderness private message us if interested.

u.w.
09-09-2018, 00:40
Finished (now yesterday) Saturday morning, 9/8/18 in the gravel parking lot off VT9 outside of Bennington, VT. That's every step, from the Approach Trail all the way to the sign on top of Katahdin, complete.

Was hoping to meet Gambit McCrae on this one as he was out hiking in the same area going the opposite direction (I went sobo f/Wentworth to VT9), but we missed seeing each other unfortunately .... I could write a novel right right about now... but... will not...
The signs were there all along... I did not know when I started this whole "I'm going to hike, and hike the AT" thing, that I was entering into a serious relationship with hiking and the AT. It became Very apparent to me as I began planning this last (now complete) section, and indeed hiking it too. I gave my heart to it so easily I didn't realize it at first... And now looking forward to the next & the next & the next...,

u.w.

Carl7
09-09-2018, 07:49
[QUOTE=u.w.;2222436]Finished (now yesterday) Saturday morning, 9/8/18 in the gravel parking lot off VT9 outside of Bennington, VT. That's every step, from the Approach Trail all the way to the sign on top of Katahdin, complete.

Congrats u.w.! Now it's time to start again with round 2!!!

My last big section to do is from Rutland, VT to Kent, CT. This weekend I start at Rutland in hopes of making it to Great Barrington for the section. I am so excited to go. During the prior section to Rutland, it was late July. I will be nice to hike this time in late September in cooler weather with maybe a little color in the leaves.

My prior section to that was in early April from Neal's Gap to the end of the Approach Trail. I had never hike the Approach Trail or the the last couple of miles from the last shelter to Springer. It's was so cool to hike south past so many hikers starting their journey to Katahdin. Their stories were awesome to hear.

Enjoy, Carl

u.w.
09-09-2018, 09:15
[QUOTE=u.w.;2222436]Finished (now yesterday) Saturday morning, 9/8/18 in the gravel parking lot off VT9 outside of Bennington, VT. That's every step, from the Approach Trail all the way to the sign on top of Katahdin, complete.

Congrats u.w.! Now it's time to start again with round 2!!!

My last big section to do is from Rutland, VT to Kent, CT. This weekend I start at Rutland in hopes of making it to Great Barrington for the section. I am so excited to go. During the prior section to Rutland, it was late July. I will be nice to hike this time in late September in cooler weather with maybe a little color in the leaves.

Enjoy, Carl

Thank you very much!

The views from atop Killington, Bromley, Baker peak, among many others, and the towers atop Straton Mtn & Glastenbury Mtn, are Amazing and "wow" worthy for sure. When you look across the mountains from a viewpoint, you can see all the mountains are just starting to change from green into the orange, red, and yellow colors that they will become. In a week, it will hopefully be even more so.

Thanks again, and I hope you have a super great hike!

u.w.

mkoltonuk
09-10-2018, 12:22
This is Bigfoot.
Started mid April from Pearisburg VA to Rockfish Gap. Then next day flew to Newberg, NY and hiked from Bear Mt bridge over the Hudson on up to Rutland VT by June 12, 2018. Have now completed trail from Springer to Rutland. Next June will continue from Rutland to Katahdin.