PDA

View Full Version : Possible guests for Trailcast????

lobster
02-09-2006, 15:12
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Lone Wolf, when are you going to be interviewed?

Who else might be a wealth of info? Warren Doyle?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

chris
02-09-2006, 15:17
I'd like to see Chance (Money) interviewed as I think he'd have a lot of interesting things to say, not just about the PCT, but about life in general. Also, Ken and Marcia. Cave Dog might be interesting.

Nokia
02-09-2006, 15:25
Healed would make for an interesting interview. Nimblewill Nomad. Bob Peoples is always great to talk to. I bet Keith Jr. in Monson has some pretty good stories and he's a riot! I think it would be interesting to talk to a potential thruhiker that DIDN'T finish. What went wrong? What would they change? Would they do it again? Obviously not someone that quit the first week, but someone with a little insight. I know Prime Numbers from the Outfitter in Harpers had to leave trail and he's going to try again. Also maybe a quick interview with folks preparing for the trail. Then keep tabs and check in later on.
There are so many interesting people out there. What a great idea trailcast is.

gargamel
02-09-2006, 15:41
What a great idea trailcast is.

I first learned about trailcast from one of your trailjournals entries. Since then I have enjoyed every single interview. Thank's for pointing my nose on this site. :)

Red Cake
02-09-2006, 16:19
Hi Guys,
Yes, I would love to talk with Nimblewill Nomad, and have attempted to contact him on several occasions, by email and post. Hopefully one day we will connect.. I have also made contact with Bob Peoples and plan on an interview with him soon. I am getting amazing interview suggestions lately and am following up on most of them.. I’m pleased you are enjoying the conversations..<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
-Bob Butler (www.trailcast.org)<o:p></o:p>

Squeaky 2
02-09-2006, 16:26
Nean would be a great person to interview-triple triple crowner!!! how the trails have changed, equipment etc
and when is scot williamson going to get interviewed. the determination he showed to yoyo the PCT is one of my greatest inspirations in hiking.

Squeaky 2
02-09-2006, 16:54
oh yeah what about David Horton, now theres some material for a great interview.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2006, 18:53
In addition to many of the folks mentioned above, I think it'd be very interesting to hear from Winton Porter who runs the Trail's first Outfitter at Neel Gap, and also Wayne Crosby and Jeff Patrick, who run the shops in Hot Springs and Damascus, respectively. I think they'd have a great deal to say about what folks are carrying, and how they alter their gear and packload as they proceed down the Trail.

Pat and Vicki at the Doyle would have some great stories, too.

Further North, Trail Angels Tom Levardi and Rob Bird would have some interesting things to say about hikers who've made it as far as Dalton, MA.

And I think Steve Longley in Caratunk would be a fascinating interview; he's probably met as many of the folks who've done the whole Trail as ANYONE.

lobster
02-09-2006, 21:14
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Maineak

Ward Leonard
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tha Wookie
02-09-2006, 21:17
Are there any Earl recordings that could be transfered to a pod?

Lone Wolf
02-09-2006, 22:03
I just listened to B. Jack's interview. Pretty good. I'd have a ball with an interview!:)

kyhipo
02-09-2006, 22:06
How come no one acknowledges seiko???? has he not hiked the trail several times:-?

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2006, 22:10
Many of us have acknowledged him for years. I personally think he'd be a great interview, but he's never sought out the spotlight in any way, and I'm not sure he'd be interested.

Sly
02-09-2006, 22:11
I'd like to hear someone the ATC and others from major trail organizations such as the CDTS (and A) the PCTA and/or the AHS speak of the future of the trails, protection and activism.

kyhipo
02-09-2006, 22:14
Many of us have acknowledged him for years. I personally think he'd be a great interview, but he's never sought out the spotlight in any way, and I'm not sure he'd be interested.your probably right he is kinda low key guy,was a nice person and If I am correct he was a military man.

lobster
02-09-2006, 22:53
How about Rusty!

Sly
02-09-2006, 22:56
How about Rusty!

LOL... Now that's funny. Maybe he can interview from the phone at Jerry's Cabin.

weary
02-09-2006, 23:44
How about Rusty!
Rusty would be excellent. Or any long term hostel manager.

For whatever reason, the person who sticks most in my mind from 1993 was Pirate. Who would lay on his bunk, silent for an hour or more and then come up with a great and very funny story. Paw Paw, who finished in his 80s a few years ago would also be a great interview if his health remains good.

Weary

smokymtnsteve
02-09-2006, 23:48
yea Pirate,,hehehe

Sly
02-09-2006, 23:49
Weary, funny you should mention Pirate and PawPaw I was thinking of both.

A mixed interview from one of the Gatherings or Rucks or Trail Days would also make an good podcast.

The Desperado
02-10-2006, 00:36
How about my fellow trail angel up north...Tom Larvardy [?] up in Dalton. The last time I was up that way and stopped by to say hello we determined that although I started with various trail activities in 1962 , he has actually been an active trail angel [ I believe} for many years . I had done trail main,then shelter main.. Then Trail angel "work". for me actually started in 1969-70 off and on and not steady until the 1980's, but he has done it steady for many years. Also Paw Paw would be great, we've been friends for many years & he is a interesting fella!

Cuppa Joe
02-10-2006, 04:34
What about:

Tilly Wood -from Woodshole
Trail Angel Mary -- From Duncannon

or pick a thru hiker starting this year, interview them before they start, at the halfway point, and then after they finish. If he/she doesn't make it all the way then after they get off.

freefall
02-10-2006, 04:52
What about:

or pick a thru hiker starting this year, interview them before they start, at the halfway point, and then after they finish. If he/she doesn't make it all the way then after they get off.

Would be interesting to see from the "outside" the changes(perspective/ attitude, etc..), if any in him or her.

Good idea, imo.

TJ aka Teej
02-10-2006, 08:30
Pat Shaw, before she leaves Maine for good.

kyhipo
02-10-2006, 08:56
Paw Paw :clap :clap nice feller hiked with him few times ky

Squeaky 2
02-10-2006, 10:28
Steve Perry. he is hiking all the munros in scotland continuosly and in winter!!! his will be a great story. check out www.tgomagazine.co.uk (http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk) or .com they have regular updates and links to his website.

weary
02-10-2006, 10:43
Dave Field, former president and chief idea person for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, who began maintaining his section of the Appalachian Trail 50 years ago and has continued to maintain most of the same six miles every year since.

He began as a teenager growing up in a tiny Maine town in the shadow of Saddleback and continues as a maintainer as he prepares to retire as head of the Forestry Department at the University of Maine.

In addition to his long service to the ATC, Dave has served in every conceivable position in the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, from maintainer, to president. He currently is Overseer of Lands, the 35,000 acres purchased by the National Park Service to provide a trail corridor in Maine.

No one in modern times has done more for the Appalachian Trail.

Weary

The Desperado
02-10-2006, 11:15
Tilly Wood & Pat Shaw would also be terrific. Pat since she will be off & moving soon & Tilly for her many years in that unique spot and meeting so many over such a period of time. Of Course Dave Field & I very much liked cuppa joe's idea of picking a thru & interviews at start,middle,and end etc.

soulrebel
02-10-2006, 12:52
sarbar--backcountry cooking essentials and freezer bag cooking class in audio. Techniques for group cooking.

*hijack---on a sidenote--a zagat's guide to diner food along long-distance trails. lol

Red Cake
02-10-2006, 17:19
Wow.. These are amazing suggestions.. My to-contact list has tripled in size... My hats off to this ad hoc research team..

-Bob www.trailcast.org

Mags
02-10-2006, 18:35
Try Donna Saufley over in PCT land. The PCT is a bit less developed than the AT, but is becoming more "AT like" in some ways. She is probably an excellent person to talk about the evolution of this trail.

www.hikerheaven.com/

calearn
02-10-2006, 18:43
Some others besides those mentioned above...

AT:
Anyone in Warren's post - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=154796&postcount=167, including Warren.

CDT:
Jim Wolf, founder of CDTS - keep abreast of issues affecting the trail in the future http://www.cdtsociety.org/
Spirit Eagle, Jim and Ginny - know the most misc. factoids of anyone about the past history of the trail http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt.html

PCT:
Jeff & Donna ("L-Rod") Saufley - have met every PCT hiker for the last nine years at hiker heaven http://www.hikerheaven.com/
Billy Goat, hiked the PCT more often than anyone. http://www.trailjournals.com/meadowmary/
Greg "Strider" Hummel - http://siechert.org/adz/

OTHER:
Walkin' Jim Stoltz - http://www.walkinjim.com/

Skidsteer
02-10-2006, 18:59
How about Chip Rawlins, co-author of the latest "The Complete Walker"?

Whistler
02-10-2006, 19:00
Wow, lots of great suggestions already. Bob, you better get busy.[-er]

I think Glen van Peski could also be a good one. Founder of Gossamer Gear, one of the leaders in ultralight equipment design. Even cooler, he's also been a Pacific Crest Trail Association board member for the past couple years, and teaches for Wilderness Outings, which is kind of like a NOLS for SoCal. He also seems like a really nice, generous guy who does a good bit of charitable work.

-Mark

Topcat
02-10-2006, 20:17
I think it would be cool to go up to Springer as the number of people starting their hikes is increasing to interview a variety of people on the summit about who they are, why they are hiking, what do they anticipate.

You could follow up 5 months later in Maine and do the same.

lobster
02-10-2006, 20:27
Weathercarrot

Sly
02-10-2006, 21:07
Greg Hummel one of the organizers for the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off Party or ADZPCTKOP and 1977 PCT thru-hiker.

SavageLlama
02-10-2006, 23:09
Bob - keep up the good work with Trailcast. The interviews keep getting better.

Red Cake
02-11-2006, 00:04
Thanks for the encouragement, SavageLlama.. I'm having a lot of fun talking with these people.. I have thought about covering Traildays or Trailfest. I have attended neither. I think it would be fun to combine this with a section hike..

-Bob www.trailcast.org

attroll
02-11-2006, 02:36
Thanks for the encouragement, SavageLlama.. I'm having a lot of fun talking with these people.. I have thought about covering Traildays or Trailfest. I have attended neither. I think it would be fun to combine this with a section hike..

-Bob www.trailcast.org (http://www.trailcast.org)

If you attend Trail Days you would be able to catch a lot of these folks. I met a lot of them at Trail Days last year.

A-Train
02-11-2006, 12:50
Brian Frankle, owner of ULA packs and gear. His packs have become THE pack of choice for PCT hikers over the last 5 or so years. Many use them on the AT. Support a small local company!

Tha Wookie
02-11-2006, 13:31
I'm not sure if I got his job title right, but Jeff leads the effort within the AHS and the many trail clubs involved in the Southern Trails Innitiative, which seeks to link and build a 5,000 mile trail network in the southeast.

He has been doing presentations at hiker gatherings, which are riveting! You should cover him, Bob, and help get the word out about this unprecedented effort to build a network of trails reminiscent of pre-colonial days.

Nean
02-11-2006, 14:48
I have thought about covering Traildays or Trailfest. I think it would be fun to combine this with a section hike..

-Bob www.trailcast.org (http://www.trailcast.org)

We would enjoy having you at Trailfest, April 21- 23!! Spread the word about Trailcast, etc. I'll see if we can get you a room too. We might need an emcee ...any interest? Very nice section between the 2 as well.

Sly
02-11-2006, 17:55
Bob, if you come to Trailfest I'll be doing the ALDHA booth, stop by and introduce youself.

hustler
02-11-2006, 20:21
Trailcast Rocks! I'm a big fan. I would like to hear a program on the "other" big three, the JMT, CT, and LT. There hasn't been all that much coverage on them. Also I think Model T and Easy One would both be good interviews. Thanks Bob!

Dances with Mice
02-11-2006, 20:43
Our own Hammock Hanger, for a study in perseverance.

Island Momma, another female long distance hiker with connections to Whiteblaze.

Bramble. But that might turn into a 5-hour podcast before you could get him to shut up.

lobster
02-12-2006, 12:33
Beorn?????

hustler
02-12-2006, 12:39
Please no Bramble, I've already ran into him way too many times. Is that dude for real or what?

Dances with Mice
02-12-2006, 13:03
Please no Bramble, I've already ran into him way too many times. Is that dude for real or what?Beorn interviewing Bramble!

I was trying to think of some female long distance hikers before. I don't know why I didn't think of WB member JoJo Smiley.

Tha Wookie
02-13-2006, 01:28
Island Momma, another female long distance hiker with connections to Whiteblaze.

Island Mama is on a trailcast already. We did one with Bob in the French Quarter this summer.

Disney
02-13-2006, 01:33
I like Bramble, he's a good guy.
I'd also like to hear from Squeaky, the whole 40+ miles a day every day is insane, but I met him at Miss Janet's just before Christmas and he was a wonderfuly friendly guy.
This

Disney
02-13-2006, 01:35
(sorry)

may sound crazy but I'd actually like to hear what Elwood has to say, if you could get him to be honest that is.

Of course, SGT Rock, but that's more for an update on how he's doing. Anyone know?