PDA

View Full Version : My 2017 post hike hammock setup breakdown

Shrewd
01-14-2018, 10:37
I forgot I never posted this here, only on hammock forums.

My bad, gang

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/thru-hiking-appalachian-trail-hammock/

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180114/da7921b926365ce8c8df825ec760649b.jpg

Vanhalo
01-14-2018, 12:08
That said I’d still take an under quilt again. They’re much more comfortable (for me) and are worth it for the great sleep I consistently got.

If I were going to thru-hike my Big 3 hammock setup would be:

Backpack: ULA Ohm 2.0 (30lb max) - 34 oz.
Hammock: SL 1.7 Blackbird XLC - 70D w/Dyneema 15' Straps - 25.3 oz.
Tarp: Hammock Gear - 11' CF Palace 9.14 oz.
TQ: JRB Hudson River Quilt (+1 oz.) 30° + (13° w/JRB liner) - 22.5oz.
Partial UQ: JRB Greylock 3 (+1 oz.) 20° w/ UQP + (13° w/JRB liner) - 19 oz.
Foot Pad: Dutch Folding Sit Pad .67 oz.
Luxury Item: JRB Fleece Quilt Liner (Summer Blanket) - 18 oz.

Around 8lbs.

I would swap out the 30° Hudson River TQ at some point for a 17.5 oz. 40° JRB Sierra Stealth but I would keep the liner/summer blanket.

May or may not bring Under Quilt Protector...I didn't see that in your gear.

Did you use one?

Shrewd
01-14-2018, 16:51
Nah no protector.

And I hear you on that winter palace; I yearn, I lust.

In any real heavy rainfall the bottom of my UQ got wet. It actually caused some concern and I’d constantly tough it to see how wet. It was mostly surface water from splash up (one reason I wanted the larger tarp) and literally never effected my warmth so, shrug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrewd
01-14-2018, 16:54
I wouldn’t think you’d need the liner.

It’s all about the under quilt; it’s more important. There were days I left the UQ on and shoved the top quilt up by my feet because it was too warm. One night it got colder early in the morning and I couldn’t get my quilt out - I’d tucked it in the ridgine and in my grogginess couldn’t get it straight so I just kicked it away and pulled my puffy over me and was content.

The foot pad is pretty important, especially if you use a 3/4 length UQ

Vanhalo
01-14-2018, 16:55
Nah no protector.
In any real heavy rainfall the bottom of my UQ got wet. It actually caused some concern and I’d constantly tough it to see how wet. It was mostly surface water from splash up (one reason I wanted the larger tarp) and literally never effected my warmth so, shrug.

Good to know.

I use it more to block the wind from stealing warmth from the UQ.

I may take it off and do some more testing with these frigid temps.

Vanhalo
01-14-2018, 17:00
I wouldn’t think you’d need the liner.

It’s all about the under quilt; it’s more important. There were days I left the UQ on and shoved the top quilt up by my feet because it was too warm. One night it got colder early in the morning and I couldn’t get my quilt out - I’d tucked it in the ridgine and in my grogginess couldn’t get it straight so I just kicked it away and pulled my puffy over me and was content.

The foot pad is pretty important, especially if you use a 3/4 length UQ

My testing has revealed that the quilt liner is a critical piece in extending the warmth of my Hudson River TQ and adding to my overall comfort.

Here is some sample data:

My UQ has yet to fail me from 60°-10° and I always use an UQP.

Shrewd
01-14-2018, 22:29
Damn quite the record keeping.

I never really had a wind issue. The only time my underquilt wasn’t enough was the third night with a wind chill of -10. No 20 degree quilt can survive that, but I was ok wearing all my clothes (read: miserable) with my feet inside my pack

Vanhalo
01-14-2018, 22:34
My PASS ratings are based on Comfort.

I don't want to be miserable.

Probably why I am attached to my quilt liner like Linus.

It's 25° right now and I am getting ready to head out with the Hudson River 30° TQ and the liner.