PDA

View Full Version : Why did you switch away FROM hammocks to tents are ground tarps?

blw2
01-14-2018, 21:57
I'm mildly thinking about trying hammock, after watching several of the folks i follow on youtube that are hangers.... several obvious advantages....disadvantages too.... and I'm a side sleeper so I have concerns I've only napped in some backyard hammocks (spreader bar types). Never really tried a nice gathered end one.........My son has a small eno like knock-off, I've tired it but its a bit too small. Still, I can see some positives....

So to those of you that have tried hammock camping ....I mean really tried it, like for more than just a night or two.... why did you stop and switch to a tent?

OCDave
01-14-2018, 23:38
Never gonna happen! My hammock system is dialed in and more comfortable than any bed in my house.

Knee Jerk
01-14-2018, 23:48
Well, I know this isn't what you asked for, but I'm a side sleeper too and sleeping in a hammock is MUCH more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. (I'm too old to sleep on the ground.)

johnspenn
01-15-2018, 00:09
At home in bed I sleep on my side and front, never on my back, and am an active sleeper, turning all night. In a hammock I sleep flat on my back comfortably. I think it's the lack of pressure points in a hammock compared to a bed (or the ground if you're in a tent). As always HYOH and YMMV etc etc...

Rain Man
01-15-2018, 01:07
Well, I had the opposite experience. Used/tried tents and switched to hammocks. More comfortable. Easier to camp just about anywhere. Can use various rainflies (try THAT with a tent).

dudeijuststarted
01-15-2018, 01:21
I can sleep on my side just fine in a hammock. Instead of rolling over, though, you just have to lift your butt in the air and get on your side in the middle of the hammock. Chances are you're going to want to roll much less.

Dogwood
01-15-2018, 01:51
How about this? Don't give up tents or hammocks or bivys or tarps or... Have a choice of shelters depending on the conditions.

I'm a side sleeper and love a hammock in steep jungle warm weather seasons. There will be others offering better advice than I can how to sleep comfortably as a side sleeper in a hammock. What I do know is having the right type of set up and how you hang play vital rolls.

fastfoxengineering
01-15-2018, 03:38
Cause there are places on this planet where tenting/tarping on the ground is more ideal than hammocking.

Hammock
Tarp
Singlewall tent
Double wall tent
Bivy

Different shelters I use for different hikes.

I've also laid in some incorrectly hung hammocks that rival some bad ground dwelling nights.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

chknfngrs
01-15-2018, 07:56
I use both.

hipbone
01-15-2018, 08:15
I'm mildly thinking about trying hammock, after watching several of the folks i follow on youtube that are hangers.... several obvious advantages....disadvantages too.... and I'm a side sleeper so I have concerns I've only napped in some backyard hammocks (spreader bar types). Never really tried a nice gathered end one.........My son has a small eno like knock-off, I've tired it but its a bit too small. Still, I can see some positives....

So to those of you that have tried hammock camping ....I mean really tried it, like for more than just a night or two.... why did you stop and switch to a tent?I use both, but my hammock is reserved for warm weather. My underquilt is a 30 degree, so under 45 degrees as a low and I'll take my tent. Also, above treeline of course I'll take a tent (Colorado trail). I also took a tent on the Long trail because I knew we'd be using shelters a lot; I didn't want to take an underquilt AND a sleeping pad. I find hammocks extremely comfortable and very fun to use

tflaris
01-15-2018, 09:06
I use both. Depends upon the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyle
01-15-2018, 09:16
Weight. Ground sleeping system is lighter.

Vanhalo
01-15-2018, 09:20
I was some what of a side sleeper.
A couch sleeper really for most of my life.
I sleep in a hammock just fine in the mummy diagonal position.
The best sleep I have ever had has been recently in my hammock.
I especially like it when I get a little baby crib rock from the NW winds.

4shot
01-15-2018, 09:42
I have a hammock/quilts/rainfly (all from the more respected hammock vendors) . I also have a couple of tents (tarptent, Nemo) and good sleeping pads (exped, NEMO). I don't notice a difference in sleep quality (it's never as good as it is in my bed). I think it does require an investment in the right sleeping pad to bring the sleep quality up to what a hammock provides. (This is critical and perhaps the one reason most will tell you that a hammock is more comfortable than the ground!). I cannot sleep on one of those cheap blue closed cell foam pads or even a self inflating Thermarest.

I like the options associated with my hammock system (I can set up the tarp only if necessary, use the hammock for a midday rest). However, I can get my tent system set up faster than I can get my hammock system dialed in. Others will disagree (some strongly) with this so ymmv. Sometimes it is hard to locate a good tent site (relatively flat and level), other times I have difficulty finding a good hammock spot (trees of right girth, correct distance apart, room for fly set-up).

So, like most other things, there is no "one size fits all" answer or that is what you would see everyone carrying. I mix it up but if you forced me to pick one for my next trip,I would go with my tent/pad/bag option.

DuneElliot
01-15-2018, 11:02
I also use both...just depends on the trip. I tend to go for the hammock when I am going alone. I am a side and front sleeper but do just fine in a hammock on my back or turned slightly so sorta on my side. I find that needing trees when I'm with others makes it harder for others who tent camp to find spots, or I end up being too far from the group. It also depends on the location and whether there WILL be trees.

My tent is always up quicker than my hammock and tarp set-up, likely due to less experience with the hammock and tarp. The tent is just easy.

I also have dogs.

Recalc
01-15-2018, 11:50
My sleeping system uses a NeoAir XTherm instead of an underquilt. Use my hammock most of the time. When temperatures drop below 30 F, the XTherm starts to feel pretty cold. That's when I take the tent.

pettas
01-15-2018, 14:25
The only time I go back to a tarp tent (or actual tent) is when my dog is with me. I haven't figured out a good way to have both of us in a hammock and I don't want her to have to lie under me all night long.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

devoidapop
01-15-2018, 14:37
Solo, I have only ever taken my hammock. In the future, if I'm hiking with a partner who is in a tent or tarp I'll do the same. It can be a pain to find a good campsite that fits both setups. Especially if I'm with somebody who has a 2p tent doesn't mind sharing! Less for me to carry :)

Feral Bill
01-15-2018, 14:51
Sometimes there are no trees (desert, tundra).

BuckeyeBill
01-15-2018, 15:00
I agree with Feral Bill. I have been known to setup my hammock and tarp with my hiking poles. Yes I am on the ground, but I am out of the weather and bug free with the summer cover.

ggreaves
01-15-2018, 16:30
don't give in to the urge to side sleep in a hammock. just try it on your back and you'll find after a night or two, you wake up in the exact same position you started in. no pressure points. fully supported. like sleeping on a cloud once it's dialed in.

TX Aggie
01-15-2018, 20:40
I use a hammock and tarp system, and here are the reasons I would consider switching back to a tent:

-You absolutely NEED a floor. If you have habitual Pack explosions in with your gear, it can be a little more difficult to keep all that together under a tarp
-No trees. But even then, you can easily use your tarp on the ground and just use a bivy and a pad
-speed is of the essence: this can go to either advantage, tent or hammock. A simple tent can be very quick to set up. But, if there’s little wind and no chance of rain, it’s hard to beat the speed of a hammock without the tarp deployed. Absolutely no ground stakes are required.

As far as weather is concerned: I honestly used to think a tent and sleeping bag is warmer. But honestly, a properly rated quilt system outperforms any pad on the snow. Especially once you get to the point that you need to double up pads.

I’ve never gotten that “hammock bliss” sleep that many talk about, mainly because I have a very comfy bed at home. But I will say that as others have mentioned I’m a side sleeper at home but perfectly comfortable on my back in a hammock, and I’m always more comfortable in a hammock than any pad I’ve slept on.

This past weekend I did my first winter hiking trip. At home, I don’t go to bed until midnight, but that’s just not an option when winter camping. So there I was at 7 pm wondering what the hell I was going to do for the next 5 hours before my typical bed time. I fell asleep trying to decide on something. I did wake up a couple of times, which is common even at home, but nothing that kept me awake for an extended time. And even with the thermometer hovering around 0 degrees F, I was very warm and cozy.

So yes, there are reasons why you may switch back from hammocks to tents. Some people just don’t find them comfortable. But most find that they are at least more comfortable than a ground system. And for the record: it’s quite easy to get a hammock and quilt system that is just as light or within a few ounces as a typical lightweight tent setup.

Shutterbug
01-16-2018, 12:26

So to those of you that have tried hammock camping ....I mean really tried it, like for more than just a night or two.... why did you stop and switch to a tent?
I prefer my hammock, but there are several reasons I use a tent instead of the hammock:

1. When my wife hikes with me, we use a tent. We have not found two person hammocks to be as comfortable.

2. Regulations -- Some of the places I hike don't allow hammocks. And, some places, like the Grand Canyon, require that one stay within a prescribed camp site. Most of the camp sites don't have trees suitable for hanging.

3. Not enough trees -- I often hike along the Pacific Crest Trail above the timber line. Finding good places to hang is a challenge.

4. Trees too big -- In Washington State, many of the trees are too large for normal straps. Even with over-size straps, it is difficult because the trees are too far apart. I often find it easier to use a tent when I hike the coastal trails.

saltysack
01-17-2018, 08:52
I agree with Feral Bill. I have been known to setup my hammock and tarp with my hiking poles. Yes I am on the ground, but I am out of the weather and bug free with the summer cover.

With that set up in mind....I’ve been on the fence about trying a hammock after sleeping great in one last spring during an the Everglades challenge paddle race. Is there any hammock tarps that serve well also on the ground as solo ground tarp..want a UL cuben tarp that does both...does that exist?

DuneElliot
01-17-2018, 09:58
With that set up in mind....I’ve been on the fence about trying a hammock after sleeping great in one last spring during an the Everglades challenge paddle race. Is there any hammock tarps that serve well also on the ground as solo ground tarp..want a UL cuben tarp that does both...does that exist?

I like my Gammock Gear Winter Palace for both...which is why I got it. Serves as an A-frame tent on the ground and is palatial! Be sure to get it with doors

saltysack
01-17-2018, 10:21
Looked at it but seems too big as already have cuben duomid, really want lil smaller...little more $$ than want to drop also..thx

hikermiker
01-17-2018, 11:50
I am a restless sleeper. In a hammock I always end up at ground level anyway. Another disadvantage is that unless it is extremely warm a hammock is chilly without an underquilt. One more is that unless you are a contortionist it is impossible to change clothing in a hammock.
My best night in a hammock was near a shelter in Massachusetts. It was 85 or more during the day and I brought a fleece sleeping
bag which I slept on top of. My worst night was near a shelter in Vermont where I rehung it several times after hitting the ground and finally gave up and went into the shelter.

Time Zone
01-17-2018, 11:59
Quality of sleep is the main reason I prefer a tent/ground. Can't sleep on my back, period, and side sleep in hammock is hit-or-miss for me. I'd still like the hammock thing to work out, since I like staying high and dry. I've not given up quite yet, but not sure it'll happen for me, due to the quality of sleep issue.

johnspenn
01-17-2018, 12:15
Quality of sleep is the main reason I prefer a tent/ground. Can't sleep on my back, period, and side sleep in hammock is hit-or-miss for me. I'd still like the hammock thing to work out, since I like staying high and dry. I've not given up quite yet, but not sure it'll happen for me, due to the quality of sleep issue.

A bridge hammock might help in this situation.

Reverse
01-17-2018, 12:22
Folks with back issues: How does the hammock compare? I have tried hammocks for few hours and my back kills afterward. How do you configure your hammock so your back can handle it?

Lyle
01-17-2018, 12:53
Folks with back issues: How does the hammock compare? I have tried hammocks for few hours and my back kills afterward. How do you configure your hammock so your back can handle it?
1) Hang the hammock correctly. There should be moderate sag when the hammock is hanging freely. Stretched taught is counterproductive.

2) Lay diagonally in the hammock, not straight head to foot. This levels the hammock out.

I have back problems and am a side sleeper. Using the two suggestions above, I sleep much less restlessly in a hammock, usually wake up in the same position I went to sleep in. Also, allows me to lay on my side without problem. Hammocks are much more comfortable than ground sleeping, but in order to offer the same warmth, the system is substantially heavier and more bulky.

TX Aggie
01-17-2018, 13:11
Looked at it but seems too big as already have cuben duomid, really want lil smaller...little more $$ than want to drop also..thx

Pretty much any of the rectangular or cat cut Hammock tarps will work with a ground bivy setup as well. I have the Warbonnet Superfly and have set it up on the ground and it works very well. It’s available in silnylon and silpoly (I have the poly), and although it’s heavier than a dynema tarp, it’s also only $140-$165 for a full-sized tarp with doors. I’m planning to get a MLD Bug Bivy to use with it when a hammock may be impractical.

tagg
01-17-2018, 14:00

Position the hammock slightly closer to the tree by your feet rather than centering it exactly midway between the two trees, hang the foot end of the hammock about a foot higher than you attach the end by your head, and try to get the angle of the suspension line to the tree to be about a 30* angle. Sleep on a diagonal, as Lyle said.

Southeast
01-17-2018, 14:42

You can try a google search like the following and you’ll be able to read some threads on HammockForums:
“Giving up” site:Hammockforums.net

Or substitute in “switching back” or similar terms.

Based on threads I’ve seen, here are a few reasons:
* Claustrophobia. Some people don’t dig having a bug net near their face
* First night (or later nights) sleeping in a hammock sucked. Some people can’t get past their first impression - they could be cold, or cramped or restless. In some cases the person has made up their mind.
* Limited experience/wrong setup. Some folks buy or make some starter hammock gear to save money that turns out to be heavier, more complex, etc. They then get on a long trail without much hammock experience and see the lighter high end tents and decide to shave the weight and complexity.

All the above have solutions, but it’s why I think some people give up on a hammock.

Dogwood
01-17-2018, 16:32
1) Hang the hammock correctly. There should be moderate sag when the hammock is hanging freely. Stretched taught is counterproductive.

2) Lay diagonally in the hammock, not straight head to foot. This levels the hammock out.

I have back problems and am a side sleeper. Using the two suggestions above, I sleep much less restlessly in a hammock, usually wake up in the same position I went to sleep in. Also, allows me to lay on my side without problem. Hammocks are much more comfortable than ground sleeping, but in order to offer the same warmth, the system is substantially heavier and more bulky.

I find Asym hammocks do better in this regard. Possibly bridge hammocks as well. Anyone offer opinions on this?

DuneElliot
01-17-2018, 18:14

I do all these things and still have back pain, of course mine is more to do with an old injury. I still manage to sleep better in a hammock despite the niggling upper sprine pain (and yes, I've tried a mire firm hammock...probably helps some but made mine worse).

scope
01-17-2018, 19:30
First off, the ENO is short and too wide, so that can be one of the issues. Std now is 11' though I use a 10.5' DIY that is also wider than the 58" std.

Still, if you do one overnite in ANY hammock and you're not waking up and knowing it was a better sleep, or that you at least feel better getting up than from being in a tent, then don't bother. There's a learning curve to hanging, and especially for detailing your insulation as the hammock is less forgiving. I'll tell you this, once you learn about hanging, you'll realize how much you didn't know about insulation on the ground. And in some respects, I could see that as a valid reason for going back to a tent - that you know how to do it better, and perhaps lighter than you did before.

95%+ of those I know who've tried a hammock immediately know its for them and, therefore, are committed to learning how to do it better. And doing it better is a very personal thing, too, its not like we all reach this same spot of nirvana with hammocks. Each of us ends up going down similar but different paths and in most cases, it means going through several hammocks and other pieces of supplemental gear over time. I'm on #8, LOL.

I resisted at first and continued on my search for the perfect solo tent until I realized there wasn't one. Then I tried and committed. Or I've been committed, or something like that. :rolleyes:

gbolt
01-17-2018, 23:13
I like my Gammock Gear Winter Palace for both...which is why I got it. Serves as an A-frame tent on the ground and is palatial! Be sure to get it with doors
+1 on the HG Palace Tarp with Doors. If you look on my YouTube Channel, one video shows it set up with trekking poles as an A Frame Bottomless Tent.

Vanhalo
03-02-2018, 23:55
I have only slept on the ground once in my life.

Hammock....over 130 times...I wouldn't even be interested in hiking if it were not for the hammock.

saltysack
03-03-2018, 00:22
I hope I like my new hammock set up.....it wasn’t cheap! I bought quality so if it’s not for me at least I’ll be able to recoup most of my $$. I’ve never slept all that well on the ground and have tried many a pad and pillow.....I hope the hammock is for me but can definitely see it taking several trips to get the “hang” of it! Definitely a lot more to setting up than staking out the mid and blowing up a pad! I’m sure my maiden voyage will involve lots of four letter words while trying to set up at 9:00 @ night with 25* temps....I can’t remember the last time I actually got to camp before dark....

BuckeyeBill
03-03-2018, 04:07
Go over to a sister site that just talks hammocks, Hammocks Forum (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php) There is a section that talks about Hangouts (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/113-Southeast) and other get togethers the link listed takes straight to the southeast section. You can also go to YouTube and search for Shug Emery videos. There are a lot of them and he's a character but his information spot on. Hope this helps.

cmoulder
03-03-2018, 07:45
I hope I like my new hammock set up.....it wasn’t cheap! I bought quality so if it’s not for me at least I’ll be able to recoup most of my $$. I’ve never slept all that well on the ground and have tried many a pad and pillow.....I hope the hammock is for me but can definitely see it taking several trips to get the “hang” of it! Definitely a lot more to setting up than staking out the mid and blowing up a pad! I’m sure my maiden voyage will involve lots of four letter words while trying to set up at 9:00 @ night with 25* temps....I can’t remember the last time I actually got to camp before dark....

Definitely do some trips to the local park to practice setting up, as well as a few short overnight trips to tweak things. There's most assuredly a learning curve and lots of bits to fine tune.

It takes a while to develop a feel for accurately estimating distances between trees (5-6 steps is perfect for me!) and getting hang angles and hammock height just right, learning that you want the foot end a good 6-8" higher than the head end, getting comfortable with diagonal lay, and, especially, getting a good, snug fit with the UQ.

As far as suspension, I quickly developed a disdain for whoopie slings because they require too much distance between trees to deploy and therefore often require that the tree straps be quite high on the tree in order to get a proper 30 degree strap angle while raising the hammock far enough off the ground, which also introduces more sag into the system. Which means you wake up in the middle of the night with your butt damn near dragging into the snow, leaves or dirt. Better to go with some sort of long strap system that lets you adjust the hammock's continuous loops (CL) all the way up to the tree, using buckles or Becket or J-Bend, etc.

My most recent, favoritest suspension setup is to use long straps (15' Venom, but any strap will do) with a Marlin spike hitch with the CL looped directly around it as you would with a whoopie. Easy to deploy, easy to re-adjust, easy to disassemble, and works with trees close together or farther apart.

42073 42072

MtDoraDave
03-03-2018, 08:32
While not my personal experience, it's anecdotal hammock experience...
On one of my section hikes last year, I met a couple of young(er than me) veterans somewhere around Hot Springs who switched from hammock to tent after one of them was woken up in the middle of the night being pawed by a bear. He said he couldn't get to his knife or gun or whatever he had fast enough because he was all bundled up in his hammock/ sleeping bag. He was terrified, but eventually he was able to shoo the bear away. Next town, he bought a tent. He said that he told every hammocker he came across after that, "You're gonna die in that thing" .
Probably not a common occurrence, but to the OP, that's why he switched.

cmoulder
03-03-2018, 08:49
So the guy felt that 15D nylon and mesh will stop a determined bear? lol :-?

blw2
03-03-2018, 09:21
So the guy felt that 15D nylon and mesh will stop a determined bear? lol :-?

when I read it, I assumed that he figured he's look a little less like a bad bear bag hang.

cmoulder
03-03-2018, 10:08
Bears are guided by their extremely acute sense of smell. Keep a clean camp that is set up away from regular camping areas with lots of residual food odors and the odds of ever having a problem are astronomically small whether tent or hammock camping.

Hammock camping makes this much easier. Since a flat piece of rock-/root-free ground is not required, it opens up a lot more possibilities for camping away from the crowd.

Nonetheless, I'm going to wait a full year before I start selling off my ground-dweller gear! ;)

Recalc
03-03-2018, 12:00
As far as suspension, I quickly developed a disdain for whoopie slings because they require too much distance between trees to deploy and therefore often require that the tree straps be quite high on the tree in order to get a proper 30 degree strap angle while raising the hammock far enough off the ground, which also introduces more sag into the system.

Agreed. Started with whoopie slings because it is a stock setup in so many hammocks and there are lots of tutorials on its usage, but felt the system felt restrictive when hanging between trees shorter in distance to each other. Just ordered Spiders 2.0 straps from Dutchware, and plan to use like cmoulder in the pics above. This appears to be a simpler system, and it saved me a few ounces.

devoidapop
03-03-2018, 14:51
blw2, did you wind up going with a hammock, or sticking to the ground? If you did, how was your experience?

JM0278
03-03-2018, 19:52
I see this is an older thread, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is "calf ridge". I had the full-up nicer Hennesy hammock and tarp, bought Hammock Gear under and top quilts, and made some other gear to hold my stuff up off the ground (I call it a "gear hammock".) But after well over a dozen trips, making my own hammock, getting a new Superfly tarp, and many, many hours of experimentation...I've happily gone back to tenting. I just couldn't find a lay in the hammock that didn't put a ridge under my calf muscles regardless of what I did. I watched all of Shug's videos, bought and read "The Ultimate Hang", but calf ridge seems to be one of those things that afflict some people but not others. I still have my quilts, DIY hammock w/bug screen, and Superfly tarp and may well use them when there's snow on the ground, but my tent is now my preferred abode.

While calf ridge was the final deal breaker, there were other issues -- setting up on some slopes could result in a breeze blowing in from underneath (I failed to mention that I also bought an underquilt protector). On a trip in the Red River Gorge, I had an animal, pretty sure it was a raccoon, sniff me through the hammock inches from my ear. (I've heard a person in a hammock looks just like a taco to a bear.:) ) The other thing I noticed...and I've seen this in many other hammock camping videos, is that "I had a really good night...except for _________". It just always seemed like there was one little thing in the hammock setup that didn't work well. And, given the number of "moving parts" in a hammock setup, that's not really surprising.

It is most definitely possible to get a hammock "dialed in" and it is indeed supremely comfortable when it all works well. But I've come to prefer the convenience, consistency, and overall utility of my MSR NX2.

FWIW

Jim

gbolt
03-03-2018, 20:11
JMO278,

Shug has stated that Hammocks are not for everyone and that it’s more important that you just get outside. However, if Calf Ridge is the major issue, the main culprit is the length of the hammock. Until recently, there seemed to be no way to correct for this. However, with newer Hammock models, the complaints are much less frequent. The main change is to go to an 11 or 12 foot hammock in a wide version. The longer and wider you can lay asymmetrically, the flatter the lay and no calf ridge. I would suggest you pass on your current hammock to a smaller family member as a starter hammock and go for a newer 12ft from Warbonnet, Dutchware, or Dream. I purchased mine right before the WB XLC release and even since then, technology has changed the Hammock industry. This last year, the Chameleon has created more versatility and options to remove the “except for _______” issue. But again, I understand the consistency issue. Especially the consistency of condensation! JK.

blw2
03-03-2018, 22:07
blw2, did you wind up going with a hammock, or sticking to the ground? If you did, how was your experience?
I ended up buying a duplex tent to "replace" my heavier tent as a backpacking shelter. I'm still curious about hammocks in a way. Recently my wife bought a double gathered end hammock t replace our spreader bar type in the backyard. It's a heavy cotton-ish feeling fabric but fun to experiment with and try some of these things I've read about and watch Shug and others on youtube mention.... angles of hang, calf ridge, etc....

The main reason I've so far stuck to the ground is that the hang seems so complicated in some ways...
and laying in my backyard hammock I find that it can be extremely comfortable sometimes, but other times not so much. It's a fixed hang so it's all something mysterious in my positioning as I sit into it... maybe how far up or down the foot end to I sit, at what angle I lay, pillow placement, I don't know.... maybe it's some complicated equation..... (my mood at the time) + (the square root of the moon phase) - (angle of hang) = my relative comfort.
The other negative for me is not having my little oasis area to spread out my stuff, change clothes, or whatever.... except for the sleeping time, i find the idea of a hammock kind of confined and cramped.
I do see the obvious advantages too though....sitting and relaxing in "porch mode" & setting up over uneven ground, among many other things...so I am definitely still curious about the idea.... I think if I was able to get out more often than I do I'd definitely get some gear and give it a try. I just am not finding myself getting out as often as I'd like to experiment. For now I'm just sticking with what I know and experimenting in the backyard.

cmoulder
03-04-2018, 09:29
I think if I was able to get out more often than I do I'd definitely get some gear and give it a try. I just am not finding myself getting out as often as I'd like to experiment. For now I'm just sticking with what I know and experimenting in the backyard.

Bingo! Familiarity that comes from frequent use is key.

I find that when I encounter calf ridge with the Chameleon (11ft, 58" width, 1.1 oz Hexon) that it's because I've moved around while sleeping and need to shift back more to the diagonal.

I also find calf ridge almost non-existent with the DH Darien (10ft, 64" width, 1.7 oz Robic) and I think it's because it is an asymmetrical design (I sleep head right, feet left) and the fabric is much less stretchy.

YMMV. A bunch! :)

TX Aggie
03-04-2018, 14:46
I’ve been hammocking for a little over a year now and I thoroughly enjoy it. I went out for a winter hike in January where the nights dropped to right at 0*F, and I can honestly say that with the right quilts I think winter camping in a hammock is MUCH easier and comfortable than in a tent.

I have considered going to ground when being very fast and light would be a priority in the warmer months: small tarp, sleeping pad, and a light quilt is all you would need. But I would t do this for more than a couple of nights.