PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Tents

FLINGHAMMER
02-09-2006, 14:21
I'm about to buy my first tarp tent. I've always used an enclosed tent with a floor. I do most of my over nites in TENN and Georgia "hills". What about snakes crawling into my sleeping bag looking at night looking for a warm spot? Anybody have any advice or had this happen with an open tarp tent?

Hikes in Rain
02-09-2006, 14:55
Never had it happen, athough occasionally bugs invite themselves for a free meal. I've noticed (anecdotal info only!) that if my groundsheet is a little larger than the sleeping bag/pad combo, critters don't seem to like to cross that artificial "barrier" all that much.

FLINGHAMMER
02-09-2006, 15:07
Thanks for the info about the ground cloth. Ever heard of pouring baking soda in front of the tarp opening? I heard they won't cross that.

neo
02-09-2006, 15:45
Thanks for the info about the ground cloth. Ever heard of pouring baking soda in front of the tarp opening? I heard they won't cross that.

dont need no ground cloth here:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7105&c=577

QHShowoman
02-09-2006, 15:55
Have you considered a Henry Shires tarptent? You can get a model with a built in floor, sarficing a couple of ounces for peace of mind ... and sleep.

FLINGHAMMER
02-09-2006, 16:02
I'll take a look at Henry Shires and the hammocks. THANKS

D'Artagnan
02-09-2006, 16:14
Can't go wrong with a Shire's.

www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)

Jerm
02-09-2006, 16:30
if you are interested in a hammock, i just posted one for sale;

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12796

FLINGHAMMER
02-09-2006, 17:11
thanks Jerm...I'll have to run it thru my brain some more.

FLINGHAMMER
02-09-2006, 17:13
thanks D'Artagnan asesome site

Frosty
02-09-2006, 17:19
Have you considered a Henry Shires tarptent? You can get a model with a built in floor, sarficing a couple of ounces for peace of mind ... and sleep.I have a floorless Squall. The netting is long enough that it lies on the ground in a 4-6 inch band all around the sides. I cut a 2 MIL painters drop cloth big enough to overlap the netting. Keeps out flying bugs and most crawlers. Ants are dedicated, though.

Biggest advantage of floorless is that after a rain, myfloored tent bottom is muddy and it is not easy to wash out. With a floorless tarptent and a ground sheet, the tarptent doesn't get muddy, and it is easy to swoosh the groundsheet in a stream to wash off mud.

Also, when sheltering, the goundsheet can be used under bag/pad to keep them clean.

Kerosene
02-09-2006, 17:45
Take a look at the Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com) tarptents also.

FLINGHAMMER
02-09-2006, 20:06
thanks Frosty and Kerosene

Aramis
03-14-2006, 21:08
I'm looking at tarptents too. My Wilderness Equipment First Arrow has done sterling service for 15 years, but at close to 4 kilos (nearly 9 pounds!) it's..um..., well embarrassing :)

I'm leaning toward the Six Moon Lunar Solo. At 700 grams it's 100 grams or so lighter than the Tarptent Virga And 3100 grams lighter than my Arrow. Hell, it's 100 grams lighter than my sand shoes! You can sit up in it without scooting up to your pillow and it only needs the one pole (short walking/fighting staff aka jo). 6 pegs is a lot, but there's always swings and roundabouts. The Virga's prettier though (Mmm...those taut, shapely curves!), and would do a better job when (if) I got lucky :) Who am I kidding? If by some bizarre twist of fate I did get lucky, there's plenty of flat terrain around to get lucky on! :p

roxy33x
03-15-2006, 12:10
I am looking at the Henry shire tarp tents with the attached floor and mesh for bug protection... but due to the airyness, has anyone ever used it in the really cold weather? I would expect it to be considerably colder than a normal tent that is single walled and conected at the floor. Any opinions?

Mammoth
03-15-2006, 13:10
I am looking at the Henry shire tarp tents with the attached floor and mesh for bug protection... but due to the airyness, has anyone ever used it in the really cold weather? I would expect it to be considerably colder than a normal tent that is single walled and conected at the floor. Any opinions?

I can answer this one. I just got my Squall II tarptent on Monday. We also got a pretty solid blizzard on Monday. I slept in the tent last night and (with wind chill) the temp got down to about 5 degrees fahrenheit with deep snow. I was using a zero degree synthetic bag and a cheap sleeping pad and I was very comfortable and warm. I staked down the extra points on the tent and it wasn't windy or anything inside the tent. I think that it performed as well as a regular tent in cold weather.

Marta
03-15-2006, 13:40
Yes, the tarptents are cooler than conventional tents. You can extend their temp. range by 1) selecting a site sheltered from the wind 2) pull the silnylon down close to the ground 3) pile dry leaves around the mesh on the windward side. A little experimentation is in order so you can figure out the tent/bag/pad/clothing combinations you need at colder temperatures.

C-Stepper
03-15-2006, 18:24
I can answer this one. I just got my Squall II tarptent on Monday. We also got a pretty solid blizzard on Monday. I slept in the tent last night and (with wind chill) the temp got down to about 5 degrees fahrenheit with deep snow. I was using a zero degree synthetic bag and a cheap sleeping pad and I was very comfortable and warm. I staked down the extra points on the tent and it wasn't windy or anything inside the tent. I think that it performed as well as a regular tent in cold weather.

No trouble with the Squall II collapsing in snow? I have a regular Squall, and wet snow collects near the foot, pulling down the main pole and stake. I have yet to find a way to keep it up without staying up all night, knocking the snow off the top. Just wonderin, they don't look all that different, so it seems that would still happen with the 2 version (?)

Rambler
03-15-2006, 21:13
Check out the 2005 Rainbow tent from Tarptent:

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

hshires
03-16-2006, 15:55
re: Tarptents and snow, the Rainbow is definitely the best shelter we make for handling snow loads. Properly staked down (in thin snow) or with ski poles at each end in deep snow (with snow piled over the poles to secure them), the Rainbow will handle lots of wind and snow just fine. If you take a couple of minutes to build snow walls around the mesh, you'll find that they block spindrift and limit cold air blowing through very well.

Henry Shires
Tarptent

roxy33x
03-17-2006, 14:57
So nice to hear it from the original! So, one more question. If I get the Rainbow, do I have any chance of getting wet? I was planning on getting a down bag but I dont want to risk it getting damp. Also, does this mean I should get a bag that goes down in colder weather? I was planning on getting a 20 deg. down. Any suggestions?

hshires
03-17-2006, 15:12
My advice for a down bag for ANY SHELTER used in wet climates is one with a water resistant shell (dryloft, pertex etc.). The work well and take care of the inevitable droplets and general dampness that you'll encounter in a Tarptent or any other shelter on the trail, not to mention hiking all day in the rain and getting your pack soaked. So..the short answer is the Rainbow will keep the rain off and you'll stay comfortably warm but the extra insurance of a good bag shell is well worth it.

neo
03-17-2006, 15:50
:D yabadadoo:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10085&catid=member&imageuser=3462