PDA

View Full Version : Do contact people wear glasses on the trail?

White Chocolate
02-09-2006, 14:38
Hey guys,
Just had a thought. I usually wear glasses, but I may opt for contacts on the trail. For those with less than eagle eyes what decision did you make or will you make? Glasses or contacts?

THanks

Hikes in Rain
02-09-2006, 14:45
Way less than eagle eyes, more like bats. Or moles. Anyway, I wear my contacts. Carry glasses as backup, of course, and for those after bed trips to the woods. If you don't wear them contacts now and plan to on your hike(s), I'd certainly advice getting them early so you're used to handling them in less than sanitary conditions. Just make sure your hands are as clean as you can get them before messing with them. My preference is alcohol based hand cleaner, followed by a good thorough (!) rinse with drinking water.

expenditioner
02-09-2006, 15:07
Glasses...been wearing them on trail for over 25 years

peter_pan
02-09-2006, 15:28
Glasses for 50+ years...less hassle.

Pan

D'Artagnan
02-09-2006, 16:03
Just like everyday life -- contacts during the day, eyeglasses at night. Normally carry a spare pair of contacts just in case.

SnackMan
02-09-2006, 16:18
Glasses are fine.. easier.. especialy when you are getting up in the night and need quick sight. Sanitary/grit issues as well when you have not showered or washed for a couple days at least, didn't waunt to put that stuff in my eytes... although some people do not seem to have a problem.plus you do not need to carry washing fluid, case, and wories about loosing or ripping one. Even when beaten up glasses can still be made to work untill you get to a town. The only problem i sthat sometimes in certain wheather conditions they can fog up. If you plan on swimming with them on take a thingy that goes around the back in case they fall off.

hammock engineer
02-09-2006, 17:18
Glasses, no other option for me. They usually only fog up in the rain when I have the hood on my rain coat on. I am looking into a different hat, that way I don't need to wear the hood. Should fix most of the problem.

brz
02-09-2006, 21:10
I've had very, very bad experiences with contact lenses and will NEVER wear them again.

Personal hygene is critical. you will have to carefully clean your hands WITH SOAP before putting them in. You will have to be very fastidious about both cleaning and inserting them.

Folks, if you haven't lived out in the wilderness under stress alot, there are some really nasty bugs you can pick up.

A friend of mine who just returned from snow-boarding in Colorado is now currently being treated for Gardia - in Colorado?!

For myself, I will only wear glasses out on the trail.

Almost There
02-09-2006, 22:22
Got laser surgery instead...easier than contacts or glasses...and now I have 20/15 vision.

gsingjane
02-10-2006, 08:22
I switch off between contacts and glasses at home, but on the trail, it's strictly glasses. Like the other posters say, it is critical to keep your hands and the case clean when using contacts, and sometimes I'm just not able to do that... plus all the solutions are an extra weight to carry. I've had several NASTY eye infections from unclean lenses or improper care and they seem to be getting more frequent as I get older for some reason. Also, I like keeping my glasses right next to my head (in the tent-side pocket) so I can zip them on in the middle of the night if it's necessary.

Jane in CT

otterman
02-10-2006, 10:12
I usually wear disposable contacts, but when I go on a trip I have my optometrist order some extended wear contacts. That way I don't have to touch them for several days. I also carry glasses as a backup just in case.

TN_Hiker
02-10-2006, 11:03
Wear glasses all the time. I tried the contact thingy for about a year and felt it was too much hassle at home -- I couldn't imagine it on the trail. I'm looking for a good, lightweight, very sturdy case to carry my backup pair of glasses. Has anyone found a suitable hardside case?

astrogirl
02-11-2006, 11:33
I'm with Hikes In Rain. My eyesight is very very bad, so of course I bring a pair of glasses as a back up.

Glasses while hiking drive me nuts. I've been wearing contacts since I was 12 though, so it's a very familiar routine.

I've never had an eye infection, and I don't find it hard to get my hands clean at night and in the AM to get the lenses in and out.

Hikes in Rain
02-11-2006, 22:22
"Only" been wearing them since 15 (but hey, that put it in the several decades range) so, as you mention, astrogirl, it's just routine, and the stuff needed is just unavoidable weight. About like brushing your teeth in importance. Only eye infection I ever had was viral, nothing to do with the contacts. Ghess what I'm saying is, they're so much a part of me, I just can't envision hiking (or any other activity) without them. "If there was a fire, I'm out the window with my contacts and my pants. If hard pressed, forget the pants."

astrogirl
02-11-2006, 23:19
"Only" been wearing them since 15 (but hey, that put it in the several decades range) so, as you mention, astrogirl, it's just routine, and the stuff needed is just unavoidable weight. About like brushing your teeth in importance. Only eye infection I ever had was viral, nothing to do with the contacts. Ghess what I'm saying is, they're so much a part of me, I just can't envision hiking (or any other activity) without them. "If there was a fire, I'm out the window with my contacts and my pants. If hard pressed, forget the pants."

LOL! You and me both!

I suspect my mother would say the same thing as that's where I got the nearsighted gene and she was the forward thinking mama that decided I might as well go for contacts (hard, of course) at age 12 as I'd want them anyway. I have never worn glasses on a daily basis.

dje97001
02-12-2006, 00:57
Contacts are the primary, glasses will be a backup (and for evenings if we need them).

lilmountaingirl
02-12-2006, 12:46
I normally wear contact lenses...even on hiking trips. I hate wearing my glasses for physical activity (tennis, field hockey, sports, et). But, I finally decided to just wear my glasses for my thru-hike. Although dealing with contact lenses on a daily basis is second nature, glasses are less hassle in the long run. I don't want to worry about solution, getting up in the middle of the night, etc. It's going to take some getting used to but I'm okay with that. :)

HeartFire
02-12-2006, 14:58
I wear contacts, they are the 'focus night and day' I put them in the begining of the month and don't take them out till the following month! although my optometrist wants me to change them every 2 weeks while out hiking. (this is in lieu of cleaning them every 2 weeks, I won't have to carry any solutions) these are the most comfortable contacts I've every tried. I do have to put drops in my eyes in the morning when I get up cause they feel dry, but thats it. and its just a tiny bottle. I will have sunglasses